Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

No they said they didn't vote

They said they didn’t vote to repeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

It'll be unpopular with some but I am sick of so much of our political discourse at the moment being about Israel & Palestine. We have issues at home that they can actually do something about and impact. Stop wasting time thinking you can make a difference to that conflict and concentrate on the people that elected you and that you represent.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Create your own abortion thread then. I don't want to have to keep wading through the same arguments ad nauseam. Nobody is going to convince the other side that they are right. Never going to happen.
    Faugheen wrote: »
    Or you can mind your own business and I’ll discuss it in here, thank you.

Mod

Quit bickering, both of ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Nose picking is totally justifiable based on the evolution of digits designed to fit up holes where annoying, dried snot resides.

Just wash your hands afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Nose picking is totally justifiable based on the evolution of digits designed to fit up holes where annoying, dried snot resides.

Different ones get to different places.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

Faugheen wrote: »
    They said they didn’t vote to repeal.

They answered they didnt vote...

Possible reasons:
    Unable
    Ineligible
    Disenfranchised

"They didn't vote to repeal" implies they voted against or didnt use their vote in support of the proposal, and were thus unsupportive of the proposal.

Different ones get to different places.

Noses?

Noses?

I knew a guy in school who grew his thumb nails really long, and sharpened them, so they could be used as a type of shovel to scoop out any nasal “detritus” from the front inside bit.

Was absolutely revolting to witness.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Whatever about someone who's never had kids, I don't think I'll ever understand how anyone who already has a child and can think back to when their child was in the 1-12 week phase of their existence can reconcile the idea of abortion.

I'd never have an abortion, I couldn't live with myself, but the first 12 weeks on both my pregnancies were hell for both me and my fiancé. Nausea, vomitting, mental health issues etc. It ain't for the faint hearted. I used to be way more pro life, of the "sure have it and adopt it out to someone else" persuasion. But, there's nothing like cold hard experience to give you a bit of perspective. Pregnancy isn't easy. All these images of women delightedly stuffing salad into their mouths like hamsters on craic while rubbing their tummy and smiling lovingly at their partner have a lot to answer for. They actually make me really angry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

Free state paid abortion on demand = less scrotes.

(Back to Unpopular Opinions)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Esho wrote: »

Wouldn't have any effect. You'd need to take away the single mother benefits and allowances.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

MarkEadie wrote: »
    Wouldn't have any effect. You'd need to take away the single mother benefits and allowances.

If you are on state benefits, any form of child allowance should cut out after 2. Free contraceptives should be offered, if not already.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

cnocbui wrote: »
    If you are on state benefits, any form of child allowance should cut out after 2. Free contraceptives should be offered, if not already.

Isn't the pill already free on the medical card?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭stratowide

Esho wrote: »

Freakonomics did a chapter on this in their first book.Well worth a read.

stratowide wrote: »
    Freakonomics did a chapter on this in their first book.Well worth a read.

The recent rise in crime in NY would kind of put the lie to that hypothesis too though really..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

breastfeeding in public is as good as scratching your balls in public. and should be treated equally.

if breastfeeding is perfectly natural, beautiful and indeed necessary then so is scratching your bollocks.

urgent - check. perfectly natural - check. equally classy - check.

its just a scrotum grow up.

85603 wrote: »
    breastfeeding in public is as good as scratching your balls in public. and should be treated equally.

if breastfeeding is perfectly natural, beautiful and indeed necessary then so is scratching your bollocks.

How often are you scratching your balls?

No one really bats an eyelid at any slight “readjustment” but to see a lad really going at it, nails and all, always hints to a bigger “problem”. Perhaps fungal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Purple is a Fruit

Defecating, urinating, copulating, masturbating (or, as mentioned, scratching an itch on one's genitals) - yes, these are all perfectly natural, just as breastfeeding is perfectly natural.

However... none of the above (hopefully) involve feeding a baby that will scream soon, if not screaming already. And the mother usually covers most of her breast.

It's not an original or clever argument.

Is your scrotum going to scream the place down if you don't scratch it? Because a hungry baby needs to eat or it will.

And I say that as a woman who actually hates nipple Nazis pushing a breastfeeding agenda.

Defecating, urinating, copulating, masturbating (or, as mentioned, scratching an itch on one's genitals) - yes, these are all perfectly natural, just as breastfeeding is perfectly natural.

However... none of the above (hopefully) involve feeding a baby that will scream soon, if not screaming already. And the mother usually covers most of her breast.

And let's not forget about the literal scrotes who go around with their hands permanently down their tracksuit bottoms, clutching at their balls as if they're afraid they'll fall off :D

• Advertisement

It is a clever argument. The best argument. Everyones saying it.

