Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,334 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Patience now, won't be long till all those kids are voting, this one isn't going away!

We will see. Peoples' priorities change.

The occupy people were of voting age, where is their cause now?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

We will see. The occupy people were of voting age, where is their cause now?

Some of that occupy energy is actually still there, I believe there's a revolution currently occuring in economics, partly due to it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,334 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Some of that occupy energy is actually still there, I believe there's a revolution currently occuring in economics, partly due to it

Pretty ****ing quiet revolution.

Next trendy hashtag social issue please.

Pretty ****ing quiet revolution.

You have to look for it, but there are very strong movements occuring, with some fairly dramatic shifts in thinking, ideas such as mmt are coming from these movements

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

Heinz > Chef.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Heinz > Chef.

Chef > Heinz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Chef=heinz

Economics is immune to any notion of "revolution". Theories of social justice lie squarely within the bailiwick of sociology and philosophy; macro and financial economics seek to ask "what and how?", not "ought?"

There is no revolution happening in economics. The Marxians, the Chicago creeps, the Institutionalised, the well-meaning Keynesians, the Austrians, the French and all the rest are still working steadily from their founding texts, occasionally firing off missives that might cause someone's lunch to be dumped from the Faculty fridge but is hardly going to cause a global revolution.

It would also be great if people stopped repeating things like "economics texts had to. Be rewritten" because of the last recession. They didn't. Two econometrics journals published some important articles on developments in macroeconomic forecasting, but again, nó revolution.

Anyone who is expecting a forever perplexed-looking man in a crumpled grey suit to start a revolution from Frankfurt, or the bowels of the Belfield Arts Block, is surely harking after a lost cause?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

I believe most African and Asian countries are ethnostates. If “diversity” is to mean anything and not be a one way street, then there should be an effort to make sub Saharan Africa say 10% white. Japan and China also need a massive influx. Then diversity will be OUR strength and not just a concept for white nations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

vladmydad wrote: »
    I believe most African and Asian countries are ethnostates. If “diversity” is to mean anything and not be a one way street, then there should be an effort to make sub Saharan Africa say 10% white. Japan and China also need a massive influx. Then diversity will be OUR strength and not just a concept for white nations.

Actually, I watched a documentary a while back that said the most successful countries financially and socially today are those that are the right mix of "homogenity". Africa is too diverse with many tribes leading too wars (genetically and socially speaking) while places like Russia have too little genetic diversity. Western Europe, and North America have the perfect amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

mickdw wrote: »
    I believe in universal basic income, flat rate per person with alot of the additional benefits cut back.
    Allow 200 welfare payment. Adjust the tax bands to take back 200 of first 300 earned weekly and set bands as they are now for rest of income.
    The benefit is that everyone is better off working whether they do 5 hours or 50 hours per week. No welfare trap. Sure you wouldnt have alot out of 5 hours as the tax take back would be heavy but you would be gaining alittle and you have to pay for the free money somehow.

I believe in everyone's right to go out and earn a living. No handouts unless INCAPABLE of work.
    I'd slash the welfare state.

zig wrote: »
    I don’t believe humans will ever make direct contact with Aliens.

I believe politicians are willing scapegoats for our inability to take responsibility over things we don’t like about ourselves and things we can’t manage well. And that it’s never really a governments fault when things go to ****.

I believe the successful push back against fat shaming and body stereotypes has now become a form of skinny shaming.

As per my reply a few minutes ago, I believe racist sentiments against Irish in the past was most likely due to alcohol.

Our failings are always someone else's (or the government's) fault these days.

Personal responsibility is a thing of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Rodin wrote: »
    I believe in everyone's right to go out and earn a living. No handouts unless INCAPABLE of work.
    I'd slash the welfare state.

If there was no welfare Ireland would have high rates of extreme poverty and a huge class divide.
    There arent enough livable waged jobs for everyone in the country, it would force people into taking 3 or more low paid jobs just to keep afloat.

I really dont agree with people not at risk of homelessness getting free houses, priority should be given to people living in hotels, sleeping on couches and living on the streets.

If there was no welfare Ireland would have high rates of extreme poverty and a huge class divide.
    There arent enough livable waged jobs for everyone in the country, it would force people into taking 3 or more low paid jobs just to keep afloat.

I really dont agree with people not at risk of homelessness getting free houses, priority should be given to people living in hotels, sleeping on couches and living on the streets.

I said slash. Not eliminate.
    Poverty does not exist in Ireland by any reasonable definition.

No-one who has travelled could honestly say, hand on heart, that poverty exists in Ireland. It's not 1850.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I said slash. Not eliminate.

Its just about livable for a single person with low rent, I dont know how families survive on it.
    Id make it easier for people to get back to work or take up work while on social welfare, like not means test their pay every time they get a bit of temporary work, by all means stop the money for the days they work but means testing it against the wages they earn, reducing what they get for the following days/weeks after they work puts people off taking temp jobs that could potentially lead to more permanent roles in the future or give them the experience they need.
    Stop means testing recently unemployed people on their wages from the previous year.
    If people knew they had a secure financial fallback if a job didn't work out for what ever reason or they wouldn't be left in a worse off financial situation by taking part time or temporary work, more people on social welfare might be more willing to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Achebe

We will see. Peoples' priorities change.

The occupy people were of voting age, where is their cause now?

