Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

zig wrote: »
    Ones that act out on their desires are destroying someone else life, catching them while they are at their most vulnerable and doing almost irreversible damage. Nowadays, given that the results of child abuse are so well known I think its as evil as cold blooded murder.

However on the contrary, I do believe there should be a space for people who are sexually attracted to children to talk about it and be open about it because I would have confidence that 99% of these people would never do a thing and instead suffering tremendously inside as they cannot share this secret with anyone.

Agree utterly on both points. The act does destroy young lives and the victims may never recover. The act is evil.

If those with, and I use the word knowing it can be ridiculed, the sickness, could talk about it and receive counselling they might be helped away from it. Promoting counselling? That's probably ironic and a seeming contradiction of myself when I've said theres too much chat about mental health, but I guess more accurately my concern is not on mental health as a whole, but focused more on the area of suicide and the risk of young people taking their lives in almost copycat fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

darlett wrote: »
    No. For they are simply not to be trusted to look after kids. Can you think of anyone else you wouldn't trust to look after kids, but who is not evil and bad? People who are clumsy, or forgetful, or drinkers, too dirty, too careless, too busy, or perhaps too stupid. Or just people you dont know very well. All of these are perhaps too evil and bad to babysit your kids.

A paedophile who knows their desires are messed up, and are even repulsed by their own thoughts and puts distance between themselves and temptation so they cant commit any act, or voluntarily takes chemical castration to prevent themselves acting out, is very different to a child groomer, or to someone who builds a childrens hospital wing and keeps the keys for it, acting on all their vile fantasies.

To bracket the former with the latter as evil and bad is just too convenient and lazy. I would question at what stage a 'thought' only paedophile becomes a paedophile. At a first isolated inappropriate thought shuddered away with shame and unpleasant regret? Are they immediately evil. Or are they a reformed Paedo then. How about at the second? A senior student at secondary school throwing their paedo eyes at the new first years?

You really are naive.The top part of your post i wouldnt trust them people of course.But at least they wont rape my kids.

Paedos,give me the statistics for your second post.

Re: Capital Punishment
    Well, I guess it is just your opinion, but just so you know statistically it doesnt reduce the severity or frequency of crime.
    I accept it might not reduce the crime rate. And I dont want to go the old eye for an eye, and nor do I want to risk miscarriages of justice.

But I think for some heinous crimes people deserve to die, and that their continued existence is a source if fear and an insult to say parents of a raped and murdered child. I'd argue taxes been used to support their longterm imprisonment are wasted, but then I guess executions are expensive too. It's not exactly hang em all, but I think that we should consider the option for the worst offenders, without feeling we are being barbaric or inhumane.

Re:NI
    Although I dont agree, I am open to it, why do you think this?

This is a reversal of long held opinions through my teens and 20s on probably preferring the ideal of a United Ireland.
    NI is a problem child and I would be concerned about the economics involved. I feel they are probably spoiled in terms of budget backing from the UK in a way we could not do for them as we have so many issues of our own it seems we can not afford to solve.
    I believe the societies have evolved differently since the state split and that it would be a clash of cultures. What we consider progressive, is not to their tastes. Worse perhaps I d be concerned that Dublin and other parts of the country would face attacks from protesting Unionists who want to leave the United Ireland.
    We would have to deal on a daily basis with people such as the DUP, and who has that much time :pac:

dubstarr wrote: »
    You really are naive.The top part of your post i wouldnt trust them people of course.But at least they wont rape my kids.

Paedos,give me the statistics for your second post.

Naive? It was yourself who equated a person being evil and bad with being someone whom you wouldn't let babysit your kid.

I'm unclear what stats I've referred to that you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Naive? It was yourself who equated a person being evil and bad with being someone whom you wouldn't let babysit your kid.

I'm unclear what stats I've referred to that you want?

You said they were not as bad as people make out.I just mentioned babysitting your kids.You also brought the drunks in,i didnt.