Get up. Go find a quiet space. Same as with farting or tackling an unmercifully itchy bollox.
    Nobody wants to know. Have some class, make the token effort.

Antares35 wrote: »
    And let's not forget about the literal scrotes who go around with their hands permanently down their tracksuit bottoms, clutching at their balls as if they're afraid they'll fall off :D

Indeed. The other side of the same coin.

Brian? wrote: »
    Isn't the pill already free on the medical card?

"if not already."

Go find a quiet space. Same as with farting or tackling an unmercifully itchy bollox.
    Nobody wants to know. Have some class, make the token effort.
    There is also an infant child involved - what other space can you suggest?

And others... can just not look. If you're serious, it doesn't lack class to feed a baby, which isn't remotely comparable to farting or genital scratching. You can do both in the toilet. A woman most certainly should not be made to feel pressured into feeding her baby in a toilet.

I'd never have an abortion, I couldn't live with myself, but the first 12 weeks on both my pregnancies were hell for both me and my fiancé. Nausea, vomitting, mental health issues etc. It ain't for the faint hearted. I used to be way more pro life, of the "sure have it and adopt it out to someone else" persuasion. But, there's nothing like cold hard experience to give you a bit of perspective. Pregnancy isn't easy
    My cousin was so violently sick for her entire pregnancy that she had to be hospitalised numerous times, and her liver was inflamed. Horrendous experience. Twins born at 31 weeks and they were struggling a bit initially but they're OK now thankfully.

I'm not someone who thinks people who disagree with abortion are automatically woman haters, bible thumpers etc. I also dislike some pro choice rhetoric, but as you say, pregnancy can be a very serious medical condition and I can't stand the way very early termination (which rape and incest survivors should have access to - barbaric to make them go full-term when they're traumatised and in poor health) is deemed the same as killing a baby.

There is also an infant child involved - what other space can you suggest?

And others... can just not look. If you're serious, it doesn't lack class to feed a baby, which isn't remotely comparable to farting or genital scratching. You can do both in the toilet. A woman most certainly should not be made to feel pressured into feeding her baby in a toilet.

well i wasn't expecting it to be a 10 y.o. of course theres an infant involved.

if i have to look away for your bodily response which is sacred and wonderful, then you have to look away for mine which is also sacred and wonderful.

nobody wants to see in either case. if you need to do deal with some very visible personal bodily issue, and you're in public at the time. then have some respect for your fellow members of the public and go away for a moment.
    there are usually options other than a bathroom, although some bathrooms would be fine.

Is your scrotum going to scream the place down if you don't scratch it? Because a hungry baby needs to eat or it will.

And I say that as a woman who actually hates nipple Nazis pushing a breastfeeding agenda.

then by all means get up, go somewhere with a bit of privacy, and feed it.

this is something you could do out of consideration. it would be mannerly.

My cousin was so violently sick for her entire pregnancy that she had to be hospitalised numerous times, and her liver was inflamed. Horrendous experience. Twins born at 31 weeks and they were struggling a bit initially but they're OK now thankfully.

I'm not someone who thinks people who disagree with abortion are automatically woman haters, bible thumpers etc. I also dislike some pro choice rhetoric, but as you say, pregnancy can be a very serious medical condition and I can't stand the way very early termination (which rape and incest survivors should have access to - barbaric to make them go full-term when they're traumatised and in poor health) is deemed the same as killing a baby.

I think people are free to deem it whatever they want in their own opinion, but it is the imposition of that opinion on others that is the problem. You can't tell someone an opinion is wrong, but you can tell them that it is wrong to expect others to conduct their lives in accordance with it. This is my stance anyway. I am allowed my opinion on what abortion is - we all are. But what we are not allowed to do (or at least shouldn't) is tell others that they must live their lives by it. It really is just every woman's own business at the end of the day. Nobody really knows what anyone else is going through. Yesterday I actually packed my hospital bag even though I'm only 32 weeks, because the thought of another eight weeks of mental hell was too much for me. I have no wish to force any other woman through that, irrespective of my beliefs. :(

then by all means get up, go somewhere with a bit of privacy, and feed it.

this is something you could do out of consideration. it would be mannerly.

I never breastfed in public because my baby was born in lockdown, but I'd like to think in a different situation that my fellow diners wouldn't have expected my daughter to eat in a toilet!

• Advertisement

I never breastfed in public because my baby was born in lockdown, but I'd like to think in a different situation that my fellow diners wouldn't have expected my daughter to eat in a toilet!

My wife breastfed on planes, many times. I thought anyone offended was quite welcome to go and sit in the toilet.

Advertisement