Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

astrofool wrote: »
    A tunnel to Scotland, 300M to the NHS, a new royal yacht to name 3 quickly, but again, this is not the thread for it, there's a British politics thread you can knock yourself out in. The GOP and Conservatives have been taken over by populist leaders, the comments were in reaction to boards not being conservative friendly, which isn't true, it's pretty unfriendly to the far left as well, the common thread is that parties pursuing populist policies get short shrift as they tend to favor short-termism and xenophobia which wilts quickly under scrutiny, hence a lot of the posters have nowhere to go with their arguments and tend to run away or resort to link dumps and memes to make points but don't stick around for a rebuttal (or flat out start insulting others and mods so they get banned and have an excuse not to post).

not forgetting spending £900,000 to repaint a plane in union jack colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

A tunnel to Scotland, 300M to the NHS, a new royal yacht to name 3 quickly, but again, this is not the thread for it, there's a British politics thread you can knock yourself out in. The GOP and Conservatives have been taken over by populist leaders, the comments were in reaction to boards not being conservative friendly, which isn't true, it's pretty unfriendly to the far left as well, the common thread is that parties pursuing populist policies get short shrift as they tend to favor short-termism and xenophobia which wilts quickly under scrutiny, hence a lot of the posters have nowhere to go with their arguments and tend to run away or resort to link dumps and memes to make points but don't stick around for a rebuttal (or flat out start insulting others and mods so they get banned and have an excuse not to post).

You brought the Conservatives in the UK and the GOP (which I won't even express an opinion on as it draws the zealots) not me....you did.

You should have brought your opinions to the British politics thread, you brought British politics into this....not me.

The British, with all their flaws should never be accused of Xenophobia, I would have thought an Irish person would have had some degree of knowledge of this...given that we have lost numerous generations of young people to emigration to that country...many of whom will never return home.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,719 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You brought the Conservatives in the UK and the GOP (which I won't even express an opinion on as it draws the zealots) not me....you did.

You should have brought your opinions to the British politics thread, you brought British politics into this....not me.

The British, with all their flaws should never be accused of Xenophobia, I would have thought an Irish person would have had some degree of knowledge of this...given that we have lost numerous generations of young people to emigration to that country...many of whom will never return home.

You asked for examples, you got examples, you then asked for different examples and I gave different examples, even your response above forgets about Catholic repression, Windrush, Gurkas, UKIP and BNP in all their glory (supported by the Tory backbenchers).

The unpopular opinion was that conservative views aren't welcome on boards, my counter is that they are welcome but that it's when they veer towards populism (which also applies to the far left) that posters espousing such views find it difficult as their policies and arguments fall apart under light scrutiny (just as your responses have). Again, happy to discuss these on the relevant threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Fuksake lads. Increase the peace :cool:

You asked for examples, you got examples, you then asked for different examples and I gave different examples, even your response above forgets about Catholic repression, Windrush, Gurkas, UKIP and BNP in all their glory (supported by the Tory backbenchers).

The unpopular opinion was that conservative views aren't welcome on boards, my counter is that they are welcome but that it's when they veer towards populism (which also applies to the far left) that posters espousing such views find it difficult as their policies and arguments fall apart under light scrutiny (just as your responses have). Again, happy to discuss these on the relevant threads.

I am well aware of Irish/British history, you brought British politics into this, not me....

What responses of mine have fallen apart under scrutiny???? You are the one dragging British politics into this not me....you also tell me I need to express my opinions on the British politics thread when it is you that is bringing British politics into this....not me.

This is an unpopular opinions thread, I was responding to a post about how unpopular conservative opinions are on boards, which in experience is the case....

You brought British politics into to this...maybe you made a mistake and should take yourself off to the relevant forum.

• Advertisement

I am well aware of Irish/British history, you brought British politics into this, not me....

What responses of mine have fallen apart under scrutiny???? You are the one dragging British politics into this not me....you also tell me I need to express my opinions on the British politics thread when it is you that is bringing British politics into this....not me.

This is an unpopular opinions thread, I was responding to a post about how unpopular conservative opinions are on boards, which in experience is the case....

You brought British politics into to this...maybe you made a mistake and should take yourself off to the relevant forum.

I stand by my assertion that conservative opinions are welcome but populist opinions and posters supporting such, tend to have a hard time. These posters are mistakenly identifying their politics as conservative, which it isn't, it's generally veering towards far right populism.

My opinion is also that these posters find it hard to accept that their positions are populist, but it's rare that any debate or defense of their position happens, it's usually a link dump followed by running away.

