Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

well of course YOU didn't see the problem.

There was no problem. Jesus you are hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A cafe is not a public place and no one has an automatic right to film in one. From outside in public space they do. The cafe owner has the right to say yay or nay.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

JimmyVik wrote: »

Except there was a problem.

It's perfectly normal for a woman who is breastfeeding to ask people who are filming some stupid ****e in her vicinity to stop doing so.

In fact it's perfectly normal for anyone in that situation to ask them to stop filming because they might not want to potentially appear online or among WhatsApp group chats.

People are perfectly within their rights to ask people to stop. This is not a 'social justice' thing. It's basic manners and respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

cnocbui wrote: »
    A cafe is not a public place and no one has an automatic right to film in one. From outside in public space they do. The cafe owner has the right to say yay or nay.

After the fact.
    The film/content is theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

No, there was a problem. You just can't see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭event

There is some fetish, which i cant remember what its called about looking at breastfeeding in public. A mate of mine years ago sent a link to a website full of pictures of breastfeeding women in cafes and the like. I reckon he has the fetish :)

Thats not a fetish. Thats a creepy weirdo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Purple is a Fruit

85603 wrote: »
    Yes its feeding a baby. Lactating. And given the choice some people in some contexts would rather not know about it.
    Indeed, but it has to be done in public sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

There is some fetish, which i cant remember what its called about looking at breastfeeding in public. A mate of mine years ago sent a link to a website full of pictures of breastfeeding women in cafes and the like. I reckon he has the fetish :)

tumblr_n6axtufOlZ1rhwe3do10_r1_400.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Can we move on from the breastfeeding discussion please, if you feel that strongly for or against it go start a thread on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Are Irish people just a bit backward in general? (speaking as an Irish person)

• Advertisement

Can I bring up the topic of parent/child spaces?

Is that ok?

Are Irish people just a bit backward in general? (speaking as an Irish person)

Nah I wouldn't say that as a generalisation. It's easy to forget that boards doesn't actually represent the Irish population in any shape or form.

I think many just don't like the idea of change. The whole 'ah sure, isn't it grand already?' kind of attitude.

I think Irish people (in a general sense) are quite forward thinking, but there is a sizeable cohort that are happy with the status quo.

Can I bring up the topic of parent/child spaces?

Is that ok?
    They're a helpful gesture towards those mothers and fathers who have a baby carrier and a toddler and bags of shopping and it's pouring rain. Whereas one person by themselves who doesn't have mobility difficulties is in less need of the parent and child space. But anyone can park in them. The same rules which apply to wheelchair parking spaces don't apply to parent and child spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The same rules which apply to wheelchair parking spaces don't apply to parent and child spaces.

Which is a real shame. Can be infuriating when you see someone in a Micra, without any children in tow, parking in one and sending you around to squeeze into a smaller space.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 83,393 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They're a helpful gesture towards those mothers and fathers who have a baby carrier and a toddler and bags of shopping and it's pouring rain. Whereas one person by themselves who doesn't have mobility difficulties is in less need of the parent and child space. But anyone can park in them. The same rules which apply to wheelchair parking spaces don't apply to parent and child spaces.

If its after a certain hour nobody around here regards them as parent/child spots - not so often you see children corraled into the grocery store at 8PM etc. so they can walk a couple extra feet/meters when theres not as much parking traffic anyway. The overarching purpose is to keep children safe. With handicap its a bit different - you need that space's size to get your wheelchair etc. no matter the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

they are also closer to the entrance, or certainly a pathway, so you can safely manouvre a toddler or non-buggy child out of the way of vehicular traffic that may be moving into a space beside or behind the space occupied by the parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Overheal wrote: »
    With handicap its a bit different - you need that space's size to get your wheelchair etc. no matter the time.
    the parent/child are also more spacious than other spaces for the same reason, easy to open a door to get access to the child seat for doing the straps etc, because in the other spaces some unobservant moron would park right up beside the car meaning the back doors can't be opened wide enough to allow that to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,393 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That too, normally right next to the crosswalk to the entrance. But at night, parking traffic is much tamer than it is eg. right after work and before dinner. Spaces are no bigger than standard at my local.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

Unpopular opinion #1: Hospital car parks

Hospital car parking charges should be abolished and replaced with a validation system for genuine users (i.e., outpatients, inpatients, etc.). Abusers of the car park, i.e., park and ride commuters and shoppers will be charged punitively to exit the car park unless they have a validated ticket.

This will benefit in the long run. Patients using car parks with pay and display won't be sitting there if there's a delay worrying (on top of their health) if they're going to be clamped when they come out.

Secondly, park and ride commuters are not deterred from using hospital car parks as the car parks are roughly the same as city centre car parks anyway. So if we have a validation scheme and punitive charges for misusers (i.e. €200 per day) then genuine users will be better guaranteed a spot. It'll be win-win really.

Unpopular opinion #2: Religion in schools

All religion should be removed from schools. When I arrived here roughly a decade ago having completed my compulsory education in Örebro I was amazed that schools were festooned with crucifixes and religious paraphernalia .

The amount of time wasted on religion and preparation for the sacraments in second class is criminal, even more so in 6th class, which is the foundation for secondary school.

If communion and confirmation mean that much to you, the organise it yourself with the parish priest to do the ceremony outside of school..

