Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

85603 wrote: »
    But we're all equal now. Isnt this discrimination based on familial status?

Equality of opportunity not equality of outcome is the goal.

Someone with a family/someone elses kids needs the same opportunity to get out of their car as someone without, this means providing a wider space to get everyone out of the car in a reasonable time. It's actually not about being closer to the shop. It's about the ability to open your door further to take out baby seats or strap kids into booster seats.

I stopped using the parent parking once my kids could get themselves into their own seats.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

All religion should be removed from schools. When I arrived here roughly a decade ago having completed my compulsory education in Örebro I was amazed that schools were festooned with crucifixes and religious paraphernalia .

The amount of time wasted on religion and preparation for the sacraments in second class is criminal, even more so in 6th class, which is the foundation for secondary school.

If communion and confirmation mean that much to you, the organise it yourself with the parish priest to do the ceremony outside of school..

Oooooh, a very unpopular one around here. Be prepared for the backlash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

A secondary school program which gives extra time off over the summer.
    One of the modules is a mandatory abattoir visit, full in-depth study, with test. Over two or more days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

A secondary school program which gives extra time off over the summer.
    One of the modules is a mandatory abattoir visit, full in-depth study, with test. Over two or more days.

We went on a school tour to an abattoir back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

But we're all equal now. Isnt this discrimination based on familial status?

Another person who doesn't understand the difference between equality and equity...

• Advertisement

Antares35 wrote: »
    Another person who doesn't understand the difference between equality and equity...

I understand the end result.
    One might labor hard for the day, building and operating places like like aldi/lidl. Yet on arrival is less equal than the one who sat at home all day.
    The parent and child spaces, previously mother and child spaces, feature a road-marking of a woman and kid.
    Lets not fool ourselves.

This in a world of preferred pronouns.

All hgvs, slow moving construction plant, and agricultural vehicles barred from the roads 08:00 -09:00.
    17:00-18:00.

All L-plates too.

Buses allowed.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I understand the end result.
    One might labor hard for the day, building and operating places like like aldi/lidl. Yet on arrival is less equal than the one who sat at home all day.
    The parent and child spaces, previously mother and child spaces, feature a road-marking of a woman and kid.
    Lets not fool ourselves.

This in a world of preferred pronouns.

You really do feel like a victim of oppression, don’t you?

Absolutely none of these have any impact on you or your life but you’re so offended and put out by them.

Have a day off and stop thinking the world is out to get you.

All hgvs, slow moving construction plant, and agricultural vehicles barred from the roads 08:00 -09:00.
    17:00-18:00.

Bicycles too (including me, From the days I do driv, i am well aware how much traffic is slowed by bicycles.)
    And widen those hours.

You moan about people being treated differently and now you want to discriminate against people based on their jobs. Why should a parent be able to use the road to get to their special parking spot when a hard-working farmer can't use the road?

• Advertisement

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Bicycles too (including me).
    And widen those hours.

I didnt know i could get this hard.

the one who sat at home all day.

The agenda is starting to show folks :D

You moan about people being treated differently and now you want to discriminate against people based on their jobs. Why should a parent be able to use the road to get to their special parking spot when a hard-working farmer can't use the road?
    The agenda is starting to show folks :D

This is the unpopular opinions thread, not the socially acceptable, politically correct and morally consistent thread.

As for hgv ban, thats not discriminating against people and would be net beneficial for the economy, probably good for reducing stress in the greater population too.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ElJaguar

JimmyVik wrote: »
    We went on a school tour to an abattoir back in the day.

Bovine University :pac:

ElJaguar wrote: »
    Bovine University :pac:

We went to the abattoir, the local ulsterbank (Locked into the safe for a few minute, no less) and then a swim in the sea all in one day in 6th class. They really knew how to do school tours back then :)

free womens sanitary products are ridiculously overhyped.

every time theres a story about a jurisdiction or a business making free sanitary products available the media and much of society go on about it like the cure for cancer has been found under a diagram for a functional water powered engine.

the outpouring of righteous smugitude and good-for-you-ing is in no way proportionate, and the bullshtters come out with stories painted to resemble ww2 level suffering. in fact if you consider all of the other issues in daily life such a development is low in urgency and probably not so important to any significant number of people.

free womens sanitary products are ridiculously overhyped.

every time theres a story about a jurisdiction or a business making free sanitary products available the media and much of society go on about it like the cure for cancer has been found under a diagram for a functional water powered engine.

the outpouring of righteous smugitude and good-for-you-ing is in no way proportionate, and the bullshtters come out with stories painted to resemble ww2 level suffering. in fact if you consider all of the other issues in daily life such a development is low in urgency and probably not so important to any significant number of people.

Again, another issue that literally does not impact you.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Again, another issue that literally does not impact you.

Doesnt have to.

Doesnt have to.

It doesn't, I agree.

But you are posting like you are actively being put out by it and that it has a huge impact on your life.

You have such anger and vitriol towards parents using a car-parking space, comparing breastfeeding to scratching your bollocks and now that quite frankly weird tirade about women's sanitary products.

