Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

DO you think the ones who get the dole in PJs are interested in wat their partners wear? I think they're different people to be honest.

A mate of mine was saying that he has opinions on what his Mrs. wears. If he doesn't like something he'll say so and she would change because she likes him to like what she's wearing. I thought that was strange and then i realised that I really don't have an opinion on fashion or clothes. I just trust my Mrs to be well turned out.

Mine always says "you are not coming out with me is THAT".
    So now i just ask what should I wear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Brian? wrote: »
    In the Red Pill world (see Alpha and Chad nonsense) if you don't dress sharply and keep your wife interested she'll cheat on you with someone she sees as a better mate.

It's complete bolloxology of course.

Its a maddening dichotomy , on one hand you have to wear a suit and make loads of money and keep yourself ripped in order to keep a woman interested, but the same people believe a wife will cheat with any random African man who pays her attention.

Theres no winning with that lot.

When I see a suit in a casual setting, I just assume it's the only decent clothes they own.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,596 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Strangely enough if I see a fella on a casual night out or casual setting dressed up in a suit and very shiney shoes.
    I generally think his mother dressed him or he’s a very tough type of fella who thinks a suit makes him look sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Strangely enough if I see a fella on a casual night out or casual setting dressed up in a suit and very shiney shoes.
    I generally think his mother dressed him or he’s a very tough type of fella who thinks a suit makes him look sharp.

A conor mcgregor wannabe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,596 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

A conor mcgregor wannabe.

Well it’s a mix.
    There’s the dodgy fella selling stuff and services from door to door.
    Then there’s the newer type of lad who’s inspired by Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,353 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Its a maddening dichotomy , on one hand you have to wear a suit and make loads of money and keep yourself ripped in order to keep a woman interested, but the same people believe a wife will cheat with any random African man who pays her attention.

Theres no winning with that lot.

Well, I always think the Red Pill brigade are always banging on about the rules of interaction and alpha vs beta because they don't have the personality to just be normal and relatively attractive to some women or people in general. There's a bang of autism off them (i get that lots of autistic people lead a relatively normal life and have normal relationships)

Having a pop at InCels isn't an unpopular opinion.
    I feel sorry for them and I've often wondered what society can do for them, and for ourselves to prevent them being destructive to themselves and others. I presume that in the olden days they could get an arranged marriage but that's much less common now. They have suggested that prostitution should be legal so these characters can at least get some physical intimacy. I certainly wouldn't object to that. Must be horribly isolating to live like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Carlin was over-rated. Many 'fans' are just trendies trying to like the right things.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Well, I always think the Red Pill brigade are always banging on about the rules of interaction and alpha vs beta because they don't have the personality to just be normal and relatively attractive to some women or people in general. There's a bang of autism off them (i get that lots of autistic people lead a relatively normal life and have normal relationships)

Having a pop at InCels isn't an unpopular opinion.
    I feel sorry for them and I've often wondered what society can do for them, and for ourselves to prevent them being destructive to themselves and others. I presume that in the olden days they could get an arranged marriage but that's much less common now. They have suggested that prostitution should be legal so these characters can at least get some physical intimacy. I certainly wouldn't object to that. Must be horribly isolating to live like that.

I don't feel sorry for them. Very few are actually involuntary celibate. They choose to believe this crap and it destroys any chance they have to form a romantic relationship.

If they went out into the world with a warm and open attitude they'd probably find women who liked them for who they are. Instead they blame society for rejecting them.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I don't feel sorry for them. Very few are actually involuntary celibate. They choose to believe this crap and it destroys any chance they have to form a romantic relationship.

If they went out into the world with a warm and open attitude they'd probably find women who liked them for who they are. Instead they blame society for rejecting them.

I can't imagine anyone who can form normal relationships in a relatively normal way and chooses to buy into incel stuff. If they could have friends in the real world, go for pints or play sports or watch the match together and connect with women, then why would they get into these horrible, toxic online communities and forego all that?

