Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lets be Frank and Honest

• 20-08-2019 12:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭

This coffee tastes like copier powder ink and boiled water. €2.70 is the most I’ve ever paid for a coffee and it was for this ****e? To be fair to the hipster cafes around here in Thurles and Limerick at least you can taste it and it’s only avg €2.30. Once you get over the fact they’re hipsters. (That’s for another day)
    Insomnia and Seattle Best coffee aren’t bad too. Musgraves make the SuperValu and Centra stores to sell it unfortunately. I know the owner of the store very well and he’s a very decent bloke.
    I’d be complaining too if they gave it away with the petrol I just bought. Wasting water for that ****e.

Rant might be over

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

What coffee and from where?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

What coffee and from where?

Frank and Honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

If we all had the same tastes in coffee the world would be boring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Reminds me of the Police Squad gag.
    "I'll be Frank"
    "Ok but who will I be?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Frank and Honest from Centra/SuperValu. My brother runs a couple of Centra shops and has no option but to sell this stuff as it is pushed by Musgraves. Brutal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I’m a mild man meself, go for a number 6 pod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Ya it's a pretty poor coffee alright. You'd think a big store like Centra would taste the coffee before it goes into all their stores but apparently not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Frank and Honest

Awful muck. The flat white used to be adequate up to about a year ago, but it's really poor nowadays. I suspect that Musgraves may have switched to an inferior blend of coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

There's a special app for all you coffee lovers called Grindr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bif

Was ok when it came out first. It has really deteriorated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Insomnia is the worst, and it costs something like €3.40 for a latte from there now, mental.

whiskeyman wrote: »

And one for whiskymen like you called Wankr!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

All this coffee culture stuff is a bit of a whizz, isn’t it? It’s a caffeinated hot beverage.

All this coffee culture stuff is a bit of a whizz, isn’t it? It’s a caffeinated hot beverage.

Ever heard of a frappuccino?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Insomnia and Seattle Best coffee aren’t bad too. ...

If that muck is the best Seattle has to offer then it doesn't say much for that state!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭GRACKEA

I find all the chain coffees really burnt, and bitter. Kind of watery Italian style. And way too big. I remember having a medium cappuccino from Starbucks and could've swam in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

OP you should try Nescafé instant. It sounds like your type of coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Double hot chocolate from the self service machines rocks

In France they call the Americano 'Jus de Chaussette' (sock gravy), which to me sums up Frank and Honest perfectly.

Lavazza instant is better than 90% of barista coffees.

Fact.

• Advertisement

Fact.

Seconded.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Java republic is my favourite and usually only 2 euro to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Fact.

I saw a Lavazza branded vending machine in ? Euro Giant ? ( at least one chains like E.G. ) and wondered what the coffee would be like ?

Given the strength of the Lavazza brand I cant see that they would try to flog muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Anyone ever go into 3FE? Overpriced shyte sold by snooty hipster plebs.

Do the staff in there get special training to make them ****, or do they just have a policy of employing ****?

- Sorry could you add some boiling water to my coffee please? It's cold

- [eyeroll] Loike, it's loike supposed to be that temperature, maaan

Well I didn't do the same 2 day barista course that you did to get off the dole after your second class arts degree so I'll have to bow to your superior coffee knowlege there, but anyway, my coffee is fking cold, so add hot water to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

I actually think Frank & honest is one of the better ones.

Costa is reasonable as well.

Insomnia is yuck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I like seattles best, of all the service station coffees.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

When Frank & Honest first came out, I actually thought it was nice. However, I was drinking a lot of freeze-dried ****e for a while there. Now, I'm making nice coffee via the auld DeLonghi! Took me about a month to find the right coffee but now I have it down to a fine art. Every cup is magical.

When I'm not at home being a coffee snob, I'm buying Insomnia from Spar. It's the only coffee I can really get around here. And, it's really grown on me. Had a Frank & Honest there recently and quite frankly, it's ****e and I honestly didn't realise how bad it was. I think it's just one elevation better than freeze-dried Nescafe but way below Insomnia and/or nice home brewed coffee. However, the people in Insomnia in Spar on Corner of Georges St/Damn St in Dublin used low-fat milk to make the coffee last time. Wasn't too happy about that.

Recently tried Cork Coffee Roasters. Man, that's nice. If you ever are in Cork go there. Lovely coffee in a lovely coffeeshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Sky King wrote: »
    Anyone ever go into 3FE? Overpriced shyte sold by snooty hipster plebs.

Do the staff in there get special training to make them ****, or do they just have a policy of employing ****?

- Sorry could you add some boiling water to my coffee please? It's cold

- [eyeroll] Loike, it's loike supposed to be that temperature, maaan

Well I didn't do the same 2 day barista course that you did to get off the dole after your second class arts degree so I'll have to bow to your superior coffee knowlege there, but anyway, my coffee is fking cold, so add hot water to it.

I got a refund from that place. Your man took about 10 minutes to make it, and poured it from a teapot. It was cold and tasted of ditch water. Just wanted a good strong cup of joe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

I quite like the flat white but I usually get it in the bigger cup and add hot water and milk. I know that technically changes it from a flat but it still tastes different to an americano. The 2.70 kills me though.
    My local lidl have a coffee vending machine now, no messing with sugar,milk or stirrers, you choose sugar/milk and it's all added as its dispensed. It's so handy. The best part is that it's only a euro and in the entrance so you dont even have to go in to the shop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

We really shouldn’t be paying more than 1€ for a coffee. Which is what the cost is in places where coffee was always a common drink and you don’t get too many options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

I'm a fairly recent coffee drinker and only take lattes (or those amazing cold sugary coffee milkshake yokes) so I am no expert, but I quite like the Frank and Honest ones.

I guess people have different preferences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Starbucks coffee is absolute sh!t - complete scutter, no idea why it's so popular.

Tim Horton's is also scutter.

fineso.mom wrote: »
    I quite like the flat white but I usually get it in the bigger cup and add hot water and milk. I know that technically changes it from a flat but it still tastes different to an americano. The 2.70 kills me though.
    My local lidl have a coffee vending machine now, no messing with sugar,milk or stirrers, you choose sugar/milk and it's all added as its dispensed. It's so handy. The best part is that it's only a euro and in the entrance so you dont even have to go in to the shop.

I was too proud to mention that! The missus loves their hot chocolate and their latte macchiato isn't half bad - and only a euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Rank and dishonest, out of all of the vending machine type coffees, it is one of the worst to my taste Buds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I'd be in major agreement, Frank & Honest is an awful load of shyte coffee. Some of the worst i've had. Horrible crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭oLoonatic

You've no idea of the sh1te the stores have to go through to actually have that in their stores too. Its a nightmare from the time its ordered to the time you taste it. it really put a dent in insomnia though. Hopefully the next big coffee push is decent stuff !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

My local shop changed from spar to supervalu so now they have Frank and honest instead of Insomnia, i wasn't mad on Insomnia but the new stuff is even worse. There's a small local coffeeshop up the road that serves far nicer coffees but at a premium price.

I've one of those Dolce Gusto machines at home and I'm actually hooked on them, must be drinking 4 or 5 a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Could be worse, it could be Starbucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

oLoonatic wrote: »
    You've no idea of the sh1te the stores have to go through to actually have that in their stores too. Its a nightmare from the time its ordered to the time you taste it. it really put a dent in insomnia though. Hopefully the next big coffee push is decent stuff !!

What do they have to go through out of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

most coffee you get out is over roasted bitter astringent piss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I was only saying the other day that they should do free coffee at mass to get people in the door.

Frankly tastes like tar because let's be honest most customers don't care for gourmet connoisseur blend coffee.

And remember don't use 2 cups. You'll be charged for the extra cup at the till.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I hate frank and honest. Its pure tripe and started trend of 2.50 and upwards coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

What do they have to go through out of interest?

Sh1te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Yeah I agree that Frank and Honest is cat. There's almost a taste of washing up liquid sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

t.

Recently tried Cork Coffee Roasters. Man, that's nice. If you ever are in Cork go there. Lovely coffee in a lovely coffeeshop.

Get asked often to bring the ground coffee from here back home.

Not a coffee drinker myself but its supposed to be the business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

In France they call the Americano 'Jus de Chaussette' (sock gravy), which to me sums up Frank and Honest perfectly.

What shops stock the jus from Alizée's chaussette?

topper75 wrote: »
    What shops stock the jus from Alizée's chaussette?

Les Musgraves, mon pote.

Rank stuff. The only pleasure I've derived from Frank and Honest is the vague hope their coffee man is reading this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

corkgsxr wrote: »
    I hate frank and honest. Its pure tripe and started trend of 2.50 and upwards coffee.

Started long before that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

whiskeyman wrote: »

Thanks, just downloaded it now. Everyone on it seems so friendly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement