Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Antares35 wrote: »
    What would be a less extreme one?

What would be less extreme than forcibly and irreversibly blocking or removing a woman's Fallopian tubes against her will? Pretty much everything, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,060 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

85603 wrote: »
    its not forced. you go for your 3rd abortion they say ok and that comes with sterilization. you say ok i dont want it so, they say fine. off you go.

Does it comes with fries as well?

Glazers Out!

its not forced. you go for your 3rd abortion they say ok and that comes with sterilization. you say ok i dont want it so, they say fine. off you go.

Off to where? To the knitting supplies shop, the off licence, a boiling hot bath? England?

°°°°°

England preferably. have a think as to why youre having multiple abortions while on the flight.

Hang on a minute.

You don't by any chance own an abortion clinic in England do you?

Glazers Out!

England preferably. have a think as to why youre having multiple abortions while on the flight.

So it's fine as long as it happens somewhere else then, just like the good old days.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

So it's fine as long as it happens somewhere else then, just like the good old days.

To take what the poster said and make it a more reasonable proposition...

If a woman is repeatedly using abortion as a form of emergency contraception, those who are interacting with her in that setting should be sitting her down and having a chat about contraception and or seeing if there's some underlying issues like abuse which are bringing her to their door so often. Maybe that's already a thing but if it isn't it should be.

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

nullzero wrote: »

If a woman is repeatedly using abortion as a form of emergency contraception, those who are interacting with her in that setting should be sitting her down and having a chat about contraception and or seeing if there's some underlying issues like abuse which are bringing her to their door so often. Maybe that's already a thing but if it isn't it should be.

It is a thing.

Plus most abortions are done by taking pills these days, not a surgical procedure AFAIK so people don’t actually need to rock up to a clinic for an abortion.

Honestly, I don’t think debating what that poster said is a worthwhile venture. It’s clear to get a reaction and not meant seriously.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

nullzero wrote: »

Don't think that poster is interested in reasonable propositions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

So as long as you don't call anyone names while doing so, you think it's reasonable to suggest carrying out surgical procedures on women against their will?

its not against their will.

go for your third one you get a complementary tube tie.

next unpopular opinion, probably not quite as controversial. remove a large percentage of social housing from the city center, sell/rent to private business and private developers, for the good of the state.
    the best locations should be a reward (or even an asset of the nation), not a freebie.

those in social housing with jobs in the city get preference to stay within the city, those with records dont. those with drug convictions really dont.

replacement housing could be offered in low population density towns/counties.

obviously this is only for housing the city owns.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A number of posts deleted

If you cannot be civil, do not post

And stick to the topic, which is not other users

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,596 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Sometimes the branded item is much better quality than the own/cheaper branded one no matter how much people raves about it.

Doing the helicopter is the male version of twerking.

Blacking up isnt so wrong or bad, and shouldnt be frowned on for the act itself. The default shouldnt be disapproval.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Blacking up isnt so wrong or bad, and shouldnt be frowned on

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 FHFM500

Blacking up isnt so wrong or bad, and shouldnt be frowned on for the act itself. The default shouldnt be disapproval.

Are you talking about Blackface, like in movies and tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Blackface isn’t nice.

But remember when Prince Harry dressed up in a Nazi uniform at a fancy dress. Why was there such an issue with that? He always looked well in a uniform

• Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Blackface isn’t nice.

But remember when Prince Harry dressed up in a Nazi uniform at a fancy dress. Why was there such an issue with that? He always looked well in a uniform

blackface when mocking black people is one thing, but banning people wearing black facepaint for other reasons eg the mightboosh and the league of gentlemen is silly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Cordell

Blackface is definitely not nice and maybe even stupid. But is should not be a career ending life ruining kind of stupid thing.

FHFM500 wrote: »
    Are you talking about Blackface, like in movies and tv?

