Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

tbh that sounds like begrudgery to me. somebody else is lucky enough to have rich parents and you don't.

Unpopular opinion: Labelling someone's opinion as begrudgery just because you don't agree with it should be outlawed in Ireland.

paw patrol wrote: »
    The virtuous doth protest too much, methinks :pac:

You think 99% of people in Ireland would be happy to see the Gardai murder someone for using a forged twenty euro note? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Am I the only one still not understanding the thrust of the argument for a total /higher inheritance tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

paw patrol wrote: »
    The virtuous doth protest too much, methinks :pac:

no virtue here. your opinion was just ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Am I the only one still not understanding the thrust of the argument for a total /higher inheritance tax?

It went something like this.
    Poster said . "why should I [pay the higher rate of tax opn my salary when someone can inherit money and not have to pay tax on it."

Let me translate.
    "I begrudge them their windfall because I have to pay tax on my salary"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Giving people access to the internet was a bad idea,

Giving people access to the internet was a bad idea,

Id love to see what happened if the internet was turned off for a month :)

The thing of it is I know a very wealthy (and intelligent)acquaintance who believes in a 100% inheritance tax but I’ve never had the chance to ask him why he thinks it’s a good idea. So was hoping to get an intelligent answer that makes some sort of sense here.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

JimmyVik wrote: »
    What will annihilate us is the Irish way of wanting everything that someone else gets taken off them, just because you dont have it.

no, what will annihilate us is this thinking that continually running an economy on perpetual asset price inflation

The thing of it is I know a very wealthy (and intelligent)acquaintance who believes in a 100% inheritance tax but I’ve never had the chance to ask him why he thinks it’s a good idea. So was hoping to get an intelligent answer that makes some sort of sense here.

The argument could be made that the state could use that money to enhance the quality of outcome for everyone and not just the privileged few that receive the inheritance directly. Of course it all boils down to your trust in the state apparatus to use that money properly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,655 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The thing of it is I know a very wealthy (and intelligent)acquaintance who believes in a 100% inheritance tax
    i.e. he means complete forfeiture of assets, or 100% of assets should be taxable?

JimmyVik wrote: »
    It went something like this.
    Poster said . "why should I [pay the higher rate of tax opn my salary when someone can inherit money and not have to pay tax on it."

Let me translate.
    "I begrudge them their windfall because I have to pay tax on my salary"

Begrudgery brought up again. Irish discussion forum Bingo!!!

i.e. he means complete forfeiture of assets, or 100% of assets should be taxable?

Complete forfeiture. He’s not a lefty loony either.

The argument could be made that the state could use that money to enhance the quality of outcome for everyone and not just the privileged few that receive the inheritance directly. Of course it all boils down to your trust in the state apparatus to use that money properly.

Privileged few? I’d imagine at least 80% of people at least receive some inheritance windfall in their lives?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,655 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's not what i was arguing, FWIW. my argument was that the ceiling of ~€350k for a son or daughter to be able to inherit before inheritance tax starts to be levied is way too high, that we should tax inheritance in the same way we tax income.

but you'll find that generally speaking it's the well off who benefit most from the high ceiling, and as a corollary, it's the well off who are often more able to espouse an argument like his, well, because they're already well off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Unpopular opinion:
    Football and the recent stuff going on with super leagues is not that important.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

He is.

Privileged few? I’d imagine at least 80% of people at least receive some inheritance windfall in their lives?

You were talking about some form a privileged background.

Sure, the majority of people will probably get an inheritance but usually it's going to be divided amongst siblings. It'll probably be a decent amount but it's not going to be earth shattering.

Begrudgery brought up again. Irish discussion forum Bingo!!!

Exactly.
    The country is awash with it.
    Ive been to many countries but only in Ireland is it that 90% of the people want to pull others into the sh!t with them, so they will be both covered in sh!t, rather than lift themselves out of it, so they can both not be covered in it.

He is.

He’s a hedge fund manager so it would be a strange dichotomy if he was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Apparently unpopular opinion based on the last few posts: I think the inheritance tax is reasonable as it is.

Sure, the majority of people will probably get an inheritance but usually it's going to be divided amongst siblings. It'll probably be a decent amount but it's not going to be earth shattering.

I was talking about the argument for 100% inheritance tax that FVP4 mentioned 2 or so pages back.

Just eating some wine gums here (Rum and Sherry written on them) and thinking back to when i was a kid and used to buy those candy cigarettes in the shop.
    They are banned now. Is there not the same issue with wine gums ? :)

with three siblings, the assets/estate being left by a parent would need to be worth a million euro before any tax is payable, under the current scheme.
    and the average house price in ireland is about €300k, so yes, i suspect the vast majority of estates left don't hit any current threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Can the inheritance tax stuff be talked about somewhere else please...

that's not what i was arguing, FWIW. my argument was that the ceiling of ~€350k for a son or daughter to be able to inherit before inheritance tax starts to be levied is way too high, that we should tax inheritance in the same way we tax income.

but you'll find that generally speaking it's the well off who benefit most from the high ceiling, and as a corollary, it's the well off who are often more able to espouse an argument like his, because they're already well off.

I don't think that's the case. People who are inheriting multiple millions are hardly going to be affected at all by the 310k, and nor are people at the lower end of the income spectrum who never find themselves in a position to accrue wealth over their lifetime.

Much like most proposed taxes, a change in the threshold from 310k to (for instance) 31k is going to hit the middle-class people whose parents have perhaps managed to work and pay for a property and make some savings in retirement, to the tune of up to ~80k. Which is a pretty insignificant amount if you're inheriting a few million, but nearly a third of what you might have inherited if you were set to receive ~300k.

Reducing the threshold by that much is going to do hardly anything to "the rich". And making inheritance tax 100% is going to either incentivise parents to subsidise their children earlier in life where they might otherwise have expected them to stand on their own two and what have you, or drive many of the highest taxpayers and wealthiest business owners to move elsewhere. People have emigrated for far less than 100% of their family wealth before now.

The only way a 100% inheritance tax could work as intended would be if it were global... and then the very people whose wealth you are trying to target have the most influence over the system of taxation.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

stoneill wrote: »

this is a very unpopular opinion, welcome to the thread

stoneill wrote: »
    huh? i thought this was a thread for unpopular opinions. i seem to have met the brief.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,283 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Whatever about inheritance tax being a sickener, rental income tax disgusts me!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Of all the things the government looks at and says 'lets tax that just because we can', I think the dog licence is the most laughable.

Advertisement