Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Unprotected sex rather than promiscuity but agreed that this celebration of him is ridiculous.

Unprotected sex is one of the most irresponsible, selfish things a person can engage in.

Seriously?
    More selfish than theft, rape, domestic abuse, child neglect, insurance fraud, social media bullying, refusing to share your donuts,

Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

The 1950s just called - they want their puritanical attitude towards consensual sex between adults back.

Yer Da sells Avon will you ever be quiet? The name of this particular thread is unpopular opinions - that poster you're quoting knows what what he's saying is an unpopular opinion. Promiscuity is a known risk factor for HIV.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

the taoiseach Leo Varadkar hates ireland and he is single handidly destroying this country with his globalist obedience!

Popular Opinion , I would think. I find him embarrassing to look at, even along side Boris he looked like a moron, that's some achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

BDI wrote: »
    Seriously?
    More selfish than theft, rape, domestic abuse, child neglect, insurance fraud, social media bullying, refusing to share your donuts,

Seriously?
    Well I didn't say anything about it being *more* selfish than the first six things did I? Although the seventh one is just unconscionable.

I knew it from the days it was known by it's gangley letter title in 1996.

Now, in 2019 I think the entity that is YAHOO! needs to DIE. There is nothing left of worth -

Stories come up a day later than Bing and Google
    Yahoo Answers, full of trolls and other "Bad Actors" (that's what trolls are called in YouTube legalese)
    Flickr sold off to smugmug.

• Advertisement

Boardsies who post more than once in a row, like this one, and multiple times are mostly GOBSH|TE in character, even in replying to other posters.
    Morseso if the thread is not in AH and Ranting and Raving.
    Myself included. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Unprotected sex rather than promiscuity but agreed that this celebration of him is ridiculous.

Unprotected sex is one of the most irresponsible, selfish things a person can engage in.

Well this what springs to my mind with Gareth Thomas and his HIV diagnosis. He didn't just wake up with HIV and he is just some sort of innocent victim here.

As a gay man, he engaged in high risk sexual conduct.

While I have yet to see the documentary and perhaps I am jumping the gun but I seriously hope this message is strongly put out there rather than a 'woe is me' stigma of HIV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Ya it's conveniently over looked that Africans were selling other Africans as slaves. They weren't innocent.

There are still millions of slaves in places like Benin and Mauritania today-not bonded labour or "slavelike conditions" but actual "yeah this is Bob, he's my slave."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Well this what springs to my mind with Gareth Thomas and his HIV diagnosis. He didn't just wake up with HIV and he is just some sort of innocent victim here.

As a gay man, he engaged in high risk sexual conduct.

While I have yet to see the documentary and perhaps I am jumping the gun but I seriously hope this message is strongly put out there rather than a 'woe is me' stigma of HIV.

That's the thing. I really think the gay community are protected from criticism when it comes to misadventure. Same with the drinking culture- there seems to be more binge drinking among the gay community that is conveniently ignored by critics, yet young lads doing the same are condemned. At least, young lads generally mature in their drinking habits when the get older.

That's the thing. I really think the gay community are protected from criticism when it comes to misadventure. Same with the drinking culture- there seems to be more binge drinking among the gay community that is conveniently ignored by critics, yet young lads doing the same are condemned. At least, young lads generally mature in their drinking habits when the get older.

Another thing is this drug called Prep which helps combat HIV infection if taken preemptively on a daily basis.

Basically the (male) gay community are campaigning to this freely available on the NHS in England (I live there). So as a politician basically pointed out:

'Hold on. So you want the tax payer to pay for you have a daily drug so you can engage in high risk sexual practices i.e. unprotected sex with strangers on one night stands. Right.'

And when a gay person is infected there is a big hullabaloo about Prep not being available. You can imagine the reaction is if the straight community went around screaming and wailing with a HIV infection?

'Well, that's what you get for having engaging in high risk sexual practices.'- Basically it's your own fault.

But with the gay community, it's society's fault for not giving them this drug at the tax payers expense.

Talk about an complete abdication of personal responsibility but they are gay so that's alright. Any criticism is you being a closed minded homophob.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Derry Girls is absolutely terrible.

The first episode was brilliant, in some mad hyperbole I even told the missus (who hadn't seen it) it was Fr Ted level.

It fell off a cliff after a few episodes and the second series was just awful, I only watched it cos she does.

Though I will say the grandad and Tommy Tiernan's character get some great lines. But the main characters, it's tragic, amateur stuff.

That’s the worst part, their interaction! It was mildly amusing in episode one but the “Father-in-law hates son-in-law” thing was old and unfunny by episode two.

Overall, I was disappointed. It had great potential. Michelle and the nun are excellent but other than, it’s like a competition for who can gurn and overact the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

PC culture is making people dishonest, in fact it in encourages duality and dissimulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

thats ok. your previous post came across that you think it never happens.
    its obvious it happens a fair bit. why woldnt it. hat human behaviour. why wouldnt you time things to work in your favour.

a friend of mine from collage posted up on his facebook that his girlfriend just have a child. she is a teacher. child is a few weeks early . that would mean she would be back from paid maternity leave by april and may then off for a few months. convenient

1.The child was early,you cant "plan" that.
    2.Its not having a "few months off".Its looking after a child constantly.Shes not sitting there getting her nails done.Looking after a newborn is hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Catching HIV doesn't make you a hero, garreth Thomas response is tedious

If it was 30 years ago when people didn't know any better there might be some excuse but going bareback in this day in age is just plain stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

For all you know he got tested with a partner who then caught it. At the time it probably still took 6 months to show up in a test.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Ralph Ciffereto

That’s the worst part, their interaction! It was mildly amusing in episode one but the “Father-in-law hates son-in-law” thing was old and unfunny by episode two.

