Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

people that see race in everything, are racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

85603 wrote: »
    Just like if you wanted to do it for the laugh, at halloweem or something. You should be able to just be like hey everyone heres what id look like if i was black, ... or white for that matter, if youre not white.
    You should be able to go to a work do as another race for the shts and giggles, and no-one should lose their mind.

Long as youre not being malicious, stereotyping, no harm bit of craic.

Agree with this, if I want to dress up as Serena Williams for Halloween, I should be able to.

Its not an insult, its a tribute to someone I admire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Jequ0n wrote: »
    Probably goes hand in hand with the many experts who are qualified to diagnose “mental illness”, which is even more worrying.

Comparing children to snakes is hardly the thought pattern of a psychologically sound person.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Hamachi wrote: »
    Comparing children to snakes is hardly the thought pattern of a psychologically sound person.

I wouldn’t know but reserve the right to pass judgment on someone based on one comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Jequ0n wrote: »
    I wouldn’t know but reserve the right to pass judgment on someone based on one comment.

We all pass judgement all the time. This site is replete with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Hamachi wrote: »
    We all pass judgement all the time. This site is replete with it.

Indeed. Personally I am not a big fan of diagnoses though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

gmail is sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Not sure if there’s a live band out there now that could outgun the Ramones live intensity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

VR gaming will lead to increased violence in the kids.

Yeah I said it. Proper Nancy Regan amnt I.

But it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

gmail is sh1te

if Gmail is " sh1te "

WTF is hotmail :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    if Gmail is " sh1te "

WTF is hotmail :eek:

you would have to prise my hotmail account from my cold dead hands. I've had it since before Microsoft bought the company.

Username definitely checks out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Cordell

But it will.

This kid shot up the school, it must be the VR.
    Can it be that the parents can't even spell psychologist but they had an AR15 and hundreds of rounds in the trunk of the truck?
    No, it's the VR.

I wonder how did those medieval folks got their inspiration to design such cruel torture devices with no access to videogames and satanic metal?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I have no interest in eating outside.
    No matter how much you try and sell it to me and I know it's popular in Europe.

I feel you. It’s either too hot or too cold. I’ll do it if it’s my only option.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

But it will.

I think you’ve mixed up VR and AR.

they/them/theirs

Cordell wrote: »
    This kid shot up the school, it must be the VR.
    Can it be that the parents can't even spell psychologist but they had an AR15 and hundreds of rounds in the trunk of the truck?
    No, it's the VR.

I wonder how did those medieval folks got their inspiration to design such cruel torture devices with no access to videogames and satanic metal?

thats exactly the flawed argument i was expecting.

both games. both use computers. therefore the same thing. therefore the same situation as with mortal kombat, just a load of hot air about nothing.

but no, its not the same. to use the arguments associated with 16 bit gaming as evidence for questions associated with vr, is much like using pro-marijuana arguments in defense of meth.

they're both drugs, but one is a whole lot more powerful.

its not unusual for a gaming session to last 3 hours or more. which is one thing when you're twiddling your thumbs on a controller with reality in the background and 3 inch low resolution men on the screen.

but if you consistently play 3 hours of something in a vr persepctive you'll lose some sense of reality. even if only briefly.
    its way more powerful and it will habituate some users to using their full body for shooting/killing.

move your thumbs to press left, x, triangle, doesnt associate with reality the same way as pick up pipe with hand and bludgeon the figure an arms length away does.

one is directly translatable/transferable into reality the other isnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

But it will.

It won't, anymore than the world descended into a violent hell because of comics, drugs, Hollywood or video games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

gmail is sh1te

I would have argued against this until a couple of months ago but my new job uses gmail and when using it this frequently, yes, it's absolute shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

both games. both use computers. therefore the same thing. therefore the same situation as with mortal kombat, just a load of hot air about nothing.

but no, its not the same. to use the arguments associated with 16 bit gaming as evidence for questions associated with vr, is much like using pro-marijuana arguments in defense of meth.

its not unusual for a gaming session to last 3 hours or more. which is one thing when you're twiddling your thumbs on a controller with reality in the background and 3 inch low resolution men on the screen.

but if you consistently play 3 hours of something in a vr persepctive you'll lose some sense of reality. even if only briefly.
    its way more powerful and it will habituate some users to using their full body for shooting/killing.

move your thumbs to press left, x, triangle, doesnt associate with reality the same way as pick up pipe with hand and bludgeon the figure an arms length away does.

This sounds a lot like an updated version of the argument that video games are more likely to cause violence than films or TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Cordell

You won't see kids shooting people because of VR just like you didn't see italian plumbers munching raw mushrooms and then banging their head on bricks to reveal the coins inside.
    Although there are people popping pills while listening to crap repetitive electronic music, so I'll give you this.

