Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Bicycles and cyclists should be banned from most of the important roads, and from narrow roads. The sheer amount of pollution they cause when lines of traffic build up behind them, operating at lower (fuel inefficient) speeds and the acceleration/deceleration has an overall detrimental effect on the environment. This is even worse when they cycle two-abreast - yes it is legal, but it causes more environmental damage by causing huge lines of traffic to build up.

LOL. If only that were an unpopular opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

I think that suicide should be allowed for non terminal illness. Who is to say that a mental illness is less debilitating as a physical one?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

I think that suicide should be allowed for non terminal illness. Who is to say that a mental illness is less debilitating as a physical one?

But mental illness is not terminal? It can be successfully treated ..... but it's their life and their decision. This is one that I can't make up my mind on.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

I don't believe abortion is the answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

touts wrote: »
    I believe full state benefits should only be paid to those who have worked a minimum of 5 years in the state.

Even with that all state benefits (unemployment, pension, child benefit) should be paid in vouchers that can only be redeemed against certain items (not bouncy castles, booze, fags, fake tan etc)

People in receipt of free housing should live where the state gives them the free house and not have a choice in that. Any damage they do to the house is taken from their welfare. Once they get a job they start to pay rent to the state at the average rent in the locality.

Voting should be limited to active citizens who have either paid tax or taken part in voluntary work for at least 5 years.

People should pay for water and sewage.

Property tax should be based on the services in your locality and not the value of your home.

There is nothing wrong with a two tier health service. Anyone who pays the tax that funds the health service should have priority access on waiting lists or for private rooms etc.

There should be a three strike and you are out rule in the criminal justice sector. On your third or subsequent conviction you lose all rights to bail, reduced sentences, early release etc. You serve the maximum sentence set down in law and not a day less.

Life means life.
    Ah jeez not vouchers for people on disability or illness benefit or jobseeker's or old age pension ffs. Would you still be advocating it if you were one of them?

Otherwise nothing unpopular there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

People shouldn't have to press a button to get 'permission' to cross a road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Greyfox

True but the Irish way anyway is just to leggit across once there's a gap in traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Abba987 wrote: »

To which question?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Feel free to step into oncoming traffic. Sure what could possibly go wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Portsalon wrote: »

Yawn. Bye. Your messages have gone blank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

But mental illness is not terminal? It can be successfully treated ..... but it's their life and their decision. This is one that I can't make up my mind on.

Naïve to think all mental illnesses can be treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Naïve to think all mental illnesses can be treated.

can be alleviated, hence yes they can. They cannot be cured in many cases, but eased.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I'm OK with it provided it's before the baby is conscious of what is happening

After that, don't care if it's a rape or incest case, give up for adoption.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The Beatles aren't anywhere near as good as they are lauded.

In fact, lyrically they are very basic. How many of their hits have the same words occurring over and over again?

Queen are far better and pioneering. Heck, I would go as far to say that both Oasis and Coldplay have released catchier songs than the Fab Four. Don't Look Back in Anger as an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

In fact, lyrically they are very basic. How many of their hits have the same words occurring over and over again?

Queen are far better and pioneering. Heck, I would go as far to say that both Oasis and Coldplay have released catchier songs than the Fab Four. Don't Look Back in Anger as an example.

Oasis are basically a very poor Beatles tribute act.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I agree with that and can confirm this is indeed a very unpopular opinion to have. Just yesterday my husband and I had a heated argument because I'd rather sit through an Elton John gig than listening to a full Beatles album.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Queen are the most overrated band ever

unpopular opinion: nobodys opinion about music has ever been worth expressing

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Barry's and Lyons are both absolute muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Feel free to step into oncoming traffic. Sure what could possibly go wrong?

Why, if only there was an alternative that gave priority to people over vehicles. Stripey thing on the road, like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

I know I will probably be lynched for this but here it goes.

I don't think parents that have a severly disabled child, and by that I mean a child that needs 24 hour care, should go on to have more children. Not because I think they will have more disabled children but because I think it takes away from the time they should be spending with a) the disabled child and b) the younger sibling. Does that make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Got to be the most shocking post in the history of boards :eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Barry's yes, but as for Lyons? Let's not say things we can't take back... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Pringles are not crisps.
    They are a reformed powdered potato snack.
    And they're sh1te.
    Pure sh1te

But Hula Hoops are that too. And Hula Hoops are magnificent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

You can wear them on your fingers, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

In the grand scheme of things the Russian interference in the American elections are insignificant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hula Hoops are not crisps, either.
    I do, however, agree that they are a damn fine potato snack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭jcorr

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Barry's yes, but as for Lyons? Let's not say things we can't take back... :mad:

I find those cheap Tesco tea bags give the best tea out of the lot of em. God I'm so cheap. Haha

What's going to happen after Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Kids with ADHD and other such conditions seem to come in higher percentages from families from lower socio-economic backgrounds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Most of oasis music is very tame cringeworthy lyrically but because of their reputation as hard drinking rock stars, it makes them cool. In America, Oasis are received how they ought to be

Advertisement