I stand by my assertion that conservative opinions are welcome but populist opinions and posters supporting such, tend to have a hard time. These posters are mistakenly identifying their politics as conservative, which it isn't, it's generally veering towards far right populism.

My opinion is also that these posters find it hard to accept that their positions are populist, but it's rare that any debate or defense of their position happens, it's usually a link dump followed by running away.

If I said Barack Obama was a war mongerer and should never have started meaningless wars in Syria or Libya is that a far right position?

If I said Barack Obama was a war mongerer and should never have started meaningless wars in Syria or Libya is that a far right position?

Again, wrong thread (why you don't want to post anywhere but a safe space is beyond me, how and ever).

This statement would be seen as far right because it overly simplifies the situation in the middle east and Libya and takes a position that is seen as conservative and has been pursued by conservative administrations and paints it as extreme:
    "Barack Obama was a war mongerer(sic)"

This statement would not be seen as far right and is agreed with by a lot of people:
    "should never have started meaningless wars in Syria or Libya"

Edit: just to add, if the statement was ALL US presidents are war mongers, that's a debate worth having, singling out Obama while ignoring Cheney, trump, Clinton, Reagan etc. is what makes the statement populist.

This statement would be seen as far right because it overly simplifies the situation in the middle east and Libya and takes a position that is seen as conservative and has been pursued by conservative administrations and paints it as extreme:
    "Barack Obama was a war mongerer(sic)"

This statement would not be seen as far right and is agreed with by a lot of people:
    "should never have started meaningless wars in Syria or Libya"

You brought UK and US politics into this, not me.

You are a mess here.....you are saying two different things...are you sure you know what you are on about?

According to you, it is a far right position to suggest that Barack Obama was a war mongerer.

But it is not a far right position to suggest that he should never have started wars in Syria or Libya.....

You sir are all over the place.

You brought UK and US politics into this, not me.

You are a mess here.....you are saying two different things...are you sure you know what you are on about?

According to you, it is a far right position to suggest that Barack Obama was a war mongerer.

But it is not a far right position to suggest that he should never have started wars in Syria or Libya.....

You sir are all over the place.

Please stop with the personal attacks and bring your arguments to the relevant threads. Stop trying to engage in populist debate on a thread that you are trying to treat as a safe space because you're unable to debate elsewhere, which only goes further to prove my point.

• Advertisement

Please stop with the personal attacks and bring your arguments to the relevant threads. Stop trying to engage in populist debate on a thread that you are trying to treat as a safe space because you're unable to debate elsewhere, which only goes further to prove my point.

Just admit it....you have abandoned logical consistency....

You brought populism into this, not me.

You brought US and UK politics into this, not me.

Maybe you should take yourself off into the safe space like the Joe Biden thread....

You are ideologically shallow.

Just admit it....you have abandoned logical consistency....

You brought populism into this, not me.

You brought US and UK politics into this, not me.

Maybe you should take yourself off into the safe space like the Joe Biden thread....

You are ideologically shallow.

I'm not going to debate about all the areas you've ran away from all over this site, there is a politics forum and threads on this forum where you can join the debate again and see if you can defend your positions at all. You are treating this thread as a safe space for populist opinions, don't get angry if you get called out on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Usually bashing the gays the Muslims and immigrants causes a reaction , have you any non bigoted conservative views to share ?

The dismissal of views held by the majority of people in the world as xyz bashing is a problem.

Believing that a male cannot be a woman - transphobia

Believing that the nuclear family is the ideal set up for raising kids - toxic hetronormativity, single mother bashing etc

Believing that immigration should be at a moderate drip drip rate that allows for proper integration and assimilation - racism, immigrant bashing etc

WhomadeGod wrote: »
    Glad it's not just me.

Seems the Joe Biden thread has a bit of a reputation on the site.

"people are saying.." come on, back up this claim with some evidence.

The other poster has previous on link dropping and running away and won't engage in any arguments beyond a soundbite, usually out of context. Wherever a poster does that, they'll have a hard time of it, the fact they're trying to bring debate here rather than other threads and constantly switching questions speaks volumes.

"people are saying.." come on, back up this claim with some evidence.

The other poster has previous on link dropping and running away and won't engage in any arguments beyond a soundbite, usually out of context. Wherever a poster does that, they'll have a hard time of it, the fact they're trying to bring debate here rather than other threads and constantly switching questions speaks volumes.

Are you referring to me?...if you are you have me confused with some one else!!!

