Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Barry's yes, but as for Lyons? Let's not say things we can't take back... :mad:

Lyons is absolute ****e, since the change.

Barry's is grand.

I say this as a former Lyons man.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Bringing a child into the world into poverty or where there is regular drug or alcohol abuse is a form of child abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

NIMAN wrote: »
    Kids with ADHD and other such conditions seem to come in higher percentages from families from lower socio-economic backgrounds?

Maybe because parents with adhd are more likely to have children with adhd.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

BDI wrote: »
    Maybe because parents with adhd are more likely to have children with adhd.

But should that be?

I have had people argue that kids are born with ADHD.

So you think its a learned condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

NIMAN wrote: »
    Kids with ADHD and other such conditions seem to come in higher percentages from families from lower socio-economic backgrounds?

It's being over diagnosed. Kids have energy, need to be outside and engaged in something interesting. School is certainly not as interesting as learning outside or running around

• Advertisement

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    It's being over diagnosed. Kids have energy, need to be outside and engaged in something interesting. School is certainly not as interesting as learning outside or running around
    Lifestyle and diet is a big factor also the amount of adult human interaction as compared to being left with other kids or a television.

Lifestyle and diet is a big factor also the amount of adult human interaction as compared to being left with other kids or a television.

Of course, but the school environment of sit down, shut up and listen to me is certainly not helpful

Of course, but the school environment of sit down, shut up and listen to me is certainly not helpful
    I can't say. I liked school. But i was prepared for it.

I can't say. I liked school. But i was prepared for it.

It was ok for me for the most part. But generally I spent the vast amount of my time outside of school, outdoors(camping, nature watching etc).

But have a few memories of former classmates who were literally liked caged animals in class and today would probably be told they had ADHD, and medicated heavily ....1 of which is a moderately successful artist(shows in small London Galleries).

Everyone is different, but we have only 1 approach to educate children, and the kids who don't trive in that setting are starting to get medicated with pharmaceutical speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Hula Hoops are not crisps, either.
    I do, however, agree that they are a damn fine potato snack.

So it’s not reformed potato snacks per se that you have a problem with? Because I agree, Pringles are manky. Hula Hoops however are delicioso.

• Advertisement

It was ok for me for the most part. But generally I spent the vast amount of my time outside of school, outdoors(camping, nature watching etc).

But have a few memories of former classmates who were literally liked caged animals in class and today would probably be told they had ADHD, and medicated heavily ....1 of which is a moderately successful artist(shows in small London Galleries).

Everyone is different, but we have only 1 approach to educate children, and the kids who don't trive in that setting are starting to get medicated with pharmaceutical speed
    Well yes Irish education is very streamlined until you get to third level i suppose.

There are lots of ways to teach maths that might be more interactive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭daveorourke77

Toffie pops are better than Jammie Dodgers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

We're not biologically designed to sleep for 8 hours straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

To put my last post in context:

In biphasic or segmented sleep patterns you sleep in two segments within any 24 hours, either waking naturally around this time before going back to sleep again for another few hours or sleeping a few hours or napping during the day.

Throughout most of human history that is the way most human beings naturally slept. It's only since the industrialised age with the demands of bosses expecting set working hours, and artificial lighting that the majority of us have become monophasic.

Biphasic sleeping has health advantages as it keeps us more within our own circadian rhythms, and the waking time between first and second sleep can be very productive.
    I do it for months on end, during the winter in particular. Best sleep I ever get and I like the two fingered salute it gives to the dictates of modern life. I also find myself being very creative at times during the two hours or so from 1 or 2 to 3am before second sleep. More so than during the day.

https://www.sciencealert.com/humans-used-to-sleep-in-two-shifts-maybe-we-should-again

In pre-industrial Europe..."During this waking period, people would relax, ponder their dreams, or have sex. Some would engage in activities like sewing, chopping wood, or reading, relying on the light of the moon or oil lamps."

In medieval England people would also say Matins or visit their neighbours during this time between first and second sleep.

I like to read or knit mostly, or if my fiancee is here... ;)
    Don't think my neighbours would be too happy about me knocking on their doors at 2am for a chat. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Heard this one today - Amazon rain forest didn't catch fire and its all a big hoax or exaggerated - the reasoning was all images in the media are either close ups of trees or forest burning, pictures from other forest fires and there's no Arial views of the fire only digital ones used in weather reports.

Permabear earlier today: "Coldplay are derivative compared to innovative Beatles".

*Convenient deletion after no thanks/recognition.*

Nobody subscribes to patronising point of view, poster looks to recover dignity by straining towards carefully selected argument that reinforces subjective bias. A transparent reach for credibility, shallow "facts" foundering on contact with reality.