I don't know, I find them quite funny myself. About it's only redeeming quality really.

The scrips for the teen protagonists are mostly cringeworthy. And the English lad, it worked as a one episode joke but I can't work out what his role is meant to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

The really clever people are mostly men, the really stupid people are mostly men, women are mostly in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Another thing is this drug called Prep which helps combat HIV infection if taken preemptively on a daily basis.

Basically the (male) gay community are campaigning to this freely available on the NHS in England (I live there). So as a politician basically pointed out:

'Hold on. So you want the tax payer to pay for you have a daily drug so you can engage in high risk sexual practices i.e. unprotected sex with strangers on one night stands. Right.'

And when a gay person is infected there is a big hullabaloo about Prep not being available. You can imagine the reaction is if the straight community went around screaming and wailing with a HIV infection?

'Well, that's what you get for having engaging in high risk sexual practices.'- Basically it's your own fault.

But with the gay community, it's society's fault for not giving them this drug at the tax payers expense.

Talk about an complete abdication of personal responsibility but they are gay so that's alright. Any criticism is you being a closed minded homophob.

Gays are a sacred cow of the Liberal left

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Jmsg

vriesmays wrote: »
    The really clever people are mostly men, the really stupid people are mostly men, women are mostly in the middle.

Yep no female Jeffery Dahmers but no female Leonardo da Vincis either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Whilst people are usually obese due to eating too much, to say that intellectual disability is the only other reason is erroneous. It’s not clear even why intellectual disability would cause obesity.

But anyway, for example: some prescription steroids (which some individuals are on long-term) powerfully stimulate hunger in some people, there are types of brain surgery that can leave a person with insatiable hunger if a certain part of the brain is affected and when it comes to stomach ulcers, some ulcers are irritated by eating whilst others are actually settled by eating. That last bit seems counterintuitive but it’s thought that food hitting the stomach dilutes down the acidity of the stomach acid and therefore aggravation of the ulcer lessens. I had a housemate who relieved stomach ulcer pain by eating. He wasn’t overweight because he wasn’t constantly plagued by the pain but others could be.

So, that’s a few examples where greed or intellectual disability aren’t the cause. And your opinion on them doesn’t really matter. They are what they are.

All nonsense.
    Eat less. Move more.

We could have done with all these fat genes during the famine and I can guarantee that most obese people are not on steroids, have not had brain surgery and do not have ulcers.
    People are fat because they take in more calories than they put out. Repeatedly.

Treatment of obesity related disease is going to bankrupt healthcare systems worldwide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Ireland will get a roasting at the rugby WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Rodin wrote: »
    All nonsense.
    Eat less. Move more.

We could have done with all these fat genes during the famine and I can guarantee that most obese people are not on steroids, have not had brain surgery and do not have ulcers.
    People are fat because they take in more calories than they put out. Repeatedly.

Treatment of obesity related disease is going to bankrupt healthcare systems worldwide.

Im fat and unfortunately unless you have been you have no idea about it.

The shame,afraid to eat in public.Unlike alcohol or cigarettes you cant just cut food out of your life completely.Theres a lot of emotional reasons why people are fat.Its not all about just eating for the sake of it.People have bad relationships with food.

Gwynplaine wrote: »

I think Ireland will seriously struggle to beat Japan and Scotland and make it out of the group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

Gwynplaine wrote: »

The rugby lads are no strangers to that.

Looking back at old photos hardly anyone 50 or 60 years ago was fat probably because they ate less processed foods and most of them worked at manual labour and cycled everywhere.

I don't doubt in certain cases there are medical reasons for being fat but lets be honest in most cases it's because people like their grub too much and are too lazy to exercise.

I was one of these people until I got my act together and stopped making excuses for being overweight.

Looking back at old photos hardly anyone 50 or 60 years ago was fat probably because they ate less processed foods and most of them worked at manual labour and cycled everywhere.

There is also an abundance of food available. Fast food everywhere, outlets, shops etc and it is cheap. People also ate at set times- 3 times a day. Now people snack/graze.

Looking at the school photos from the 1980's there was no fat children in my national school year. We played football outside all evening and during the summer. I cycled everywhere and to school every single day from the age of 11 until 15 (then I changed school) even in the worst of weather.

In my local village in the 1980's there was not one fast food outlet. Now there is a chipper and some sort of Indian/Kebab shop next to each other.

There is also an abundance of food available. Fast food everywhere, outlets, shops etc and it is cheap. People also ate at set times- 3 times a day. Now people snack/graze.

Looking at the school photos from the 1980's there was no fat children in my national school year. We played football outside all evening and during the summer. I cycled everywhere and to school every single day from the age of 11 until 15 (then I changed school) even in the worst of weather.

In my local village in the 1980's there was not one fast food outlet. Now there is a chipper and some sort of Indian/Kebab shop next to each other.

And sweet machines in most workplaces, the one in our place needs to be refilled daily.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Why after spending so many years on their knees to the British Empire and the Catholic Church Empire are Irish People so keen to be on their knees to the Eu .

If you keep doing the same thing over and over again you get the same Results .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

blinding wrote: »
    Why after spending so many years on their knees to the British Empire and the Catholic Church Empire are Irish People so keen to be on their knees to the Eu .

Because in a shrinking world, small nations need alliances, Ireland has no business being as rich as it is, we owe most of it to being a gateway to the EU market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rocksolidfat

blinding wrote: »

I'll happily take the results of the last 45 years, thank you very much!

EDIT: Deleted the rest of the post, had mistaken myself for being in the Brexit thread.

Advertisement