Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

Retrain and if that fails, yes, purge. But reducing their salary so that after 40 years of work, they make less than some manager who has risen to their level of incompetence at the age of 35? No.

I achieved nothing as a hedge fund accountant. Nor did my managers. I was a cog in a wheel we were never educated about. If I wasn't there, someone else did some overtime and the quality of the work was the exact same. A NAV of a fund that some account in the Bahamas would buy into when I release the number.

I pity anyone who thinks that job, or my manager's, added more to society than a teacher, especially in an age where parents more and more leave the parenting to the schools.

Hellserv? Haha

More to life than fund accounting. I remember at University someone came from state street I think to talk about it as a career. It was extremely effective at making sure people knew what they didn't want to do!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

blanch152 wrote: »
    So you are saying that the financial rewards of being a teacher aren't worth the effort of becoming one?

That means you believe teachers are underpaid.

No. It's financially rewarding if you start the process when you're straight out of college.

To take two years out full time to retrain will cost over 100k in lost salary, pension and health benefits.

Read before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

So you are saying that the financial rewards of being a teacher aren't worth the effort of becoming one?

That means you believe teachers are underpaid.

No, and I wouldn't want to be a teacher in Ireland as you're surrounded by mugs that did it for the holiday and easy life....Not the vocation it requires...

I would be quite happy incentivising teaching with even better salaries if it meant better teachers....but we all know it won't when they have guaranteed pay increases, impossible to fire, lacklustre performance targets etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Teachers are massively overpaid and nurses and bus drivers are underpaid.

In my first year as a bus driver, I earned more than either a newly qualified teacher or a newly qualified nurse.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

No. It's financially rewarding if you start the process when you're straight out of college.

To take two years out full time to retrain will cost over 100k in lost salary, pension and health benefits.

Read before posting.

You know nothing about teachers pay. The payscale is 25 years long. Therefore, to retire at 60 on the top of the scale, you can join at 35 and still make it.

For a teacher it would be financially rewarding at 35 to take two years off and qualify as an accountant, solicitor or barrister.

Yet, you are saying it wouldn't be financially rewarding to do the opposite.

That means that a career as a teacher isn't as financially rewarding as you think.

What you are saying is that it is not possible to make money quickly as a teacher, that it is a long hard slog, and rewards only come after years and years of hard work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

As the thread is no longer in AH, you are free to discuss non-lighthearted opinions as you see fit.

However, i would recommend keeping it respectful.

Usual CA rules otherwise apply. Breaches of forum rules will be actioned as appropriate.

Updating OP to reflect this.

The link also explains -

It is an interesting topic with a lot more nuance than you are allowing for I think. I am glad the thread has been moved and the mod has indicated conversation it is allowed after all (I hope - I would hate my pristine boards record to be besmirched due to a misunderstanding hehehe). I knew nothing about it before your (and other users) posts on the matter last week. So it is all new to me.

But very little of that stuff you just pasted form the article supports the "cant be bothered" narrative. That is what confused me then in your post - and still does now. And since the link directly refers to oppression on a large generational scale too - the confusion was compounded. I genuinely do not think the link says what you seem to want it to say.

Take the "fear of drowning" bit you quoted. That one is quite sad actually. Until this thread I knew nothing about swimming in the US - let alone specifically related to race.

But if an entire generation or two was systematically oppressed and not allowed access to pools - and then crap pools you can not even swim in were eventually built for them as some sort of fake concession - then a "fear of drowning" most certainly can not be filed under "can't be bothered". It is a direct consequence of that "oppression".

Another thing you just quoted where it claims swimming has "gained an image as a white sport". That is not "can't be bothered" either. I would not call that "oppression" for sure. I doubt we disagree there. But it is absolutely not a quote that support the "can't be bothered" concept either. Not even close. Not even a little.

The saddest thing in the entire article for example - that really struck me in the heart - was the claim many parents are saying things to focus groups like "My children are never going to learn to swim because I'm scared they would drown.". It is hard to credibly claim that the people "cant be bothered" to challenge themselves when their own parents are refusing to allow them. It is also deeply sad because as the article notes - that attitude is likely to lead to such kids drowning - in their misguided attempt to stop their kids drowning. I find it inspirational in a way as I now find myself questioning myself - asking myself if there is anything I have been denying enriching my own children's lives with because of fears I unjustifiably hold. I hope not anyway.

