Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There is also an abundance of food available. Fast food everywhere, outlets, shops etc and it is cheap. People also ate at set times- 3 times a day. Now people snack/graze.

Looking at the school photos from the 1980's there was no fat children in my national school year. We played football outside all evening and during the summer. I cycled everywhere and to school every single day from the age of 11 until 15 (then I changed school) even in the worst of weather.

In my local village in the 1980's there was not one fast food outlet. Now there is a chipper and some sort of Indian/Kebab shop next to each other.

Also food is, comparatively, way, way cheaper today than in the past. We now spend something like 10% of household budgets on food, whereas 30 years ago it was more like 30%. Cheap food is abundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

blinding wrote: »
    Why after spending so many years on their knees to the British Empire and the Catholic Church Empire are Irish People so keen to be on their knees to the Eu .

If you keep doing the same thing over and over again you get the same Results .

I grew up in the 1970s/80s and most people barely had a pot to piss in, I can only imagine what it was like in the decades before that.

The EU might have it's faults but without EU money this country would look a lot different today if we hadn't got it.

Yeah we got screwed bigtime in the bailout but I blame our hopeless politicans for that more than the EU.

Something to keep in mind when FF knock on the door looking for votes.

Anyone over the age of 30 who drinks to the point of slurred speech or being unsteady on their feet need to ask themselves some serious questions.

If you are over the legal driving limit in the morning, you have either stayed up very late drinking or you have drunk far too much booze and need to ask yourself questions.

The obvious question being, "do I have a problem with alcohol?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

Anyone over the age of 30 who drinks to the point of slurred speech or being unsteady on their feet need to ask themselves some serious questions.

If you are over the legal driving limit in the morning, you have either stayed up very late drinking or you have drunk far too much booze and need to ask yourself questions.

The obvious question being, "do I have a problem with alcohol?"

I'd love to know how many I need to drink (and yeah, yeah, all the other factors) to be *just* over the limit in the morning. I don't own a breathalyzer. Just curious.

I'd love to know how many I need to drink (and yeah, yeah, all the other factors) to be *just* over the limit in the morning. I don't own a breathalyzer. Just curious.

Well, as a rule of thumb, a unit takes an hour to process.
    If you drink six pints, it's going to take 12 hours to process this. So if you start drinking at 8 in the evening and drink 6 pints (of average strength beer), you should be alcohol free by 8 the following morning.
    If you are over the limit in the morning, you are tearing the sh1t out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I believe in universal basic income, flat rate per person with alot of the additional benefits cut back.
    Allow 200 welfare payment. Adjust the tax bands to take back 200 of first 300 earned weekly and set bands as they are now for rest of income.
    The benefit is that everyone is better off working whether they do 5 hours or 50 hours per week. No welfare trap. Sure you wouldnt have alot out of 5 hours as the tax take back would be heavy but you would be gaining alittle and you have to pay for the free money somehow.

That young busker Ali Sherlock's singing career will be over before she reaches 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Ireland will get a roasting at the rugby WC.

Rugby and everything to do with it in this country is overrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

That young busker Ali Sherlock's singing career will be over before she reaches 22.
    I'd say someone has to be known before an opinion about them could be considered unpopular!

Raconteuse wrote: »
    I'd say someone has to be known before an opinion about them could be considered unpopular!

Well known in Cork and Dublin, been on the Ellen DeGeneres show and has had over 98 million views on YouTube.
    I think that's pretty well known

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Loads of young wans copying her in Grafton St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

All Facebook hero’s would turn the place into a complete police state if they got their way.
    Water protesters, paedo hunters, liberals, gun nuts and gun haters, racists and black panthers,

If you are on Facebook campaigning for something you would definitely turn the place into a police state if you got in charge.

You can’t see the other side of the arguement and are drunk on a few face book likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

There is a lot of anti-Irish sentiment that gets brushed under the carpet.

The old job adverts discriminating Irish were actually a good thing and not racist. Most of these were for dead-end roles with low pay. Wanted: Someone to clean horse **** off the streets - No Irish need apply.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

vriesmays wrote: »
    The old job adverts discriminating Irish were actually a good thing and not racist. Most of these were for dead-end roles with low pay. Wanted: Someone to clean horse **** off the streets - No Irish need apply.

That doesn't seem right, why would they not have wanted cheap labour as the Irish would have worked for less?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

At the end of the day, world powers aren't going to take much notice to hordes of school children (under the voting age) taking part in climate change protests around the world. And anyway, the effects are so pronounced at this stage, that it won't be reversed in many lifetimes. How do we know the world won't "right" itself in the meantime?

Besides, what percentage of the protesters are only doing so to get out of school for the day?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

At the end of the day, world powers aren't going to take much notice to hordes of school children (under the voting age) taking part in climate change protests around the world. And anyway, the effects are so pronounced at this stage, that it won't be reversed in many lifetimes. How do we know the world won't "right" itself in the meantime?

Besides, what percentage of the protesters are only doing so to get out of school for the day?

They wouldn't for another reason, climate change is a hoax as David Icke says. It's used as "problem-reaction-solution".

The first reason is to stop the industrialization of developing nations so America, Russia, and China can remain superpowers but more importantly the solution offered by the elites will be fine control over everyones life i.e. implementing a surveillance state.

About 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

About 100%.

Surprised so many uneducated people here aren't supporting the climate movement.

It's not just a conspiracy. Do some research please.

You think people who don't believe in climate change are uneducated.

• Advertisement

Yes. 100 percent.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

vriesmays wrote:

Some can be extremely well educated, articulate and very knowledgeable in other areas, probably just ignorant in this area, conservative economist Jim Richards comes to mind

So everyone disbelieves climate change is wrong and they must change their mind and accept it without question.

So everyone disbelieves climate change is wrong and they must change their mind and accept it without question.

Look at the science. Don't believe anyone on boards.ie.

It's definitely an unpopular opinion to disagree with climate change I hope anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

That doesn't seem right, why would they not have wanted cheap labour as the Irish would have worked for less?

Because drunk labour is useless even if it’s cheap.

Science isn't always accurate and is open to mistakes. They once tested thalidomide on animals and thought it safe for pregnant women. This week there was a report published saying 2 out of 3 experiment results can't get duplicated by other scientists. A lot of it gets made up or is interpreted wrong. No-one should accept climate change because vocal scientists or school kids tell you to.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

zig wrote: »
    Because drunk labour is useless even if it’s cheap.
    ....and sterotypes abound :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

I don’t believe humans will ever make direct contact with Aliens.

I believe politicians are willing scapegoats for our inability to take responsibility over things we don’t like about ourselves and things we can’t manage well. And that it’s never really a governments fault when things go to ****.

I believe the successful push back against fat shaming and body stereotypes has now become a form of skinny shaming.

As per my reply a few minutes ago, I believe racist sentiments against Irish in the past was most likely due to alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,334 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Occupy Movement, remember that?
    It will go the same way.

Governments will take the same notice of children as they did with scruffy people carrying cardboard signs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Governments will take the same notice of children as they did with scruffy people carrying cardboard signs.

Patience now, won't be long till all those kids are voting, this one isn't going away!

Advertisement