Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

cms88 wrote: »
    Well there's no child without the father regardless what some might think...

Well the toll on a woman carrying a baby is probably a bit tougher than ejaculating into a cup.

I speak as a father btw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭cms88

Faugheen wrote: »
    Well the toll on a woman carrying a baby is probably a bit tougher than ejaculating into a cup.

I speak as a father btw

Im' not disputing that but still doesn't change the fact that, in most cases, there's no child without a father. Yet there's very much a view that children only have mothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Im' not disputing that but still doesn't change the fact that, in most cases, there's no child without a father. Yet there's very much a view that children only have mothers.

No, there isn't. There is a view that because it is the woman carrying and she is the only one affected by the pregnancy that all decisions re said pregnancy should be hers. It sounds like a couple of people here are forced birthers.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,407 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well there's no child without the father regardless what some might think...

You could repopulate with one cup of semen and 50 women. Try that in reverse. It's not that [re]productive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Overheal wrote: »
    You could repopulate with one cup of semen and 50 women. Try that in reverse. It's not that [re]productive.

One cup of women?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

No, it’s that women are the ones who have to carry the pregnancy, while the men can continue to go out on the piss with the lads if they so wish.

There is zero impact a pregnancy has on a man’s body. If you found out that the baby your partner was carrying had a fatal foetal abnormality and wished to end the pregnancy because she didn’t want to go through the pain for another x number of weeks of the pregnancy as well as giving birth to a child who dies moments later, are you going to tell her that she can’t do that without your say-so?

Sounds very controlling to me.

Before anyone starts with the 12 weeks ‘on-demand’ nonsense as well, would you force a woman who got pregnant as a result of rape to carry the child full-term?

If the answer is yes, you are inhumane.

If the answer is no, then I’d like to hear how you propose that they can have a termination without this.

Irish women have been getting abortions for decades, Ireland just shamed women into getting them somewhere else.

Brian? wrote: »
    One cup of women?

I wouldn't call her a cup unless she's into that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Abortion should only be allowed where there exists a real and substantial risk to the physical health of the mother.

Abortion on demand should be abolished and abortion should be recriminalised. Murder is not a solution to an unwanted child.

Contrary to popular belief, the referendum was to remove the constitutional ban on abortion, it wasn't to enact legislation. There's nothing to stop the Oireachtas reinstating a ban.

Contrary to your mistaken belief, abortion is not murder. Even under Irish law, between 1983 and 2018, it was not considered murder. And in spite of all your silly, emotive language, I don't think you genuinely believe it's murder either. If you did, you wouldn't think it was acceptable to "murder a child to save the mother's physical health".

And while there's legally nothing to stop the Oireachtas from revoking women's bodily autonomy, you're seriously deluded if you think any government within your lifetime is going to touch the issue with a barge-pole. It's settled now, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭cms88

No, it’s that women are the ones who have to carry the pregnancy, while the men can continue to go out on the piss with the lads if they so wish.

There is zero impact a pregnancy has on a man’s body. If you found out that the baby your partner was carrying had a fatal foetal abnormality and wished to end the pregnancy because she didn’t want to go through the pain for another x number of weeks of the pregnancy as well as giving birth to a child who dies moments later, are you going to tell her that she can’t do that without your say-so?

Before anyone starts with the 12 weeks ‘on-demand’ nonsense as well, would you force a woman who got pregnant as a result of rape to carry the child full-term?

If the answer is no, then I’d like to hear how you propose that they can have a termination without this.

Irish women have been getting abortions for decades, Ireland just shamed women into getting them somewhere else.

You take about controlling by men but what about the amount of women who use their children to control men? I use their because the children because when it suits the women the children are either ''their'' or ''ours''.

My point about the idea of children having only mothers has little to do with abortion it's in general. Why many man wants to have children i don't know considering at any time for any reason they can be taken by the mother and he'll be blamed for it no matter who's actually at fault.

You take about controlling by men but what about the amount of women who use their children to control men? I use their because the children because when it suits the women the children are either ''their'' or ''ours''.

My point about the idea of children having only mothers has little to do with abortion it's in general. Why many man wants to have children i don't know considering at any time for any reason they can be taken by the mother and he'll be blamed for it no matter who's actually at fault.

Yeah this has moved from a conversation about abortion to you ranting about women.

