Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

Antares35 wrote: »
    Maybe you think those people don't deserve the same help.

And that's a wrap. I don't argue with people who casually insert words into other people's mouths. Believe what you want, it makes no difference to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

This thread is devolving into popular opinions over the last few pages: "People who don't want to wear a mask are stupid", "No one should be entitled to a free house", "Cyclists should pay road tax" etc.

Maybe inevitable that this happens?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,655 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to be fair the last one you list is both popular and unpopular but currently has its own thread which is going around in circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Ireland overrates its poets because it has no world-class composers, social theorists, psychologists, artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

vriesmays wrote: »
    Ireland overrates its poets because it has no world-class composers, social theorists, psychologists, artists.

This is a really good one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I don’t think people ( celebrities) should be parading sick husbands all over the media. Kate Garroway has plastered every detail of her sick husband on the media and I am not convinced that he is even well enough to consent . He certainly wasn’t when he was in a coma

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The poets are a dismal load of sad-sacks, according to my children who are glad they no longer have to be exposed to that depressing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Imagine a maths degree in college allowing students in with pass maths in the LC. That's what Ireland's done with music degrees and now there's a generation of music graduates who can't read music notation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

cnocbui wrote: »
    The poets are dismal load of sad-sacks, according to my children who are glad they no longer have to exposed to that depressing stuff.

I would half-agree with you only most culture now is demoralising. How can the average person stand to watch Netflix dystopia series or documentaries about serial killers if they find Yeats dismal?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Would it not be the rest of the world over-rating them, no? There’s a fair amount of international “recognition” for them that a lot of them don’t get here.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

cnocbui wrote: »
    Vehicle taxation should be solely on the weight of the vehicle, not on whether it's private or commercial or it's energy source.

Damage to roads is a whopping 4th power relationship by weight - meaning a lightly taxed, but heavy, Tesla LR does 4.3 times as much damage to a road as say a 1285 Kg petrol driven hatch back. But the Tesla will be taxed 1/6th as much in road tax, which is based on emissions.

A large Semi truck will do as much damage to a road as 9,600 cars.

The weight of a vehicle also makes a massive difference in terms of societal cost due to injuries in vehicle accidents, with drivers of heavier vehicles reducing their own level of injuries if they collide with a lighter vehicle, while worsening the injuries - or killing - those in the lighter vehicle.

It's beyond weird that governments seem to see no moral hazard to allowing heavy vehicle drivers to basically transfer their share of personal injury and deaths to people in lighter vehicles, with no consequence or cost. In the US, it's basically a vehicle weight and size arms race, which has lead to 'trucks' being the most popular vehicle segment. You even have a few utter loons here in Ireland who are champing at the bit to import and drive 4,550Kg Tesla Cybertrucks - a guaranteed death sentence for almost any other motorist involved in anything but a minor collision with one.

Taxing vehicles by their weight would be more appropriate than by their emissions.

Don't be talking sense or using logic we won't solve anything that way !

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Raising cattle here so someone can have a cheap Big Mac in UK while we pay massive EU fines for CO2 emission is bloody insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Sexy sells in pop music.

Miley Cyrus started as a wholesome virgin.

Taylor Swift too.

Now Billie Eilish is posing on the front cover of Vogue showing off her body.

No feminist can say otherwise.

She is an amazing musician though.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,269 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Sexy sells in pop music.

Miley Cyrus started as a wholesome virgin.

Taylor Swift too.

Now Billie Eilish is posing on the front cover of Vogue showing off her body.

No feminist can say otherwise.

She is an amazing musician though.

Yes. And then they giving out when males are ogling them..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,655 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Sexy sells in pop music.
    how is this an unpopular opinion?

aka 'because ireland is good at one thing and lacking in some (strangely selective) other things, we must tear down the thing we are good at'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

how is this an unpopular opinion?

I think its more the double standards.

Like Billie Eilish's new song is seemingly about agent abuse, and wore baggy clothes to protect her from 'body shaming'.

Now she is on the front cover of Vogue in lingerie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Like Billie Eilish's new song is seemingly about agent abuse, and wore baggy clothes to protect her from 'body shaming'.

In terms of sexiness, she is not really attractive in either form. She is average enough looking and no great shape in terms of her body either. I think some people just believe that hype and celeb = sexy.

As a musician I liked her, like her style. She might be a victim of her success in that I have reached saturation point with her popular records

• Registered Users Posts: 21,053 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

In terms of sexiness, she is not really attractive in either form. She is average enough looking and no great shape in terms of her body either. I think some people just believe that hype and celeb = sexy.

As a musician I liked her, like her style. She might be a victim of her success in that I have reached saturation point with her popular records

Jesus Christ almighty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

What we are all average looking for the most part, it's no shame!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,887 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I feel empowered by her move to strip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

Raising cattle here so someone can have a cheap Big Mac in UK while we pay massive EU fines for CO2 emission is bloody insane.
    Raising cattle here is fine.

Big mac wouldn't have much beef in it anyway.

CO2 is not related.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Very unpopular opinion: people shouldn't automatically get child benefit. I'm actually in favour of scrapping it entirely, it has served it's purpose and is now (imo) being used and abused by certain people. There's no accountability for what the money is spent on, and like the dole, I would 100% be in favour of it changing to vouchers.

I also believe that people should properly plan for children, and this includes planning in case they have twins, in case there's a disability, etc. Having no mandatory state aid may make people think twice, or you know, plan properly!

that's firmly in the 'having a big spike in the middle of the steering wheel, instead of an airbag, makes people more cautious drivers, so fewer people will die' school of logic.

Wut?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Very unpopular opinion: people shouldn't automatically get child benefit. I'm actually in favour of scrapping it entirely, it has served it's purpose and is now (imo) being used and abused by certain people. There's no accountability for what the money is spent on, and like the dole, I would 100% be in favour of it changing to vouchers.

I also believe that people should properly plan for children, and this includes planning in case they have twins, in case there's a disability, etc. Having no mandatory state aid may make people think twice, or you know, plan properly!

Vouchers would be sold/swapped by those who use it to subsidise their habbits and or addictions.
    I would however reduce the payment. I reckon brining it down by about €20 per month would be enough to supply every child with books and stationery for the year in school.

Vouchers would be sold/swapped by those who use it to subsidise their habbits and or addictions.
    I would however reduce the payment. I reckon brining it down by about €20 per month would be enough to supply every child with books and stationery for the year in school.

Or just tie it to a PRSI number. Can't be sold/swapped then, and can only be used on child related expenses. Never happen though. Country is too soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Or just tie it to a PRSI number. Can't be sold/swapped then, and can only be used on child related expenses. Never happen though. Country is too soft.

Remember the sh1t show over the public services card :)
    Joe Duffy would have a field day!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Markcheese

eleventh wrote: »
    Raising cattle here is fine.

Big mac wouldn't have much beef in it anyway.

CO2 is not related.

Raising cattle here COULD be fine , the fertilizer used ain't great , but the more out door our cattle raising is ,the less co2 is produced ,
    The belching cattle Is a bit orf a red herring - there is a methane cycle , but it's is cyclical , unlike releasing carbon from fossil fuels ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

There is a cohort of people in this country who want to make life as miserable as possible for the people they think are beneath them. On top of that they care not a jot for those caught up as collateral damage.

Advertisement