Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I can get behind a revamp but the concept of English Lit is beneficial to everyone in an age the ability to speak and write is being eroded by the accepting of poor grammar and written word.

Reading for enjoyment do the heavy lifting in imparting those things. The depressing and tortuous stuff comprising most English Lit curriclua actually put people off reading, in my experience. They turn an activity that should be enjoyable into a horrible chore.

English lit is not about imparting or teaching grammar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    that cant be correct , "Blindboy " says " young men need feminism " and hes this generations expert on mental health

You're right. That can't be correct. Suicide rates are decreasing not increasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭cms88

Just like bus and truck drives have to undergo regular CPC retraining and other professions have to be consistently reexamined, I believe teachers should have to sit the HL leaving cert papers in the subjects which they're being paid to teach on a yearly basis to ensure their knowledge is still up to scratch.

If teaching is as vital to the economy as they make out (and I agree it is vital) then quality is key.

I have to regularly undergo constant performance analysis in work as do all my colleagues.

Imagine the complaining they'd have if this was brought in. The mere idea of being held to account for their work is unthinkable

paw patrol wrote: »
    my post had nothing but facts pointing out the difficult circumstances was overplay. With reference to yoru point on circumstances.
    You don't like those facts , that's ok - I'm not here to convert you.

nope. my reply was reasonable to the point you made re: circumstances.
    True I elaborated in a way that was beyond the scope of your initial few lines but that is the norm of debate .
    If that upsets you , what of it? But I read you post perfectly well

Don't waste your time. To use Faugheen words, the yes crowd are never happy unless you fully agree with them on everything. He got an answer to his question and when he didn't like it he desided he wanted the question to be different. He'll keep doing that until he gets the answer he wants.

It's ironic how these people who talking about equality etc are some of the mot closed minded people you can come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

cnocbui wrote: »
    Poetry and English lit should be expunged from the school curriculum. They could be replaced with finance, economics, investment, critical thinking/logic. I'd even think some basic elements of psychology and anthropology might be appropriate.

The ability of conservative forces to control, limit and retard school curriculums is astonishing. The English lit and poetry focus is virtually victorian. And drop Irish or at least make it optional.

Assigned lit like Hard Times, King Lear and Macbeth are better basic psychology texts than an intro to Freud, Jung, Lacan etc. imo

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

cms88 wrote: »
    To use Faugheen words, the yes crowd are never happy unless you fully agree with them on everything. He got an answer to his question and when he didn't like it he desided he wanted the question to be different. He'll keep doing that until he gets the answer he wants.

It's ironic how these people who talking about equality etc are some of the mot closed minded people you can come across.

You are such a liar. I never ever changed tack whatsoever.

I said that no alternatives or solutions were put forward by the no side for women who were raped or had a FFA.

The reply I got was a long-winded ramble about how many women this actually affects and the insinuation was that I acted that all women get abortions for this reason.

Actual bullsh*tter.

How am I being close minded as well? Restricting women’s access to healthcare is as close-minded as you can get.

F*ck me you are actually making it all up as you go along.

Faugheen wrote: »
    You are such a liar. I never ever changed tack whatsoever.

I said that no alternatives or solutions were put forward by the no side for women who were raped or had a FFA.

The reply I got was a long-winded ramble about how many women this actually affects and the insinuation was that I acted that all women get abortions for this reason.

Actual bullsh*tter.

How am I being close minded as well? Restricting women’s access to healthcare is as close-minded as you can get.

F*ck me you are actually making it all up as you go along.

As you might say yourself

Read the post again.

All of it.

Every last word.

And maybe you will learn something.

I'm no longer going to reply to you as you have no interest in anything other than what you want o hear

As you might say yourself

Read the post again.

All of it.

Every last word.

And maybe you will learn something.

I'm no longer going to reply to you as you have no interest in anything other than what you want o hear

It's clear to me that you think raped women should be forced to hold onto their pregnancies then.

Otherwise you wouldn't be arguing a toss like you are now.

I don't care if it's 1% or 100%. Telling a woman who is pregnant because of rape that they should do the full term or else getting a boat over to the UK is f*cking wrong. Shame on you.

Thankfully Ireland has moved on from backwards dinosaurs who think they can still tell women what to do with their own bodies.

I'll leave it there, because you're debating in bad faith and I'm tired of it.

It's clear to me that you think raped women should be forced to hold onto their pregnancies then.

Otherwise you wouldn't be arguing a toss like you are now.

I don't care if it's 1% or 100%. Telling a woman who is pregnant because of rape that they should do the full term or else getting a boat over to the UK is f*cking wrong. Shame on you.

Thankfully Ireland has moved on from backwards dinosaurs who think they can still tell women what to do with their own bodies.

I'll leave it there, because you're debating in bad faith and I'm tired of it.

You see this is the thing. Where did i ever say anything like that? You're saying what you want to hear when it's not there and go off in a sulk when you don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

You see this is the thing. Where did i ever say anything like that? You're saying what you want to hear when it's not there and go off in a sulk when you don't like it.

What is your proposal for women and children who are pregnant because they were raped and don't wish to continue the pregnancy?

