Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Get off the footpath so.

?????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

As much mocking the kerry accent, cork accent geordie accent, welsh accent get....none of which bother me, the worst of them all is the scouse accent.

to me it is the most irritating accent on earth, even worse than the aussie one

Those Midday and Loose Women birds are full of it and hypocritical to boot.
    One day it's sh1talkin about the "patriarchy" etc and giving out about females being judged on their appearance.
    Another day they're spoutin' on about some "premeer" or somesuch and it's "did you see the state of your one?" when they didn't think much of the actress' attire on the red carpet... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭rodDaly69

Vehement BLM supporters are approximately as self righteous and deluded in their ways as vehement trumpy lovers, but thankfully the minority in greater society.

I think we seriously over estimate the people gravitating hard to one way or the other. It's just that's all we hear. Also due to fear, people are more likely to lean left in their public image to not be attacked by the virtuous PC brigade.

I like to think that most people are mostly good most of the time. And if we all spoke a bit more freely, we'd come somewhere in the center. But no, people feel pressured to align themselves one way or the other. Also, people seem to be less likely these days of conceeding a point after debate. More access to communication and information hasn't opened us it feels. We go with our guy, seek out what suits it, and enjoy sitting smug that we are right and the other side is wrong and that's that.

That was some rant. But anyways

Exactly, its not a case of one or the other, or left or right.

you can be black and be a trump supporter, you could be right wing and despise trump.

Its not a case of black and white ( excuse the pun).

Not every trump supporter is a racist, you can be a democrat and be racist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

you can be black and be a trump supporter, you could be right wing and despise trump.

The left are very clear on this point when it comes to people like Biden and Klobuchar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Celelia

Most people on boards talk complete and utter shyte. They're either trying to be controversial to some real or imagined rival or they're up some well known posters arse. Thankfully theres less of the latter nowadays since there's barely any well known posters anymore.

This is probably popular tbf but not popular on here but alot of what is said on boards.ie is no reflection of reality or the real world or real world views.

There's 'gossip' threads (I can give examples) and American drivel threads especially at the height of boards where that was all the content.

Go out. See Dublin , cork, Kilkenny, wherever...Ireland and the majority of people don't spend their evenings talking about some of the shyte people talk about on here. I mean at one stage on here it was the highlight of some people's night to discuss 'rape culture'in Ireland every ****ing night of the week and wkend. Go out into real life folks...people aren't discussing that on their nights out. Fair enough it might need to be addressed but on a Friday night, Saturday night? Like you're on boards healing the world, making it a better place? No you're doing **** all but nursing your own ego spending hours on a Saturday night publicly talking and making up issues. Good luck with that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,979 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Celelia wrote: »
    Most people on boards talk complete and utter shyte. They're either trying to be controversial to some real or imagined rival or they're up some well known posters arse. Thankfully theres less of the latter nowadays since there's barely any well known posters anymore.
    This is probably popular tbf but not popular on here but alot of what is said on boards.ie is no reflection of reality or the real world or real world views.

There's 'gossip' threads (I can give examples) and American drivel threads especially at the height of boards where that was all the content.

Go out. See Dublin , cork, Kilkenny, wherever...Ireland and the majority of people don't spend their evenings talking about some of the shyte people talk about on here. I mean at one stage on here it was the highlight of some people's night to discuss 'rape culture'in Ireland every ****ing night of the week and wkend. Go out into real life folks...people aren't discussing that on their nights out. Fair enough it might need to be addressed but on a Friday night, Saturday night? Like you're on boards healing the world, making it a better place? No you're doing **** all but nursing your own ego spending hours on a Saturday night publicly talking and making up issues. Good luck with that :)

`You seem to have an awful lot of bitter views about Boards, and the history of Boards for someone that is here less than a week :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

I think that's only a unpopular opinion around these parts. It's the prevailing opinion most other places, especially the one this thread idea was borrowed from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

All of these are possible but for the most part very unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

KiKi III wrote: »

What is unlikely?

Not everyone fits into little left/right boxes, especially not in this country where most are centrist.

KiKi III wrote: »

Possible ?

There is people who are neither right or left.
    There are black trump supporters
    and I have no doubt the democrat party is completely free of racists.

Why you think everyone must be one or the other puzzles me

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Lads most of us, at least, arent in America. If you want to discuss American politics head to CA and/or the Politics forum.

Good thread for the most part but serious discussion around imported American politics dont really belong in AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Agreed.
    But Boards will sadly always be like that tho. Same goes for the other forum websites out there.

It's all bollocks anyways. Alot of the time these sites are nothing more than ars*holes trying to win an unimportant internet argument. While hiding behind words like "discussion" and "debate" - yeah right :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

This post reminds me of a swimming lifeguard seriously telling me that blacks can't swim as well as white people, because they have more muscle mass. :eek:

There was also a view prevalent in the 1970's in England that black soccer players were flaky, untrustworthy and would not like the cold weather.
    How many Black people have won Swimming Gold Medals ?

