Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Hamachi wrote: »
    Possibly not an unpopular opinion, but this post epitomizes much of the reasoning prevalent on Boards.

Always jump to the extreme when it suits your argument. Disregard any nuance or shades of grey.

It was a joke. Jesus.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

The apple watch ain't a watch - should be banned!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Brian? wrote: »
    No one is pushing sexuality on kids, anymore than seeing heterosexual couples is pushing sexuality on kids.

The point here is to normalise different sexualities so kids don’t grow up confused about their own feelings. There is absolutely nothing wrong with telling kids that being LGBT+ is normal. Because it is.

yes and it's point I as a parent don't agree with. They* ARE pushing it and it's all LGBT from Cartoon Network and more...I'm not listing them cos I'd have to look them up , I don't keep a note pad to hand of things that I disagree with.

Why? Why can't stuff happen organically in a childs life, who are these corporates to decide to introduce these concepts to the child? Who are they to decide to normalise concepts with children that aren't theirs?

Sure I could ban this stuff from my house but I don't believe in keeping my kids locked up (physically ,mentally or spiritually) so they will be exposed to it when out and about. But lego isn't the appropriate delivery vehicle nor is Cartoon Network.

I have 3 kids , the eldest is 19 and he is aware of LGBT (of course!) so it's not like I never told him - I did when he was a young teen along with the rest of the sex stuff. The younger 2 would be aware of gay people but not au fait with the mechanics of it all and not the twitter politics of LGBT or pronouns or the rest of that gash. That can wait till they are age appropriate. For the moment that should do lego for the sake of lego.

You can disagree and that's fine , we don't parent the same kids.

* who are they? well isn't that the question cos if you knew that you'd know what was really at play.
    A concern for human rights...noble until these you realise same corporates don't sell the LGBT in other parts of the world like China or middle east. odd that.

Btw separate gay people from LGBT and we could reach and agreement.
    But pronouns and the rest of the letters after B....nah fcuk that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Whatever about LGBT etc. I really find it unnecessary and confusing to be introducing kids to the whole pronoun debacle. They've enough shíte to be getting their heads around without wondering if boys are actually boys and girls are actually girls, or if we're all just unicorns. Let them be kids FFS.

On LGBT, I'd prefer to just foster an openness from day one in the home, rather than the school creating big issue around it. So, "uncle Jack is coming by later for a takeaway. He'll be bringing Brian, do you remember him? He's Jack's partner. Will we get a Chinese or McDonald's?". Why can't it happen like that where it isn't a big deal. Worst thing you can do is agenda-ise something IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,393 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Antares35 wrote: »
    Whatever about LGBT etc. I really find it unnecessary and confusing to be introducing kids to the whole pronoun debacle. They've enough shíte to be getting their heads around without wondering if boys are actually boys and girls are actually girls, or if we're all just unicorns. Let them be kids FFS.

Kids are just as easily taught manners, yes please, no thank you, why not teach them other polite protocol? When I was in the 2nd grade one of our classmates was a hermaphrodite. Nobody taught us how to talk about it, and while I cannot remember their name they struggled with their pronouns and we asked about it. This was the early 90's. I recall they took exception with some kids who just wanted to call them a "he-she," there was a whole recess debate about it. Indeed, it was discussed which bathroom was most appropriate for them.

You're not going to stop kids from talking about it, you're only going to stop them from talking about it in a constructive and meaningful way. Pronouns are everywhere outside the classroom, so why not.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    Kids are just as easily taught manners, yes please, no thank you, why not teach them other polite protocol?

Which can be done in the home by parents, and doesn't require a special input from the schools.

Which can be done in the home by parents, and doesn't require a special input from the schools.

The school takes no hesitation to correct improper behavior in schools. I must have received dozens of "referrals" while in the state school system. More than that, students received just as much 'parenting' about pleases and thank yous as any other adult we were put in the care of, no teacher was ever shy to correct you if you said yes or no without a ma'am or a sir, or the ritualistic manner which we must ask for permission to use the bathroom - so why should a pronoun be such an obliviating obstacle?

The school takes no hesitation to correct improper behavior in schools. I must have received dozens of "referrals" while in the state school system. More than that, students received just as much 'parenting' about pleases and thank yous as any other adult we were put in the care of, no teacher was ever shy to correct you if you said yes or no without a ma'am or a sir, so why should a pronoun be such an obliviating obstacle?

