Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

That everyone in direct provision should be on a tag until their claims have been assessed.

That the government should sieze all the church's empty buildings and turn them into state run dp centres, instead of giving contracts to private companies.

All council tenants in debt should be evicted as soon as they go 3 months in arrears. They should be then housed in dp centres with their dole withheld (only allowing them the same as what a nursing home patient gets) until the debt is cleared.

The homeless should then be given the empty houses

Midster wrote: »
    You are missing the point completely, all women, and when I mean all, I really do mean every single one of you, have these doors open to you if you choose to use them.

What options does the man have? What security? A man has to go through these times, and be stripped of everything familiar, legally forced out of the place he called home, not allowed to see his children until the woman he once adored tells him it’s ok, but in the meantime to keep paying money.
    To live in an unhomely place, hurt and mourning everything he has lost.
    And then have to be up beat and ok with it in front of her, to tell her it’s ok to do that.
    Because if he’s not, if he’s upset or angry at all he can then be arrested and perhaps put in jail, he might not go to jail, but he could easily be bared from seeing his children all together.

So he has to be ok.

If you do not see here how simply one sided the law is slanted in WOMENS favour in this situation, you are an id**t!!!

1) We cannot say anything to a woman that she might find, or it might be beneficial for her to find as sexist.
    2) We cannot say anything to a woman that she might find, or it might be beneficial for her to find as intimidating.
    3) We cannot touch a woman in a way that she might find, or it might find it beneficial for her to find as sexual.
    4) We cannot touch a woman in a way that she might find, or it might find it beneficial for her to find as intimidating.
    5) As it stands right now in a divorce situation, EVERYTHING is legally slanted against And away from the mens favour and towards the womens.

In actual fact, life is

As a woman I fully agree with you. I have seen it over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

That everyone in direct provision should be on a tag until their claims have been assessed.

That the government should sieze all the church's empty buildings and turn them into state run dp centres, instead of giving contracts to private companies.

All council tenants in debt should be evicted as soon as they go 3 months in arrears. They should be then housed in dp centres with their dole withheld (only allowing them the same as what a nursing home patient gets) until the debt is cleared.

The homeless should then be given the empty houses

Errrr....what hapoens when the homeless go 3months in arrears?

Re boojum - it is sh1te, pablo picante and verde are much better

retalivity wrote: »

Remove and put them in the DP centres.

Have you actually seen the arrears figures for DCC. Probably similar across the country.

There is a huge difference between can't pay and won't pay.

Those who can't tend to set up payment plans and try and work through it. Won't payers refuse too.

The duty of care the council have to house those in need interferes with evictions.

At least in DP type accommodation they have a roof over their heads and maybe just maybe will teach them a lesson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

As a woman I fully agree with you. I have seen it over and over again.
    Might win you some brownie points from the lads - and some of it is of course true - but some is pure scutter.

"We cannot say anything to a woman that she might find, or it might be beneficial for her to find as sexist.
    2) We cannot say anything to a woman that she might find, or it might be beneficial for her to find as intimidating.
    3) We cannot touch a woman in a way that she might find, or it might find it beneficial for her to find as sexual.
    4) We cannot touch a woman in a way that she might find, or it might find it beneficial for her to find as intimidating."

"We cannot say sexist intimidating things or touch a woman when she doesn't want to be touched - boo hoo poor us!" Come on now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,932 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Might win you some brownie points from the lads - and some of it is of course true - but some is pure scutter.

Having read the post which was being quoted, I think you’re being far too kind. All of it was pure scutter. This thread is supposed to be for unpopular opinions, and the idea of men being treated unfairly in law is a fairly popular opinion among a small minority of people. Their opinions are based upon their own perception of unfairness, and very little to do with actually understanding how the law is being applied fairly regardless of their sex.

The adverse effects that the poster claims as a result of being a man, are more the result of behaving like an ass, and again nothing to do with being a man. The poster simply appears to willingly or maliciously want to play the victim, the very thing they’re basically accusing women of doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SporadicMan

Immigration into our country since 2000 has been far too high and had far too high of an 'unskilled' concentration, and we'll suffer the consequences of that in the near future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Immigration into our country since 2000 has been far too high and had far too high of an 'unskilled' concentration, and we'll suffer the consequences of that in the near future.

I highly doubt that is an unpopular decision

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SporadicMan

I highly doubt that is an unpopular decision

In Ireland? It absolutely is unpopular.

Our immigration rates continue on with no protest / change to policy. The only mainstream argument against is comes from the likes of Gemma O'Doherty and her 10 friends.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

In Ireland? It absolutely is unpopular.

Our immigration rates continue on with no protest / change to policy. The only mainstream argument against is comes from the likes of Gemma O'Doherty and her 10 friends.

The problem is most who believe what you say, which I include myself, are people disillusioned with the politics in this country and most likely think think its pointless speaking out for fear of being labelled racist by the snowflakes who dominate everything.

