Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

so what? people are irresponsible all the time. what good will it do to either the mother or the child by forcing the mother to carry the child to term(1)? what is the problem with allowing the woman to make medical decisions for herself(2)? why you do you think you are better placed to make that decision for her(3)? it is attitudes like yours that led to the mother and baby homes and the magdelene laundries.

So what?
    Straw man stuff (3 of them in that post alone)
    And an ad hominin.

Poor tailoring, a shoddy riposte in a cheap suit if you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So what?
    Straw man stuff (3 of them in that post alone)
    And an ad hominin.

Poor tailoring, a shoddy riposte in a cheap suit if you will.

I see the posts of the forced-birthers haven't improved since the referendum. God forbid you might actually address the contents of a post. much easier to simply dismiss it and announce you have won.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I see the posts of the forced-birthers haven't improved since the referendum. God forbid you might actually address the contents of a post. much easier to simply dismiss it and announce you have won.

It's much easier because they have nothing in the way of fact to defend it and no alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

I don't know if this is unpopular, but-

- You would want psychiatric help if you have interest in buying a home in an estate built post 2015 in Dublin.

They are ALL cookie cutter ugly, with the high walls, high roofs, minimalist front garden, with the faux Rural England development names along the lines of Castle Farm, Birchfield Wood, Brierton Meadows, I just made these up and I'd wager one of them actually exists :pac:

Why anybody would drop 400k to live in one of these monstrosities, only to find the council has bought the house to the left via Part V to give to some unemployed Roma for life, and they are paying a REIT 2000 a month of your taxes to house all sorts in half the other houses on the road.

I would far, far rather buy an ex council house for half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭cms88

Faugheen wrote: »
    It's much easier because they have nothing in the way of fact to defend it and no alternative.

There was a full list posted a few posts back but unsurprisingly you made no comment on that. I wonder why that might be....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

If I got pregnant again the responsible choice would be be have an abortion. I've no interest in having another child. We could afford it and we have the living space but I would resent the child. Why force me to continue a pregnancy like this.
    Taking responsibility for your reproduction involves considering all your options.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Sakana

paw patrol wrote: »
    if take was your takeaway from my post , I can't help you.

When did Irish people start using takeaway in this way? :)

I'm a "forced birther" now? Wow

For stating unprotected consensual sex resulting in pregnancy is not sexually responsible? How does such a statement give any hint to my views of the 8th?

But you're saying it is...
    That unprotected consensual sex resulting in pregnancy is sexually responsible.
    Interesting thought process.

You're the one that started with the straw man. Why argue a point I've not made, to indulge your propensity to strawman.

Na, it's much easier to straw man and shout "slut shamer"

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

I find it so sad all the political outrage over the nitty gritty of the pubs reopening and the total disregard for public health and safety. Not to mention all the cranks on social media comment sections and Twitter. They have all shown they are the least dependable in times of crisis.

• Advertisement

regardless of Circumstance - I like how you word that as if all these women were in terrible situations...shoehorning all women into one category.

Well here is the first lie because I never did that. You’re doing it now for some bizarre reason.
    The terrible circumstance argument was only a ploy, when most abortions are by women who aren't in those circumstance.
    Those women were used by the pro abortion lobby to get their foot in the door using emotionally difficult arguments. To pull the heartstrings of the fence sitters.
    In the UK in 2019 (England and Wales) 98% of abortions were in CAT C.
    which is the catch all category.

cos it ignores
    Cat A - risk to life of the mother
    Cat B - risk of grave permanent injury (physical or mental)
    Cat D - Risk of injury to women's existing children
    Cat E - Handicap or deformity of the unborn
    Cat F - save the life of the pregnant woman
    Cat G - To prevent grave permanent injury to the physical or mental health of the pregnant woman.

But what of cat C, it says

Hidden message; fully expect a reply of one line calling me arrogant or another name after I have wasted my time replying to this.

which I'm sure has genuine cases but it's the catch all.
    But all the terrible cases as argued by the repeal crew would be accounted for in the other categories.

So all the arguments of the Repeal the 8th account for 2% of abortions in england and wales.
    Sure it's not ireland but it's reasonable to assume our stats wouldn't be a million miles away.

For most it's a choice - you can dress it up anyway you want but it boils down to sexual irresponsibility - and the misguided opinion sex without any consequences is a basic right.

Of course the terrible circumstances exist, there is no denying this.
    But as the UK stats show ...only 2% are ticking that category.

the abortion battle is over - but spare me the lies.

All of this is lovely, but like I said before just a load of ramblings and giving out without any other solutions.

Fact is the no side went balls deep on making sure the constitution said women who were raped or had a FFA should be forced to maintain the pregnancy.

Ronán Mullen chatted sh*te in the last week of the campaign about inserting a rape clause into the 8th Amendment instead which 1. He never had any interest in and 2. Was completely unworkable.

I said no solutions were offered to women who found themselves in those situations. I never said all women who got an abortion found themselves in those situations so clearly you’ve just wasted your time on a point I never made.

Either you’re incapable of reading posts properly or you’ve decided to ramble on to distract from the fact that you have no other solution other than to force that 2% to carry to full-term or f*ck them off on a plane or a boat to the UK and wash our hands of them.

cms88 wrote: »
    There was a full list posted a few posts back but unsurprisingly you made no comment on that. I wonder why that might be....

A full list of what? Different categories for abortion? What’s the solution in terms of the constitutional amendment for abortion?

Seems like you didn’t read the post yourself because all it was was a rant based on something I never said.

A full list of what? Different categories for abortion? What’s the solution in terms of the constitutional amendment for abortion?