And how would my child know she is using a "wrong" pronoun if she refers to a boy as he, etc.? Does an announcement need to be made to the class? Is a letter sent home? If my child is criticised by a teacher because she inadvertently uses a "wrong" pronoun, I'd be raising issue with that.

And how would my child know she is using a "wrong" pronoun if she refers to a boy as he, etc.? Does an announcement need to be made to the class? Is a letter sent home? If my child is criticised by a teacher because she inadvertently uses a "wrong" pronoun, I'd be raising issue with that.

If that's the only problem it's quite basic. It's the same problem as "How do I tell my classmates I'm Overheal and I'm 7 years old and I'm from Seattle" - it's basic how you do's on the first day of class. You just accept people for who they are instead of telling kids in their science lecture that there are only boys and girls and everyone else is an invalid. If your kid is trying to tell some trans boy they are wrong for being who they are - how is that relevant to your child's education? How is that helpful to the boys education? I would absolutely expect you would be informed by the school in some capacity, yes.

... instead of telling kids in their science lecture that there are only boys and girls and everyone else is an invalid. If your kid is trying to tell some trans boy they are wrong for being who they are - how is that relevant to your child's education?

You've made some fairly aggressive assumptions there. But I've noticed that volunteering for outrage does seem to form an integral part of this whole thing for some.

• Advertisement

You've made some fairly aggressive assumptions there. But I've noticed that volunteering for outrage does seem to form an integral part of this whole thing for some.

Well, as have you - you assume that merely slipping up, eg. accidentally and mistakenly calling a student "she" instead of "they," would result in having letters sent out to you. Yet that would be as ridiculous as being sent a letter because Johnny forgot to say "can I please go to the bathroom." It's simply not a rational concern to fear such banal letters being sent out, simply because Johnny momentarily forgot Sam was a they.
    Which is reductio ad absurdum. So in response I did illustrate an example of a scenario I do think, on the contrary, would be indicative of a line being crossed that would actually warrant a letter etc. being sent.

Well, as have you - you assume that merely slipping up, eg. accidentally and mistakenly calling a student "she" instead of "they," would result in having letters sent out to you. Yet that would be as ridiculous as being sent a letter because Johnny forgot to say "can I please go to the bathroom." It's simply not a rational concern to fear such banal letters being sent out, simply because Johnny momentarily forgot Sam was a they.

Which is reductio ad absurdum. So in response I did illustrate an example of a scenario I do think, on the contrary, would be indicative of a line being crossed that would actually warrant a letter etc. being sent.

Yes because your comeback was in the context of "I was corrected for not saying please and thank you". And my reference to letters was actually not a fear of receiving one, it was asking how my child is supposed to know that a boy isn't a he etc., and I asked how that would be communicated so we can all be sure we don't offend anyone. You're the one who jumped to some statement about my child telling another that they're an invalid.

Seems we can add mental gymnastics to the list :D

Yes because your comeback was in the context of "I was corrected for not saying please and thank you". And my reference to letters was actually not a fear of receiving one, it was asking how my child is supposed to know that a boy isn't a he etc., and I asked how that would be communicated so we can all be sure we don't offend anyone. You're the one who jumped to some statement about my child telling another that they're an invalid.

Seems we can add mental gymnastics to the list :D

The fact is you worry about seeing one yes,

"If my child is criticised by a teacher because she inadvertently uses a "wrong" pronoun, I'd be raising issue with that."

My point is it's a ridiculous concern to have if your child is behaving honestly.

The fact is you worry about seeing one yes,

My point is it's a ridiculous concern to have if your child is behaving honestly.

Wrong. And please stop casting aspersions on how you think my child would or should behave. I don't debate with people like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

nj27 wrote: »
    The apple watch ain't a watch - should be banned!

What’s wrong with it? I’ve got one, don’t see why it would be banned.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Wrong. And please stop casting aspersions on how you think my child would or should behave. I don't debate with people like you.

Wow. We will leave it right there then.

paw patrol wrote: »
    yes and it's point I as a parent don't agree with. They* ARE pushing it and it's all LGBT from Cartoon Network and more...I'm not listing them cos I'd have to look them up , I don't keep a note pad to hand of things that I disagree with.

Why? Why can't stuff happen organically in a childs life, who are these corporates to decide to introduce these concepts to the child? Who are they to decide to normalise concepts with children that aren't theirs?