I never understood why people getting offended is such a bad thing.People get offended every day and nothing is done, but speak out about immigration and the effect it is having in a negative way on our own country and some SJW is on social media condemning you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

"We cannot say anything to a woman that she might find, or it might be beneficial for her to find as sexist.
    4) We cannot touch a woman in a way that she might find, or it might find it beneficial for her to find as intimidating."

"We cannot say sexist intimidating things or touch a woman when she doesn't want to be touched - boo hoo poor us!" Come on now.

Women hating women for not siding with women. Such petty and juvenile behavior

Shur I said precisely zero about hating her.

I see guys saying "white knight" here all the time to other guys btw.

And I agree with the first part of Midster's post - it's true. Just not the nonsense in those points 1 to 4. As I said, "We cannot say sexist intimidating things or touch a woman when she doesn't want to be touched - boo hoo poor us!" Crikey!

Wall to wall sports on across almost all radio on Sunday is so boring. How many times do matches have to ruminated over?

I love sport but the saturation coverage is too much and has the effect of turning me off from watching it. That which is seldom is wonderful. Some of the people discussing it on the radio are such sanctimonious dry shytes they suck all the joy out of it at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

retalivity wrote: »

Remove and put them in the DP centres.

Have you actually seen the arrears figures for DCC. Probably similar across the country.

There is a huge difference between can't pay and won't pay.

Those who can't tend to set up payment plans and try and work through it. Won't payers refuse too.

The duty of care the council have to house those in need interferes with evictions.

At least in DP type accommodation they have a roof over their heads and maybe just maybe will teach them a lesson
    Perhaps it would be a good idea for the council to take rent directly from people's wages to solve the arrears problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Raconteuse wrote:
    And I agree with the first part of Midster's post - it's true. Just not the nonsense in those points 1 to 4. As I said, "We cannot say sexist intimidating things or touch a woman when she doesn't want to be touched - boo hoo poor us!" Crikey!

That is a gross misrepresentation of what was said and you know it.

Ironicname wrote: »
    That is a gross misrepresentation of what was said and you know it.
    No it isn't. It's what he said.

"I was following orders" is a legitimate defence imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Raconteuse wrote:
    No it isn't. It's what he said.

No it isn't. It's what you chose to project onto a very different statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

A very straightforward way to bring business out of Dublin and spread it around the country is to split the corporate tax rate within the country. Dublin area goes up 1 percent, the other cities stay the same and the places in the extreme areas drop a percent.
    If it worked to bring them here, it can work to spread them out

• Registered Users Posts: 40,462 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

"I was following orders" is a legitimate defence imo.

Only if the order is legitimate.

• Advertisement

The phrase "snouts in the trough" and the people who use it and others of that ilk need to eff off and die already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

The phrase "snouts in the trough" and the people who use it and others of that ilk need to eff off and die already.
    I have never heard that. What does it even mean?

People use it in terms of politicians and, less often, civil servants "gorging themselves on taxpayers' money". It's one of those cringeworthy sayings that make me think less of those who use it.

Click here for examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I hate ballet and absolutely detest Opera . In fact opera singing actually stresses me out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I hate ballet and absolutely detest Opera . In fact opera singing actually stresses me out

I feel even more strongly against Jazz.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I really respect opera singers. Unlike main stream pop artists, they can't mime their way through a performance and have to hone their art over years and they really are the best of the best. However, I'm like you and just don't like it. You couldn't pay me to go to the opera.

I don't know if this is unpopular or not but I agree with the curfew on buskers using amplifiers in shop street Galway and would go so far as to support a blanket ban. Some of them are great and some are not and play way too loud. I feel sorry for shop workers who have to endure it and it can be a pain in the hole when you are sitting outside enjoying a pint or coffee and someone is murdering music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭con___manx1

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I feel even more strongly against Jazz.

Fell the same about rap don't mind a bit of jazz. The jazz festival is Cork is good craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭wfdrun

That's my point. There was a time where this shouldn't have been a question but now they all seem to want to be doctors or managers, and why is it that anytime we try and have a discussion about health service in this country all it takes is someone to say "but the doctors and nurses are working very hard and doing a great job" and it's end of conversation. We cannot be so naive to think that the health service is so bad because of "bad management" without accepting that front line workers also have to take some of the responsibility.

we are living longer. Boomers are not taking the personal and companion care of their parents and passing this to HSE.

consultants given their alpha personalities frequently more interested in their investments. their knowledge surpasses that of investment committees, goodbodys, bcp. nurses follow where consultants lead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,347 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Fell the same about rap don't mind a bit of jazz. The jazz festival is Cork is good craic.

Rap has got violent and misogynistic lyrics, never hear any of those songs being called into question, but sure go ahead and ban Baby It's Cold Outside.

Advertisement