• Advertisement

lazygal wrote: »
    What is your proposal for women and children who are pregnant because they were raped and don't wish to continue the pregnancy?

An abortion. I've never said otherwise anywhere

An abortion. I've never said otherwise anywhere

And that was only possible in Ireland following repeal of the eighth amendment and legislation for abortion. Did you vote to repeal the eighth amendment?

And that was only possible in Ireland following repeal of the eighth amendment and legislation for abortion. Did you vote to repeal the eighth amendment?

I didn't. Contrary to some posts on this thread i didn't agree in full with either side a both didn;t get heir point across. However in my experience, not the same for all, the yes were more inclined to not want to hear anything other than what they wanted to hear.

For things likes rape etc yes of course someone should.

I didn't. Contrary to some posts on this thread i didn't agree in full with either side a both didn;t get heir point across. However in my experience, not the same for all, the yes were more inclined to not want to hear anything other than what they wanted to hear.

For things likes rape etc yes of course someone should.

If you didn't vote to repeal the eighth you wanted people pregnant after raped to be forced to stay pregnant.

If you didn't vote to repeal the eighth you wanted people pregnant after raped to be forced to stay pregnant.

How did i want that? This is just what i said. Nowhere have i said anything like that yet because i didn't vote yes i have to want this, In fact by not voting you're somehow on the no side!

Anywhy like your friend i'm not going to reply to you so if you don't hear what you want to you're not intereted

How did i want that? This is just what i said. Nowhere have i said anything like that yet because i didn't vote yes i have to want this, In fact by not voting you're somehow on the no side!

Anywhy like your friend i'm not going to reply to you so if you don't hear what you want to you're not intereted

A no vote was a vote to retain the status quo, whereby anyone who needed an abortion and didn't fall within the 2013 legislation had to travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Purple is a Fruit

Can't stand when people do that. It's obnoxious and so disingenuous.

(I voted yes BTW but dishonesty from anywhere really frustrates me).

Can't stand when people do that. It's obnoxious and so disingenuous.

(I voted yes BTW but dishonesty from anywhere really frustrates me).

It's not dishonest. Anyone who voted no (as that poster admitted to doing), voted to force raped women to carry to term or to get the boat because nothing would change.

There is nothing dishonest about that. It's 100% fact.

Lads and lassies, the abortion debate is boring as ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

If I got pregnant again the responsible choice would be be have an abortion. I've no interest in having another child. We could afford it and we have the living space but I would resent the child. Why force me to continue a pregnancy like this.
    Taking responsibility for your reproduction involves considering all your options.

Whatever about someone who's never had kids, I don't think I'll ever understand how anyone who already has a child and can think back to when their child was in the 1-12 week phase of their existence can reconcile the idea of abortion.

• Advertisement

Lads and lassies, the abortion debate is boring as ****.

Some people want to talk about it.

If you don’t want to talk about it then don’t. Stop coming in here to lecture others who do want to talk about it.

Whatever about someone who's never had kids, I don't think I'll ever understand how anyone who already has a child and can think back to when their child was in the 1-12 week phase of their existence can reconcile the idea of abortion.

I was puking all day every day for months. I'm not going through that again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Me either. But it's absolutely none of my business so I voted Yes.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

It's not dishonest. Anyone who voted no (as that poster admitted to doing), voted to force raped women to carry to term or to get the boat because nothing would change.

There is nothing dishonest about that. It's 100% fact.

No they said they didn't vote

No they said they didn't vote

Which is an acceptance of the status quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The poster did not "admit to voting no"

The fact it is something to "admit to" on its own indicates he would be somehow wrong for voting the other way. For context 1 in 3 voted No.

I voted yes, but was alot more conflicted on it then the marriage referendum. It was a very emotive topic for some and everyone has their reasons for voting the way they did. Shaming someone for voting one way or the other (wider media not you) discourages honest debate on things.

Some people want to talk about it.

If you don’t want to talk about it then don’t. Stop coming in here to lecture others who do want to talk about it.

Create your own abortion thread then. I don't want to have to keep wading through the same arguments ad nauseam. Nobody is going to convince the other side that they are right. Never going to happen.

No it's not.
    Voting "no" would be, as Faugheen said.

They said they didn't vote
    Poster might have been unable to vote.
    Or otherwise ineligible/unable for some reason.

Create your own abortion thread then. I don't want to have to keep wading through the same arguments ad nauseam. Nobody is going to convince the other side that they are right. Never going to happen.

Or you can mind your own business and I’ll discuss it in here, thank you.

• Advertisement

Yes/no - it's a discussion. Avoid if its problematic.

People should be able to ventilate opinions, problem is when people are unable to appreciate others' opinions and gaslight or strawman.

I voted "yes", am not Catholic, but I understood and respected some of the "no" side, but had some reservations due to my views on life due to personal circumstances.

The FFA/rape argument was certainly leveraged by the "yes" side - as they should to provide abortion as a form of birth control. But as those UK stats show, they're a very small number of reasons for abortion. It seems even discussing then makes you "a forced birther".

Advertisement