That's an odd question to pose, when a self-proclaimed is having unprecedented success in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Achebe

vladmydad wrote: »

Ah yes, the African countries with many different languages and ethnic groups are ethnostates.

Just because they are all black, doesn't mean they're the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Margaret cash and other travellers shouldn't have a lavish lifestyle funded by the tax payer

Margaret cash and other travellers shouldn't have a lavish lifestyle funded by the tax payer

That's not an unpopular opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭One More Toy

That's not an unpopular opinion

In some circles it's accused of being racist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Cake Man

The pickles/gherkins on a McDonald’s burger are actually tasty and add a nice bit of flavour.

In some circles it's accused of being racist

Unemployed, scrounging circles.

Most gainfully employed people, working hard to make ends meet haven't the time of day for this beggar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Feel that generally posters are confusing unpopular opinions for non-PC popular opinions.

I think teachers are ridiculously badly paid and that cutting their holidays so that schools start back in August rather than September is unfair. Kids have always been hard work to deal with but now that parents want to be friends with their kids, their kids are ****ing abysmal. Croke Park hours? Wtf. Work for the sake of nothing.

I dont think we should talk as much about suicide and mental health as we are being encouraged to do. I think it brings ideas in the heads of impressionable vulnerable people and results in more suicides.

I think Foo Fighters are bang average at best.

I think Andy Gray and Richard Keys, very annoying for yonks though they were, were harshly done by Sky.

I like Tom Cruise and dont mind that he once jumped on a couch to express his love for Katie and that he and the Scientology crew made Katie Holmes have a silent birth.
    I also like Bono and Everton.

I think measures should be quickly introduced to control population starting with basics like no child support for any kids after the second child.

I think keeping birds as pets should be illegal.

Music died about 20 years ago.

Paedophiles are not all as evil and bad as they are made out.

Capital punishment should be a punishment here.

ROI should vote no to let NI join if/when that time comes.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

About 50 per cent of dog breeds have congenital health or behavioral issues due to inbreeding and should be bred out of existence.

Circuses are a 19th/20th century anachronism - particularly ones with “performing” animals and really should be consigned to the dustbin of history.

There are far too many young people in college doing courses who would be much better suited to vocational courses and/or doing an apprenticeship for a useful trade. Third level education isn’t for everybody.

One-off rural houses are a complete blight on our landscapes and unsustainable and should not be allowed planning unless the persons living in them have a direct connection to working the land.

Ireland as a collective nation really needs to face up to the elephant in the room of widespread alcohol dependency and abuse. Ban ALL sponsorship of sporting events and teams by alcohol companies. Break the insidious link between sports and drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

darlett wrote: »
    Yes they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Rashers Big Log

Butter is disgusting

Paddy Cow wrote:
    Yes they are.

Their actions are disturbing, as they are disturbed

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Paedophiles are not all as evil and bad as they are made out

Well let them babysit your kids

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

I dont think we should talk as much about suicide and mental health as we are being encouraged to do. I think it brings ideas in the heads of impressionable vulnerable people and results in more suicides.
    Opinions aside, this is probably scientifically incorrect given that suicide rates are declining. Also talking about mental health is like talking about dental health. The more aware you are that your teeth can go bad the more you'll look after them. Like anxiety and depression, the more aware you are that these things happen and happen to alot of people the less likely you'll work yourself into a hole of feeling lonely and in despair.

However you're right re: suicides, this is why media tend not to report suicides, so thats not an unpopular opinion.

I think keeping birds as pets should be illegal.
    Yes

Ones that act out on their desires are destroying someone else life, catching them while they are at their most vulnerable and doing almost irreversible damage. Nowadays, given that the results of child abuse are so well known I think its as evil as cold blooded murder.

However on the contrary, I do believe there should be a space for people who are sexually attracted to children to talk about it and be open about it because I would have confidence that 99% of these people would never do a thing and instead suffering tremendously inside as they cannot share this secret with anyone.

Capital punishment should be a punishment here.
    Well, I guess it is just your opinion, but just so you know statistically it doesnt reduce the severity or frequency of crime.

ROI should vote no to let NI join if/when that time comes.
    Although I dont agree, I am open to it, why do you think this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

dubstarr wrote: »
    Paedophiles are not all as evil and bad as they are made out

Well let them babysit your kids

No. For they are simply not to be trusted to look after kids. Can you think of anyone else you wouldn't trust to look after kids, but who is not evil and bad? People who are clumsy, or forgetful, or drinkers, too dirty, too careless, too busy, or perhaps too stupid. Or just people you dont know very well. All of these are perhaps too evil and bad to babysit your kids.

A paedophile who knows their desires are messed up, and are even repulsed by their own thoughts and puts distance between themselves and temptation so they cant commit any act, or voluntarily takes chemical castration to prevent themselves acting out, is very different to a child groomer, or to someone who builds a childrens hospital wing and keeps the keys for it, acting on all their vile fantasies.

To bracket the former with the latter as evil and bad is just too convenient and lazy. I would question at what stage a 'thought' only paedophile becomes a paedophile. At a first isolated inappropriate thought shuddered away with shame and unpleasant regret? Are they immediately evil. Or are they a reformed Paedo then. How about at the second? A senior student at secondary school throwing their paedo eyes at the new first years?

Advertisement