Unpopular opinion #3: Housing and planning and building

All planning laws should be repealed and / or changed.
    It's ridiculous that planning can be rejected or challenged based on ludicrous notions. As long as a historical site or protected building (ie, a thatched cottage) isn't being compromised then there is very little grounds for objection.

If I want to build a house made from orange and pink bricks that looks like a spaceship, then what's the harm?

Furthermore to this, buildings in urban areas should have a minimum height to be granted planning, this is one of the few areas when planning should be refused if space (especially public space) isn't being efficiently used. Otherwise I take a very libertarian stance on things.

Perhaps when public or semi-state offices are being built it should be compulsory to build a certain number of apartments either on top or on the bottom of the tower block. This could be put out to tender to ensure competition but with a strict impartial watchdog in place to ensure corners are not being cut.

You should only get one refusal of a social house and the reason better be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Perhaps so, but the owner of the car park would be within their rights to use camping to enforce their own parking rules.

• Advertisement

Just remembered it’s June. Would imagine we’ll get someone by to question the need for Pride and why straight people can’t have one in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Faugheen wrote: »
    Just remembered it’s June. Would imagine we’ll get someone by to question the need for Pride and why straight people can’t have one in the coming weeks.

Where’s my parade ?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Faugheen wrote: »

The When Is International Men's Day brigade.

lazygal wrote: »
    The When Is International Men's Day brigade.

November 19th this year for future reference.

Unpopular opinion #1: Hospital car parks

Hospital car parking charges should be abolished and replaced with a validation system for genuine users (i.e., outpatients, inpatients, etc.). Abusers of the car park, i.e., park and ride commuters and shoppers will be charged punitively to exit the car park unless they have a validated ticket.

This will benefit in the long run. Patients using car parks with pay and display won't be sitting there if there's a delay worrying (on top of their health) if they're going to be clamped when they come out.

Secondly, park and ride commuters are not deterred from using hospital car parks as the car parks are roughly the same as city centre car parks anyway. So if we have a validation scheme and punitive charges for misusers (i.e. €200 per day) then genuine users will be better guaranteed a spot. It'll be win-win really.

Unpopular opinion #2: Religion in schools

All religion should be removed from schools. When I arrived here roughly a decade ago having completed my compulsory education in Örebro I was amazed that schools were festooned with crucifixes and religious paraphernalia .

The amount of time wasted on religion and preparation for the sacraments in second class is criminal, even more so in 6th class, which is the foundation for secondary school.

If communion and confirmation mean that much to you, the organise it yourself with the parish priest to do the ceremony outside of school..

Unpopular opinion #3: Housing and planning and building

All planning laws should be repealed and / or changed.
    It's ridiculous that planning can be rejected or challenged based on ludicrous notions. As long as a historical site or protected building (ie, a thatched cottage) isn't being compromised then there is very little grounds for objection.

If I want to build a house made from orange and pink bricks that looks like a spaceship, then what's the harm?

Furthermore to this, buildings in urban areas should have a minimum height to be granted planning, this is one of the few areas when planning should be refused if space (especially public space) isn't being efficiently used. Otherwise I take a very libertarian stance on things.

Perhaps when public or semi-state offices are being built it should be compulsory to build a certain number of apartments either on top or on the bottom of the tower block. This could be put out to tender to ensure competition but with a strict impartial watchdog in place to ensure corners are not being cut.

You should only get one refusal of a social house and the reason better be good.
    Most of those aren't unpopular at all.

Which is a real shame. Can be infuriating when you see someone in a Micra, without any children in tow, parking in one and sending you around to squeeze into a smaller space.

But we're all equal now. Isnt this discrimination based on familial status?

So you dislike left-wing politics. And you're here either faking or forming real opinions that take left-wing ideas like equality and take them too far in order to try punch holes in them.

"A man scratching his balls is equal to a mother breastfeeding."
    "Treating someone with children differently is discrimination."

What a waste of time, and what a shallow basis for opinions. I hope for your sake you're faking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

We can still try and run a society that has a bit of empathy and takes consideration of others. Small gestures like giving preferential parking for the disabled or people with little children or allowing mothers the space to breastfeed their children. Things that can make other people's days a bit easier that are not going to impact on yours at all.

It's very juvenile edgelord stuff you're coming out with.

So you dislike left-wing politics. And you're here either faking or forming real opinions that take left-wing ideas like equality and take them too far in order to try punch holes in them.

"A man scratching his balls is equal to a mother breastfeeding."
    "Treating someone with children differently is discrimination."

What a waste of time, and what a shallow basis for opinions. I hope for your sake you're faking it.

No I dont have any rigid partisan political views.

We're not allowed to discuss that previous matter, but I stand by what I said.

How is a facility (parking spots) dedicated to one category on the basis of familial status not a discrimination.

Where is the knackered manual worker space?

• Advertisement

No I dont have any rigid partisan political views.

We're not allowed to discuss that previous matter, but I stand by what I said.

How is a facility (parking spots) dedicated to one category on the basis of familial status not a discrimination.

Where is the knackered manual worker space?

The space is dedicated to those that have children with them. It doesn't even have to be your own child. they don't even check. So it doesn't fall under family status discrimination.

Advertisement