• Advertisement

This is it, sadly I do think the availability of internet content plays a role. They start out as teens miserably failing with women in school and then stumble upon this crap that blames women and chads etc.. for it and by the time theyre a bit older and hopefully a bit more mature and might have a chance at a meaningful relationship their negative attitudes towards women are projected for all to see, cyclically reinforcing the bullshít they ‘learned’ years earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Everyone works for someone. Self-employed work for their customers.

Many people who work for themselves are never seen by their customers.

Everyone works for someone. Self-employed work for their customers.

Many people who work for themselves are never seen by their customers. Some people work for themselves and are their customer.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Many people who work for themselves are never seen by their customers. Some people work for themselves and are their customer.

doesn't matter.
    if the money is flowing to you from someone else, in exchange, then that person is your boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Greyfox

When I see a suit in a casual setting, I just assume it's the only decent clothes they own.

When i see someone wearing a suit in a casual setting its clear the person wearing it is an ars*hole who loves the sound of his own voice.

if you return good/as-described, purchased in person, items more than 4 times in a calendar year, as a private individual, then you are a time wasting asshle.

I can't imagine anyone who can form normal relationships in a relatively normal way and chooses to buy into incel stuff. If they could have friends in the real world, go for pints or play sports or watch the match together and connect with women, then why would they get into these horrible, toxic online communities and forego all that?

The internet is a double edged sword. No matter how much of a weirdo you are, you'll find others who share your weirdness.

I assume it started with sad teenagers chatting, blaming women for not liking them and it grew into an echo chamber. The same way most things happen. People love affirmation, no need to change if you find other people the same as you and you bond in victimhood.

Throw in a healthy slice of gift from people selling lessons on being a pickup artist and you have a toxic soup.

they/them/theirs

85603 wrote: »
    doesn't matter.
    if the money is flowing to you from someone else, in exchange, then that person is your boss.

Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,393 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Can you illustrate a model example of this?

The internet is a double edged sword. No matter how much of a weirdo you are, you'll find others who share your weirdness.

I assume it started with sad teenagers chatting, blaming women for not liking them and it grew into an echo chamber. The same way most things happen. People love affirmation, no need to change if you find other people the same as you and you bond in victimhood.

Throw in a healthy slice of gift from people selling lessons on being a pickup artist and you have a toxic soup.

If, as you said, they're that weird to begin with, theh isn't that the issue? I presume they're all autistic (or at least all have the lack of understanding of social interactions that is common in autism).

I think it's not right to simply say it's their own fault as you imply above.

• Advertisement

If, as you said, they're that weird to begin with, theh isn't that the issue? I presume they're all autistic (or at least all have the lack of understanding of social interactions that is common in autism).

I think it's not right to simply say it's their own fault as you imply above.

Weird people grow up and a lot of the time meet other weird people and have weird kids.

They are definitely not all on the autistic spectrum. They are whiney babies who need a good talking to. I've spent enough time with people with ASD to know the difference.

If you check my posting history you'll see I'm normally very empathetic. But these gimps really get to me.

they/them/theirs

Overheal wrote: »
    Can you illustrate a model example of this?

My son. He works from his bedroom. He recently did a website for a maple syrup producer in Canada. He never saw them and they never saw him. Bill Gates works for himself investing his funds. He's answerable to no one, even though the money pours in from the investments, such as his brilliant move to snarf several hundred million worth of prime Irish debt at 6% interest, which your taxes are payng to him. Does that make you Bill Gate's boss? Didn't think so.

There are now a whole coterie of nomad workers who prior to Covid-19 would travel the world, staying in exotic locations, working from their laptops for people in other countries who probably never see them. Freeelance travel writers, for instance.

Gabe Newel is a multi billionaire. He co-owns Valve. None of his millions of customers ever see him when they are buying from him on Steam, nor do any of them get to tell him what to do or what to wear.

