Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I see this happening in Dublin City Centre all the time where cyclists are too afraid to cycle on the roads because they are so busy. Still no excuse though.

Where I was walking was a quite area. The road is one way and there was no traffic at all. So it was not like it was a busy city road with cars etc flying past. The footpath was also empty.

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Permabear is the guy everyone was slagging off before, right? And here you are, piling on in a pathetic plea for approval. Wow.

I wouldn't flatter yourself, you're hardly in a position to adopt the high moral ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Woke Hogan? More like Joke Hogan!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Cyclists that do not cycle on cycle lanes when they are provided right beside them should be shot.

I got stuck behind 2 cyclists the other day that held me up for a good few minutes, there was a bloody brand new 2 lane cycle path right beside them, but they wanted to cycle on the road in front of me instead. When I beeped at them I got the finger and when I gave out when eventually overtaking them one of them decided it would be a good idea to punch my back window. Lets finish the story at this point!!!

But yeah, shoot them.

In an ideal world, lanes would be fully used. But spend a few hours trying to cycle in cycle lanes. You’ll see why people are reluctant to stick to them. People park in them, some drivers veer into them or ignore them completely and often they are poorly maintained (potholes etc.). Also, they often end abruptly only to appear again just as abruptly and so on. So you just end up thinking “What’s the point?”.
    iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I think it should be law if a cycle lane is there that cyclist must use it . There is a great new cycle lane near us and yet some cyclist insist on being on the road
    And before I am told about uneven surfaces it is new and clean and even

Is it free of obstacles at all times?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

In an ideal world, lanes would be fully used. But spend a few hours trying to cycle in cycle lanes. You’ll see why people are reluctant to stick to them. People park in them, some drivers veer into them or ignore them completely and often they are poorly maintained (potholes etc.). Also, they often end abruptly only to appear again just as abruptly and so on. So you just end up thinking “What’s the point?”.

Is it free of obstacles at all times?

Yes . It is actually .My husband uses it and says it clear and even and its a long stretch of cycle path . Yet time and time again we see cyclist on the road beside it

• Advertisement

When I'm driving and have to stop at a red light, I prefer any cyclists going my way, check for oncoming traffic and break the lights.
    When the lights go green, I then don't have to deal with wobbly cyclists just getting going in front of me.
    So, in many circumstances, I have no problem with cyclists breaking lights when there is nothing coming.

I also don't mind the odd cyclist on a footpath provided they are cognisant pedestrians and give complete right of way and aren't flying around.

See, this is all sensible. I always stopped at lights. But when I did so, if I was turning left and there were no pedestrians, I’d go through the red light. I can’t see why anyone would have a problem with this. There was no speed involved. And I agree about paths. If the path is clear and the cyclist isn’t speeding and makes way for pedestrians, it should be fine.

And whilst cyclists can kill, motorists just need to understand that those driving a motorised vehicle just have to be held to a much higher standard because they are operating a heavy machine that is far, far more likely to kill somebody than the person on the pushbike. The rules are enforced on them more frequently and seriously because of that.
    Yes . It is actually .

Is there a barrier between the road and the cycle path? That’s the only way you could know for sure.

See, this is all sensible. I always stopped at lights. But when I did so, if I was turning left and there were no pedestrians, I’d go through the red light. I can’t see why anyone would have a problem with this. There was no speed involved. And I agree about paths. If the path is clear and the cyclist isn’t speeding and makes way for pedestrians, it should be fine.

And whilst cyclists can kill, motorists just need to understand that those driving a motorised vehicle just have to be held to a much higher standard because they are operating a heavy machine that is far, far more likely to kill somebody than the person on the pushbike. The rules are enforced on them more frequently and seriously because of
    Is there a barrier between the road and the cycle path? That’s the only way you could know for sure.

Know what for sure ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

If people are angry about silly things like cyclists and all sorts of silly stuff that don’t affect them they are the problem.

There should be a government agency that goes to miserable peoples houses and makes sure they spend a week or two sleeping the required times, eating healthy foods and exercising.

They would be so much happier and normal people wouldn’t have to deal with them. I would happily take a percentage raise in taxes to pay for this agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

The death penalty should be reinstated for cases of mass murder or infanticide or serial rape/child abuse where the perpetrator was in full control of their faculties.

Serial minor offenders should not be jailed instead they should be railroaded through the education system.

BDI wrote: »
    If people are angry about silly things like cyclists and all sorts of silly stuff that don’t affect them they are the problem.

There should be a government agency that goes to miserable peoples houses and makes sure they spend a week or two sleeping the required times, eating healthy foods and exercising.

They would be so much happier and normal people wouldn’t have to deal with them. I would happily take a percentage raise in taxes to pay for this agency.
    Cyclist on the road affect drivers on the road .

• Advertisement

Know what for sure ?

That it remains obstacle free. You know, the question I asked you a few posts back? If the cycle lane is contiguous with the road, there can be problems. Cars driving on the cycle lane, cars parking in it etc. It’s not all to do with the surface being even.

That it remains obstacle free. You know, the question I asked you a few posts back? If the cycle lane is contiguous with the road, there can be problems. Cars driving on the cycle lane, cars parking in it etc. It’s not all to do with the surface being even.