• Advertisement

This sounds a lot like an updated version of the argument that video games are more likely to cause violence than films or TV.

It might sound like that to some people because theres the shared element of games.

If you look at the thing (vr) for what it is free of that previous context it may appear different

That's because it is. The latest thing is the one that will drive the kids mad. 'twas ever thus.

That's because it is. The latest thing is the one that will drive the kids mad. 'twas ever thus.

so nothing which is new and appealing to kids can be questioned, because of criticism of rock and roll and the sega megadrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,353 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

This is it. The thing that my generation does is grand, but the thing the new generation does is all wrong. Rewind a generation and you'll find the old people saying the exact same things.

so nothing which is new and appealing to kids can be questioned, because of criticism of rock and roll and the sega megadrive.

question away but don't pretend you are doing anything different than the previous people who made similar predictions and were proved very wrong.

question away but don't pretend you are doing anything different than the previous people who made similar predictions and were proved very wrong.

yep they were proved wrong, just about those particular things.

1000 flying machines were proved wrong. and their wrongness didnt in any way alter the facts associated with the airplane.

vr, and the violence in its associated games, will become more and more realistic.
    and users will become more desensitized, and primed, to acts of violence from a first person viewpoint.

the fact that someone said similar about 3 inch two dimensional cartoon characters shooting fireballs, on an old tube tv, doesn't change this.

militaries will use vr training very keenly, and performance will increase, and delay and resistance will decrease. muscle memory will form, and the subconscious will become habituated.

civilian games will have similar affects. two/three hours an evening smashing people up in a first person view will make it very easy and comfortable to perform in real life.
    some cnt complaining about mortal kombat in 1996 doesnt change this in either direction.

this isnt a criticism or a call for a ban. buy 2 for each room, zero shytes.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,596 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Brian? wrote: »
    I feel you. It’s either too hot or too cold. I’ll do it if it’s my only option.

I don’t like the flies, bees, etc either!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,393 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'm seeing a lot (tons) of counterprogramming in my social media feed about critical race theory but no real salient arguments against it stick out to me - they are usually drowned out by more loud and esoteric signals like "They're teaching kids to hate Murica!" and, they're trying to pass all these bans in a hurry to stop schools from teaching that... racism is a thing that exists, I guess? Both sides of the issue through all the hay seem to be aligned that they don't want to teach kids how to be racist little sh* heads, and the moderates all agree that these horrific truths need to be taught through a historical lens. Progressives are strongly against any sort of ban that restricts a teachers freedom of speech in the classroom (ha! on this issue - LGBTQ+), and I think free speech in the classroom is an issue many can relate to whether you want to debate evolution or creationism or reproductive rights, sex education, or even how civics and in this case, history are taught.

For that reason I side with the teachers and I think recent pol would say the same, like the teacher who was just reinstated after saying heck no he wouldn't be saying boys can be girls etc.; for the same reason I was expecting a very high standard of sound argument from the crowd warring against teaching CRT. I've looked around a good bit, I thought at least, but I haven't found one. DAE have strong views against CRT?

Overheal wrote: »
    I'm seeing a lot (tons) of counterprogramming in my social media feed about critical race theory but no real salient arguments against it stick out to me - they are usually drowned out by more loud and esoteric signals like "They're teaching kids to hate Murica!" and, they're trying to pass all these bans in a hurry to stop schools from teaching that... racism is a thing that exists, I guess? Both sides of the issue through all the hay seem to be aligned that they don't want to teach kids how to be racist little sh* heads, and the moderates all agree that these horrific truths need to be taught through a historical lens. Progressives are strongly against any sort of ban that restricts a teachers freedom of speech in the classroom (ha! on this issue - LGBTQ+), and I think free speech in the classroom is an issue many can relate to whether you want to debate evolution or creationism or reproductive rights, sex education, or even how civics and in this case, history are taught.

For that reason I side with the teachers and I think recent pol would say the same, like the teacher who was just reinstated after saying heck no he wouldn't be saying boys can be girls etc.; for the same reason I was expecting a very high standard of sound argument from the crowd warring against teaching CRT. I've looked around a good bit, I thought at least, but I haven't found one. DAE have strong views against CRT?

My guess is most people who object to teaching CRT have no idea what it actually is. You can’t form a sound argument against teaching history with a focus on how minorities were treated, that’s just history.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Screwthebeast

Brian? wrote: »
    Great news, you've done it. You've made the most ridiculous argument I've ever seen on boards.

Parent/infant spots are the same racial segregation! GENIUS

I contrasted a free choice with not a free choice

The idea was to highlight the sense of entitlement of people expecting preferential treatment because of a free choice they have made.

The parents should demonstrate maturity and teach their able bodied children how to navigate life, not that life will be adapted for them.

People choose to be parents

You don't choose your skin colour

Advertisement