Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭randd1

Antares35 wrote: »
    Same men probably no issue oogling and objectifying topless women on a beach. I doubt they'd run around complaining about their eyes bleeding from the impolite shock of it all on a beach.

The boobs only offend when they're used for a purpose other than sexual gratification.

I would sincerely doubt any man really does have a problem with breast-feeding, unless he's some sort of weirdo.

I have absolutely no problem with any woman throwing her breast out in public, for any reason.

In fact, there's no-where near enough women walking around with their breasts out in public, and I would wholly support any woman that feels free to whip out her breasts, for what ever reason.

That being said, regarding breast-feeding, there's a time and a place too. For example, if you're at a working lunch, or at a funeral or wedding, it would probably be no harm for all involved to go somewhere a little more private for a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It’s a kid getting a drink get over it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

randd1 wrote: »

I would wholly support any woman that feels free to whip out her breasts, for what ever reason.

That being said, regarding breast-feeding, there's a time and a place too. For example, if you're at a working lunch, or at a funeral or wedding, it would probably be no harm for all involved to go somewhere a little more private for a few minutes.

Are these not contradictory statements?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

85603 wrote: »
    See theres that fairytale wonderfulness again. Whats offensive about a finger digging around in a nose? Or an anus? Or a hand rummaging around in my pants.

Everyone should just look away, everyone should adapt to me. Im blameless and wonderful. I dont need to make any effort.

Every other scratch, pick, squeeze, wash, clip, leak, fondle, wipe, etc involving the body is impolite. And a mannerly person wouldnt subject others to 'just looking away'. Why would lactating be any different?

Do you mind going somewhere else to blow your nose, I find it offensive that I have to see you do it.
    Also yawning and sneezing btw.

No one needs to look away, no one needs to do anything, why would you?
    Why would you react to a woman breastfeeding any differently than you would to a man sneezing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Cordell

lazygal wrote: »
    I've been breastfeeding for most of the past 9 years. ...

I'd say maybe it's a good idea to stop breastfeeding once they're past 9yo...

• Advertisement

Are these not contradictory statements?

No.

randd1 wrote: »
    No.

I disagree.

I disagree.

Then it would appear we're in disagreement.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Do you mind going somewhere else to blow your nose, I find it offensive that I have to see you do it.

Why would you react to a woman breastfeeding any differently than you would to a man sneezing?

The funny thing is, I don't think I've ever heard anyone saying that someone has "confronted" them about breastfeeding in public. So, it seems to me that some people like to give out about breastfeeding online etc. but don't have the balls to actually say it to someone's face. Such bravery and conviction is to be commended :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The funny thing is, I don't think I've ever heard anyone saying that someone has "confronted" them about breastfeeding in public. So, it seems to me that some people like to give out about breastfeeding online etc. but don't have the balls to actually say it to someone's face. Such bravery and conviction is to be commended :D

you would have to be an awful prick to go up to a breastfeeding lady and ask her to stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

you would have to be an awful prick to go up to a breastfeeding lady and ask her to stop.

and maybe that should be enough for the complainer to realise that they are in the wrong?

and maybe that should be enough for the complainer to realise that they are in the wrong?

you would think so but ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Usually not a very drawn out affair though is it. Quick blow of the nose. If someone were very congested then yeah it might be courteous of them to just step out for a second.

Yawning, people usually cover their mouth if theyve got good manners. If someone doesnt want to do these things thats their choice, but I know for a fact that people dont appreciate them.
    If you have some class you'll make the effort. Because someone might not like you taking care of your bodily functions in their presence.
    You wouldnt sit there in public applying a roll on, or clipping your nails, or picking your belly button, cause you know nobody wants to see these divine blessings of nature. Which are all perfectly normal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Play the ball not the man.

Nothing wrong with catching the man after you've won the ball first.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

There is some fetish, which i cant remember what its called about looking at breastfeeding in public. A mate of mine years ago sent a link to a website full of pictures of breastfeeding women in cafes and the like. I reckon he has the fetish :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Purple is a Fruit

If someone feels squeamish at the sight of breastfeeding, that's just their opinion, but to view it as just selfishness and self entitlement and comparable to bodily functions like excretion and sexual release, and as a woman just being uppity... is utterly bizarre. Not to mention "she should be the considerate one and go elsewhere" - wow! It's feeding a baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I don't know anyone in real life who's been confronted. They may have had a comment from a family member about moving elsewhere to feed but I haven't ever heard anyone say a stranger told them they should move and it was gross to feed in public.