In fact the only thing even remotely close to "can't be bothered" in the entire article - and even then it is a stretch - is the lines about how some of the people involved fear the chemicals in the water will mess with their hair. But the link was very vague on just how many people were saying that. It just says there was "more" of them than certain other groups. But while that sentence sounds informative at first - it actually isn't unless you know how many are in the other groups. For example if a single person said it in one group - then if three people said it in the second group the sentence "Black respondents, far more than white or Hispanic respondents" would technically be accurate even though 3 people is statistically no one.
    instead of insinuating that black people can’t swim because they’re oppressed by some imaginary oppressor. The only person stopping anyone from learning to swim, is themselves.

I think the truth is in the middle and we would be wrong to directly ascribe it to oppression and - going on your link alone - very very wrong to suggest it is just that people can not be bothered.

Rather than call it "oppression" I would see it as vestigial of oppression. That would seem much more accurate from anything I read this weekend. And most certainly from anything in your chosen link. And I am glad your link and others show people working hard to heal those wounds.

As you yourself say people run too easily to scream "oppression" at things like this. I would have to look at _current_ facilities and programs before I know what oppression exists now. But everything in your link suggests to me that regardless of what oppression exists _now_ - the vestigial effects of the oppression only one or two generations ago is likely the biggest factor _today_.

For example the "can't be bothered" narrative you pushed just does not make sense if I combine these two lines from your link -

"Kids are going to be by the water, they love being by the water, and that's something that we really need to make a priority"
    ++
    "My children are never going to learn to swim because I'm scared they would drown.".

- that tells me in the first quote kids _can_ be bothered and love the water and want to be around it and in it and learning about it - but they are actively being prevented from doing so by parents still suffering the post-trauma of their own history and oppression.

But I trust that the people "on the ground" over there know all that better than any white Irish guys on a foreign internet forum and I would hope that they are not addressing oppression so much as the echo's of it today and know a hell of a lot more about it than you or I.

The first link Google gives me on the subject - rather than seeking any link that I can cherry pick to fit a narrative - was this one and it mentions that:

"It requires intentional effort on the part of swim facilities and youth programs to disrupt the pervasive and persistent narrative in Black/African-American communities that water is dangerous and swim lessons are not accessible."

There is a short discussion on it here in video and here in text too. The video is heart wrenching. Especially the "Mom - Im gonna do big things" line.

All a little more informative than a 10 year old cherry picked opinion piece in a British News Site - actually when I googled blacks swimming america I had to go back 7 pages into the results before your link appeared - and just leaves me feeling that simply saying people can't be arsed to challenge themselves is more than merely ill informed.

But - it is hard to be empathetic to the lives of such people when that level of historic or contemporary systematic oppression on large and smaller more subtle scales exist for them. It is just difficult to put ones head in that space and imagine what it is like for them. I try. I likely fail hard.

Actually I must go back to a book on a related topic. An Irish boards.ie user gave me a book written by his American cousin called "Just like us" which followed intimately the lives of some teenage girl US immigrants. I got distracted from the book by becoming a father. I always intended to return to it. Will re-start it tonight I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Teachers are massively overpaid and nurses and bus drivers are underpaid.

Saying that "nurses are underpaid " is not an unpopular opinion, quite the opposite

How is this Current Affairs... It's been in AH for ten months. Now it's just going to be filled with political stuff.

A non European doler could spend years getting free money - having never worked here - and then could sue the government because of issues stemming from his lack of motivation. Would hardly cost him a thought and certainly not a cent. It's only a matter of time if it hasn't already happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

White guys who specify their ideal ‘type’ of woman as ‘asian’ is a massive red flag.

Not saying all white men with asian women are creepy, if you just happen to be with an asian woman its fine , but if they soecify their type as ‘asian’ and actively persue asians as partners , it is often derived from the false stereotype that 4chan and MRA/Incel sites peddle that asian women are submissive, subserviant and obedient.

Its basically a coded way of id’ing controlling or insecure men.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,055 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

In my first year as a bus driver, I earned more than either a newly qualified teacher or a newly qualified nurse.

How about the 2nd year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

White guys who specify their ideal ‘type’ of woman as ‘asian’ is a massive red flag.

Not saying all white men with asian women are creepy, if you just happen to be with an asian woman its fine , but if they soecify their type as ‘asian’ and actively persue asians as partners , it is often derived from the false stereotype that 4chan and MRA/Incel sites peddle that asian women are submissive, subserviant and obedient.

