Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SporadicMan

Irish government and media prioritises its image abroad, and foreign nationals, over Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Irish government and media prioritises its image abroad, and foreign nationals, over Irish people.

That's a pretty popular opinion, Gemma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

Unpopular?

I think a vast majority of Irish working class people would be of the opinion that the state treats at least some sub groups of foreign nationals better than a working Irish person.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Pasty white feckers should not be afraid to say, they do not like the sun!

Example:

Enjoying the weather?

No, feck off!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Ireland never stopped being a religious country

While we we're once devoutly Catholic,now we are instead devoutly WOKE.

Those BLM demonstrations around the country this past week were examples of religious observance and piety, back in the day the church dictated what we should think and nobody deviated from that approved narrative

Now we have the church of political correctness with the media and NGO sector as our moral guardian's who tell us what is the right way to think

We enthusiastically quee up on Facebook or twitter to signal our purity towards PC dogma in the way our grandparents kneeled for the stations of the cross etc

We we're always a nation of group thinkers

You know that all this stuff goes away if you ignore it, right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Teachers are massively overpaid and nurses and bus drivers are underpaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,399 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The Sunday Game's latest policy of including recent ladies football matches in their "classic games" feature is nothing only a box-ticking exercise.

I mean tonight they went from showing Kerry pulling a draw out of nowhere thanks to a brilliant David Clifford goal, to Dublin ladies winning the All-Ireland by twelve points. How in the hell is that a "classic"?

In fact, the whole 20-20-20 campaign to cover more women's sport on mainstream media puts undue pressure on outlets to provide content that ordinarily wouldn't make the cut. With all the will in the world, I have never heard people recalling a great camogie or ladies football match from yesteryear, and the average woman wouldn't care so much about sport anyway that they would tune in just to watch their own sex play.

The popularity and quality between men's and women's sport is like chalk and cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

The Sunday Game's latest policy of including recent ladies football matches in their "classic games" feature is nothing only a box-ticking exercise.

I mean tonight they went from showing Kerry pulling a draw out of nowhere thanks to a brilliant David Clifford goal, to Dublin ladies winning the All-Ireland by twelve points. How in the hell is that a "classic"?

In fact, the whole 20-20-20 campaign to cover more women's sport on mainstream media puts undue pressure on outlets to provide content that ordinarily wouldn't make the cut. With all the will in the world, I have never heard people recalling a great camogie or ladies football match from yesteryear, and the average woman wouldn't care so much about sport anyway that they would tune in just to watch their own sex play.

The popularity and quality between men's and women's sport is like chalk and cheese.
    I completely agree. Well said.

Do you think the quality of teacher has an impact on how good an education they provide? Or is every teacher the same?

Do you think the quality of teacher has an impact on how good an education they provide? Or is every teacher the same?

Absolutely. A good teacher is worth their weight in gold.

However, there is little bit no mechanism to purge rubbish teachers and the guaranteed yearly increase (which is quite generous) is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Absolutely. A good teacher is worth their weight in gold.

However, there is little bit no mechanism to purge rubbish teachers and the guaranteed yearly increase (which is quite generous) is ridiculous.

Right. How many good teachers will there be if you lower their salaries and take away job security? It's a very specific qualification that doesn't transfer to other industries.

Right. How many good teachers will there be if you lower their salaries and take away job security? It's a very specific qualification that doesn't transfer to other industries.

They're paid much higher than other European jurisdictions.

A starting salary of €35 in your early 20's is quite good raising to €65 is astronomical. The guaranteed pay increase is what irks most people.

In the private sector you have to bust your balls to get an increase. I earn similar money but my responsibility is much higher.

You'd need to be in middle management to get €65k in the private sector. Factor in that they're working only a fraction of the year and day it's a pretty sweet deal. Exam supervision and correction is optional and pays extra btw.

Before you ask why I amn't a teacher, if I knew now what I knew when I was younger I definitely would have become one. To become one now would require two years off work, upto €100 in lost income and loss of pension contributions and health insurance payments.

Rubbish teachers still exist despite the inflated salary so your point is moot.

You'll probably just ignore me now because you can't respond with a good counter argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Why is wearing blackface in the past such a faux pas. It didn't harm any black people, did it?

Also, cultural appreciation. Fcuk off with that sh1t. If I want to have corn rolls in my hair, so fcuking what (I wouldn't by the way, I think they look sh1t on white people).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,660 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So do you enjoy driving buses?

NIMAN wrote: »
    So do you enjoy driving buses?

I am in none of those aforementioned jobs. So I've no agenda.

Teaching is easier, less stressful and has much less responsibility than bus driving. Bus drivers deserve more. Teachers' pay should be slashed and the TUI and ASTI should stop being spoken to by the department of education

• Registered Users Posts: 33,660 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I am in none of those aforementioned jobs. So I've no agenda.

