Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Drumpot wrote: »
    I’d of thought that’s actually a popular opinion. I know that I can think this at times when you see certain children act but it could equally be to do with developmental issues down to many different factors.

It’s easy to brand a child bold when you don’t know the underlying reasons for their behavior. And society loves to isolate “different” children/people who don’t fit into our conformed way of living, which includes the 9-5 cradle to grave rat race that’s completely ludicrous.

I also think the breakdown of the family structure can contribute towards ill behaved kids.

whilst a single mum can raise kids, the kids do need a father figure to go with their mother .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

most kids "diagnosed" with ADHD are just spoilt little sh1ts who were not given proper discipline.

ADD/ADHD does exist but it's overdiagnosed.

It's ****ing hard to get the medicine though in Ireland, especially as an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,486 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Animals (including domestic pets) are for eating, working or left alone in their natural habitat.

Idk the natural habitat of my kitten was the 4th lane on the highway, I think we made the right call ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Covid-19 fallout i.e. domestic violence, poor mental health, recession and death is due to the way we treat animals and the meat we buy and cook for ourselves and our children.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cXrNA8NE4rU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

My opinions on fixing the housing crisis. Was talking politics on zoom beers at the weekend got absolutely lambasted from a couple of "Sinners and a PBP supporter".

Simple salutation to the housing crisis
    • Row back on the anti landlord policies. Cut taxes and make it easier to get rid of troublesome tenants. Landlords are leaving in their droves
    • reduce the costs of building. SF and PBP will scream about this but to have a functioning private development sector we need developers and builders to take the risks they took during the Celtic Tiger years. The cost of building in areas with high demand is pushing house prices out of reach for many
    • Take 3 or 4 bedroom council houses of people who may have reared their families and have no need for them. It sounds harsh but why does a person have the right to live on in a house they don't own or don't need. You could also build one bed apartments in the locality for these people to move into. This could also be done for private dwellings the councils should have the ability to offer market price for homes where bedrooms are not needed. This could be encouraged by saying that the money received from the council is exempt from Inheritance tax. The council would pay the person for the home plus allow them to move into an apartment, With other older neighbors. These can be apartments bought under pat V. It would also provide a mix of older and younger people in these estates. It would also keep bad tenants from private estates.

The housing crisis is a massive problem but increasing supply of new builds and council owned property and fully existing stock is the only way. Putting more obstacles in the way of developers and landlords will only lead to less supply. Let them make money if it provides housing. A council house should be based on need at the time and not a forever home.

• Advertisement

The Sunday Broadsheet Printed Media are no more that the ultimate sophisticated virtue signalling matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Joe Columbo

Pretty much every single major challenge humanity faces is due to overpopulation and politicians and policy makers don't have the courage to come out and say this and look for population controls to be put in place all over the world with greatest focus in countries with low food security. This needs to be done ASAP before the inevitable massive famine that is awaiting humanity in the not too distant future. Better to stop people being born than watch them live miserable lives and starve to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

ADHD is just a trendy lazy excuse/cop out for a badly behaved child in a society obsessed with quick fixes and categories.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

ADHD is just a trendy lazy excuse/cop out for a badly behaved child in a society obsessed with quick fixes and categories.

absolutely. When I was in school we had maybe 120 students in my year for junior cert , when we got to 5th year , 25 of them were farmed off to the new LCA program (one or two just not good at wrote learning but all the disruptive ones) that LCA class of 22-23 disruptive kids , 20 had been diagnosed with ADHD/ADD by a quack doctor the quack school councillor recommended, a great joy to their crappy parents I'm sure "its not our fault little billy threw a chair at a girl, it was the adhd, pass me another can there Maura before I slap you"

20 kids out of 120 having ADD/ADHD in one school year is alarm bells level diagnosis.

Pretty much every single major challenge humanity faces is due to overpopulation and politicians and policy makers don't have the courage to come out and say this and look for population controls to be put in place all over the world with greatest focus in countries with low food security. This needs to be done ASAP before the inevitable massive famine that is awaiting humanity in the not too distant future. Better to stop people being born than watch them live miserable lives and starve to death.

unfortunately the only fair answer is to stop the poorest people having kids, which would end up looking like a giant racist genocide sterilising the minorities, no politician wants to touch it and while its a deeply unpopular opinion , its likely what needs to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SporadicMan

The general Irish public are far too impressionable and are now being taken advantage of by the infinite number of NGOs operating in the country.

George Zimmerman wasn't white when he stood his ground and he's not white now.

Foil, Arms and Hog are overrated.

Farmer Michael is shight - how anyone can see the humour in his sketches is beyond me.

Oliver Callan is an excellent mimic, but as far as comedy value - poor; not in the same league as the abovenamed "culchie " as far as being rubbish goes though.