Its basically a coded way of id’ing controlling or insecure men.

What about white women who state a preference for black men?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

hardybuck wrote: »
    What about white women who state a preference for black men?

Have an unpopular opinion about them too, but it may prove too unpopular so ill keep it to myself. A few african resorts have a lot of sex tourism from older white women.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

You know nothing about teachers pay. The payscale is 25 years long. Therefore, to retire at 60 on the top of the scale, you can join at 35 and still make it.

For a teacher it would be financially rewarding at 35 to take two years off and qualify as an accountant, solicitor or barrister.

Yet, you are saying it wouldn't be financially rewarding to do the opposite.

That means that a career as a teacher isn't as financially rewarding as you think.

What you are saying is that it is not possible to make money quickly as a teacher, that it is a long hard slog, and rewards only come after years and years of hard work.

My mother took early retirement at 55 after 34 years as a teacher. She told me she decided to take the early retirement option when she looked at what she was earning from working compared to what she’d “earn” in retirement and the difference was only about 10k over the course of the year.

She also got a massive lump sum on retirement.

Never had to pay for childcare during the holidays as she was off with us.

Never had to worry about getting laid off even through numerous recessions.

She was a good teacher who really cared about her students, but that’s not what’s in question here.

The question is: Can we afford to treat tens of thousands of teachers in this opulent manner. And how can we revolutionize the system so GOOD teachers get to the top of the pay grade and BAD teachers get weeded out? Tenure is not a good way to judge these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

How about the 2nd year?

Same. Maybe after around five years, their pay overtakes mine. Quite a long time to wait though. Especially when you consider the fact that my job took six weeks of training.

Same. Maybe after around five years, their pay overtakes mine. Quite a long time to wait though. Especially when you consider the fact that my job took six weeks of training.

until your pay freezes and they get unreal benefits for life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Jmsg wrote: »
    The myth of contemporary White racism and Black victimisation is one of the biggest lies in all of history

Did your girlfriend leave you for a black guy who was better able to satisfy her?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I know it's been moved from AH, but this is not current affairs and I'm closing it

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Beasty wrote: »
    I know it's been moved from AH, but this is not current affairs and I'm closing it
    Following commentary in Feedback, re-opened

Please not that any "unpopular opinions" that are racist, transphobic, inciting hatred etc. or otherwise contravene site rules or Terms of Use will be dealt with accordingly

Any questions, PM me - do not respond to this post in-thread

• Advertisement

The Flagship Smartphone Market in Ireland is comprised primarily of individuals who feel self-satisfied that their latest model has THAT particular feature on their brand / model. It is of secondary importance that this smartphone feature / app will ever be put into action.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

[QUOTE=KiKi III;113671031

The question is: Can we afford to treat tens of thousands of teachers in this opulent manner. And how can we revolutionize the system so GOOD teachers get to the top of the pay grade and BAD teachers get weeded out? Tenure is not a good way to judge these things.[/QUOTE]

Biggest problems are the trade unions. A sure sign of inefficiency in any workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

The homosapien is an evolutionary aberration - possibly has some alien dna as well. Surely those ancient civilisations couldn't all have imagined spaceships.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

It is too late to do anything about climate change/global warming, and the resulting climate chaos is going to decimate agriculture and water supplies around the world in the next five years leading to mass famines, war, pestilence, and plague and the collapse of human civilisation, and possibly even the extinction of all humanity as well as 96% of all life on Earth, worse than the Permian-Triassic mass extinction event.

auspicious wrote: »

i'd agree as a meat eater, trying to scale it right back but it's hard!

I have a new friend, Bob the hernia, and everything wrong that enters my gut bob alerts me straight away! and meat is the big one!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

auspicious wrote: »

without meat as a protein source we wouldn't have the large brains we do and would still be banging on rocks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

It is too late to do anything about climate change/global warming, and the resulting climate chaos is going to decimate agriculture and water supplies around the world in the next five years leading to mass famines, war, pestilence, and plague and the collapse of human civilisation, and possibly even the extinction of all humanity as well as 96% of all life on Earth, worse than the Permian-Triassic mass extinction event.

Jesus I would say you are some craic at a party

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

i'd agree as a meat eater, trying to scale it right back but it's hard!

I have a new friend, Bob the hernia, and everything wrong that enters my gut bob alerts me straight away! and meat is the big one!

This film makes it easier to eat plant-based only.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3XrY2TP0ZyU

Advertisement