Then there are farmers. Eating a steak or drinking some milk doesn't get you to be telling a farmer how to run their business or what to wear.

My son. He works from his bedroom. He recently did a website for a maple syrup producer in Canada. He never saw them and they never saw him.

Yep, thats his boss then. The maple syrup producer.
    Bill Gates works for himself investing his funds. He's answerable to no one, even though the money pours in from the investments

And as such doesn't have a customer, and therefore no boss in this venture.
    There are now a whole coterie of nomad workers who prior to Covid-19 would travel the world, staying in exotic locations, working from their laptops for people in other countries who probably never see them.

And those people are their bosses. Don't do the work see what happens.
    Gabe Newel is a multi billionaire. He co-owns Valve. None of his millions of customers ever see him when they are buying from him on Steam, nor do any of them get to tell him what to do or what to wear.

But they do tell him to get the work done, by what date, if he wants to get a cheque.
    Then there are farmers. Eating a steak or drinking some milk doesn't get you to be telling a farmer how to run their business or what to wear.

The distributor tells them what to have done by when.

lol.

My son. He works from his bedroom. He recently did a website for a maple syrup producer in Canada. He never saw them and they never saw him.

So the producer is his client ie. his boss on the job/contract. That the client isn't micromanaging when he takes a pee break doesn't mean that relationship isn't there: they pay him money in exchange for a service with attached expectations.
    Bill Gates works for himself investing his funds. He's answerable to no one, even though the money pours in from the investments, such as his brilliant move to snarf several hundred million worth of prime Irish debt at 6% interest, which your taxes are payng to him. Does that make you Bill Gate's boss? Didn't think so.
    Yep that's a rare example of being your own boss, because you wield the investment capital. Shareholders are, in effect, their own bosses, despite the board deciding how to disburse dividends etc. and things being carried out by vote - so it's not totally 'your own boss,' but fairly close to that nirvana.

There are now a whole coterie of nomad workers who prior to Covid-19 would travel the world, staying in exotic locations, working from their laptops for people in other countries who probably never see them. Freeelance travel writers, for instance.

Freelance travel writers still need to write what a client is willing to buy. Certainly a ton of liberty in how they carry out the work though.

Yet, Valve can be bossed around by enough customers. It can also be bossed around by publishers. Their relationship in the industry at this point, while voluntary on their part, is in conjunction with other partners, those who produce games and those who buy them.

If your boss definition is so narrow as telling you what to wear, sure great, lots of people don't have that type of boss. That doesn't mean the self-employed are unaccountable to anyone, particularly to those they exchange money with. But I tell you what about that farmer, try being your own boss with Monsanto in the mix: https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=60688c01-6ea1-440f-bafb-e310025c2281

Weird people grow up and a lot of the time meet other weird people and have weird kids.

They are definitely not all on the autistic spectrum. They are whiney babies who need a good talking to. I've spent enough time with people with ASD to know the difference.

If you check my posting history you'll see I'm normally very empathetic. But these gimps really get to me.

The ones whose weirdness means they don't get social interactions are much less likely to find a partner.

If you know people with asd, then you'll know that there are some who are grand and others who just don't get social interactions. Imagine playing the dating game without naturally understanding social interactions, body language, facial expressions.

Calling then gimps is a pretty clear lack of empathy. I never made a choice to be able to get social interactions, and I can't imagine life the way these lads live. Not getting social interactions, not getting why people are taking the p1ss out of them, not getting why other people are able to make friends and form relationships and you call them gimps. You say you're fierce empathetic, I think you might be exaggerating.

The ones whose weirdness means they don't get social interactions are much less likely to find a partner.

If you know people with asd, then you'll know that there are some who are grand and others who just don't get social interactions. Imagine playing the dating game without naturally understanding social interactions, body language, facial expressions.

