Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I make a nice wage. Ive been working for over 30 years now.
    But im sick of working now and would like to give it up for a year or even forever.
    If I go down to the dole office and say "I want to give up work and go on the dole please"
    They would tell me to fcuk off.

I am even willing to swap my well paid job for some long term unemployed persons dole. He can have my job, and I have his dole.
    Whats the problem here? Let me just give up work and go on the dole. Let him take my job and complain that the salary should be taxed more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I think Boris Johnson has been an excellent PM so far, the best since Blair. And has a clarity that mocks the bumbling eejit persona he is painted.

And I also think he is a sound devil.

In fact, he is miles better than any of our senior politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I think Boris Johnson has been an excellent PM so far, the best since Blair. And has a clarity that mocks the bumbling eejit persona he is painted.

And I also think he is a sound devil.

In fact, he is miles better than any of our senior politicians.

He has about as much clarity as Helen Keller running a Specsavers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭cms88

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I make a nice wage. Ive been working for over 30 years now.
    But im sick of working now and would like to give it up for a year or even forever.
    If I go down to the dole office and say "I want to give up work and go on the dole please"
    They would tell me to fcuk off.

I am even willing to swap my well paid job for some long term unemployed persons dole. He can have my job, and I have his dole.
    Whats the problem here? Let me just give up work and go on the dole. Let him take my job and complain that the salary should be taxed more.

Unless you're in the public sector of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

osarusan wrote: »
    Apparently unpopular opinion based on the last few posts: I think the inheritance tax is reasonable as it is.

Given that it is the highest in the world, I don't think it's reasonable at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

walshb wrote: »
    Whatever about inheritance tax being a sickener, rental income tax disgusts me!!!

It should absolutely be a flat 20% with the full expenses of keeping a property including the full mortgage payment deductible pre tax.

Whether people like it or not, rental rates are directly tied to the full cost of the property washing its own face. with the way tax is at present a landlord has to charge 2x the mortgage cost in rent to make any money , if you lower the tax and whats not allowed as an expense you'll fix the rental price issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

cnocbui wrote: »
    Given that it is the highest in the world, I don't think it's reasonable at all.

It should be completely tax free up to a million and 25% after.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,655 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a very quick google would seem to contradict that; france's top rate is 45% and it's only the first 100k which is not liable for tax. japan's top rate is 55%.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

What’s the source for that? I didn’t think it would be higher than the UK or USA but I don’t know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I agree with whatever the maximum inheritance tax we can implement before it leads people to squander their businesses before they die due to lack of motivation as they approach their inevitable demise.

I mean I'm 100% driven by the idea that the more meritocratic we can make society the more productive it will be. Inheritance is like cheating in a competition.

The only valid argument I accept against it, is that no government on earth seems capable of not squandering tax revenue.

There's nothing I hate more though, than people who feel entitled to inheritance, we all get one life, we deserve nothing else.

• Advertisement

a very quick google would seem to contradict that; france's top rate is 45% and it's only the first 100k which is not liable for tax. japan's top rate is 55%.

Well maybe it's out of date:
    Ireland has the highest death taxes in world

IRELAND has the highest death taxes of any of the world's major economies, according to a new study.

The report, by the global accountancy network UHY, found that Ireland's inheritance tax was more than three times the international average and far higher than that charged by other countries in the European Union.
    https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ireland-has-the-highest-death-taxes-in-world-30158169.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,655 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's difficult to make a definitive statement because it seems to change depending on how much you inherit; from a bit more reading, both france and japan have lower thresholds before tax is applied, but then a sliding scale above that threshold. based on their systems, if i read correctly, you're better off in ireland if you inherit say 300k, worse off if you inherit say €1m, and then better off again if you inherit say €5m.

this is the french system:

Between parents and children
    Tax-free allowance per child: 100,000 €

Above this level, taxes are payable at the following rate:
    Band of value Rate of tax
    Less than 8,072 € 5%
    8,072 € to 12,109 € 10%
    12,109 € to 15,932 € 15%
    15,932 € to 552,324 € 20%
    552,324 € to 902,838 € 30%
    902,838 € to 1,805,677 € 40%
    1,805,677 € upwards 45%