Sure I could ban this stuff from my house but I don't believe in keeping my kids locked up (physically ,mentally or spiritually) so they will be exposed to it when out and about. But lego isn't the appropriate delivery vehicle nor is Cartoon Network.

I have 3 kids , the eldest is 19 and he is aware of LGBT (of course!) so it's not like I never told him - I did when he was a young teen along with the rest of the sex stuff. The younger 2 would be aware of gay people but not au fait with the mechanics of it all and not the twitter politics of LGBT or pronouns or the rest of that gash. That can wait till they are age appropriate. For the moment that should do lego for the sake of lego.

You can disagree and that's fine , we don't parent the same kids.

* who are they? well isn't that the question cos if you knew that you'd know what was really at play.
    A concern for human rights...noble until these you realise same corporates don't sell the LGBT in other parts of the world like China or middle east. odd that.

Btw separate gay people from LGBT and we could reach and agreement.
    But pronouns and the rest of the letters after B....nah fcuk that.

Let’s be clear, is it the T you really have a problem with?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Kids are just as easily taught manners, yes please, no thank you, why not teach them other polite protocol? When I was in the 2nd grade one of our classmates was a hermaphrodite. Nobody taught us how to talk about it, and while I cannot remember their name they struggled with their pronouns and we asked about it. This was the early 90's. I recall they took exception with some kids who just wanted to call them a "he-she," there was a whole recess debate about it. Indeed, it was discussed which bathroom was most appropriate for them.

You're not going to stop kids from talking about it, you're only going to stop them from talking about it in a constructive and meaningful way. Pronouns are everywhere outside the classroom, so why not.

How much is that really helping though? Pronouns themselves I don't really have an issue with, but as the terms man and woman are becoming more inclusive the pronouns are just getting more confusing.

Why is it so difficult to tell your children to use whatever pronoun is requested by someone? It’s simple manners.

You don’t have to go into the mechanics of gender to do that:

“Son/daughter If a person wants to be referred to as something other that he/she, please do that. No, it doesn’t matter what you think they look like. It’s the polite thing to do.”

Discussion over. It’s not rocket surgery.

they/them/theirs

How much is that really helping though? Pronouns themselves I don't really have an issue with, but as the terms man and woman are becoming more inclusive the pronouns are just getting more confusing.

What’s confusing? Follow the persons lead.

Non cisgender people are such a small percentage of the population I really don’t think it’s a big deal.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

What’s wrong with it? I’ve got one, don’t see why it would be banned.

Does it tell the time?

Why is it so difficult to tell your children to use whatever pronoun is requested by someone? It’s simple manners.

You don’t have to go into the mechanics of gender to do that:

“Son/daughter If a person wants to be referred to as something other that he/she, please do that. No, it doesn’t matter what you think they look like. It’s the polite thing to do.”

Discussion over. It’s not rocket surgery.

I'm not talking about "simple manners" and there isn't anything wrong with the example you've given. I'm referring to it being agenda-ised and making it a big thing when it isn't.

I'm not talking about "simple manners" and there isn't anything wrong with the example you've given. I'm referring to it being agenda-ised and making it a big thing when it isn't.

So if we both agree we should teach our kids the simple manners around pronouns, what are you actually objecting to?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

So if we both agree we should teach our kids the simple manners around pronouns, what are you actually objecting to?

You might as well say its simple manners to vote for the Green Party.

Using pronouns has nothing to do with manners, it's an ideological signature

• Registered Users Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Does it tell the time?

It does indeed.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Do you really think it stops at simple manners?

^ Slippery slope fallacy.

Do you really think it stops at simple manners?

I do.

It’s my experience that the vast majority of LGBT+ people just want to be treated decently and live quietly in society with the same rights as anyone else.

There are some extreme fringes of course. But extreme fringes don’t need to be indulged.

Using someone’s preferred pronouns is a simple thing we can all do to help people feel comfortable in society. Don’t they deserve this small consideration?

I don’t get why people see a hidden agenda.

they/them/theirs

^ Slippery slope fallacy.

Thought we were leaving it there :D

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    You might as well say its simple manners to vote for the Green Party.

Using pronouns has nothing to do with manners, it's an ideological signature

Nonsense. Unless you consider being a decent human being and ideological stance.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement