Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

You can say that again :)

My own opinion on that is that I am an Athiest which means I dont actually believe that kids will catch fire and burn in hell if they are baptised or married in a church and then decide not to believe in God or Gods at any point in their lives.
    I believe most children are intelligent enough to figure this out for themselves and who am I to tell people what to believe in or not.
    A bit of religion is school does them no harm. Its not like the old days you know. And when they are old enough to start asking questions they will figure out what they need to. They dont need people like you or I preaching to them about OUR beliefs or non beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Grow in Love is an awful programme. Not to mention the new sex education programme.
    Just because something didn't do you any harm doesn't mean it did you any good.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    My unpopular opinion : The restrictions on Maternity Hospitals should stay in place.

Yes, its hard on the parents for loads of understandable reasons, but I think that its necessary to minimize the risk of Covid to newborns, and as such, the restrictions are needed.

People saying they can go get a haircut so why cant they see their baby being born. It sucks, but its obvious its for the safety of not only their own new baby but the new babies of other parents.

Exactly right.
    Totally selfish those people are. They clearly dont give a flying fcuck abouit the safety of everyone else in those hospitals. A lot of whom are having difficult or risky pregnancies as it is. Pure selfishness ans stupidity.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

JimmyVik wrote: »
    They dont need people like you or I preaching to them about OUR beliefs or non beliefs.

I would agree if 90% of the schools in Ireland weren't still Catholic. So most kids are being preached at when they go to school.

When we lived in Ireland my kids were anxious that myself and my wife were going to hell because we didn't believe, which they only learned at school. So they absolutely got my unfiltered opinion about religion. I preached my non belief every day.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Brian? wrote: »
    So they absolutely got my unfiltered opinion about religion. I preached my non belief every day.

Because if there’s one thing kids love, it’s listening to their parents preaching to them on any topic.

I’m sure they were only riveted..

• Advertisement

I would agree if 90% of the schools in Ireland weren't still Catholic. So most kids are being preached at when they go to school.

When we lived in Ireland my kids were anxious that myself and my wife were going to hell because we didn't believe, which they only learned at school. So they absolutely got my unfiltered opinion about religion. I preached my non belief every day.

My kids religion homework isnt like that at all.
    Its just about being kind to people and helping your family etc.
    Ive a friend who is a teacher and she is athiest has has no issues teaching religion in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭cms88

I always find it funny when people say things like this. I don't want schools , the church etc forcing their view on my kids when the same people do just that themselves. But of course it's different when they're doing it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

JimmyVik wrote: »
    My kids religion homework isnt like that at all.
    Its just about being kind to people and helping your family etc.
    Ive a friend who is a teacher and she is athiest has has no issues teaching religion in school.

I’m 45 and do recall being thought information as fact in religion which would not stand up to scrutiny to say the least

I’m 45 and do recall being thought information as fact in religion which would not stand up to scrutiny to say the least

Me too., But as I said. Doesnt seems to be like that anymore.
    My parents let me come to my own conclusions and I did. My kids will be let do the same.

Which means it’s almost three decades since you wore a school uniform. Things move on and evolve in that time. As the other poster said, the ethos is religion ‘lite’ these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

beakerjoe wrote: »
    My unpopular opinion : The restrictions on Maternity Hospitals should stay in place.

Yes, its hard on the parents for loads of understandable reasons, but I think that its necessary to minimize the risk of Covid to newborns, and as such, the restrictions are needed.

People saying they can go get a haircut so why cant they see their baby being born. It sucks, but its obvious its for the safety of not only their own new baby but the new babies of other parents.

I've had two pregnancies during covid. My first baby was born last May, so in the midst of lockdown. I'm due my second in ten weeks. I always felt safe attending my antenatal appointments alone precisely because of the restrictions. Especially when you're public, it's busy enough in there at the best of times. Added to that the recent information coming to light about covid related placentitis, where many of the babies who were stillborn were post 32 weeks, and the mothers in several cases had displayed "mild to no" symptoms. It is terrifying to think this could happen to one's own baby. In addition, the midwives etc. where I attended are simply amazing, and I never felt less than safe in their care, notwithstanding that it was my first pregnancy and I had all the natural fears that go with that.

However, I was lucky I have had two textbook pregnancies (so far so good), and I wasn't in a position where I had to receive devastating news about my child without my partner there with me. I was also lucky enough to have a fast labour, so by the time we got to NMH, I was already so far gone that there was no question about my partner being left outside.

Side note - many people talk about partners "not being allowed at the birth" but the restrictions actually stipulated that they could attend once active labour is established. Obviously it's a concern that the window might be missed - you can't predict how your labour will progress, and there were many evenings we had the conversation about whether he should camp outside in the car etc. And that was without having other children to think about and arrange care for.

So whereas I was always thankful for the restrictions because it minimised the risk to me and my unborn babies, my view does not necessarily carry much weight because I was lucky to have straightforward pregnancies. I think it's a fair compromise to allow partners to the 12 and 20 week scans, and possibly more where the pregnancy is IVF. I don't agree that people should be allowed just bring someone with them as routine, but I don't think this is on the table anyway.

I think visitors to the post natal ward should only be allowed if you have a required stay or complication. Most births that pass without event will result in the mother being let out the next day, sometimes even the same day depending on the time of birth. You don't really need (and other women on the ward don't really need) people traipsing in and out when they've just had a baby. You've to travel down corridors for toilet and shower facilities, for water stations etc. And at a time in your life when you've probably never looked or felt less divine. Grappling with maternity pads, breasts leaking milk, trying to hobble to the shower on legs still shaky from an epidural. A little bit of privacy is needed and I'd rather not bump into other people's visitors en route :D

I'll definitely be asking for ETH too because of the risk of covid if there are visitors to the post natal ward.

cms88 wrote: »
    I always find it funny when people say things like this. I don't want schools , the church etc forcing their view on my kids when the same people do just that themselves. But of course it's different when they're doing it :rolleyes:

Yeah what a hypocrite I am, teaching my kids to think critically and that morality shouldn't be based fairy tales.

What a monster

they/them/theirs

Hamachi wrote: »
    Because if there’s one thing kids love, it’s listening to their parents preaching to them on any topic.

I’m sure they were only riveted..

They don't go to a Catholic school anymore so the counter preaching has stopped

they/them/theirs

Yeah what a hypocrite I am, teaching my kids to think critically and that morality shouldn't be based fairy tales.

What a monster

So what you're saying is that you are telling your kids to think what you think and not for themselves? Sounds about right for an ''atheist''

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So what you're saying is that you are telling your kids to think what you think and not for themselves? Sounds about right for an ''atheist''

does the catholic church teach people to think for themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

As opposed to a Catholic or a Presbyterian or a Muslim? That statement is silly and is no way restricted to people who are atheists.

As opposed to a Catholic or a Presbyterian or a Muslim? That statement is silluy and is no way restricted to people who are atheists.

There are atheists who don't have fate etc yet have no issue with people who do. On the other hand ''atheists'' who are actually just anti Catholic and have an issue with anyone who says otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

I don't agree with the RCC on a lot of issues
    - divorce
    - contraception
    - gay marriage
    - abortion

I also don't believe in any of their fairy tales - for instance, tomorrow is Ascension Thursday when Jesus flies up to heaven. I'd like to hear from anyone who really really believes that happened.

I choose not to have my children indoctrinated in our local school. School is not the place for religion - if it was, we'd have religion at third level also. Final year Civil Engineering - 401 - Prayers to keep bridges up etc.

I don't think that teachers should be paid by the government to indoctrinate children into ANY religion. The various religions should pay that portion of the wages themselves. That'd soften their cough a little.

People need to grow a pair in 2021.
    When asked if my son will be making his communion next year, I replied;
    "We're not into religion".
    "Oh we're not into it either", came the reply.
    "I want the Angelus off the telly".

..."something something grandparents"... ffs, grow a pair!!!

I have a lot more respect for someone who says his prayers and goes to mass on a Sunday than those hypocrites who just turn up for the events.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,655 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hmm, who do i trust more; the catholic church, or a parent picked at random?

They don't go to a Catholic school anymore so the counter preaching has stopped

Which is doubtless a relief all round.

• Advertisement

Even thought I dont believe in Gods myself, Im quite happy that some people shuffle off believing that that that is not the end and they will be off playing harps and living in the never never land forevet (not the ones who have some sort of a deal on 7 virgins though). I dont begrudge them this at all. Must be a great comfrot at the end for them.

No. I’m giving them an alternative view point to the one that was peddled at school. What is atheist in quotation marks?

they/them/theirs

Hamachi wrote: »
    Which is doubtless a relief all round.

For me more than anyone.

they/them/theirs

No. I’m giving them an alternative view point to the one that was peddled at school. What is atheist in quotation marks?

What view exactly was being peddled? It's also interesting how you give no time frame when this happened. Why is that?

Atheist in quotation marks is a work. Wouldn't have thought that needed explaining

What view exactly was being peddled? It's also interesting how you give no time frame when this happened. Why is that?

The Catholic faith, 3 to 5 years ago. Are you building up to some sort of gotcha?
    Atheist in quotation marks is a work. Wouldn't have thought that needed explaining

I have absolutely no idea what you're on about

they/them/theirs

I don't agree with the RCC on a lot of issues
    - divorce
    - contraception
    - gay marriage
    - abortion

I also don't believe in any of their fairy tales - for instance, tomorrow is Ascension Thursday when Jesus flies up to heaven. I'd like to hear from anyone who really really believes that happened.

I choose not to have my children indoctrinated in our local school. School is not the place for religion - if it was, we'd have religion at third level also. Final year Civil Engineering - 401 - Prayers to keep bridges up etc.

I don't think that teachers should be paid by the government to indoctrinate children into ANY religion. The various religions should pay that portion of the wages themselves. That'd soften their cough a little.

People need to grow a pair in 2021.
    When asked if my son will be making his communion next year, I replied;
    "We're not into religion".
    "Oh we're not into it either", came the reply.
    "I want the Angelus off the telly".

..."something something grandparents"... ffs, grow a pair!!!

I have a lot more respect for someone who says his prayers and goes to mass on a Sunday than those hypocrites who just turn up for the events.

This is what i think as well. It's my i used ''atheist'' as many are more concerned with everything anti Church than actually not having any fate.

FYI i'm not really in either camp. But people are free to be in either and not have the other side forced on them.

The Catholic faith, 3 to 5 years ago. Are you building up to some sort of gotcha?

I have absolutely no idea what you're on about

So you're claiming that this happened 5 years ago? Funny as when i was in school over 20 years ago people were free to not take part in religion if they didn't want to.

You asked what was in quotation marks and i told you it was a word. You're the one who asked so surely you must know what you were asking about no?

So you're claiming that this happened 5 years ago? Funny as when i was in school over 20 years ago people were free to not take part in religion if they didn't want to.

You asked what was in quotation marks and i told you it was a word. You're the one who asked so surely you must know what you were asking about no?

Why did you put a word in quotation marks when it wasn’t a quotation? I asked why it was, not what it was.

Are you purposefully being cryptic?

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,655 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

aha - faith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My two children are very intelligent so it was incredibly easy to neutralise the religious nonsense they were exposed to in school, which is still ridiculously pervasive even when the parents ask for them to be excluded from the religious clap-trap. It wasn't really any bother, though, as the schools were both great.

Advertisement