Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Unless a car's speedometer has KM/H as its dominant or only reading on an analogue speedometer, it should be refused an NCT after 2025 grace period unless it has a digital speedometer that can be set to KM/h.

ie, all cars where MPH is the sole or more prominent unit on the speedometer should be barred off the road starting in 2025.

Why? I have such a car and it has a metric sub scale. What's wrong with people just reading that? However, I don't even need to use it as I do the necessary conversions in my head.

An alternative in Australia was to simply buy custom adhesive stickers with a metric scale that were applied to the face of the speedo.

Then of course there's the vintage car angle.

Congrats on a ridiculous opinion.

Classrooms should have cameras that record video and audio for the protection of the teachers and pupils alike.

Lets see - thinking back over 12 years experince in classrooms - mmmm - no.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

cnocbui wrote: »
    Lets see - thinking back over 12 years experince in classrooms - mmmm - no.

Why exactly? So teachers can belittle and berate children and shrug their shoulders when pulled up on it? if you've nothing to hide ...etc.

Why exactly? So teachers can belittle and berate children and shrug their shoulders when pulled up on it? if you've nothing to hide ...etc.

Someones got to develop the spine necessary for later life.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Someones got to develop the spine necessary for later life.

? meaning? So you're excusing teachers verbally lambasting kids and you say that's "developing a spine"??

What's the matter with cameras which protect not only the kids but the teacher too from being assaulted by a pupil. Teachers aren't always the victim, go and have a little cry and you might feel better chicken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

From other recent threads,

Yellow card

Load is a pretty decent Metallica album.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Overheal wrote: »
    How is 2L a large engine? :confused:

Only in Ireland. It’s ludicrous

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Unless a car's speedometer has KM/H as its dominant or only reading on an analogue speedometer, it should be refused an NCT after 2025 grace period unless it has a digital speedometer that can be set to KM/h.

ie, all cars where MPH is the sole or more prominent unit on the speedometer should be barred off the road starting in 2025.

Why?

A very simple mind can do the conversion on the fly. I still convert back to miles, old habits.

Do you have any logic for this comment?

False dilemma.

In the interests of fairness, I'll agree to be recorded belittling and berating children if you agree to be recorded belittling and berating your female colleagues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,598 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When people are vaccinated people better not start hugging me.
    You'd never have done it in the past so there's no need to do it now.

When people are vaccinated people better not start hugging me.
    You'd never have done it in the past so there's no need to do it now.

I've enjoyed leaving people hanging when they've pointed an elbow at me the last 12 months. "Yeah I'm not not that" never gets old :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

A lot of people here might find this unpopular:

Racism exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

I prefer watching a football match on TV without the crowd. You can hear the players and I seem to focus much more on the movement and reading of the game.

Just seems more real and less like a "video"

• Registered Users Posts: 83,418 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

EddieN75 wrote: »
    I prefer watching a football match on TV without the crowd. You can hear the players and I seem to focus much more on the movement and reading of the game.

Just seems more real and less like a "video"

I make my own sounds anyway, like when the goalie gets the ball across the field it’s a big Badooosh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

On that point, there are certain sports that are actually a better watch on TV than being there live.

I’ve attended countless rugby games. In a big stadium it is quite dire.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,655 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't know if this is particularly unpopular, but the notion that taxis should be allowed use bus lanes is farcical.

False dilemma.

In the interests of fairness, I'll agree to be recorded belittling and berating children if you agree to be recorded belittling and berating your female colleagues.

What do you mean by that? I await your reply.

I am female btw.

What do you mean by that? I await your reply.

I am female btw.

If you want video of me abusing children, I want video of you abusing your colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Faugheen wrote: »
    A lot of people here might find this unpopular:

Racism exists.

I'll go further:

Everyone is racist or at best prejudicial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

I'll go further:

No truer thing said

Is it built into the body chemistry? Obviously not all racism is (plenty of just plain old racism) but definitely natural to fear something you feel less familiar with.

No truer thing said

Is it built into the body chemistry? Obviously not all racism is (plenty of just plain old racism) but definitely natural to fear something you feel less familiar with.

I think it's wired at the genetic level. Viewing anyone beyond immediate family as potentially dangerous and suspect has probably been a winning survival strategy with 3+ million years of natural selection behind it.

Such hard wired survival instinct is also likely behind the very powerful emotion and desire for revenge. There are probably fewer more winning strategies for your genes than immediatly and quickly eliminating proven threats.

Once you give some thought as to why there are so many crannogs, you have most of your answer as to why there is racism.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'll go further:

No actually, everyone has inherent bias. But you can learn to acknowledge them and control the urge to be prejudicial.

Saying everyone is prejudiced is just an excuse not to change.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

My unpopular opinion : The restrictions on Maternity Hospitals should stay in place.

Yes, its hard on the parents for loads of understandable reasons, but I think that its necessary to minimize the risk of Covid to newborns, and as such, the restrictions are needed.

People saying they can go get a haircut so why cant they see their baby being born. It sucks, but its obvious its for the safety of not only their own new baby but the new babies of other parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

jesus

jesus

His parents wanted to get to see their child so they eschewd the hospital and had him in a barn instead - win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭cms88

beakerjoe wrote: »
    My unpopular opinion : The restrictions on Maternity Hospitals should stay in place.

Yes, its hard on the parents for loads of understandable reasons, but I think that its necessary to minimize the risk of Covid to newborns, and as such, the restrictions are needed.

People saying they can go get a haircut so why cant they see their baby being born. It sucks, but its obvious its for the safety of not only their own new baby but the new babies of other parents.

IMO this is a prime example of when it's ''our'' child from the mothers point of view. The child becomes ''theirs'' very fast when it suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Parents who give out about the Catholic Church and then get their kids baptised and have a huge communion bash are holding back real reform of education. The Catholic Church knows the a la carte brigade who still have Church weddings will always turn up and use this to maintain control. You don't need to baptise kids for school any more so that excuse doesn't fly. And if your excuse for making your kids do religion in school is so they don't feel left out you'd want to cop on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Parents who give out about the Catholic Church and then get their kids baptised and have a huge communion bash are holding back real reform of education. The Catholic Church knows the a la carte brigade who still have Church weddings will always turn up and use this to maintain control. You don't need to baptise kids for school any more so that excuse doesn't fly. And if your excuse for making your kids do religion in school is so they don't feel left out you'd want to cop on.

Advertisement