Future shock: Insistence on removal of presence from boards after being persistently humiliated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

what unpopular opinions do you hold on boards and in real life?

Most of my opinions are extremely unpopular on boards. My views are very conservative and extremely rigid because I know I am right. I would urge you all to repent your sins and do penance. By the way, I am absolutely hopeless at penance.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

Cyclists that do not cycle on cycle lanes when they are provided right beside them should be shot.

I got stuck behind 2 cyclists the other day that held me up for a good few minutes, there was a bloody brand new 2 lane cycle path right beside them, but they wanted to cycle on the road in front of me instead. When I beeped at them I got the finger and when I gave out when eventually overtaking them one of them decided it would be a good idea to punch my back window. Lets finish the story at this point!!!

But yeah, shoot them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Cyclists that do not cycle on cycle lanes when they are provided right beside them should be shot.

I got stuck behind 2 cyclists the other day that held me up for a good few minutes, there was a bloody brand new 2 lane cycle path right beside them, but they wanted to cycle on the road in front of me instead. When I beeped at them I got the finger and when I gave out when eventually overtaking them one of them decided it would be a good idea to punch my back window. Lets finish the story at this point!!!

But yeah, shoot them.

I think it should be law if a cycle lane is there that cyclist must use it . There is a great new cycle lane near us and yet some cyclist insist on being on the road
    And before I am told about uneven surfaces it is new and clean and even

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

But yeah, shoot them.
    That's actually a popular opinion - and rightly so.

My less popular opinion is that cyclists on non urban roads have the right to use the roads like everyone else, and slowing down cars has to be accepted as they can't go any faster. Still can't bear them though. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

But yeah, shoot them.

Last week I was sauntering along the footpath to work and this cyclist came right up behind me on the footpath furiously ringing his bell. Basically the little cnut expected me to move out of the way.

I ignored him and he kept ringing his little bell. I turned and said: 'This is a footpath not a cycle path.'

He had no answer and was shocked. Little **** had no helmet on either...:mad:

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I think it should be law if a cycle lane is there that cyclist must use it . There is a great new cycle lane near us and yet some cyclist insist on being on the road

Exactly the same as the one near me. I actually go for runs on it all the time because its much softer than the concrete and no cyclists use it anyway.
    Its brand new and in better condition than the road is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If people wish death to cyclists so much, why do they give a fiddlers whether they wear helmets or not?

Raconteuse wrote: »
    That's actually a popular opinion - and rightly so.

My less popular opinion is that cyclists on non urban roads have the right to use the roads like everyone else, and slowing down cars has to be accepted as they can't go any faster. Still can't bear them though. :p

I am glad that I am not the only person that wants to shoot them. Haha.

Yes if you are on a back road somewhere you have no choice but to hold people up, I used to live in the country and had to cycle in the way of cars and then drive behind cyclists. So I understand there nothing either can do. But its still frustrating.

Last week I was sauntering along the footpath to work and this cyclist came right up behind me on the footpath furiously ringing his bell. Basically the little cnut expected me to move out of the way.

I ignored him and he kept ringing his little bell. I turned and said: 'This is a footpath not a cycle path.'

He had no answer and was shocked. Little **** had no helmet on either...:mad:

I see this happening in Dublin City Centre all the time where cyclists are too afraid to cycle on the roads because they are so busy. Still no excuse though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If people wish death to cyclists so much, why do they give a fiddlers whether they wear helmets or not?

Helmets add texture to road kill

I know I don't care anyway. It's a personal choice for the cyclist.

However if I do accidentally hit one and they fall off the bike, I would be bloody praying they have a helmet on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

When I'm driving and have to stop at a red light, I prefer any cyclists going my way, check for oncoming traffic and break the lights.
    When the lights go green, I then don't have to deal with wobbly cyclists just getting going in front of me.
    So, in many circumstances, I have no problem with cyclists breaking lights when there is nothing coming.

I also don't mind the odd cyclist on a footpath provided they are cognisant pedestrians and give complete right of way and aren't flying around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Permabear earlier today: "Coldplay are derivative compared to innovative Beatles".

*Convenient deletion after no thanks/recognition.*

Nobody subscribes to patronising point of view, poster looks to recover dignity by straining towards carefully selected argument that reinforces subjective bias. A transparent reach for credibility, shallow "facts" foundering on contact with reality.

Future shock: Insistence on removal of presence from boards after being persistently humiliated.
    Permabear is the guy everyone was slagging off before, right? And here you are, piling on in a pathetic plea for approval. Wow.

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Cycle lanes are dangerous in most places in my experience. Full of debris and parked cars

Advertisement