Just like if you wanted to do it for the laugh, at halloweem or something. You should be able to just be like hey everyone heres what id look like if i was black, ... or white for that matter, if youre not white.
    You should be able to go to a work do as another race for the shts and giggles, and no-one should lose their mind.

Long as youre not being malicious, stereotyping, no harm bit of craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

Just like if you wanted to do it for the laugh, at halloweem or something. You should be able to just be like hey everyone heres what id look like if i was black, ... or white for that matter, if youre not white.
    You should be able to go to a work do as another race for the shts and giggles, and no-one should lose their mind.

How could you not be stereotyping? Would it be just blackface? No outfit or wig or association to a film or TV show?
    I wouldn't enjoy working abroad and having a co-worker wearing a red wig and putting on an accent or dressed as a Leprechaun pretending to be drunk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Shebean wrote: »
    How could you not be stereotyping? Would it be just blackface? No outfit or wig or association to a film or TV show?
    I wouldn't enjoy working abroad and having a co-worker wearing a red wig and putting on an accent or dressed as a Leprechaun pretending to be drunk.

It's baffling... Are you going to turn up in blackface or taping your eyes to look Asian but wearing your normal clothes?

But they're right, you should be able to turn up at a work do in blackface just so people can truly know how much of a fúckwit you are.

Just the same as when some lad cross dresses for a night out for the lols.

Your example goes into a different level when it involves a drunk stereotype and a leprechaun costume.

... you just change your skin tone, and yea if you think youd have curly hair youd wear a wig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

Your example goes into a different level when it involves a drunk stereotype and a leprechaun costume.

... you just change your skin tone, and yea if you think youd have curly hair youd wear a wig.

How would it not be stereotyping?

So if a white French lad wants to dress up as an Irish person, does he just carry on as normal?

Would someone in blackface just turn up dressed as usual with a blackened face? I can't see it.

How would it not be stereotyping?

So if a white French lad wants to dress up as an Irish person, does he just carry on as normal?

Would someone in blackface just turn up dressed as usual with a blackened face? I can't see it.

turn up in any clothing.

maybe you could turn up in a celebrity get-up, like a do-rag and topless or white t-shirt with baggy jeans if you want to be tupac.
    or a red and black lumberjack with the hat to match if you want to be biggy.
    or if you're more of a carlton turn up as carlton.
    or a red bow tie as brother mouzone from the wire.

you name it. endless options and the one (being blacked up) doesnt infer the other (coming as a celeb). you could just wear normal clothes.
    using the makeup itself is harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I seriously wish I understood why people are such ****ing sheep when it comes to “special” says such as Father’s or Mother’s Day. So you have to celebrate and thank your parent for having spawned you into this world?
    Particularly when you don’t even like your parent and always disliked spending time with them. But on THIS day you have to do it, because society and your ****ing siblings insist that it’s really important. The same people who will lay into you again, calling ME controlling without realising that they are doing the same thing and probably laid down the groundwork. Ah the irony..

Jequ0n wrote: »
    I seriously wish I understood why people are such ****ing sheep when it comes to “special” says such as Father’s or Mother’s Day. So you have to celebrate and thank your parent for having spawned you into this world?
    Particularly when you don’t even like your parent and always disliked spending time with them. But on THIS day you have to do it, because society and your ****ing siblings insist that it’s really important. The same people who will lay into you again, calling ME controlling without realising that they are doing the same thing and probably laid down the groundwork. Ah the irony..

If you don’t like your parents you most certainly don’t have to

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I thought we could identify as anything we like these days.
    What if you identify as black for the night of the party.

If you identify as black surely you should be allowed to black up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Dress up as a black cross-dressing leprechaun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

If you don’t like your parents you most certainly don’t have to

That would have been the logical conclusion but apparently not. Pathetic excuse to play happy family

• Advertisement

Jequ0n wrote: »
    That would have been the logical conclusion but apparently not. Pathetic excuse to play happy family

i sincerely doubt people send cards to people they hate

Advertisement