Teaching is easier, less stressful and has much less responsibility than bus driving. Bus drivers deserve more. Teachers' pay should be slashed and the TUI and ASTI should stop being spoken to by the department of education

Why don't you train to be a teacher if it's such as easy, well paid job?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,354 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Golden retrievers.
    Such sappy, needy, nervous, greedy, simpering, babyish dogs with a tendency to stink.

I was brought up with 4 GR dogs and loved and mourned each one greatly but now, if I was to get a dog, they'd be the last breed I'd choose.

And GR owners take and share way too many boring photos of their darling dogs.

Once shared a house with someone who had a GR, it was a sweet dog but by GOD did it stink. I never thought a dog would smell so much. Delicate stomach too, used puke and shyte in kitchen occasionally and constant cleaning needed for the small mountains of hair continually falling out of it.

Coming from a farm background, I believe a dog like that with plenty insulation should have a house or kennel and sleep outside of living areas.

They're paid much higher than other European jurisdictions.

A starting salary of €35 in your early 20's is quite good raising to €65 is astronomical. The guaranteed pay increase is what irks most people.

In the private sector you have to bust your balls to get an increase. I earn similar money but my responsibility is much higher.

You'd need to be in middle management to get €65k in the private sector. Factor in that they're working only a fraction of the year and day it's a pretty sweet deal. Exam supervision and correction is optional and pays extra btw.

Before you ask why I amn't a teacher, if I knew now what I knew when I was younger I definitely would have become one. To become one now would require two years off work, upto €100 in lost income and loss of pension contributions and health insurance payments.

Teachers are overpaid and then you back that up by saying that by the time they retire, they could be on middle management salary. Forty years of work to get upto 65k. A maximum.

It's clear you think teachers have it handy. I used to think the same and created a massive thread about it on this site over a decade ago when I graduated. But I've grown up since and realise now i hadn't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Nutella is one of the most horrendous "foods" around.

Horrible horrible stuff

• Advertisement

Read my previous post like a good lad.

Teachers are overpaid and then you back that up by saying that by the time they retire, they could be on middle management salary. Forty years of work to get upto 65k. A maximum.

It's clear you think teachers have it handy. I used to think the same and created a massive thread about it on this site over a decade ago when I graduated. But I've grown up since and realise now i hadn't a clue.

They receive middle management salaries with no increase in responsibility. I don't know why you're struggling to comprehend a basic concept. They're overpaid sponges.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

This thread is very obviously suited to CA/IMHO. Please note a different forum charter now applies.

Thread moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Why is wearing blackface in the past such a faux pas. It didn't harm any black people, did it?

The film ‘White Girls’ is racist.
    BattleCorp wrote: »
    Also, cultural appreciation. Fcuk off with that sh1t. If I want to have corn rolls in my hair, so fcuking what (I wouldn't by the way, I think they look sh1t on white people).

Corn rolls look sh1t on all people.

They receive middle management salaries with no increase in responsibility. I don't know why you're struggling to comprehend a basic concept. They're overpaid sponges.

Overpaid sponges who you said are worth their weight in gold if they're good at their job. And you want to reduce their salary so the profession doesn't attract talent.

You make being responsible as middle manager sound like it's some big thing. A middle manager is responsible for what? Making sure a production quota is met. Yeah that's serious value to society.

Educating our youth and being responsible for thousands of students over a career is worth less than being responsible for a team of twenty people doing a job they don't care about that makes some shareholders more money.

Just admit you hated school and hated your teachers.

Overpaid sponges who you said are worth their weight in gold if they're good at their job. And you want to reduce their salary so the profession doesn't attract talent.

You make being responsible as middle manager sound like it's some big thing. A middle manager is responsible for what? Making sure a production quota is met. Yeah that's serious value to society.

Educating our youth and being responsible for thousands of students over a career is worth less than being responsible for a team of twenty people doing a job they don't care about that makes some shareholders more money.

Just admit you hated school and hated your teachers.

So do you at least agree that the unions have too much clout and mechanisms should exist to purge rubbish teachers?

Lone parent allowance should only be paid to widows and widowers.

Social housing should be on a "take what you're given and like it" basis.

City Centres should have a minimum building height rather than a maximum in order to optimise space.

Speeding fines are not high enough.

A collision with a vulnerable road user should be automatically the motorist's fault.

So do you at least agree that the unions have too much clout and mechanisms should exist to purge rubbish teachers?

Retrain and if that fails, yes, purge. But reducing their salary so that after 40 years of work, they make less than some manager who has risen to their level of incompetence at the age of 35? No.

I achieved nothing as a hedge fund accountant. Nor did my managers. I was a cog in a wheel we were never educated about. If I wasn't there, someone else did some overtime and the quality of the work was the exact same. A NAV of a fund that some account in the Bahamas would buy into when I release the number.

I pity anyone who thinks that job, or my manager's, added more to society than a teacher, especially in an age where parents more and more leave the parenting to the schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭cms88

If it's so badly paid then why are the one's who complain still become teachers? Same with any job in the public sector?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

So you are saying that the financial rewards of being a teacher aren't worth the effort of becoming one?

That means you believe teachers are underpaid.

Advertisement