Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

cnocbui wrote: »
    My wife breastfed on planes, many times. I thought anyone offended was quite welcome to go and sit in the toilet.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Antares35 wrote: »
    I never breastfed in public because my baby was born in lockdown, but I'd like to think in a different situation that my fellow diners wouldn't have expected my daughter to eat in a toilet!

Id expect you to have the manners to make the effort to find a bit of privacy. But oh well, probably wont get that courtesy anymore these days.

Your boob is wonderful ... thing of beauty yadda yadda. Everyone else should adapt, you're the exception and co-incindentally its also convenient to you. Every other bodily function is frowned upon in public but of course we can't question women. Let everyone else look away, and you just do what you like. No need to make any effort.

(It doesn't necessarily have to be a bathroom)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Purple is a Fruit

Saying someone said a whole pile of stuff they never said - always a great discussion skill.

Feeding a baby is totally on a par with every other bodily function. There are so many private places in which a woman can breastfeed alone when out and about that that poster can't even name one.

Actually yeah, this dreadful babyfeeding necessity is just *women* getting the upper hand.

Saying someone said a whole pile of stuff they never said - always a great discussion skill.

Feeding a baby is totally on a par with every other bodily function. There are so many private places in which a woman can breastfeed alone when out and about that that poster can't even name one.

Actually yeah, this dreadful babyfeeding necessity is just *women* getting the upper hand.

I can only put it out there that its not polite. Some people will get it. Others, ...not so much.
    Bit of courtesy, would be nice.

You wouldn't find it courteous if she let her baby scream for food - if you're talking about impolite. How about the courtesy she deserves? And nobody said anything about the breast being a thing of beauty. Only you are doing the putting words in the mouth thing.

And then to frame it as just women being uppity. Christ. If you're serious, it's pretty extraordinary dishonesty to act as though it's just to make you uncomfortable when it's to feed a baby.

• Advertisement

You wouldn't find it courteous if she let her baby scream for food - if you're talking about impolite. How about the courtesy she deserves? And nobody said anything about the breast being a thing of beauty. Only you are doing the putting words in the mouth thing.

And then to frame it as just women being uppity. Christ. If you're serious, it's pretty extraordinary dishonesty to act as though it's just to make you uncomfortable when it's to feed a baby.

A thing of beauty ha. I've never felt less divine than when I was trying to nurse my baby tbh :D maybe he's just jealous of the boobies...

Yep, take the courtesy she deserves and weigh it against the courtesy everyone else deserves.

Feed the baby, that way it wont scream, thats polite thank you.
    And for bonus civility points, go do it somewhere else so that you and your needs adapt to the room, rather than the room having to adapt to you.

But you don't speak for everyone else. You're only thinking about yourself (while ironically admonishing a woman as being selfish... for feeding her child). From what I've gathered, most people don't care or are supportive of what she needs to do.

Where else can she go to breastfeed if she has to be out and about? I'd say there are women who would prefer somewhere more private too but there aren't such places. And a toilet cubicle - don't be having a laugh.

Very much depends on the context.

Why not just make the effort. I assure you, in many places people dont want to see that, I've had it said to me by others.
    They/we could all look away but why should multiple others have to adapt to your issue.

As with someone who wants to scratch their balls, or clip their toes, or wash their underarms or deal with many other bodily issues it would be polite for you to make the effort so that the many dont have to adapt to you. But rather that you might briefly adapt to the many. A shocking thought I'm sure.

As to where, Im sure in most situations theres somewhere available away from the crowd.
    Where there isn't, such as a plane, its no biggy so whatever I'd just look away, I'd rather not have to but whatever.
    Theres probably nothing to be done in a flying metal tube so its not really a question of courtesy.
    Restaurant/cafe/etc it would just be impolite.

Itchy balls should never been a thing beyond the odd readjustment. Use some conditioner to soften the hair and use some female wash or whatever. I use my girlfriend's Saforelle and we're both happier for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

85603 wrote: »
    I can only put it out there that its not polite. Some people will get it. Others, ...not so much.
    Bit of courtesy, would be nice.

I would contend that it's you being impolite.

It's bizarre that you find the sight of breastfeeding so offensive. Tiny babies are great, boobs are great. What happened to you as a child that you're so upset by them?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

A thing of beauty ha. I've never felt less divine than when I was trying to nurse my baby tbh :D maybe he's just jealous of the boobies...

I'll be honest, breastfeeding almost ruined my enjoyment of boobs. They are wonderful. But for about 10 years I saw every one of my female friends and my wife breastfeeding so often I became numb to them.

I wouldn't have it any other way. The sooner the ignorance displayed by that poster is eradicated the better. Breasts are for feeding kids, just get over it.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »

It's bizarre that you find the sight of breastfeeding so offensive. Tiny babies are great, boobs are great. What happened to you as a child that you're so upset by them?

See theres that fairytale wonderfulness again. Whats offensive about a finger digging around in a nose? Or an anus? Or a hand rummaging around in my pants.

Everyone should just look away, everyone should adapt to me. Im blameless and wonderful. I dont need to make any effort.