If someone feels squeamish at the sight of breastfeeding, that's just their opinion, but to view it as just selfishness and self entitlement and comparable to bodily functions like excretion and sexual release, and as a woman just being uppity... is utterly bizarre. Not to mention "she should be the considerate one and go elsewhere" - wow! It's feeding a baby!

Never directly compared it to sexual release.

Wow, its cleaning a nostril, wow its scratching a ballsack.
    Let me sit here, do my thing and you all deal with it. I could get up incase some person or persons finds it offputting, but fck them I do what I want.

Exact same attitude as the spit hocker, the nose/ear picker, the hand in my pants youngfellas. The room adapts to me I dont adapt to the room.

Which is the opposite of consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Purple is a Fruit

Wow, its cleaning a nostril, wow its scratching a ballsack.
    Let me sit here, do my thing and you all deal with it. I could get up incase some person or persons finds it offputting, but fck them I do what I want.

Exact same attitude as the spit hocker, the nose/ear picker, the hand in my pants youngfellas. The room adapts to me I dont adapt to the room.

Which is the opposite of consideration.
    Ah this is absurd. It's feeding a baby. Doesn't even begin to compare to those acts, which a person can just do by themselves in the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Is this the 1939 thread ?

• Advertisement

Ah this is absurd. It's feeding a baby. Doesn't even begin to compare to those acts, which a person can just do by themselves in the toilet.

Yes its feeding a baby. Lactating. And given the choice some people in some contexts would rather not know about it. And if you dont know now you know Waynetta.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Yes its feeding a baby. Lactating. And given the choice some people in some contexts would rather not know about it. And if you dont know now you know Waynetta.

This is a rather weird hill to die on, mate.

Scratch your bollocks all you want. Just don't expect people to just be perfectly ok with you doing it and then tucking your fungal'd hands into a sandwich.

lazygal wrote: »
    I don't know anyone in real life who's been confronted. They may have had a comment from a family member about moving elsewhere to feed but I haven't ever heard anyone say a stranger told them they should move and it was gross to feed in public.

I was in a cafe once and the woman next to our table was breastfeeding.
    There were two young lads filming a youtube video I assume, with their phone.
    She was behind the one being filmed and doing his "review" of the place.

She told the guy with thew phone to put down the phone and stop filming.
    He refused and a bit of an argument ensued. Waitress came down to sort it out.
    I would have just said if you dont want to be in the background of their video just move. But she was making a huge issue that they were trying to film her tits. Now that probably might happen, but it wasnt in this case. They were just two kids doing what they all seem to be doing these days.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I was in a cafe once and the woman next to our table was breastfeeding.
    There were two young lads filming a youtube video I assume, with their phone.
    She was behind the one being filmed and doing his "review" of the place.

She told the guy with thew phone to put down the phone and stop filming.
    He refused and a bit of an argument ensued. Waitress came down to sort it out.
    I would have just said if you dont want to be in the background of their video just move. But she was making a huge issue that they were trying to film her tits. Now that probably might happen, but it wasnt in this case. They were just two kids doing what they all seem to be doing these days.

they should have enough cop on to stop of their own accord.

Adapt to me. Im special. And equal too.

Adapt to me. Im special. And equal too.

they should have stopped filming when asked to, regardless of the reason. It is called not being a ****.

Why? They werent even pointing the camera at her. She was just [paranoid because she thought they were filming her tit. They werent.
    And even if they were, its a public place and they are allowed to film.

Why?

because it is good manners. Can somebody not be sitting peacefully in a cafe without some knobhead filming some stupid video? It is worrying that you need that explained to you.

because it is good manners. Can somebody not be sitting peacefully in a cafe without some knobhead filming some stupid video? It is worrying that you need that explained to you.

I was there. Didnt see the problem tbh.
    Guys were filming video in a public place.
    Woman had her tit out and assumed they were filming her when they werent.
    Instead of putting it away, she played the victim and lost.
    But carry on with your social justice on the interwebs.

• Advertisement

I was there. Didnt see the problem tbh.
    But carry on with your social justice on the interwebs.

well of course YOU didn't see the problem.

Advertisement