Yet again, for about the fifth time....YOU brought US and UK politics into this thread...not me.

All you are doing now is s**t stirring!

I'm not going to debate about all the areas you've ran away from all over this site, there is a politics forum and threads on this forum where you can join the debate again and see if you can defend your positions at all. You are treating this thread as a safe space for populist opinions, don't get angry if you get called out on it.

I just spotted this little beaut just now...honestly, your fixation with me is a little weird...I didn't spot that you had a personal issue with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Edit

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

WhomadeGod wrote: »
    Boards.ie is not Conservative friendly.

Compared to a decade ago, it very much is

It's actually well balanced as today's Ireland goes in terms of public discourse

Are you referring to me?...if you are you have me confused with some one else!!!

Yet again, for about the fifth time....YOU brought US and UK politics into this thread...not me.

All you are doing now is s**t stirring!
    I just spotted this little beaut just now...honestly, your fixation with me is a little weird...I didn't spot that you had a personal issue with me.

This was your starting question (nothing that I never mentioned an Irish party in my initial post), I replied in good faith then you started trying to go further and further rather than bring it to the relevant threads:
    "What party in Ireland is full of rampant populism that you think represent conservative views?"

But anyway, there's plenty of threads where you can chat about the tories and Corbyn and the GOP, but I'm betting you won't.

People with populist beliefs find it hard to win arguments online, people with conservative beliefs manage just fine (and if you look at most replies on this site, they would fall in the conservative spectrum, what populists find hard is that their beliefs put them on the extremes of both ends and then can't accept that they have extreme unsustainable viewpoints).

This was your starting question (nothing that I never mentioned an Irish party in my initial post), I replied in good faith then you started trying to go further and further rather than bring it to the relevant threads:
    "What party in Ireland is full of rampant populism that you think represent conservative views?"

But anyway, there's plenty of threads where you can chat about the tories and Corbyn and the GOP, but I'm betting you won't.

People with populist beliefs find it hard to win arguments online, people with conservative beliefs manage just fine (and if you look at most replies on this site, they would fall in the conservative spectrum, what populists find hard is that their beliefs put them on the extremes of both ends and then can't accept that they have extreme unsustainable viewpoints).

Man you are full of gibberish....this was about conservative voices on boards...you are free to disagree of course, I've no idea who you are so I can't throw accusations at you...you can post in whatever threads you wish...I'll do the same.

You brought UK and US politics into this, to be fair you sound like a zealot (you seem to have a lot more knowledge of me than I do of you, that is not healthy...)

• Advertisement

Man you are full of gibberish....this was about conservative voices on boards...you are free to disagree of course, I've no idea who you are so I can't throw accusations at you...you can post in whatever threads you wish...I'll do the same.

You brought UK and US politics into this, to be fair you sound like a zealot (you seem to have a lot more knowledge of me than I do of you, that is not healthy...)

Provide evidence of conservative, non-populist, voices being silenced, go to the threads and argue your points again and see if you can back them up with evidence.

I'm honestly not sure why you're claiming I'm posting gibberish (why are you attacking the content?), you consistently attack posters with glib 1 liners and constantly try and change the topic or run away, in 3 posts you went from "What Irish populist parties?" to the collapse of labour under corbyn to asking for evidence of conservative populism never once addressing the content of the posts themselves.

Populist voices find it hard on boards.ie because they lack any evidence or arguments to back themselves up. Conservatives voices don't. Your views seem of the populist nature so I'm honestly not surprised at the attacking nature of your posts.

Provide evidence of conservative, non-populist, voices being silenced, go to the threads and argue your points again and see if you can back them up with evidence.

I'm honestly not sure why you're claiming I'm posting gibberish (why are you attacking the content?), you consistently attack posters with glib 1 liners and constantly try and change the topic or run away, in 3 posts you went from "What Irish populist parties?" to the collapse of labour under corbyn to asking for evidence of conservative populism never once addressing the content of the posts themselves.

Populist voices find it hard on boards.ie because they lack any evidence or arguments to back themselves up. Conservatives voices don't. Your views seem of the populist nature so I'm honestly not surprised at the attacking nature of your posts.

I consider the terms safe spaces and populism gibberish...terms we see too often these days.

And you are the one attacking me...you have mentioned my posting history.
    You brought US and UK politics into this...you just didn't make any sense.

Have you ever seen a politician get elected without popular policies?

Who decides what a populist politician is?