Why so tetchy ? I didn’t know what you meant . The cycle lane is one a wide path with a kerb . Yes it’s obstacle free , my husband uses that cycle lane daily with a child in a seat behind him and says its a pleasure to use . He sees other cyclists on the road without even bothering to use the cycle lane

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

A.) Cycle lanes aren't mandatory
    B.) Giving out about people using them isn't an unpopular opinion

Why so tetchy ? I didn’t know what you meant . The cycle lane is one a wide path with a kerb . Yes it’s obstacle free , my husband uses that cycle lane daily with a child in a seat behind him and says its a pleasure to use . He sees other cyclists on the road without even bothering to use the cycle lane

The people avoiding them are probably wary of them after many bad experiences. Because if you’re a cyclist, you will have had bad experiences with cycle lanes. If the lane has a kerb, they should be using it for sure and hopefully more and more will.

As the poster after you said though, they’re not required to use the lane. A requirement for cyclists to use cycle lanes will probably only come in effect when there’s a contiguous network of lanes. And that will probably never happen. My own experience of cycle lanes was having to weave in and out of them constantly for various reasons. I very much wanted to use them but it wasn’t easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Ok here goes.....

...I don't think Dolores O'Riordan was a good singer...her Limerick accent coming through her voice made it like nails down a blackboard for me...as a matter of fact whenever the cranberries came on the radio i'd change stations instantly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I think that suicide should be allowed for non terminal illness. Who is to say that a mental illness is less debilitating as a physical one?
    All the doctors in the world. If you have a terminal physical illness, then unfortunately your time is up. The most common mental illness that makes people commit suicide is depression. Unfortunately there is still a stigma around it and people suffer in silence, while they go deeper into the dark side. I'm not saying that everyone can be "cured" but it can be treated and there are plenty of people who were once suicidal and made attempts, who are quite happy that they failed. The problem in this country is that mental illness isn't taken as seriously as physical illness. People proactively attend their GP, only to be told their is a long waiting list to see a counsellor. I don't know what the answer is but offering them euthanasia certainly isn't it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    All the doctors in the world. If you have a terminal physical illness, then unfortunately your time is up. The most common mental illness that makes people commit suicide is depression. Unfortunately there is still a stigma around it and people suffer in silence, while they go deeper into the dark side. I'm not saying that everyone can be "cured" but it can be treated and there are plenty of people who were once suicidal and made attempts, who are quite happy that they failed. The problem in this country is that mental illness isn't taken as seriously as physical illness. People proactively attend their GP, only to be told their is a long waiting list to see a counsellor. I don't know what the answer is but offering them euthanasia certainly isn't it.

In what way is there a stigma?

I do definitely think that our homeless issue has to do a lot with mental health as much as a housing crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 33,646 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I do definitely think that our homeless issue has to do a lot with mental health as much as a housing crisis

You'd think that we wouldn't have a near 50% refusal rate of house offers then, wouldn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Guinness is over-rated.
    It's a alright to drink, but it doesn't live up to the hype.
    Peoples insistence on drinking it gives Diageo more power than they should have.
    Guinness charge a fortune for the kegs here and then it's sold as the cheapest drink in the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

Guinness is over-rated.
    It's a alright to drink, but it doesn't live up to the hype.
    Peoples insistence on drinking it gives Diageo more power than they should have.
    Guinness charge a fortune for the kegs here and then it's sold as the cheapest drink in the pub.

I agree, I love Carling but unfortunately haven't found a pub here that sells it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I wouldn't really be into to this paternal leave thing.

Go home for 6 weeks with a screaming weeinn.

When my son was born I worked day and night in the private family business to pay for him

I certainly wasn't getting up every 3hrs at night to feed him though.

H is mother did that, she doesn't work, just bleeds coin out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

I wouldn't really be into to this paternal leave thing.

Go home for 6 weeks with a screaming weeinn.

When my son was born I worked day and night in the private family business to pay for him

I certainly wasn't getting up every 3hrs at night to feed him though.

H is mother did that, she doesn't work, just bleeds coin out of me.

What a charmer. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭daveorourke77

If people wish death to cyclists so much, why do they give a fiddlers whether they wear helmets or not?

Even if they wear a helmet, they won't survive. The trick is to reverse over them after you've knocked them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭daveorourke77

fryup wrote: »
    Ok here goes.....

...I don't think Dolores O'Riordan was a good singer...her Limerick accent coming through her voice made it like nails down a blackboard for me...as a matter of fact whenever the cranberries came on the radio i'd change stations instantly

I feel the same way about Van Morrisson. He has a big Graeme McDowell on him.

fryup wrote: »
    Ok here goes.....

Yup. I hated her voice. And didn’t really like the band’s music in general. Some people react to that like it’s a cardinal sin. Just because they were a successful Irish band doesn’t mean everyone is going to like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

What a charmer. :pac:
    You'd want to see what I live with.

Woman hasn't worked in nearly 8 yrs, refuses to get a job.

It's very difficult to operate a single income household these days.

I'm breaking my bollox off working in a family business that's going down. While she swans around town with her friends for coffee, spending my money and neglecting our son.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,316 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Social Welfare of all forms should only be given to people who really need it.

Parents who have 10 kids and looking to bleed every last cent out should be given food tokens they can use but not use it to buy fancy things.

I'm breaking my bollox off working in a family business that's going down. While she swans around town with her friends for coffee, spending my money and neglecting our son.

Woah , get a good nights sleep lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

She shouldn't be throwing money away of course but when you say neglecting your son, who is minding him when she meets her friends for coffee?

And would it not cost a fortune in childcare anyway if she did get a job? I don't see an issue with the mother not working (for a few years anyway) but not to be taking the piss with the father's money obviously.

• Advertisement

So is it an unpopular opinion that if a kept woman spends 3 euro on a coffee once a week she is neglecting her son?

Advertisement