Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I can tell from that you are someone who hasnt spent 5 minutes in Lisbon yourself.

how is that relevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

how is that relevant?

So you have no experince of the drug problem in Portugal, yet you should everyone elses opinion that there is a problem there down.

Its relevant because 5 minutes in Lisbon is literally all it would take for you to be offered hard drugs.

So you have no experince of the drug problem in Portugal, yet you should everyone elses opinion that there is a problem there down.

Its relevant because 5 minutes in Lisbon is literally all it would take for you to be offered hard drugs.

yeah and i can probably do the same in dublin. the difference in portugal is that drug users don't end up with criminal records that make them unemployable, they have social supports in place for those that want to quit that help them become contributing members to society instead of a drain on society, the police dont waste their time arresting drug users so they have more resources to go after the dealers and distributors. Go read up on what they have actually done in portugal https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/dec/05/portugals-radical-drugs-policy-is-working-why-hasnt-the-world-copied-it

yeah and i can probably do the same in dublin. the difference in portugal is that drug users don't end up with criminal records that make them unemployable, they have social supports in place for those that want to quit that help them become contributing members to society instead of a drain on society, the police dont waste their time arresting drug users so they have more resources to go after the dealers and distributors. Go read up on what they have actually done in portugal https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/dec/05/portugals-radical-drugs-policy-is-working-why-hasnt-the-world-copied-it

When you spend some time there come back and let us know.
    Dublin hasnt a patch on Portugals drug problems.

so you are just going to ignore the link i posted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Speaking the truth is unwelcome because it dares to invite critical thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

jaxxx wrote: »
    Speaking the truth is unwelcome because it dares to invite critical thinking.

Kind of depends on what your perception of the truth is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Open discussion is dead or too dangerous to be worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I have been to Lisbon and wasn't offered any kind of drugs...

Ireland has on average ten times as many drug overdose deaths per annum than Portugal despite Portugal having twice our population.

so you are just going to ignore the link i posted?

You can get links for anything on the internet. Dont you know this.
    I have lived in Portugal. I know exactly what the problems are there.

You dont even seem to think people walking up to your kids in front of you and offering them cocaine and herion on a street as busy as Grafton street is a problem.

Portugals drug problem hasnt gone away. And it is far worse than I have seen in Dublin.

• Advertisement

You can get links for anything on the internet. Dont you know this.
    I have lived in Portugal. I know exactly what the problems are there.

You dont even seem to think people walking up to your kids in front of you and offering them cocaine and herion on a street as busy as Grafton street is a problem.

Portugals drug problem hasnt gone away. And it is far worse than I have seen in Dublin.

like talking to a brick wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,244 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Vast majority Irish people protesting Israel couldn't give a flying fiddlers about Palestinians!

like talking to a brick wall.

likewise.
    Let me know when you get back from Lisbon how long it took you to be offered cocaine or heroin walking down the street.

likewise.
    Let me know when you get back from Lisbon how long it took you to be offered cocaine or heroin walking down the street.

you are basing your opinion solely on this. situations tend to be a little more complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,407 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

you are basing your opinion solely on this. situations tend to be a little more complex.

"Well your honor we have plenty of hearsay and conjecture, those are kinds of evidence."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭cms88

walshb wrote: »
    Vast majority Irish people protesting Israel couldn't give a flying fiddlers about Palestinians!

Like many things nowadays it's ''cool'' to be seen as supporting it. Next week it'll be something else for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Purple is a Fruit

I think it seems more "cool" and edgy to support Israel.

Supporting Palestine is conventional. It's understandable too - the IDF is being ridiculously excessive. But the news reports are extremely biased - the perspective of the Israeli people should be covered also.

I think it seems more "cool" and edgy to support Israel.

Supporting Palestine is conventional. It's understandable too - the IDF is being ridiculously excessive. But the news reports are extremely biased - the perspective of the Israeli people should be covered also.

Where are you in the world? In the US there is demonstrably no shortage of coverage from the Israeli perspective, if anything the Gaza perspective we get is being actively censored by private interests. Mainstream media coverage only soured on Israel when the Associated Press tower was bombed to rubble.

So on those grounds its hard to say the coverage has been "extremely biased" if your raison d'etre is that they aren't covering the Israeli perspective when there is an ambassador or an IDF agent on a television screen on some channel or another several times a day. Where are the Palestinian panelists on Tucker Carlson?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You seem to equate free availability with problems. To you being offered drugs is a problem. This is a completely subjective opinion.

The actual problems caused by drugs are the health impacts and the criminality. Both of which have decreased in Portugal.

I know this is mind blowing stuff for you, but someone offering drugs in public isn't actually a problem. Addiction is a real problem and it's going down.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

cms88 wrote: »
    Like many things nowadays it's ''cool'' to be seen as supporting it. Next week it'll be something else for them.

Irish people have being actively supporting Palestine since the 50s.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

likewise.

My kids being offered heroin and coke isn't a problem. My kids accepting the offer is.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Brian? wrote: »

No one is doubting that...

Brian? wrote: »

Which may correlate along with how reverently the Irish are viewed abroad :cool:

Overheal wrote: »
    Where are you in the world? In the US there is demonstrably no shortage of coverage from the Israeli perspective, if anything the Gaza perspective we get is being . Mainstream media coverage only soured on Israel when the Associated Press tower was bombed to rubble.

So on those grounds its hard to say the coverage has been "extremely biased" if your raison d'etre is that they aren't covering the Israeli perspective when there is an ambassador or an IDF agent on a television screen on some channel or another several times a day. Where are the Palestinian panelists on Tucker Carlson?
    Obviously I'm not in the U.S. and this is an Irish website.

It was in response to a post saying "nowadays" it's cool.

The poster I replied to seemed to be

they/them/theirs

Obviously I'm not in the U.S. and this is an Irish website.

"obviously."

Overheal wrote: »
    "obviously."
    Well if I was, I wouldn't say what I said about the biased coverage.

Looking for confrontation is no fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Popular Opinion: There's too much discussion in an thread about opinions.

Unpopular Opinion: Not hurting someone's feelings is more important that facts.

• Advertisement

Mobile Apple devices should be completely banned in the EU in response to the AirTags launch.

If you own an Android, there is no way to know you are being followed by an airtag that is constantly using surrounding iPhones to update its location to its owner. Since iPhones are everywhere, your location will always be known. Even if you use an iPhone, these alerts don't come up if you come close to the airtag often, so you can track your spouse for example incredibly easily.

The logic is simply and impossible to argue against. The surveillance network that provides this tracking shouldn't be for sale.

Advertisement