And if they were popular positions wouldn't they have massive popular support in which case this place should be full of populists?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Cannabis shouldn't be legalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,412 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

lazygal wrote: »
    Cannabis shouldn't be legalised.

tenor.gif

Why the bloody hell not

Overheal wrote: »
    tenor.gif

Why the bloody hell not

It's an unpopular opinion.
    We should not be normalising drug use in a country that already has a problem with alcohol.

It's an unpopular opinion.
    We should not be normalising drug use in a country that already has a problem with alcohol.

Yeah the current approach is going fantastically well.

Yeah the current approach is going fantastically well.

Is this thread not for unpopular opinions?

Is this thread not for unpopular opinions?

and boy did you nail that.

I consider the terms safe spaces and populism gibberish...terms we see too often these days.

And you are the one attacking me...you have mentioned my posting history.
    You brought US and UK politics into this...you just didn't make any sense.

I honestly just remember you as "guy who fawned over trump's rallies", sorry if that's too in depth a memory of you, man it must be hard to look back on them (and that time was also defined by you deflecting from any hard questions until trump lost, did you join stopthesteal in the end?)
    Have you ever seen a politician get elected without popular policies?

That's not populism, all politicians who go for election have popular policies.
    Who decides what a populist politician is?

By definition, one who blames the elites in charge for all the problems in an attempt to gain support with ordinary people (i.e. trump to a tee, the fact he just replaced Washington elites with his own scumbag elites is just too funny, yet all the trumpeters try and ignore this, he put his own kids in charge for heaven's sake)
    And if they were popular positions wouldn't they have massive popular support in which case this place should be full of populists?

Again, you've completely missed what the term populism means, trump is a populist politician, as was bolsanaro, the tory party started pursuing populist policies such as brexit (the EU elites) or a new royal yacht (still utterly daft, not sure if it's populist, but it's very very funny) in order to deflect attention from where their real problems were coming from, boris is a populist politician, he'll happily say what he thinks will gain him votes in the moment (as do a lot of politicians to be fair) but then hang them out to dry days later, yet the cult of support he commands keeps him in power.

• Advertisement

I honestly just remember you as "guy who fawned over trump's rallies", sorry if that's too in depth a memory of you, man it must be hard to look back on them (and that time was also defined by you deflecting from any hard questions until trump lost, did you join stopthesteal in the end?)

That's not populism, all politicians who go for election have popular policies.

By definition, one who blames the elites in charge for all the problems in an attempt to gain support with ordinary people (i.e. trump to a tee, the fact he just replaced Washington elites with his own scumbag elites is just too funny, yet all the trumpeters try and ignore this, he put his own kids in charge for heaven's sake)

Again, you've completely missed what the term populism means, trump is a populist politician, as was bolsanaro, the tory party started pursuing populist policies such as brexit (the EU elites) or a new royal yacht (still utterly daft, not sure if it's populist, but it's very very funny) in order to deflect attention from where their real problems were coming from, boris is a populist politician, he'll happily say what he thinks will gain him votes in the moment (as do a lot of politicians to be fair) but then hang them out to dry days later, yet the cult of support he commands keeps him in power.

I did participate on that thread, you are correct, and yes, I have never seen such massive public support for a sitting President, and that was reflected in his vote...

I am not going to express an opinion on the man as he has left office, life moves on... and the mere mention of his name brings out the nutters who can't seem to get him out of their heads...

I don't yet have an opinion on Biden as I'll give him at least a year in office before I do...so I don't participate on those threads....and by the looks of it, the same heads are in there taking the predictable position on a man who has barely got his feet under the table like the zealots that they are!!!

So anyone who challenges the Elites as you call them is a populist, so the Elites can't be touched? I'm of the view the bureaucrats that govern us need a good kicking every now or then...no harm in it!

I thought Brexit would be a disaster, but I have an open mind and we will see in a year or two how it goes for them...but it is funny to see the zealots obsess over it....give them a year or two, then take the position, we Irish have a tendency to go in all or nothing on topics we don't fully understand...if the economy booms then it looks like we were all fed a load of nonsense about the doomsday senarios predicted when the Brits voted to leave the EU.

It could well turn out to be a very good move, or not, time will tell, I know quiet a few guys over there who are full sure it was a great move, the electorate are still voting for the Conservatives, in growing numbers, that is telling us a lot....the same voters that have abandoned the Labour Party.

The Brits had a choice again in elections last week, they decided not to vote for the Anti Semites peddling Identity Politics....that is telling you something too, but you need to think Johnson is some charismatic cult leader (like you think Trump is)...because it just doesn't make sense in your brain to think otherwise!!!!!

Advertisement