I agree people with those tendencies should be able to talk about it,especially if it stops them offending.Plus we only have their word they have never harmed kids.They will underplay their wants and what they actually did.

Just because they said they havent done" anything doesnt mean they havent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,334 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

JupiterKid wrote: »
    About 50 per cent of dog breeds have congenital health or behavioral issues due to inbreeding and should be bred out of existence.

For profit dog breeding should be shut down in this country until the pounds are emptied.

Actually, I watched a documentary a while back that said the most successful countries financially and socially today are those that are the right mix of "homogenity".
    What was this documentary called then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

No. For they are simply not to be trusted to look after kids. Can you think of anyone else you wouldn't trust to look after kids, but who is not evil and bad? People who are clumsy, or forgetful, or drinkers, too dirty, too careless, too busy, or perhaps too stupid. Or just people you dont know very well. All of these are perhaps too evil and bad to babysit your kids.

A paedophile who knows their desires are messed up, and are even repulsed by their own thoughts and puts distance between themselves and temptation so they cant commit any act, or voluntarily takes chemical castration to prevent themselves acting out, is very different to a child groomer, or to someone who builds a childrens hospital wing and keeps the keys for it, acting on all their vile fantasies.

To bracket the former with the latter as evil and bad is just too convenient and lazy. I would question at what stage a 'thought' only paedophile becomes a paedophile. At a first isolated inappropriate thought shuddered away with shame and unpleasant regret? Are they immediately evil. Or are they a reformed Paedo then. How about at the second? A senior student at secondary school throwing their paedo eyes at the new first years?

Sits back with popcorn to watch poster walking into his own personal Vietnam...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Re: Capital Punishment
    Well, I guess it is just your opinion, but just so you know statistically it doesnt reduce the severity or frequency of crime.
    I accept it might not reduce the crime rate. And I dont want to go the old eye for an eye, and nor do I want to risk miscarriages of justice.

But I think for some heinous crimes people deserve to die, and that their continued existence is a source if fear and an insult to say parents of a raped and murdered child. I'd argue taxes been used to support their longterm imprisonment are wasted, but then I guess executions are expensive too. It's not exactly hang em all, but I think that we should consider the option for the worst offenders, without feeling we are being barbaric or inhumane.

Re:NI
    Although I dont agree, I am open to it, why do you think this?

This is a reversal of long held opinions through my teens and 20s on probably preferring the ideal of a United Ireland.
    NI is a problem child and I would be concerned about the economics involved. I feel they are probably spoiled in terms of budget backing from the UK in a way we could not do for them as we have so many issues of our own it seems we can not afford to solve.
    I believe the societies have evolved differently since the state split and that it would be a clash of cultures. What we consider progressive, is not to their tastes. Worse perhaps I d be concerned that Dublin and other parts of the country would face attacks from protesting Unionists who want to leave the United Ireland.
    We would have to deal on a daily basis with people such as the DUP, and who has that much time :pac:

I'm in favour of a united Ireland, I believe that unionists would add much needed diversity of opinion, we have a huge tenancy towards group think in this country, protestants are better at individual thought

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I'm in favour of a united Ireland, I believe that unionists would add much needed diversity of opinion, we have a huge tenancy towards group think in this country, protestants are better at individual thought
    Oh ya The D.U.P. are great for that indvidual thought lark once its the same as the rest of them.

• Advertisement

Edgware wrote: »
    Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Oh ya The D.U.P. are great for that indvidual thought lark once its the same as the rest of them.

I don't remember singling out the DUP, unionists tend to be Conservative, this country is a cold house for conservatives

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

You choose your weight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Looks matter way more than people want to admit and it's a "sound" method of dating/making friends sometimes because of the halo effect. They're also not necessarily shallower. We find people attractive because evolutionarily they're more fit genetically. This leads to people getting more attention from people and people perceiving them as "better" than an average or ugly person.

