Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,393 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That I did not know, for example would this such individual be considered such : https://www.thesun.ie/news/6998342/compo-chaser-damages-bid-bollard-keeneth-otoole/

No, if he won previous cases especially not, that's a point against being considered vexatious, he's brought court motions before that were upheld ie. suing for damages, there is no way then to say the cases were frivolous.

Not sure why this guy decided not to disclose all that in this case, though, definitely a great reason to drop your case like a stone before you get convicted of some crime of dishonesty, like perjuring yourself in your own compo lawsuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Overheal wrote: »
    No, if he won previous cases especially not, that's a point against being considered vexatious, he's brought court motions before that were upheld ie. suing for damages, there is no way then to say the cases were frivolous.

Not sure why this guy decided not to disclose all that in this case, though, definitely a great reason to drop your case like a stone before you get convicted of some crime of dishonesty, like perjuring yourself in your own compo lawsuit.

Ok, that was the only one that stuck out to me, so basically it would have to be somebody who was proven over and over again to have filed losing / false claims numerous times ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Ok, that was the only one that stuck out to me, so basically it would have to be somebody who was proven over and over again to have filed losing / false claims numerous times ?

You think someone should be punished if they keep winning cases? They should only win if they have a legitimate grievance.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 33,646 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We'll just leave it, no point arguing if you don't agree with my example that one person is 'better' than another.

Me and you obviously have different definitions of the word.

The whole 'just enjoy life and have fun!' craic is a very late capitalism mindset too..
    Although maybe it's more to do with how people have just been infantalised these last few decades and many are mentally teenagers these days..

Consider yourself lucky you never had to go to war..or starve..or just work all day for food..or froze to death..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,353 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Brian? wrote: »
    I am completely empathetic to people who are socially awkward. I really think you’re misunderstanding me here.

The scorn I have is for people who frequent red pill, incel and pick up sire. Especially on reddit.

These people at not harmless socially awkward people. They are sinister misogynists who hate women for not liking them.

My in laws work with people with severe autism. I have managed 4 people on the spectrum in work over the last 5 years. I actually find great comfort being around people with autism. I love to converse with people on the spectrum because I find it very peaceful to talk to people with no filters or hidden agendas. The black and white nature of their views are easy to see. Unfortunately some of these people are involuntarily celibate, some are voluntarily celibate. But I don’t include them in my “gimp” description.

The incel movement is not about this. They’ve created their own little world where they are the victims. The have an entire language about Chads etc. That is entirely based in hating women.

I think you need to read more about this. There really is a toxic incel culture online.

Not all socially awkward people are included. You were the one who brought up autism by the way. I am convinced the vast majority of the toxic incels are not on the spectrum or I wouldn’t be so hard on them.

You're being very selective there. Even splitting hairs about peopep who are involuntary celebrate and other people who are involuntary celebrate. I think they wouldn't join those groups I'd they could have normal relationships. Could you imagine joining a group like that if you could just have a normal relationship with friends and romantic partners? Basically you're saying you don't empathise with the ones you wouldn't like personally. I wouldn't like those blokes personally either, but that doesn't block me from sympathising with the loneliness and isolation they must feel.

Yeah of course those incel lads are probably autistic (or high in the autistic traits that mean they can't form normal friendships and romantic relationships).

I'd hate to be one of those people (whether the autistic people you know who can't form relationships and are sound or the ones who are also arseholes)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,353 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Just the bolded part, but you can do all that but still not be successful if you don't tick the boxes. I know, as I've tried my very best when single and did eventually start looking for feedback from women who declined me when I thought there was a chance with. The feedback was basically along the lines of not looking like everyone else, not wearing labels, not the right shape, "cute" (ie: I don't want to insult you but I'm not interested), too short (5'6"), not into sport, etc, etc. Unfortunately, some people in that position (quite a few I'd imagine) end up on these sites and they get the attention they crave. Then you've more of them who are determined and keep trying, and you've people like me who just can't be bothered anymore so have accepted being single.

Ah look, lads like that get girlfriends. The one ineffable quality they didn't mention was the spark, the chat, the body language that normal people do all the time and we don't notice because we're not thinking about it. Loads of people have a criteria for a partner but end up with someone completely different because they are simply attracted to them.

It's mostly about having the chat and the bit of Craic that someone likes. The PUA lads can try to teach it like it's a code or a magic formula, but it's just normal behaviour for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Unpopular opinion : any human being in this country may have 1 or maybe 2 incidents that mandate a personal injury / compensation claim,

But why? In what way is a bag of money (beyond covering medical costs and loss of earnings) going to make the injury better? I've had two incidents where I could easily have put a personal injury claim in. One of them would definitely have been legitimate. The other would've been no less legitimate than lots of other cases I've heard of. A handy 10 or 20k which would've been very useful at the time and people told me I was mad not to pursue it. But I was brought up to view 'compo' as a bad word, something greedy people pursue, something that'll never bring you an ounce of good luck. And I don't think I'm alone in that view.

You're being very selective there. Even splitting hairs about peopep who are involuntary celebrate and other people who are involuntary celebrate. I think they wouldn't join those groups I'd they could have normal relationships. Could you imagine joining a group like that if you could just have a normal relationship with friends and romantic partners? Basically you're saying you don't empathise with the ones you wouldn't like personally. I wouldn't like those blokes personally either, but that doesn't block me from sympathising with the loneliness and isolation they must feel.