Seems like you didn’t read the post yourself because all it was was a rant based on something I never said.

''All I saw was women being encouraged to carry to term regardless of their situation or circumstances and those asking for that being called out''

What are you saying here then?

You said nothing about ''solutions'' here?

It's you who's going on a rant. But of course as we've seen people on your side of most debates are never wrong are they?

''All I saw was women being encouraged to carry to term regardless of their situation or circumstances and those asking for that being called out''

What are you saying here then?

You said nothing about ''solutions'' here?

It's you who's going on a rant. But of course as we've seen people on your side of most debates are never wrong are they?

Read my initial post again.

All of it.

Every last word.

And maybe you will learn something.

The only option put forward by the ‘no’ side were to force these women in these particular circumstances to either continue with pregnancy or to send them off on a plane or a boat.

Or, allow them to get treatment here. Very simple choice in my opinion.

Read the post again.

All of it.

Every last word.

And maybe you will learn something.

What part are we all missing? Are are you just not going to tell us?

What part are we all missing? Are are you just not going to tell us?

Why? So I can go on another long-winded explanation only for you to cut out the majority of the post to isolate one part taken out of context?

I said no alternatives were put forward to bring the women in these situations into consideration. I never once said all women who get abortions are in this group, ever.

Therefore, the vote no crowd only ever suggested that the status quo remained, which is inhumane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Can we leave the abortion debate behind. We've had enough of it on this site to last several lifetimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭randd1

Can we leave the abortion debate behind. We've had enough of it on this site to last several lifetimes.

Unfortunate use of the pun there. But your point stands.

I'll give it a go at moving it on.

The suicide rate amongst young men has increased in correlation with the heavy increase in female teachers, as female teachers (not individually, as a group in general) see girls as something to be taught and boys as something to be controlled, a situation fuelled by negative connotations attached to masculinity and the effect that view has on developing males.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

Just like bus and truck drives have to undergo regular CPC retraining and other professions have to be consistently reexamined, I believe teachers should have to sit the HL leaving cert papers in the subjects which they're being paid to teach on a yearly basis to ensure their knowledge is still up to scratch.

If teaching is as vital to the economy as they make out (and I agree it is vital) then quality is key.

I have to regularly undergo constant performance analysis in work as do all my colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

Alcohol sales should be deregulated and available 24/7 from any shop willing to open, even from chippers and takeaways.

Beer and wine should be available to 16 year olds and keep spirits at 18 (just like Germany).

Ireland, the UK and the Nordic countries are counterproductive in their measures to "curb" alcohol consumption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

randd1 wrote: »

The suicide rate amongst young men has increased in correlation with the heavy increase in female teachers, as female teachers (not individually, as a group in general) see girls as something to be taught and boys as something to be controlled, a situation fuelled by negative connotations attached to masculinity and the effect that view has on developing males.

The statistics would paint a different picture. The suicide rate for men has fallen over the last couple of years for men and the group most at risk of suicide would appear to be middle aged men.

Suicide-rates-in-Ireland-by-gender-2004-2018-3.png

Suicide-rates-by-age-and-gender-2007-2018-3.png

Graphs are from the National Suicide Research Foundation. https://www.nsrf.ie/statistics/suicide/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

my post had nothing but facts pointing out the difficult circumstances was overplayed. With reference to your point on circumstances.
    You don't like those facts , that's ok - I'm not here to convert you.
    Either you’re incapable of reading posts properly or you’ve decided to ramble on to distract from the fact that you have no other solution other than to force that 2% to carry to full-term or f*ck them off on a plane or a boat to the UK and wash our hands of them.

nope. my reply was reasonable to the point you made re: circumstances.
    True I elaborated in a way that was beyond the scope of your initial few lines but that is the norm of debate .
    If that upsets you , what of it? But I read you post perfectly well

Sakana wrote: »
    When did Irish people start using takeaway in this way? :)

since covid started and I'm WFH with 2 PCs on the go simultaneously

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Just .... Vegans .... Shut up about it. We heard you the 50th time you mentioned you were Vegan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

since covid started and I'm WFH with 2 PCs on the go simultaneously

I think everyone is :)

lazygal wrote: »
    If I got pregnant again the responsible choice would be be have an abortion. I've no interest in having another child. We could afford it and we have the living space but I would resent the child. Why force me to continue a pregnancy like this.
    Taking responsibility for your reproduction involves considering all your options.

Your final point is true and I'm not here to stop you or dissuade you but I (and others) can have a negative view of your (notional) actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Poetry and English lit should be expunged from the school curriculum. They could be replaced with finance, economics, investment, critical thinking/logic. I'd even think some basic elements of psychology and anthropology might be appropriate.

The ability of conservative forces to control, limit and retard school curriculums is astonishing. The English lit and poetry focus is virtually victorian. And drop Irish or at least make it optional.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I think everyone is :)

sadly it compounds my already poor spelling -

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

cnocbui wrote: »
    Poetry and English lit should be expunged from the school curriculum. They could be replaced with finance, economics, investment, critical thinking/logic. I'd even think some basic elements of psychology and anthropology might be appropriate.

The ability of conservative forces to control, limit and retard school curriculums is astonishing. The English lit and poetry focus is virtually victorian. And drop Irish or at least make it optional.

I can get behind a revamp but the concept of English Lit is beneficial to everyone in an age the ability to speak and write is being eroded by the accepting of poor grammar and written word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

randd1 wrote: »

that cant be correct , "Blindboy " says " young men need feminism " and hes this generations expert on mental health

Advertisement