Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lets be Frank and Honest

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

Would say Frank and Honest is average, better than many a machine coffee but agree it's not as good as it once was.

Two recent things do annoy me:

1) When I realised it's now 3 fkn euro for a large Americano. Thats outrageous for self service, machine made coffee sold in a paper cup for takeaway.

2) Their current radio ad which is set in a busy coffee shop, with some knob asking 'Can I get a flat white'. Who is he talking to? F&H is self service.

(Am aware there are one of two F&H locations where staff serve coffee, but come on, it's self service 99% of the time).

For reasons above I'll be avoiding F&H if I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

fineso.mom wrote: »
    My local lidl have a coffee vending machine now, no messing with sugar,milk or stirrers, you choose sugar/milk and it's all added as its dispensed. It's so handy. The best part is that it's only a euro and in the entrance so you dont even have to go in to the shop.

Yeah, I was sceptical at first, but the Lidl coffee is feckin lovely! McDonald's coffee is also surprisingly good.

Of the chain brands, I find Caffe Nero the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Lived abroad there, had 30 cent coffee from machine that was delish. Absolutely insane. Prob full of sugar even when getting rid of sugar option but u got a big hold in hand cup and tasted great. I think lidls one might be similar but haven't tried it yet.

McDonald's is decent. F&H is okay has for worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Is F&H just an own brand for Musgraves? I've never seen it anywhere else, and it's pi#s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

My local garage sells Bewleys and for me seems the best around and we have most of the big names near enough but I will always head for the Bewleys ...always the perfect temperature and at €2 good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭jcorr

Get yourself down to the Bald Barista OP. I'm not much of a coffee man, but it's good there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

We really shouldn’t be paying more than 1€ for a coffee. Which is what the cost is in places where coffee was always a common drink and you don’t get too many options.

Paddy will pay any price for any auld muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Taiga

Have any of you ever been misfortunate enough to try Mean Bean coffee? It's everywhere in these parts. It's pure rank. Lots of people say it but still buy it (not me) because it's the business of a hurler.
    Also not a fan of Costa fortune. Don't mind Insomnia or Starbucks and I've never tried Frank and Honest. You can't go wrong with Java.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

I must have bad taste, Frank and Honest is the only coffee outside of the local bewleys stand (seriously tasty) that I really like when not at home. All the others, especially Costa, Starbucks and McDonalds taste like ****e. Even the more hipster or small places don’t do it for me. The bewleys stand is proper class, then Frank and Honest for me.

Costa is probably my most hated, never have got a nice cup in there, everything tastes like muc.

Different strokes different folks and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Bewleys for Americano or Essence for milk drinks for me.

Frank and honest tastes sour. Generic muck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

god who in their right mind buys the muck thsts passed off as coffee in this country?

tea only here and only tescos and only at home. i seriously resent paying 2.50+ for a tea bag and water.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭blackwave

I do like their Nespresso capsules it must be said.

blackwave wrote: »
    I do like their Nespresso capsules it must be said.
    That's Nespresso though?

Unless F&H do capsules too. If that's good, and thr in-shop coffee is disgusting, they're probably not cleaning the machines properly.

Most coffee isnt awful. If your coffee is getting worse and worse, and the brand hasn't changed, it's probably your filthy machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Tv advert yesterday said they now have coffee in a.
    A tea bag, but with grinded coffee in it instead.
    A coffee bag.

Can't believe it took until 2019 for this to happen. 50yrs since man walked on the moon.

* FWIW: Wouldn't touch anything consumable in plastic, that has boiled water poured over/in it.
    On the rare occasion of a tea the bag gets emptied before going in the cup.

One exception is posher brands that have unbleached bio-degradable.
    Ain't no polyethylene terephthalate bags for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Recently tried Cork Coffee Roasters. Man, that's nice. If you ever are in Cork go there. Lovely coffee in a lovely coffeeshop.
    Nicest coffee ever.

But yeah there are instant coffees that are nicer than some ground ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Danonino. wrote: »
    Costa is probably my most hated, never have got a nice cup in there, everything tastes like muc.

Im not a big fan of coffee as i prefer tea but Costa coffee is lovely, miles better than Starbucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

whiskeyman wrote: »
    There's a special app for all you coffee lovers called Grindr.

I use that quite often, makes it easier to find all different types from skinny flat whites to rich and dark. TBH there's nothing better than a dark roast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Coffee Central in the English Market in Cork, far and away the best coffee I've had in Ireland. €2 for a large coffee. Their beans are roasted by McCabes in Wicklow.
    MaccieD's have the second best coffee in Cork.
    Tim Hortons was decent machine coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

I'm shamelessly going to piggyback off this thread to denounce the shrivelled, bitter, faded, tasteless, excuse for raspberries that are imported from Spain/Morocco/Portugal and sold in Centra.

If you're lucky, they'll have the Irish grown ones in stock which are visibly much plumper, more vibrant and taste sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

We really shouldn’t be paying more than 1€ for a coffee. Which is what the cost is in places where coffee was always a common drink and you don’t get too many options.

There’s a garage over near the airport which took in €1 million + last year just from coffee sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Sky King wrote: »
    Anyone ever go into 3FE? Overpriced shyte sold by snooty hipster plebs.

Do the staff in there get special training to make them ****, or do they just have a policy of employing ****?