Every other scratch, pick, squeeze, wash, clip, leak, fondle, wipe, etc involving the body is impolite. And a mannerly person wouldnt subject others to 'just looking away'. Why would lactating be any different?

See theres that fairytale wonderfulness again. Whats offensive about a finger digging around in a nose? Or an anus? Or a hand rummaging around in my pants.

Everyone should just look away, everyone should adapt to me. Im blameless and wonderful. I dont need to make any effort.

Every other scratch, pick, squeeze, wash, clip, leak, fondle, wipe, etc involving the body is impolite. And a mannerly person wouldnt subject others to 'just looking away'. Why would lactating be any different?

Why do you think everyone should look away? Staring is rude, but you can talk to a breastfeeding lady without making it weird.

The fact that you're coming breastfeeding to picking at your arse just shows your own hang ups. Picking at your arse is disgusting because that's where faeces comes from and faeces is unhygenic. Same with picking snot from your nose. Breast milk is the complete opposite of faeces, it's food not a waste product.

Scratch your balls in public if you want, I couldn't give a damn. But wash your hands afterwards because the moisture and heat around the ball sack is the ideal breeding ground for fungi and bacteria. Boobs tend to be quite a bit cleaner than an itchy ball sack.

You're the odd one here if you can't see that.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

"I have to look away that woman is being impolite"

Or just not stare at a breastfeeding woman in the first place. Are you so unable to contain your primal urges that you simply must look at a partially exposed breast with a feeding child attached, and become offended at your own outrage? Look away. It's really very strange that you would notice a breastfeeding woman in the first place, and even stranger that you would continue to ogle her.

It's really bizarre. Your main argument here is the you don't want to not look at a baby feeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I've been breastfeeding for most of the past 9 years. I've never had any negative comments in that time. The only people who have ever commented were two older ladies who said they loved seeing women out feeding their babies and an older man who said he wanted to tell me how great I was doing because he knew how hard it was as "the wife" had breastfed all of their children.
    I couldn't care less if some idiot thinks feeding my baby or child is weird or gross or the same as me wiping my arse. I'm very happy such idiots seem to keep their stupid thoughts in their tiny brains.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

not breastfed?

not breastfed?

No good argument then. Just cheap shots.

Its not a biggy, theres nothing to stop you, and yeah I can look away, or even interact with you if necessary while you walk around with your hands down your cacks.

....sorry, I meant while you breastfeed.

[HTML][/HTML]
    "I have to look away that woman is being impolite"

Or just not stare at a breastfeeding woman in the first place. Are you so unable to contain your primal urges that you simply must look at a partially exposed breast with a feeding child attached, and become offended at your own outrage? Look away. It's really very strange that you would notice a breastfeeding woman in the first place, and even stranger that you would continue to ogle her.

It's really bizarre. Your main argument here is the you don't want to not look at a baby feeding.

Cheap and insincere attempt.

Anyone who wants to distance themselves from such a greasy post I invite to speak up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

[HTML][/HTML]

Cheap and insincere attempt.

Anyone who wants to distance themselves from such a greasy post I invite to speak up.

No, he rather hit the nail on the head. As far as breastfeeding is concerneed, anyone taking offence, is the problem and likely has some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

No good argument then. Just cheap shots.

Its not a biggy, theres nothing to stop you, and yeah I can look away, or even interact with you if necessary while you walk around with your hands down your cacks.

....sorry, I meant while you breastfeed.

yeah because walking around with your hands down your trousers and breastfeeding are essentially the same thing. You really do have a serious issue.

cnocbui wrote: »
    No, he rather hit the nail on the head. As far as breastfeeding is concerneed, anyone taking offence, is the problem and likely has some.

Primal urges. Ogle. Self control.

Really? Lets just not.

not breastfed?

My diagnosis is a severe lack of hugs from his/her mammy.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Primal urges. Ogle. Self control.

Really? Lets just not.

why don't you want to not look at a breastfeeding woman?

My diagnosis is a severe lack of hugs from his/her mammy.

Classy.

why don't you want to not look at a breastfeeding woman?

Maybe he doesn't have any boobies in his life and he's jealous that the babies are hogging them all. Damn babies :D

Maybe he doesn't have any boobies in his life and he's jealous that the babies are hogging them all. Damn babies :D

Play the ball not the man.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Unpopular opinion (or maybe popular I dunno):

Men who give out about breastfeeding mothers don’t actually give a ****e, they’re just trying to convince themselves that it’s another way for women to be total opressers.

Play the ball not the man.

That the the itchy sweaty ball or the other one?

• Advertisement

Faugheen wrote: »
    Unpopular opinion (or maybe popular I dunno):

Men who give out about breastfeeding mothers don’t actually give a ****e, they’re just trying to convince themselves that it’s another way for women to be total opressers.

Same men probably no issue oogling and objectifying topless women on a beach. I doubt they'd run around complaining about their eyes bleeding from the impolite shock of it all on a beach.

The boobs only offend when they're used for a purpose other than sexual gratification.

Advertisement