Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,655 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Markcheese wrote: »
    The belching cattle Is a bit orf a red herring - there is a methane cycle , but it's is cyclical , unlike releasing carbon from fossil fuels ..
    methane is about 25 times as powerful as CO2 in terms of the greenhouse effect, and it averages 9 years in the atmosphere. it's a massive issue.

edit: its 100 year average compared to CO2 is about 25, gram for gram. its *20* year average is 84 times that of CO2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,655 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Wut?
    what i was saying was your point was counter productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Principle policy from Natural Law Party would significantly influence national consciousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Very unpopular opinion: people shouldn't automatically get child benefit. I'm actually in favour of scrapping it entirely, it has served it's purpose and is now (imo) being used and abused by certain people. There's no accountability for what the money is spent on, and like the dole, I would 100% be in favour of it changing to vouchers.

I also believe that people should properly plan for children, and this includes planning in case they have twins, in case there's a disability, etc. Having no mandatory state aid may make people think twice, or you know, plan properly!

would be political suicide as the middle class benefit and the middle class already carry a vastly disproportionate weight in this country.

a better idea would be to cap child benefit at four children , it would also serve a valuable purpose in putting the brakes on tinker expansion

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

There is a cohort of people in this country who want to make life as miserable as possible for the people they think are beneath them. On top of that they care not a jot for those caught up as collateral damage.

its a tiny cohort , as a people we are if anything , far too sympathetic to underachievers

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    would be political suicide as the middle class benefit and the middle class already carry a vastly disproportionate weight in this country.

a better idea would be to cap child benefit at four children , it would also serve a valuable purpose in putting the brakes on tinker expansion

Or we could just make it a tax credit?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Thread ends.

Countries like Ireland can't be making it less attractive to have kids. Sure as a tax payer, you'll have to contribute a bit to their welfare but they'll spend decades keeping the taxes coming in while you're retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Countries like Ireland can't be making it less attractive to have kids. Sure as a tax payer, you'll have to contribute a bit to their welfare but they'll spend decades keeping the taxes coming in while you're retired.

That assumes these kids stick around here, and get a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

That assumes these kids stick around here, and get a job.

And if I live long enough to reap these ever decreasing retirement benefits. And I'm not completely against it, but I definitely don't think it should be mandatory, should be means tested and limited severely. "But the childers!" and the cycle continues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Just because some poor sod could not control their drinking, doesn't mean I should have to pay more for mine.

Alcohol Action Ireland created by hard luck story bunch want to screw with everyone because they have a miserable tale to tell.

The concept of us paying for a charity that is actually and anti alcohol lobby group is horsesh1t.

From a health perspective fatties cost us more so punish them...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Just because some poor sod could not control their drinking, doesn't mean I should have to pay more for mine.

Alcohol Action Ireland created by hard luck story bunch want to screw with everyone because they have a miserable tale to tell.

The concept of us paying for a charity that is actually and anti alcohol lobby group is horsesh1t.

From a health perspective fatties cost us more so punish them...

Yup... And I don't want alcohol hidden away in some segregated part of a supermarket likes it is a thing to be ashamed of. If parents can't parent their kids properly and teach them about a responsible approach to alcohol, that really is on them. Why does society have to do the parenting for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

The BER system for houses is a cod.
    The costa higher BER adds to a house is not worth it by a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

JimmyVik wrote: »
    The BER system for houses is a cod.
    The costa higher BER adds to a house is not worth it by a long way.
    Can you expand on that? I'm perfectly willing to believe it btw

I suppose they mean that the cost of upgrading your home from say a D to a low B will be greater than the energy saving costs over the years.

Not Sure what mine is but assume low C - the cost of betting to B1 would be new windows, closing chimneys, more insulation - say 10k (would cost much more) and this saves me 200 euro a year on my oil bill.

Thats a lot of years haha

New builds may be different.

i don't think it's specifically BER which is a cod; it's merely a rough and ready estimate of how efficient a house is. which is perfectly sensible.

if you're thinking of changing your windows specifically to save money, that's a judgment which would be made by most people regardless of the specific BER grade.

but for someone buying a house, it can be useful.

I have bought and renovated a fair few houses now.
    When buying a D or even an E BER house you can get it up to a C for very little. €5 - 10k

So lots of people look at the low BER and get scared away from bidding, not realizing how easy and cheap it is to move up to a C. So you have less competition and buy the house cheaper than you should.
    You do the work, get a new BER and sell it. People will pay €20 -30k more for the same house with a higher BER.
    Yet that same house costs you only a few hundred euro more to heat each year even though you have spent thousands upgrading it.

Another example.