Faugheen wrote: »
    It doesn't, I agree.

But you are posting like you are actively being put out by it and that it has a huge impact on your life.

You have such anger and vitriol towards parents using a car-parking space, comparing breastfeeding to scratching your bollocks and now that quite frankly weird tirade about women's sanitary products.

But where else can I air such opinions, if not in a thread called unpopular opinions?
    We've seen that a few people lost their nut to the point of various insults. Thats what would happen if I dared say these things in other threads, I'd probably be quickly banned by certain mods?

The 'thing we can't discuss' is something you should do in private, like bollock scratching.

• Advertisement

But where else can I air such opinions, if not in a thread called unpopular opinions?

I'd be curious to know if you've ever tried saying it to the people in question. Have you tried airing your grievances with breastfeeding mothers, parents using designated parking spaces, or teenage girls paying for their sanitary pads with a coupon? It might be cathartic. And let's face it, that's what a real man would do :D

I'd be curious to know if you've ever tried saying it to the people in question. Have you tried airing your grievances with breastfeeding mothers, parents using designated parking spaces, or teenage girls paying for their sanitary pads with a coupon? It might be cathartic. And let's face it, that's what a real man would do :D

Im not that bothered tbh. Like if you saw someone scratching their balls, or vag (just to even things out), or digging in their nose, in the wrong setting, say a cafe or a library, how bothered would you be? Probably just roll your eyes, say ffs to yourself.
    Maybe youd post about it on a forum, like so many have about young double hard bastards going round holding their mickey. Are all those people filled with vitriol, didnt get hugs, on an agenda, etc etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

No I dont have any rigid partisan political views.

We're not allowed to discuss that previous matter, but I stand by what I said.

How is a facility (parking spots) dedicated to one category on the basis of familial status not a discrimination.

Where is the knackered manual worker space?

The space is to allow the un/packing of a pram.

If you have a Zimmer frame to unload, that's the disabled space.

Surprised you are complaining, manual workers get f**ked over every way, you should be used to it by now!

85603, you're adopting positions you don't believe in. Don't expect us to respect your supposed opinions when they are purely reactionary. The truth is you don't think scratching your balls in public is acceptable, but you are arguing it is because you equate it with something that society does actually think is acceptable. It's a fallacious type of arguing that might work against a 14-year-old.

All you are is a man with a chip on his shoulder who hates that women get treated differently sometimes when all they do is sit at home while men like you go to work. And to deal with this evidently shlt life you have, you come online and argue that breastfeeding, extra room to put a pram in a car, or a free tampon, are discriminatory and over-hyped. You have such a hard and tough life while these women just get handed everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

may I ask why are teenage girls paying for sanitary pads with coupons?
    do their parents not provide them - surely with wages , social welfare and childrens allowance there is plenty of money to pay for the sanitary products.

You may argue that parent spend the money elsewhere....I can't deny this happens. But that's a neglect issue not a poverty one.

I'm not against helping those in need but claiming poverty can't be true.

No adult is too poor to buy those products in Ireland. The money is being spent elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

paw patrol wrote: »
    do their parents not provide them - surely with wages , social welfare and childrens allowance there is plenty of money to pay for the sanitary products.

You may argue that parent spend the money elsewhere....I can't deny this happens. But that's a neglect issue not a poverty one.

No adult is too poor to buy those products in Ireland. The money is being spent elsewhere.

exactly. If the parent do not supply the money for sanitary products what do you suggest the child does?

I'm not actually going to argue that point at all, about where the parents spend their money. I actually agree with you that the money is likely there but perhaps not assigned to where it should be. But, I suppose I just don't really care that much in the greater scheme of things, about teen girls getting a few freebie pads. It's so far down the list of things that would come between me and my sleep :D Perhaps they should be made available in schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

exactly. If the parent do not supply the money for sanitary products what do you suggest the child does?

Avail of the free pads.
    And hope the parents die a horrible death - probably not much else can be done.

I'm not actually going to argue that point at all, about where the parents spend their money. I actually agree with you that the money is likely there but perhaps not assigned to where it should be. But, I suppose I just don't really care that much in the greater scheme of things, about teen girls getting a few freebie pads. Perhaps they should be made available in schools.

In school would be a very good idea.

Avail of the free pads.
    And hope the parents die a horrible death - probably not much else can be done.

In school would be a very good idea.

I remember we had period product machines in the bathroom when I went to school. At the time they were 20p (showing my age now!) There was this poor male teacher we used to wind up something terrible. Ask to be excused to go to the bathroom, then come back in and ask him if he had a spare 20p. He'd be frantically rummaging in his pockets with his face getting redder trying to find 20p. Teenage girls can be very cruel :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's not really an opinion, more a shortcoming of my own, but I can't take women football pundits seriously and I don't like listening to them or watching them. There's an Ireland game about to start and they have some woman on it I have no idea who she is.
    I know it's me being a dinosaur and it's wrong but I don't think my feelings on this will ever change, hopefully future generations aren't as backwards as I am!

Advertisement