Isn't it the fashion these days to gift your kids a few k each year tax free for the last couple of decades?

it's difficult to make a definitive statement because it seems to change depending on how much you inherit; from a bit more reading, both france and japan have lower thresholds before tax is applied, but then a sliding scale above that threshold. based on their systems, if i read correctly, you're better off in ireland if you inherit say 300k, worse off if you inherit say €1m, and then better off again if you inherit say €5m.

this is the french system:

Between parents and children
    Tax-free allowance per child: 100,000 €

Above this level, taxes are payable at the following rate:
    Band of value Rate of tax
    Less than 8,072 € 5%
    8,072 € to 12,109 € 10%
    12,109 € to 15,932 € 15%
    15,932 € to 552,324 € 20%
    552,324 € to 902,838 € 30%
    902,838 € to 1,805,677 € 40%
    1,805,677 € upwards 45%

This is the Australian and NZ system: Good on ya, lucky bugger.

Isn't it the fashion these days to gift your kids a few k each year tax free for the last couple of decades?
    you can give a son or daughter (who is no longer a dependent) €3k p.a. and it does not impinge upon their (lifetime!) allowance of €350k.

What about a family business or a farm say, there should be an exception there surely, if the child continues a productive business it's better for everyone.

Or do they just borrow against future income to pay the tax?

yeah, that's an obvious exception; or where a son or daughter is living in the family home and an inheritance tax bill could mean selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Just eating some wine gums here (Rum and Sherry written on them) and thinking back to when i was a kid and used to buy those candy cigarettes in the shop.
    They are banned now. Is there not the same issue with wine gums ? :)
    Sssh... don't give them any ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

What about a family business or a farm say, there should be an exception there surely, if the child continues a productive business it's better for everyone.

Farms / businesses

https://www.revenue.ie/en/gains-gifts-and-inheritance/cat-reliefs/index.aspx

Overview
    If you inherit or receive a gift of agricultural property, you may qualify for Agricultural Relief. This relief reduces the taxable value of the property, including land, by 90%. The relief is subject to conditions.

If the agricultural property comprised in your gift or inheritance does not qualify for Agricultural Relief, it may qualify for Business Relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Example: 1m euro farm

Assuming conditions are met, value for CAT is 100,000

CAT allowance is 335k, so no CAT due.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Leftist policies have really done a job on the working person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Your Face wrote: »
    Leftist policies have really done a job on the working person.

It makes me not want to be a working person anymore tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

The supposed war on drugs is only a cover to make sure the state has enough police employed in case citizens decided to try overthrow the government by force.

If there was no "war on drugs" the police force could be drastically cut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

But wouldn't a farm be run as a business and the kids (if they were interested in running the business) would already be directors etc of the business?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

EddieN75 wrote: »
    The supposed war on drugs is only a cover to make sure the state has enough police employed in case citizens decided to try overthrow the government by force.

If there was no "war on drugs" the police force could be drastically cut

Are you at taking about Ireland? If you are, that's one of the most absurd things I've read on here.

Are you at taking about Ireland? If you are, that's one of the most absurd things I've read on here.

Probably one of those people who's obsessed with American politics, but pays zero attention to local affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Private medical insurance should not have a mandatory charge for pregnancy and maternity cover. As a man, I will never need it, and it annoys me no length it's there so that other people can afford it. Meanwhile it costs me extra to have decent mental health cover, something I would most definitely use.

Jazz music in clubs is just random noises and is highly irritating

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

EddieN75 wrote: »
    Jazz music in clubs is just random noises and is highly irritating

Agreed but it's a predominantly black music genre so you have to tread lightly with your criticisms. Same with rap if you can even consider that music.

• Advertisement

coinop wrote: »
    Agreed but it's a predominantly black music genre so you have to tread lightly with your criticisms. Same with rap if you can even consider that music.

I was watching Collateral on Netflix ( it's ****e,don't bother) and there was a scene in a jazz club. Complete random sounds thrown together. Very irritating. I turned the volume down and made a cup of tea instead.

Advertisement