Black people are very good at sport ( obviously not all and plenty aren’t ) generally. How come they don’t do as well at swimming. Off the top of my head I can’t recall too many top level cyclists either ! !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

blinding wrote: »

Black people are very good at sport ( obviously not all and plenty aren’t ) generally. How come they don’t do as well at swimming. Off the top of my head I can’t recall too many top level cyclists either ! !

The same as a lot of these things where people point out <insert group here> are ‘underrepresented’, as though it’s an issue the rest of us are obligated to address. Some people refuse to acknowledge that the interest just isn’t there -

Why don't black Americans swim?

That reality doesn’t tally with the ‘oppression’ narrative that is so often the refrain of people who just can’t be arsed to challenge themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think most travellers are sound.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I think most travellers are sound.
    How’s your hearing ?

It kind of obvious it costs more money and is expensive to get into and most people from disadvantaged backgrounds cannot afford it. More black people than whites or other races are disadvantaged.

In Ireland moving away from race. There is a reason why you do not see working class Dublin people in yacht clubs.
    Golf is another one it will rarely be played those from disadvantaged areas. Too expensive to join a golf club and buy the clubs and so on.

The only time you will see someone from a disadvantaged area around a golf course is selling golf balls. (is this an unpopular opinion?)

It is not because they are not any good at it is because they don't get the chance. Too expensive. So the working class play soccer/boxing much cheaper.

• Advertisement

The special Olympics is condescending to disabled people. Because the attitude is 'look at them there' sure aren't they great?

Code for this is 'inspirational' as in these clips.

Also you are supposed to pretend this is great to watch.

Quazzie wrote: »
    `You seem to have an awful lot of bitter views about Boards, and the history of Boards for someone that is here less than a week :confused:

Quazzie, I hate to remind you but it's a public forum.

And God I'm bored of seeing that shyte of 'oh new user, only here a week' any time a new poster shares any kind of opinion about the site. At least try to contribute something original rather than regurgitating the same ol bile.

Thanks.

I think new users with less than 100 posts are great and refreshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭cms88

Quazzie, I hate to remind you but it's a public forum.

And God I'm bored of seeing that shyte of 'oh new user, only here a week' any time a new poster shares any kind of opinion about the site. At least try to contribute something original rather than regurgitating the same ol bile.

Thanks.

That's something that annoys me about all sites like this. If someone says something they don't agree with it's shot down baced on post count etc

cms88 wrote: »
    That's something that annoys me about all sites like this. If someone says something they don't agree with it's shot down baced on post count etc

If anything you'll get more honesty from a new poster because they're not attached to an image of themselves. Imagine having 100,000 posts your views, thoughts all bundled together nicely in a neat little file.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Before we make any further accusations (thinly veiled or otherwise) perhaps we should return to the topic of the thread.

As always, if you have an issue with a poster or post, please report it.

Some people refuse to acknowledge that the interest just isn’t there -

Why don't black Americans swim?

That reality doesn’t tally with the ‘oppression’ narrative that is so often the refrain of people who just can’t be arsed to challenge themselves.

I am confused though. The link you offer suggests strongly it _is_ because of oppression and not at all because the interest is not there? Which seems to be the exact opposite of what you are saying?

The link explains how Blacks were "systematically denied access to" pools and when finally facilities were built for them they were substandard and too small to actually swim in.

A lot of people only watch the Special Olympics for the comedy value. A physical or verbal gaffe they can laugh at.
    They won't admit it though. It's the only reason I tune in personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Swimming ,like Tennis and golf (yes the faces of both sports were black people but very few came up after) requires a fair bit of money ie coaches etc ..

Cycling ...again money, not exactly the best paid sport even with endorsements considering (it’s pretty ****E ) the physical and soul crushing nature of the sport AND despite the fact that riders can perform before up to a MILLION people on the road side (TDF) or even 200,to 300,000 at a Spring classic ,who don’t pay anything to watch it

We see the Eastern Africans dominate endurance running so, cycling wouldn’t be too hard for them . While you can get sponsor deals, high end bikes can cost north of e 8,000, the. There’s training g coaches etc

Sure, sprinters require money for coaching etc ,but they can get scholarships for colleges

What a ghastly site , a wurking class person on a golf course or tennis club. They ruddy well better be the help .ra ra ra lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

A lot of people only watch the Special Olympics for the comedy value. A physical or verbal gaffe they can laugh at.
    They won't admit it though. It's the only reason I tune in personally.

See the South Park episode for that. Eric Cartman pretended to be a spas so he could enter a competition

Wasn’t there a Spanish National basketball team who got their title stripped because it turned out non of them were disabled, retards etc. Think Johnny Knockville did a movie about it too

Advertisement