Now it can lead to shallow nasty people but it can also lead to a person developing better social skills as people are more forgiving of their faults and constantly talk to them.The positive feedback means they'll spend a lot of time on grooming and even improving themselves academically/job wise as if they're in a group of attractive friends, they need to prove something.

Many of the nicest people when it came to my autism were attractive women. I've also met bitchy attractive women, nice ugly women, and bitchy ugly women.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

The best place in the world for electronic dance music is South Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

vriesmays wrote: »
    The best place in the world for electronic dance music is South Africa.

Any particular artists or songs that you'd recommend?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

There’s an awful lot of fake women ; From make-up , hair , nails , personality etc etc .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

What is actually unpopular about the last few opinions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Raconteuse wrote: »
    What is actually unpopular about the last few opinions?
    They were voiced by unpopular people.

Looks matter way more than people want to admit and it's a "sound" method of dating/making friends sometimes because of the halo effect. They're also not necessarily shallower. We find people attractive because evolutionarily they're more fit genetically. This leads to people getting more attention from people and people perceiving them as "better" than an average or ugly person.

Now it can lead to shallow nasty people but it can also lead to a person developing better social skills as people are more forgiving of their faults and constantly talk to them.The positive feedback means they'll spend a lot of time on grooming and even improving themselves academically/job wise as if they're in a group of attractive friends, they need to prove something.

Many of the nicest people when it came to my autism were attractive women. I've also met bitchy attractive women, nice ugly women, and bitchy ugly women.

The worst human being I've ever known was also incredibly ugly

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭stratowide

Vietnam..Done a north to south trip once.
    Unfriendliest people I've ever come across.

Constantly hassled to buy tat and wont take no for an answer.
    Charging you double/treble the price locals have to pay even when the price is displayed.
    Public buses an example.Having a hissy fit if you call them out on it.
    I get the yankee and French history but no thanks I wont return.

Cambodia..A little bit friendlier but the place is a sh!thole.Its filthy.
    Beautiful beaches and seas ruined with litter.
    Sihanoukville..a stinking cesspit.
    I can still see that toddler taking a sh!ite beside his parents street food stall.

Never again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Yeah the thought of travelling to south east Asia and that kind of humidity/overcrowding has never ever appealed to me.

My friends were in a rundown coach in Vietnam which got caught in flash floods on a crater filled road in the middle of nowhere and they had to wait a day for rescue, the possibility of drowning hanging over them. And serious dehydration.

Yay, fun memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

It's not unusual for me to pi55 in the sink. I don't feel bad about it and have no intention to curb it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

People who choose to live in the arsehole of nowhere, have no business whining about rural isolation and lack of services.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

People who make a life out of taking in stray dogs/cats, posting about 'rehoming' and constantly raising cash for dog/cat/horse shelters are just feeding the problem.

It's not unusual for me to pi55 in the sink. I don't feel bad about it and have no intention to curb it in.

Ye wouldnae be pishing in ma sink Franco..Nae fookin way ye c*nt ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

People who make a life out of taking in stray dogs/cats, posting about 'rehoming' and constantly raising cash for dog/cat/horse shelters are just feeding the problem.

Please explain this in more detail.
    It sounds like total horseshlte but I'm all ears.

Former UK citizen who says her mental health is really suffering in the predicament she finds herself at the moment.

A few years ago the same woman in the dock spoke rather casually about walking past bins with severed heads in them without feeling any bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

That rugby is a fad and the vast majority who follow it know absolutely **** all about it and just want to be seen as fans.

That any irish person who wears the poppy is a pathetic slavish lickspittle and should be deported.

That anyone who describes themselves as an influencer should be shot and their families interned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Please explain this in more detail.
    It sounds like total horseshlte but I'm all ears.

Doesn't just sound like.

• Advertisement

That rugby is a fad and the vast majority who follow it know absolutely **** all about it and just want to be seen as fans.

2 guys at work were waffling about rugby this,scrum that,breakdown the other and other such s***e..

Why do they call them loose head and tight heads sez I..?

Dunno was the answer.

Advertisement