My Dads neighbor got new solar panels put on the roof of his house to heat the water. He now has hot water for himself and the wife for 6 months, maybe more actually, of the year. I was in my Dads house when he was recommending it to my Dad. It was €4100 to have it installed.
    My Dad was all for it and I told him that heating his water cost him 25 cents per day. Did he really want to spent €4100 to save that for only 6 months per year. He would have broken even by his 160th Birthday if the solar panels lasted that long :) But hey, its great for the BER too.

my father in law did a keeping up with the joneses on getting solar water heating. cost over 5k.
    their only shower is electric. the run of pipes from the hot tank to their kitchen sink is so long they have to start running the hot tap several minutes before the hot water reaches it, so he's thinking of getting a quooker.

so the only thing they get for their 5k is the hot water they wash their hands in in the WHB. or when they bath the dog.

my father in law did a keeping up with the joneses on getting solar water heating. cost over 5k.
    their only shower is electric. the run of pipes from the hot tank to their kitchen sink is so long they have to start running the hot tap several minutes before the hot water reaches it, so he's thinking of getting a quooker.

so the only thing they get for their 5k is the hot water they wash their hands in in the WHB. or when they bath the dog.

There are so many people who have been sucked in by that sort of thing.
    And then they'll justfy it by saying they got a grant for 10% of the cost. They are still paying thousands up front to save a few cents per day.

And none of them ever check to see how long that solar lasts before they buy.

That sounds like a scam alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

JimmyVik wrote: »
    There are so many people who have been sucked in by that sort of thing.
    And then they'll justfy it by saying they got a grant for 10% of the cost. They are still paying thousands up front to save a few cents per day.

And none of them ever check to see how long that solar lasts before they buy.

I think it’s the same for a lot of the new heating systems for houses. They cost an absolute fortune up front, are largely unproven and will take years upon years and likely be worn out before they break even.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

I have updated the OP of this thread with a list of threadbanned users, I would advise posters to check on this before posting in the thread again or a forum sanction will be imposed for breaching same.

If you want to discuss your threadban feel free to PM the banning mod (or myself if you can't remember who that is and I'll point you in the right direction).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Antares35 wrote: »
    Yup... And I don't want alcohol hidden away in some segregated part of a supermarket likes it is a thing to be ashamed of. If parents can't parent their kids properly and teach them about a responsible approach to alcohol, that really is on them. Why does society have to do the parenting for them.

I don't mind it being in its own section so much.
    But the fact you can only buy at certain hours annoys me.
    I like to do my weekly shop early on a saturday, why shouldn't I be able to buy a bottle of wine or crate of beer or that.

cruizer101 wrote: »
    I like to do my weekly shop early on a saturday, why shouldn't I be able to buy a bottle of wine or crate of beer or that.

Did the change from 11.30pm to 10.00pm finish ever have an actual impact?

I do not think i have ever seen a study reviewing its impact - positive or negative.

This will be much the same - brought in - new norm - then the anti drink fruits can start inventing the next scheme.

If only they would relax with a drink or 2 they might find some pleasure in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,426 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

cruizer101 wrote: »

That's fairly common though, towns around here have liquor laws like that where you can't buy past 7 or on sundays etc. while I'm sure that has roots in religion (especially the sunday restriction), its not like the RCC ordained it. These laws show up in every country at some point. the problem is people ruining everyone else's good time: just try and recall the people you met after 7 PM at any given retail job, much less any job serving alcohol. (Shudder. Flashbacks...) I imagine it also significantly impacts the road fatality statistics. I think the logic there is nobody needs to drive up to a package store at 2AM and too often they aren't going to be sober if they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

Hospital car parking charges should be abolished for genuine users of the car park by implementing a barrier system whereby legitimate users (ie, outpatients) can get parking validated for free and abusers (ie, park and ride, shoppers ) are punitively charged or towed away.

That sounds like a scam alright
    hardly a scam, if you're going to spend five grand like that, it's not like you're being conned out of your money.

hardly a scam, if you're going to spend five grand like that, it's not like you're being conned out of your money.
    A scam in so far as it costs more money than it saves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I was invited to book an appointment for my Covid vaccine 2 weeks ago but I am not bothered and in no hurry...

I suppose my opinion is I am a little on the cautious side and a tad uneasy at the speed the vaccines have been rolled out (I'm in England).

• Advertisement

I was invited to book an appointment for my Covid vaccine 2 weeks ago but I am not bothered and in no hurry...

I suppose my opinion is I am a little on the cautious side and a tad uneasy at the speed the vaccines have been rolled out (I'm in England).

But the reality is that there has been more research gone into developing a vaccine for this one virus in the last year, than has gone into all viruses in the history of mankind.

I explained it to my Dad like this when he said the same thing.

Imagine a football field and you have 50 people out with shovels digging in different spots, which represent different bits of research into all other viruses.
    It takes each of them years to make a hole the size of the 6 yard box in their own patch.

Now take the 50 of them and get them to all dig in the one hole for a year.
    That hole would be dug very, very fast and be very big with them all working together on it.

Advertisement