Yeah of course those incel lads are probably autistic (or high in the autistic traits that mean they can't form normal friendships and romantic relationships).

I'd hate to be one of those people (whether the autistic people you know who can't form relationships and are sound or the ones who are also arseholes)

I’m not splitting hairs. I am talking about a very specific group of people who are misogynists.

Have you actually looked at some of this stuff? It’s abhorrent

I don’t know why keep bringing autism into it. These guys don’t have autism, they misogynists blaming women for their own problems.

they/them/theirs

This guy is a hero to the incels I’m talking about:

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43892189.amp

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

But why? In what way is a bag of money (beyond covering medical costs and loss of earnings) going to make the injury better? I've had two incidents where I could easily have put a personal injury claim in. One of them would definitely have been legitimate. The other would've been no less legitimate than lots of other cases I've heard of. A handy 10 or 20k which would've been very useful at the time and people told me I was mad not to pursue it. But I was brought up to view 'compo' as a bad word, something greedy people pursue, something that'll never bring you an ounce of good luck. And I don't think I'm alone in that view.

I think the insurance companies would be delighted to hear that some people are brought up to view compo as a bad word.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Screwthebeast

Faugheen wrote: »
    You really do feel like a victim of oppression, don’t you?

Absolutely none of these have any impact on you or your life but you’re so offended and put out by them.

Have a day off and stop thinking the world is out to get you.

The essence of it is based in discrimination.

One group is being given preferential treatment over another.

If the spaces were "whites only" they'd be uproar

How about just make all spaces a decent size and then everyone is treated with equity

The essence of it is based in discrimination.

One group is being given preferential treatment over another.

If the spaces were "whites only" they'd be uproar

How about just make all spaces a decent size and then everyone is treated with equity

Great news, you've done it. You've made the most ridiculous argument I've ever seen on boards.

Parent/infant spots are the same racial segregation! GENIUS

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I think the insurance companies would be delighted to hear that some people are brought up to view compo as a bad word.

There's definitely a balance, a litigious society makes all transactions expensive and risky, a certain degree of tolerance makes society more robust and innovative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭JackTC

Snow Patrol are a good band with a solid catalogue of songs.

…Do I win ?

JackTC wrote: »
    Snow Patrol are a good band with a solid catalogue of songs.

…Do I win ?

I broke out final straw again a few weeks ago..
    Quality..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

3rd abortion, tubes tied.

(victim of crime excepted, however an investigation must be initiated and a wasting police resources charge is a possibility)

85603 wrote: »
    3rd abortion, tubes tied.

(victim of crime excepted, however an investigation must be initiated and a wasting police resources charge is a possibility)

Oooooooooh..... This will be interesting.

Oooooooooh..... This will be interesting.

just piling up the sand bags now.

Micheal Sheen is not a good actor..

Michael_Sheen_GettyImages-1129470381.jpg?t=1597064655

Although I think a lot of the art of acting is being lost anyway, this guy is currently the one annoying me..
    Just seems two dimesional..

• Advertisement

Micheal Sheen is not a good actor..

Michael_Sheen_GettyImages-1129470381.jpg?t=1597064655

Although I think a lot of the art of acting is being lost anyway, this guy is currently the one annoying me..
    Just seems two dimesional..

Have you seen him "The Good Fight"? Really awful.

they/them/theirs

Have you seen him "The Good Fight"? Really awful.

No..thanks..I'll make sure to avoid it..

No..thanks..I'll make sure to avoid it..

I regret watching it.

they/them/theirs

Just typical edgelord nonsense from them

is it not reasonable?

if you step away from partisan politics for a second, we have more than one party in question here. if you're to be merciful and to reduce suffering to the minimum then some thought must be given to the one being aborted too.
    lifes unpredictability necessitates that ok abortion should be available, but it should also be dissuaded where possible if it causes suffering. to have multiple abortions is to disregard any suffering to the fetus, to completely nullify their rights. three times suggests that the action is not being taken seriously, that there is no regard.

im aware this doesnt always apply due to stages of development, so i concede there is a crucial flaw in this opinion. but consider the spirit of the opinion, that we shouldn't have a winner takes all approach just due to political fervor and political correctness.
    stop calling people edgelord long enough to consider if youre just having a knee-jerk reaction.

No mention of educating people on the proper use of contraception.

It's not the 1950s..Everyone knows how to use contraception now..

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

85603 wrote: »
    im guilty of not having considered something. this is the basis of your diagnosis, that i didn't mention something.

well, you haven't mentioned the plight of the Rohingya people. what kind of a tyrant must you be?

Like all extremists, you considered absolutely nothing other than the most extreme "solution". Tie her tubes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Like all extremists, you considered absolutely nothing other than the most extreme "solution". Tie her tubes!

What would be a less extreme one?

It's not the 1950s..Everyone knows how to use contraception now..

You’d be surprised

they/them/theirs

in context. yes its bad to do that to someone, but its also good to stop suffering endured by a fetus. in order to get to the stage of a solution being necessary, one must first have displayed a (probable) callous disregard or some kind of inability.

if you were truly interested in minimizing suffering you could see the rationality.

if you're going to say all abortion is all unquestionable at all times, make it your sacred statue, then you're going to facilitate a level of total disregard for the one being aborted. so that they, a human being, are seen as just a piece of inconvenient garbage by some.

• Advertisement

You’d be surprised

No, I wouldn't..but abortion law is partially reliant on that particular myth..

Advertisement