Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Celelia

Nerds are annoying af.

The word Nerd use to be an insult but through TV, media etc it became cool to be a nerd.

It's now very popular be a self proclaimed nerd which is basically saying 'im cool, intelligent, into good things and feel sorry for me too.' It's the perfect humble brag. Most of these are not real Nerds.

Real Needs are even more annoying than self proclaimed ones. Sometimes you can have a real Nerd who is also a Self Proclaimed Nerd and these are around number 5 on my worst lowlifes list.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

As much mocking the kerry accent, cork accent geordie accent, welsh accent get....none of which bother me, the worst of them all is the scouse accent.

to me it is the most irritating accent on earth, even worse than the aussie one

Cork accent on a woman with all the local slang is quite funny, especially from a confident and intelligent girl (a rarity ,I know lol ) when she’s ripping the piss outta people

Yep, Scouse accent is horrid..would say Glasgow too but one needs a translator to deal with them so leave them out. Manchester accent is horrid too. Spot on about the Aussie accent . Good awful whinge ,especially from many of their Chippy sports people who aren’t the most gracious of losers . Least many Geordies are warm decent sods ,even if a little thick. Manchuanians are thick ignorant ****ers (half of them of very strong Irish stock too ,lol )

Those Midday and Loose Women birds are full of it and hypocritical to boot.
    One day it's sh1talkin about the "patriarchy" etc and giving out about females being judged on their appearance.
    Another day they're spoutin' on about some "premeer" or somesuch and it's "did you see the state of your one?" when they didn't think much of the actress' attire on the red carpet... :rolleyes:

But that’s women for ya lol. And they claim that they can do things better than men.... ha ha ha hardy har har .

Perish the thought

Sure look at those particular women. ALWAYS in the press with some mental breakdown, menopause ,depression ,man trouble (despite saying that they don’t need no man lol )

• Registered Users Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I am confused though. The link you offer suggests strongly it _is_ because of oppression and not at all because the interest is not there? Which seems to be the exact opposite of what you are saying?

The link explains how Blacks were "systematically denied access to" pools and when finally facilities were built for them they were substandard and too small to actually swim in.

The link also explains -

- Unlike the UK, where learning to swim is enshrined in the national curriculum except in Scotland, the ultimate responsibility in the US often lies with parents.

- Some might assume the fundamental reasons would be lack of money for swimming lessons or living in areas where there were no pools, but the reality is more complex.

"Fear of drowning or fear of injury was really the major variable," says Prof Carol Irwin, a sociologist from the University of Memphis, who led the study for USA Swimming.

Typically, those children who could not swim also had parents who could not swim.

"Parents who don't know how to swim are very likely to pass on not knowing how to swim to their children," says Ms Anderson.

- Although there are many poor or working class white children who cannot swim for similar reasons, swimming has gained an image as a "white sport".

"It is [seen as] a country club sport that only very rich kids get to participate in. The swimming pool is [seen as] a very elitist thing to have in your backyard," says Prof Irwin.

- As well as the fear factor, Prof Irwin's study found that appearance was also a reason for African-Americans avoiding swimming.

Black respondents, far more than white or Hispanic respondents, were sometimes concerned about the effect chlorinated water would have on their hair.
    "African-American women, many of them if they go the beauty shop and get their hair fixed they are not going to swim," says Bishop Brandon.

Historic discrimination is posited as just one explanation, and not even one which is relevant in modern society where the opportunities are there for everyone to learn to swim, and to become competitive swimmers as Olympic gold medalist Cullen Jones has done, but the interest just isn’t there among those communities, and that’s why Cullen Jones became a spokesman for the Make a Splash campaign, in order to get people interested in swimming -

"I would love to make it a rule like they have in the UK," says Cullen Jones, a gold medallist in the freestyle 100m relay in Beijing, and a spokesman for USA Swimming's Make a Splash campaign.

"It isn't a requirement, it isn't a priority in the US."
    Jones's mother took him to swimming lessons after he nearly drowned at a theme park aged five. By eight he was swimming competitively.

The Make a Splash campaign is targeting all non-swimmers and their parents but there is a particular focus on ethnic minority families.

As Jones points out -

Perhaps the most alarming thing is that the studies suggest that those who cannot swim - like the Warners and Stewarts - often spend time in pools and other swimming sites.

"Kids are going to be by the water, they love being by the water, and that's something that we really need to make a priority," says Jones.

"Here everybody knows how to drive a car. It should also be a rite of passage to learn how to swim."

The reason we don’t see more black people in competitive swimming isn’t because of a lack of facilities or a lack of opportunities or discrimination that existed in the 40s, 50s and 60s, it’s simply because swimming just isn’t an activity that enough people are interested in (in this case black people is who we’re talking about), let alone swimming competitively. Many people who are interested in swimming consider it to be an essential life skill, apart from any competitive aspect, the responsibility is on those people then to generate interest, instead of insinuating that black people can’t swim because they’re oppressed by some imaginary oppressor. The only person stopping anyone from learning to swim, is themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Stop your bickering, keep things civil/clean and try to avoid winding others up gang.

Re; the whole swimming race thing.....take it to PM the both of you. Essays on the topic dont belong in this thread.

Any questions on this please PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Travellers (for the most part) are a burden on society.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Travellers (for the most part) are a burden on society.

Mod:

And.... on that note this thread is now Closed

Mod

Thread is reopened.

One liners and throwaway opinions are not welcome. If you have an opinion you wish to express, express it civilly and post something that can be discussed.

Any throwaway incendiary comments will be treated as trolling and carded appropriately.

Please keep things lighthearted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Golden retrievers.
    Such sappy, needy, nervous, greedy, simpering, babyish dogs with a tendency to stink.