Calling then gimps is a pretty clear lack of empathy. I never made a choice to be able to get social interactions, and I can't imagine life the way these lads live. Not getting social interactions, not getting why people are taking the p1ss out of them, not getting why other people are able to make friends and form relationships and you call them gimps. You say you're fierce empathetic, I think you might be exaggerating.

I am completely empathetic to people who are socially awkward. I really think you’re misunderstanding me here.

The scorn I have is for people who frequent red pill, incel and pick up sire. Especially on reddit.

These people at not harmless socially awkward people. They are sinister misogynists who hate women for not liking them.

My in laws work with people with severe autism. I have managed 4 people on the spectrum in work over the last 5 years. I actually find great comfort being around people with autism. I love to converse with people on the spectrum because I find it very peaceful to talk to people with no filters or hidden agendas. The black and white nature of their views are easy to see. Unfortunately some of these people are involuntarily celibate, some are voluntarily celibate. But I don’t include them in my “gimp” description.

The incel movement is not about this. They’ve created their own little world where they are the victims. The have an entire language about Chads etc. That is entirely based in hating women.

I think you need to read more about this. There really is a toxic incel culture online.

Not all socially awkward people are included. You were the one who brought up autism by the way. I am convinced the vast majority of the toxic incels are not on the spectrum or I wouldn’t be so hard on them.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

paw patrol wrote: »
    Weddings have dried up and socially I try to cling onto my youth - yes at 43 i still wear jeans and tshirt out.

Wait, are we supposed to stop wearing jeans and tshirts at a certain age? I've just turned 38, am I still ok? I hope so, I pretty much don't own many other types of clothes!
    Cordell wrote: »
    I see very little difference in going about in your pjs or tracksuit bottoms that were never worn on track.

A: Tracksuits are made to be worn both outside and inside
    B: PJ's are for your house/bed

I don't usually wear tracksuits outside myself, they're comfortable but every single one of them looks pure shammy! But if i'm feeling particularly lazy and only popping up to the local shop, I'd consider it rather than change. But I'd never wear PJ's away from the home. It's just wrong imo.

Just the bolded part, but you can do all that but still not be successful if you don't tick the boxes. I know, as I've tried my very best when single and did eventually start looking for feedback from women who declined me when I thought there was a chance with. The feedback was basically along the lines of not looking like everyone else, not wearing labels, not the right shape, "cute" (ie: I don't want to insult you but I'm not interested), too short (5'6"), not into sport, etc, etc. Unfortunately, some people in that position (quite a few I'd imagine) end up on these sites and they get the attention they crave. Then you've more of them who are determined and keep trying, and you've people like me who just can't be bothered anymore so have accepted being single.

Unpopular opinion : any human being in this country may have 1 or maybe 2 incidents that mandate a personal injury / compensation claim, if you have more than that you’re definitely either just incredibly clumsy or are intentionally gaming the system, and having made 5+ claims in a lifetime almost certainly makes you a scam artist and the lowest of the low as that expense gets passed on to the rest of us in honest society.

Unpopular opinion : any human being in this country may have 1 or maybe 2 incidents that mandate a personal injury / compensation claim, if you have more than that you’re definitely either just incredibly clumsy or are intentionally gaming the system, and having made 5+ claims in a lifetime almost certainly makes you a scam artist and the lowest of the low as that expense gets passed on to the rest of us in honest society.

Throw the undesirables in the dungeon, too clumsy lolz.

In law there's something you can be labeled known as a vexatious litigant, which is more or less the black mark you are thinking about. People convicted of a crime of dishonesty are subject to having that brought up at any future proceeding.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    Throw the undesirables in the dungeon, too clumsy lolz.

In law there's something you can be labeled known as a vexatious litigant, which is more or less the black mark you are thinking about. People convicted of a crime of dishonesty are subject to having that brought up at any future proceeding.

That I did not know, for example would this such individual be considered such : https://www.thesun.ie/news/69983/compo-chase

Advertisement