Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Antares35 wrote: »
    I'm not actually going to argue that point at all, about where the parents spend their money. I actually agree with you that the money is likely there but perhaps not assigned to where it should be. But, I suppose I just don't really care that much in the greater scheme of things, about teen girls getting a few freebie pads. It's so far down the list of things that would come between me and my sleep :D Perhaps they should be made available in schools?

They are in New Zealand: https://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/free-period-products-schools-combat-poverty
    “We know that nearly 95,000 9-to-18 year olds may stay at home during their periods due to not being able to afford period products. By making them freely available, we support these young people to continue learning at school,” Jacinda Ardern said.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Purple_Bear

Coldplay are terrible. Their music is derivative and a paragon of blandness. The only feeling it instills in me is ennui.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Coldplay are terrible. Their music is derivative and a paragon of blandness. The only feeling it instills in me is ennui.

Pretty sure that's a widely held popular opinion! I actually like them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I actually think Coldplay are very good. It's cool to say they are uncool though.

In fact, my unpopular opinion is that Coldplay have produced better music than The Beatles!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

no; they are not terrible; they're simply meh. they don't evoke any emotion, good nor bad, so 'terrible' is the wrong way to describe them.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Coldplay are fantastic live as well. Granted you’d have to like their music to be able to convince yourself to go to a gig but their concert in Croke Park is up there among the best I’ve ever been to. The production and light show with the wristbands was incredible to witness.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,393 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Faugheen wrote: »
    Coldplay are fantastic live as well. Granted you’d have to like their music to be able to convince yourself to go to a gig but their concert in Croke Park is up there among the best I’ve ever been to. The production and light show with the wristbands was incredible to witness.

Deadmau5 puts on a great lightshow also. The contact high I got from sitting in the balcony was just a plus, at this old timey music hall in Atlanta, good time, went two nights in a row.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

paw patrol wrote: »
    do their parents not provide them - surely with wages , social welfare and childrens allowance there is plenty of money to pay for the sanitary products.
    my parents never had to provide money to me to purchase loo roll to wipe my arse with when i was in school.
    given that a girl in school who needs a sanitary towel, has a far greater need than i would have had when i needed to wipe my arse, and given that (AFAIK) female sanitary products still are charged the full (aka 'luxury') VAT rate, i reckon that particular debate is going in the wrong direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

The suit should be front and centre in all men's wardrobes. Basically there's no reason to wear anything other than a suit outside your home unless you're training or playing sport, or in transit to such an occasion. Anyone can afford a suit these days too, they can be bought online and tailored etc. It's an outrageously chad and alpha move.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

It's not really an opinion, more a shortcoming of my own, but I can't take women football pundits seriously and I don't like listening to them or watching them. There's an Ireland game about to start and they have some woman on it I have no idea who she is.
    I know it's me being a dinosaur and it's wrong but I don't think my feelings on this will ever change, hopefully future generations aren't as backwards as I am!

I'm not sure that it adds anything substantively new to the experience, hearing the same tired old cliches and buzz phrases being delivered by someone who happens to be a woman with a monotonous accent instead of a man with a monotonous accent. What's that, love? The players are putting a shift in? They've parked the bus, have they? Squeaky bum time now. You couldn't write a script like this. Except some bloke did, fifty years ago and you're all still trotting it out, week after week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

no; they are not terrible; they're simply meh. they don't evoke any emotion, good nor bad, so 'terrible' is the wrong way to describe them.

Their early stuff was meh. After the first 2 albums they turned genuinely terrible.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Once you are into the high tax bracket, overtime is just a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

JimmyVik wrote:

This is very true

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

When you click on a sporting headline, eg "Trouble in the England camp."
    and then discover its about womens sport and you are just not interested.

I realize a few people might be interested in clicking on that but most wont be.
    They should mark the gender of the team or discipline clearly so people dont have to waste their time.
    Certain sports I am interested in reading about the womens event or team, but not others.
    Like Irelands Womens Hockey team, but not the mens hockey team.
    Just tell us which team the article is about in the headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

JimmyVik wrote:
    I realize a few people might be interested in clicking on that but most wont be. They should mark the gender of the team or discipline clearly so people dont have to waste their time. Certain sports I am interested in reading about the womens event or team, but not others. Like Irelands Womens Hockey team, but not the mens hockey team. Just tell us which team the article is about in the headline.

Wait till they start writing about the transgender teams!

JimmyVik wrote: »

I think that's a pretty popular opinion

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

nj27 wrote: »
    The suit should be front and centre in all men's wardrobes. Basically there's no reason to wear anything other than a suit outside your home unless you're training or playing sport, or in transit to such an occasion. Anyone can afford a suit these days too, they can be bought online and tailored etc. It's an outrageously chad and alpha move.

I would love a suit a proper tailored one. I have the cash too.
    But i'd never wear it so why buy one.

Weddings have dried up and socially I try to cling onto my youth - yes at 43 i still wear jeans and tshirt out.

JimmyVik wrote: »

Dunno if that is unpopular but I fully agree however i'd go further. Overtime is the ultimate waste of your life esp your youth.

unless you are skint anything more than occasional overtime (if there is a genuine need) is a waste of your life.

I pity people who slave away for the company (not theirs) showing their loyalty. I've one in particular who thinks it's virtuous - in his mid 40s too, he should know better - he is also a linkedin hero so guess it's all connected.

And at mid manager level - he isn't getting paid for his time.
    bUt It LoOkS gOoD aT bOnUs TiMe :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

If ever there was a reason not to wear suits more, there it is - the idea that people out there are using such lingo about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

osarusan wrote: »
    If ever there was a reason not to wear suits more, there it is - the idea that people out there are using such lingo about it.

There's a real whiff of fedora-wearing neckbeard off phrases like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A suit says you work for someone and need to impress them.

There's a real whiff of fedora-wearing neckbeard off phrases like that.

your counter is to use similar vacuous nonsensical internet slang yourself. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

paw patrol wrote: »
    your counter is to use similar vacuous nonsensical internet slang yourself. :pac:

Anyone that uses 'chad' deserves to be shot with balls of their own shíte. It's a term that comes from the incel community and those lads are usually fedora wearing neckbeards.

Only a beta would think wearing a suit is an Alpha move.

Us Alphas wear what we want, when we want.

This is complete nonsense

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

cnocbui wrote: »
    A suit says you work for someone and need to impress them.

Everyone works for someone. Self-employed work for their customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Why would I not just wear what I want, all the time? Who am I trying to impress here? My wife? She doesn't care!

Why would I not just wear what I want, all the time? Who am I trying to impress here? My wife? She doesn't care!

In the Red Pill world (see Alpha and Chad nonsense) if you don't dress sharply and keep your wife interested she'll cheat on you with someone she sees as a better mate.

It's complete bolloxology of course.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The irony being, it seems more acceptable in society for women to dress down more than men.

You'd never see a lad go to collect his dole in pyjamas bottoms. Or dive straight into said pyjamas bottoms at "wine o'clock" after a tough day minding chaps.

And god forbid if a man ever tried to change his new GF's dress sense and wardrobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Cordell

I see very little difference in going about in your pjs or tracksuit bottoms that were never worn on track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,353 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The irony being, it seems more acceptable in society for women to dress down more than men.

You'd never see a lad go to collect his dole in pyjamas bottoms. Or dive straight into said pyjamas bottoms at "wine o'clock" after a tough day minding chaps.

And god forbid if a man ever tried to change his new GF's dress sense and wardrobe.

DO you think the ones who get the dole in PJs are interested in wat their partners wear? I think they're different people to be honest.

A mate of mine was saying that he has opinions on what his Mrs. wears. If he doesn't like something he'll say so and she would change because she likes him to like what she's wearing. I thought that was strange and then i realised that I really don't have an opinion on fashion or clothes. I just trust my Mrs to be well turned out.

Advertisement