I was brought up with 4 GR dogs and loved and mourned each one greatly but now, if I was to get a dog, they'd be the last breed I'd choose.

And GR owners take and share way too many boring photos of their darling dogs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

How Come such an Open Borders Fella Like Bono has Huge Gates and Huge Walls around his Gaff ? ? ?

Seems Very hypocritical ! ! ! Of course there are other just like him ( same ideas as Bono ) with Huge Walls and huge Gates ! ! !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,481 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

blinding wrote: »
    How Come such an Open Borders Fella Like Bono has Huge Gates and Huge Walls around his Gaff ? ? ?

Seems Very hypocritical ! ! ! Of course there are other just like him ( same ideas as Bono ) with Huge Walls and huge Gates ! ! !

Why would you lock your front door when you have no issue with outsiders visiting your county or village?

kowloon wrote: »
    Why would you lock your front door when you have no issue with outsiders visiting your county or village?
    Strange how Bono and his Like Need Huge Walls and Huge Gates around their Gaffs ! ! !:eek:

Strange how Bono and his Like Need Huge Walls and Huge Gates around their Gaffs ! ! !:eek:

How do you know there big walls around their houses?

How do you know there big walls around their houses?
    I like to check out the Hypocrisy of People that have Huge Gates and Huge Walls so I pretend I am a Big Fan when actually I am just Marvelling at their Walls and Gates !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

A lot of the attacks on Trump are logical fallacies such as guilt by association. Comparing him to Hitler and so on. Those against Trump cherry pick any similarities to Hitler while ignoring the substantive differences to suit thier argument or sell a book.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I like to check out the Hypocrisy of People that have Huge Gates and Huge Walls so I pretend I am a Big Fan when actually I am just Marvelling at their Walls and Gates !

Yeah, but like how do you know? Did someone go and take photos of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Ireland never stopped being a religious country

While we we're once devoutly Catholic,now we are instead devoutly WOKE.

Those BLM demonstrations around the country this past week were examples of religious observance and piety, back in the day the church dictated what we should think and nobody deviated from that approved narrative

Now we have the church of political correctness with the media and NGO sector as our moral guardian's who tell us what is the right way to think

We enthusiastically quee up on Facebook or twitter to signal our purity towards PC dogma in the way our grandparents kneeled for the stations of the cross etc

We we're always a nation of group thinkers

Mod

Lads, for the last time; this is After Hours - if something isnt lighthearted, there is another forum for it.

Thats the reason the thread was previously closed - it will be the reason it will be closed again.

Politics and religion do not fall under 'light hearted'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Those BLM demonstrations around the country this past week were examples of religious observance and piety, back in the day the church dictated what we should think and nobody deviated from that approved narrative

Now we have the church of political correctness with the media and NGO sector as our moral guardian's who tell us what is the right way to think

We enthusiastically quee up on Facebook or twitter to signal our purity towards PC dogma in the way our grandparents kneeled for the stations of the cross etc

A load of nonsense really. There's just as many people, if not more, who complain about the the woke crowd than those who actually take part in it. The majority of people I know don't pay much attention to political correctness at all. I think you might be spending too much time on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Rothko wrote: »
    A load of nonsense really. There's just as many people, if not more, who complain about the the woke crowd than those who actually take part in it. The majority of people I know don't pay much attention to political correctness at all. I think you might be spending too much time on social media.

Every single talking point on radio or TV has a PC narrative

• Advertisement

Every single talking point on radio or TV has a PC narrative

That's the media, not the general public.

Yeah, but like how do you know? Did someone go and take photos of them?

A Journalist acquaintance mentioned it. I thought I would go to check them out. Like I said Great Gates, Great Walls, Hugely Impressive ! !

A Journalist acquaintance mentioned it. I thought I would go to check them out. Like I said Great Gates, Great Walls, Hugely Impressive ! !

Is that you, Donald?

Morons on Twitter aren't your journalistic acquittances.

Morons on Twitter aren't your journalistic acquittances.
    Correct. I am not on twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

But that's why I find it so fun living in this country... when someone has the balls to actually break ranks and go in a different direction to the rest of the flock, the reaction from the herd tends to make for great entertainment! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SporadicMan

But that's why I find it so fun living in this country... when someone has the balls to actually break ranks and go in a different direction to the rest of the flock, the reaction from the herd tends to make for great entertainment! :D
    They're just following the Yank herd though. It's not like they're unique thinkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Selective dog breeding should be banned.

I despise people buying a pedigree dog for several hundred Euro. Buy a mut from the pound.

An acquaintance of mine invited me into his house and he had his pug in a 2x1 metre cage. That's where he's kept when indoors I was told.

Scum

I despise people buying a pedigree dog for several hundred Euro. Buy a mut from the pound.

An acquaintance of mine invited me into his house and he had his pug in a 2x1 metre cage. That's where he's kept when indoors I was told.

Scum

Selective human breeding should be imposed. People of a certain socio economic class should be neutered ,or at least after 2 kids ,especially if they failed to provide for them without long term welfare assistance

As for dogs etc, people have the right to buy what they want ,if they want the best and highest in class ,no one shall stop them. Stop breeding the inferior class dog

As for caging, ya okay ,with you on that one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭storker

Scum

We went through a phase of watching lots of the Supervet programmes on Channel 4 and the vast majority of orthopaedic cases seem to be dogs with conditions that stem directly from their breeding e.g. Alsatians with displaced hips, Pugs and Bulldogs with breathing problems, etc. It struck me that such selective breeding seems to be a form of animal cruelty in itself, and I'm not even a dog lover.

Advertisement