In its day Gift Grub knocked all of the above out of the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭cms88

Foil, Arms and Hog are overrated.

Farmer Michael is shight - how anyone can see the humour in his sketches is beyond me.

Oliver Callan is an excellent mimic, but as far as comedy value - poor; not in the same league as the abovenamed "culchie " as far as being rubbish goes though.

In its day Gift Grub knocked all of the above out of the park.

The problem with all of them is it's alway the same thing over and over again. Rory's Stories is another. I just don't get what he's supposed to be now. Is it comedy? Singing? Mental Health talks?

Sizeable minority becoming more cute / smarta$$ when it comes to their street etiquette / waiting for a bus /

Related in a way to when some go on holidays and enter their hotel.
    Promptly leave their manners at the door.

cms88 wrote: »
    The problem with all of them is it's alway the same thing over and over again. Rory's Stories is another. I just don't get what he's supposed to be now. Is it comedy? Singing? Mental Health talks?

Well comedy is subjective so I doubt they could be done under the trades description act.. Definitely not funny. I'm glad I'm not the only one that notices this craic.... Mental health awareness, virtue signalling, being seen to be right on, while coming out with a few unfunny wisecracks makes this rubbish acceptable to the sh1tterati, and by extension to the masses, who are brainwashed into thinking they believe the sh1t to be funny :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

ADD/ADHD does exist but it's overdiagnosed.

It's ****ing hard to get the medicine though in Ireland, especially as an adult.

I think the opposite. I know 2 people who have been diagnosed with ADD as adults and turned their lives around thanks to the right treatment. If they were diagnosed as children they would have a chance to change course much earlier.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

The Sunday Broadsheet Printed Media are no more that the ultimate sophisticated virtue signalling matter.

Even the Sunday Independent????

they/them/theirs

lip fillers and tanning bed/ fake tan use is the female equivalent of neck tattoos or thick Argos gold chains for men , massive visual clues that you lost out on the IQ bell curve lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The UK were totally right to defend the Falklands from illegal Argentinian invasion, and Margaret Thatcher should be commended for her actions in this matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Sheep_shear

Do you live in a city where you've trouble getting housing or the public transport is crap or the cost of living is too high, and probably always will be for you? If that's you and you have no real commitments, then moaning about it is a waste of time. You should move. Asap. Life's too short, the solutions to these things takes too long, go somewhere else.

Brian? wrote: »
    Even the Sunday Independent????

I'm focusing on the Sunday Times. Then by a moderately distant second place, the Sunday Business Post.

Hope I did'nt hurt your feelings too much.

The UK were totally right to defend the Falklands from illegal Argentinian invasion, and Margaret Thatcher should be commended for her actions in this matter.

She had to defend it and it was the only option.

The merits and demerits of occupying the islands is another separate debate.

Something for Thatchers utterly die hard conservative supporters to FOCUS ON after the H Block Hunger Strikes and election of a H Block inmate the previous year, who died as an MP: Bobby Sands

The merits and demerits of occupying the islands is another separate debate.

The term "occupying" isn't usually used for the legitimate, democratically mandated governance of a sovereign territory.

The term "occupying" isn't usually used for the legitimate, democratically mandated governance of a sovereign territory.

You are on thin ground when a country uses force or the threat of force to claim a barren island thousands of miles away. I think occupying is apt.

As I said a separate debate.

I'm focusing on the Sunday Times. Then by a moderately distant second place, the Sunday Business Post.

Hope I did'nt hurt your feelings too much.

So not all broadsheets then?

How could this possible have hurt my feelings?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You are on thin ground when a country uses force or the threat of force to claim a barren island thousands of miles away. I think occupying is apt.

they didnt. they just landed and planted a flag on a rock that nobody else at the time wanted. a rock that not even argentina wanted until the argentinan wanted a distraction from problems at home.

It was Argentina that used force to claim them.

Britain's claim is based on an overwhelming democratic mandate.

Maybe we've found a new unpopular opinion: "Democracy should be ignored based on geography." Not one I'd subscribe to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

This 'taking a knee' black lives matter thing is silly when you think about it.
    I mean I know the idea is to highlight racism and so on.
    But I felt it is only preaching to the choir 'people who are not racist'. But racists are always going to be racists - it won't make a difference to them.

I mean I saw on the soccer yesterday the players - 'took the knee'.
    It was said by commentators today that it looked 'powerful'.

But to me firstly looked liked lads stretching. Plus way worse than this, it reminded me of 'Planet of the Apes' where the apes crouch down and make themselves submissive. All that was missing was the arm outstretched!

Then I realised oh jayus that could be interpreted as racist! Apes etc. But it honestly did remind me of the film because of the kneeling and submissiveness.

Am I the only one who thought this? How does it help?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Advertisement