- Sorry could you add some boiling water to my coffee please? It's cold

- [eyeroll] Loike, it's loike supposed to be that temperature, maaan

Well I didn't do the same 2 day barista course that you did to get off the dole after your second class arts degree so I'll have to bow to your superior coffee knowlege there, but anyway, my coffee is fking cold, so add hot water to it.
    "Some vanilla bullsh@t,latte cappa-thing.
    Whatever you got,i don't care"

Larry David

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Butler's is best...but also coffee seems to taste nicer from a takeaway cup than a mug...no idea why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

Ok being Frank and Honest, if you hate it that much, buy some other brand. Life is too short to be stressing over coffee..... frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Greyfox wrote: »
    Im not a big fan of coffee as i prefer tea but Costa coffee is lovely, miles better than Starbucks.

It’s definitely a different strokes different folks thing, Costa to me tastes... I can’t explain it. Synthetic or something, like if you made a coffee then put just the tiniest hint of Daz in it or something.

Funny thing is a lot of people say the same about F+H but I get a little hazelnutty/Caramalised taste that I don’t get from any other coffee that I really like.

Still the local Bewleys stand (the kiosk in Waterford) makes imo the perfect coffee :) It’s out of all the places around the one I’ve never been dissapointed by and always return. BUT I have had a terrible cup that tasted like washing up liquid from a bewleys in Dublin city center :/

The worst coffee I ever had? ‘Twas a cappuccino I got in Starbucks super early before work around George’s street when I was working in Dublin, I REAAALLY wanted a coffee, was opening the store and had I’d say 3 sips before binning it. Was the only time I refused to finish something. Usually I’d drink liquidated ****e before I’d throw 2+ quid away but fvck me was it bad.

Danonino. wrote: »
    It’s definitely a different strokes different folks thing, Costa to me tastes... I can’t explain it. Synthetic or something, like if you made a coffee then put just the tiniest hint of Daz in it or something.

Funny thing is a lot of people say the same about F+H but I get a little hazelnutty/Caramalised taste that I don’t get from any other coffee that I really like.

Still the local Bewleys stand (the kiosk in Waterford) makes imo the perfect coffee :) It’s out of all the places around the one I’ve never been dissapointed by and always return. BUT I have had a terrible cup that tasted like washing up liquid from a bewleys in Dublin city center :/

The worst coffee I ever had? ‘Twas a cappuccino I got in Starbucks super early before work around George’s street when I was working in Dublin, I REAAALLY wanted a coffee, was opening the store and had I’d say 3 sips before binning it. Was the only time I refused to finish something. Usually I’d drink liquidated ****e before I’d throw 2+ quid away but fvck me was it bad.

With the bewleys it all depends and probably the same with all coffee machines on how well it’s cleaned and maintained. I am lucky with local shop they seem to keep it in good order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I've never heard of Frank and Honest, never come across it but then I'm rarely in a centra

Local spar has Tim hortons and it's rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

That's Nespresso though?

Unless F&H do capsules too. If that's good, and thr in-shop coffee is disgusting, they're probably not cleaning the machines properly.

Most coffee isnt awful. If your coffee is getting worse and worse, and the brand hasn't changed, it's probably your filthy machine.

I actually think this is a problem with Frank and Honest.
    I like their coffee but I seem to be getting a sour taste from it lately, seems like sour milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

harr wrote: »
    My local garage sells Bewleys and for me seems the best around and we have most of the big names near enough but I will always head for the Bewleys ...always the perfect temperature and at €2 good value.

I wonder is this my local garage?! Because I was literally going to post this exact thing.

I've tried them all From Badger and Dildo to **** and Honest and the Bewley's from the petrol station near me gaff is the nicest and best value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭ollkiller

harr wrote: »
    With the bewleys it all depends and probably the same with all coffee machines on how well it’s cleaned and maintained. I am lucky with local shop they seem to keep it in good order.

Bewleys supply about 3 cafes on the campus that i work. One of the worst coffee's i've ever tasted. Just rank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Starbucks:

You can have Tall (which means large) grande (which also means large) or Venti which is the only one that doesn't mean large and is the large one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Insomnias coffee tastes like bin juice mixed with AIDS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

vgt.gif

The Nal wrote: »
    Insomnias coffee tastes like bin juice mixed with AIDS
    Thanked for the line :D but don't agree.

It's very much on the tastebuds of the beholder, and how it's prepared. I used to think Java Republic was awful in UCC. Then I started buying coffee in Cafe Gusto in Cork. Found their cappuccinos marvellous. It was Java Republic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Three Fools in Cork have the nicest cappuccinos I've tasted in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Someone in work keeps ordering Starbucks dark roast for our coffee machine, it tastes like caffeinated carbon water. Awful ****e.

Looks like the one thing we are all united on is that Starbucks is dishwater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Raconteuse wrote: »

I genuinely don’t know how it is so popular. It annoys me that there are Starbucks and Costas popping up all over the country.

And COSTA is Dross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Butler's is best...but also coffee seems to taste nicer from a takeaway cup than a mug...no idea why.
    The planet disagrees with you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

I’d like a blind test on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

It was a very bad day for Irish coffee drinkers when Centra had this forced upon them. As a frequent breakfast roll, sandwich and coffee buyer I now now avoid Centra along with establishments serving Costa coffee. For me the issue is not quality but the ever upwards price creep that has been unleashed. Thankfully there are still plenty of places I can go to for a proper cup of takeaway coffee at a reasonable price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

mbur wrote: »
    It was a very bad day for Irish coffee drinkers when Centra had this forced upon them. As a frequent breakfast roll, sandwich and coffee buyer I now now avoid Centra along with establishments serving Costa coffee. For me the issue is not quality but the ever upwards price creep that has been unleashed. Thankfully there are still plenty of places I can go to for a proper cup of takeaway coffee at a reasonable price.

Centra has gone to the dogs completely in the last few years. Their delis used to be pretty good, it seemed that each store was independent and had relatively good quality food on offer. Now it’s the same plastic muck in every centra in every town in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Centra has gone to the dogs completely in the last few years. