Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Ancient Greece is not the pinnacle of the western world.
    They were permanently at war with each other, they had slaves and they were all nonces.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

There isn't half as much condemnation in the Western World as there should be over Israel's part in what is going on over there because that religion is untouchable.

Can't be seen to be Anti-Semitic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

There isn't half as much condemnation in the Western World as there should be over Israel's part in what is going on over there because that religion is untouchable.

Can't be seen to be Anti-Semitic.
    They also have America in their corner blocking resolutions in the UN for them, sending them billions of dollars in aid every year and sending them free weapons. They have had the US Govt by the balls for years now.

Similar situation with China, nobody will call them out on Tibet and risk rocking the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

The covid19 virus will never get killed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

I am very much against what Israel are doing to the plaestibian people.

I am quite ignorant on the whole topic to be fair. But can see how governments can hide behind rockets being fired by Hamas (who are on the official EU terrorist list).

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter, I do wonder if the Palestinian authorities could play it smarter. Pointless rocket attacks really just give Israel something to spout as an excuse.

• Advertisement

They also have America in their corner blocking resolutions in the UN for them, sending them billions of dollars in aid every year and sending them free weapons. They have had the US Govt by the balls for years now.

Similar situation with China, nobody will call them out on Tibet and risk rocking the boat.

The sad reality is that China are becoming the new do what they want superpower

• Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

vriesmays wrote: »
    The covid19 virus will never get killed off.

We know that don’t we ?

We know that don’t we ?

This is an opinions thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We shouldn't have to plan around every building with historic links or significance. Just because something happened once somewhere doesn't mean it has to be persevered forever.
    Likewise descendents of someone who did something historically significant aren't important purely because of someone they happened to be related to.

This is an opinions thread.

And that’s fact not opinion

• Advertisement

WhomadeGod wrote: »
    Boards.ie is not Conservative friendly.

Usually bashing the gays the Muslims and immigrants causes a reaction , have you any non bigoted conservative views to share ?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Usually bashing the gays the Muslims and immigrants causes a reaction , have you any non bigoted conservative views to share ?

That would require the poster to actually have opinions of their own.

And that’s fact not opinion

You have me there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Faugheen wrote: »
    That would require the poster to actually have opinions of their own.

Ha haaa....lads...calm down...an alternate opinion is not something to be afraid of, no matter what your media channel of choice tells you!!!

Ha haaa....lads...calm down...an alternate opinion is not something to be afraid of, no matter what your media channel of choice tells you!!!

I actually form my opinions from doing my own research of the facts and not copying and pasting what people tell me.

No surprise you think you're intelligent by throwing out the usual 'hur dur the media' diatribes.

Alternate opinions are perfectly fine providing those opinions can be backed up with facts, which is something you and many 'conservatives' here are incapable of.

I actually form my opinions from doing my own research of the facts and not copying and pasting what people tell me.

No surprise you think you're intelligent by throwing out the usual 'hur dur the media' diatribes.

Alternate opinions are perfectly fine providing those opinions can be backed up with facts, which is something you and many 'conservatives' here are incapable of.

But why did you suggest that a conservative isn't capable of doing exactly what you are doing?

And you think I'm conservative...I'm middle of the road, I am grateful for the liberal voices who gradually changed this ultra conservative insular nation....we are still insular of course but that'll never change.

But why did you suggest that a conservative isn't capable of doing exactly what you are doing?

And you think I'm conservative...I'm middle of the road, I am grateful for the liberal voices who gradually changed this ultra conservative insular nation....we are still insular of course but that'll never change.

Nope. I suggested that poster wasn’t capable of it. I was implying that that poster isn’t a conservative because conservatives have the conviction to back up their opinions with facts, even if I don’t agree with those opinions. I have learned that from that poster’s activities on these very forums in that they don’t offer their opinion on the vast majority of things they post, and when they do offer an opinion it’s completely devoid of any facts to back it up.

You came in and implied I was intolerant, when fact is I have no time for people who clearly have little idea what they are talking about and then cry when the sh*t they post is called out.

Nope. I suggested that poster wasn’t capable of it. I was implying that that poster isn’t a conservative because conservatives have the conviction to back up their opinions with facts, even if I don’t agree with those opinions. I have learned that from that poster’s activities on these very forums in that they don’t offer their opinion on the vast majority of things they post, and when they do offer an opinion it’s completely devoid of any facts to back it up.

You came in and implied I was intolerant, when fact is I have no time for people who clearly have little idea what they are talking about and then cry when the sh*t they post is called out.

Ok I didn't pick up that it was a personal issue between you both...

He/She is a new account, it takes a bit to get used to the form here, we are all guilty of that...

The first reply to his post was hilarious and I included yours having interpreted it as a generalization...

I've experienced on a few occasions how anything remotely conservative is treated here, that's all...I agree with the posters assertion about conservative opinions.

Ok I didn't pick up that it was a personal issue between you both...

He/She is a new account, it takes a bit to get used to the form here, we are all guilty of that...

The first reply to his post was hilarious and I included yours having interpreted it as a generalization...

I've experienced on a few occasions how anything remotely conservative is treated here, that's all...I agree with the posters assertion about conservative opinions.

So you jumped in and gave your opinions which were absent of any facts to back up your opinion?

Thank you for proving my point.

So you jumped in and gave your opinions which were absent of any facts to back up your opinion?

Thank you for proving my point.

Ha ha haaaa...right I'll give you that!!!

I'll remind myself to examine every one's posting history from now on sir!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,719 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

WhomadeGod wrote: »
    Boards.ie is not Conservative friendly.

I would say not populist friendly, there's plenty of people with conservative views who wouldn't align with the populism currently running through the parties that represent conservative views.

If you take out racism homophobia etc I’m all for conservatives

astrofool wrote: »
    I would say not populist friendly, there's plenty of people with conservative views who wouldn't align with the populism currently running through the parties that represent conservative views.

What party in Ireland is full of rampant populism that you think represent conservative views?

What party in Ireland is full of rampant populism that you think represent conservative views?

They haven't got much of a foothold in Ireland (I guess our closest right now is the Gemmaroids), but the GOP has been infected top to bottom, the UK Conservatives gone the same way once Corbyn got in as well and are yet to start veering back (maybe post pandemic), there has been parties throughout Europe, some have fizzled out, but others are still knocking about.

A lot of conservative voters are still aligning themselves to the parties where populism has taken hold, either not realising it's happened (I mean the ballooning debt is a bit of a clue) or because they don't have anywhere else to turn.

Most rational people understand that populism has an endpoint and you can't govern a country through slogans and memes (whether from the left or right), young impressionable people will fall under it as will those who just don't want to admit they were wrong about something.

Populist voices from the left also tend to get short shrift on boards, they seem to have thicker skin though and get banned less frequently for whatever reason, the populist conservatives just seem to wilt under scrutiny or "get busy in RL" and then re-register under a new name.

They haven't got much of a foothold in Ireland (I guess our closest right now is the Gemmaroids), but the GOP has been infected top to bottom, the UK Conservatives gone the same way once Corbyn got in as well and are yet to start veering back (maybe post pandemic), there has been parties throughout Europe, some have fizzled out, but others are still knocking about.

A lot of conservative voters are still aligning themselves to the parties where populism has taken hold, either not realising it's happened (I mean the ballooning debt is a bit of a clue) or because they don't have anywhere else to turn.

Most rational people understand that populism has an endpoint and you can't govern a country through slogans and memes (whether from the left or right), young impressionable people will fall under it as will those who just don't want to admit they were wrong about something.

Populist voices from the left also tend to get short shrift on boards, they seem to have thicker skin though and get banned less frequently for whatever reason, the populist conservatives just seem to wilt under scrutiny or "get busy in RL" and then re-register under a new name.

Let me get this straight...you are putting the unprecedented complete collapse of the Labour vote in the UK to right wing populism?

Let me get this straight...you are putting the unprecedented complete collapse of the Labour vote in the UK to right wing populism?

You're going a tad off topic, but that's a bit of a jump from my post (also an odd bit to take out of it given your previous post).

The Conservatives are currently pursuing populist policies, there's other forums where that can be discussed.

People who dismiss politics they don't like or understand as 'populist' are usually boomers.

Not sure if that's an unpopular opinion, but is a meme or link dump with no follow up 'politics' ?

You're going a tad off topic, but that's a bit of a jump from my post (also an odd bit to take out of it given your previous post).

The Conservatives are currently pursuing populist policies, there's other forums where that can be discussed.

You brought populism into this, not me.

What populist policies are the Conservatives now pursuing? Given that we are now 5 years past the Brexit vote?

You brought populism into this, not me.

What populist policies are the Conservatives now pursuing? Given that we are now 5 years past the Brexit vote?

A tunnel to Scotland, 300M to the NHS, a new royal yacht to name 3 quickly, but again, this is not the thread for it, there's a British politics thread you can knock yourself out in. The GOP and Conservatives have been taken over by populist leaders, the comments were in reaction to boards not being conservative friendly, which isn't true, it's pretty unfriendly to the far left as well, the common thread is that parties pursuing populist policies get short shrift as they tend to favor short-termism and xenophobia which wilts quickly under scrutiny, hence a lot of the posters have nowhere to go with their arguments and tend to run away or resort to link dumps and memes to make points but don't stick around for a rebuttal (or flat out start insulting others and mods so they get banned and have an excuse not to post).

• Advertisement

Just older people who can't accept change is coming. And that applies to both conservative and liberal boomers.

My father, for example, despises Sinn Fein and any kind of left wing party. But the other day he launched in a boomer rant about students collecting the pup. He can't see people why will vote for them.

You're conflating left policies with short term populism, not sure where the boomer aspect is coming from (if that was the case the parties would be doing awfully as boomers and older are generally the ones who vote in an election, I'm part of neither).

Populism flares up and dies out in an ever repeating cycle, this isn't unique to current times.

Advertisement