I think I’ll leave it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭randd1

The queue of solicitors being taken up to sue the HSE over the recent hacking shows us how far we've become a disgusting people that only care about money and couldn't give a fig about the greater good or basic civic decency.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

There's something lacking in people who queue outside German discounter stores for hours on end so they can buy up "specials" that they didn't know they needed until the marketing campaign told them they needed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

And I voted repeal because if a rape victim chooses to have the child that’s fine too

We’re men , we have the courts and the ability to suck it up

We’re men , we have the courts and the ability to suck it up

Pretty sure men are also capable of threatening to hold ex-partners to ransom by their children.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

The "you shouldn't hit a girl / woman rule" goes out the window once she throws the first dig.

If a woman feels man enough to throw a dig then she's man enough to take one full force back.

I'm a woman btw.

I get where you're coming from but I disagree with this because a woman's face and bone structure is much more vulnerable than people realise. A "full force" punch from a strong man could end up a murder.

Better to restrain a violent woman - just grab both her arms. That is proportionate self-defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

growleaves wrote: »
    I get where you're coming from but I disagree with this because a woman's face and bone structure is much more vulnerable than people realise. A "full force" punch from a strong man could end up a murder.

Better to restrain a violent woman - just grab both her arms. That is proportionate self-defense.

One good punch will be lesson taught that won't be forgotten.

Don't condone violence but if its warranted gender can go out the window.

If its high risk she shouldn't have made the mistake to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Antares35 wrote: »
    There's something lacking in people who queue outside German discounter stores for hours on end so they can buy up "specials" that they didn't know they needed until the marketing campaign told them they needed it.

The last time I saw that, it was mostly tradesmen rushing for stuff they didn't need - or maybe they did, and I just don't know their business as well as they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Antares35 wrote: »

People with this attitude are just bitter they didn't get the deal... :D:D:D

It's relative, to some the inconvenience is no cost but the saving is worth something.

(Coming from a person who has never queued outside them)

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

Contrary to your mistaken belief, abortion is not murder. Even under Irish law, between 1983 and 2018, it was not considered murder. And in spite of all your silly, emotive language, I don't think you genuinely believe it's murder either. If you did, you wouldn't think it was acceptable to "murder a child to save the mother's physical health".

And while there's legally nothing to stop the Oireachtas from revoking women's bodily autonomy, you're seriously deluded if you think any government within your lifetime is going to touch the issue with a barge-pole. It's settled now, thankfully.

It's also not murder when a woman kills her child younger than 12 months, but the lesser crime of infanticide. I doubt any politician would dare change that though.

• Advertisement

We should have a border poll once and for all.

Let NI decide whether or not they want to be part of us.

If the answer is Yes, then they will fully integrate into Ireland.

If the answer is No, slap up a hard border and let us get on with out lives instead of this hokey pokey nonsense. We can fully embrace Schengen etc and no need to protocols etc.

growleaves wrote: »
    A "full force" punch from a strong man could end up a murder.

A full force punch from a strong woman to a weak man can be equally murder.

A full force punch from a strong woman to a weak man can be equally murder.

Ha ha ha no it isn’t

Ha ha ha no it isn’t

You wanted equality, now you have it.

Ha ha ha no it isn’t

If anyone attacks someone else and that kills the victim that can indeed be a murder.

Or were you just clutching pearls about a females ability to kill a male with her bare hands?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

If anyone attacks someone else and that kills the victim that can indeed be a murder.

Or were you just clutching pearls about a females ability to kill a male with her bare hands?

I was on the jury of a murder trial once and the judge used this exact example to define murder:

If some one throws a punch and the victim dies as a result, it doesn't matter if the punch actually killed the victim. If a woman punched a man and he falls downstairs and breaks his neck because of it, the woman is now guilty of murder

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    I was on the jury of a murder trial once and the judge used this exact example to define murder:

If some one throws a punch and the victim dies as a result, it doesn't matter if the punch actually killed the victim. If a woman punched a man and he falls downstairs and breaks his neck because of it, the woman is now guilty of murder

Although the woman would receive a fraction of the sentence a man would receive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

One good punch will be lesson taught that won't be forgotten.

Don't condone violence but if its warranted gender can go out the window.

If its high risk she shouldn't have made the mistake to start with.

One good punch often leads to death. It's a stupid thing to say.
    90 killed in single-punch assaults since 2000
    https://www.smh.com.au/national/90-killed-in-single-punch-assaults-since-2000-20131201-2yjtr.html

Although the woman would receive a fraction of the sentence a man would receive.

Everyone has a sentencing hearing. Totality of circumstances is often considered.

Does Irish law treat males and females differently under sentencing laws?

• Advertisement

Everyone has a sentencing hearing. Totality of circumstances is often considered.

Does Irish law treat males and females differently under sentencing laws?

Ehhhh, yes. Even Hellen Keller's decayed bones can see this.

Advertisement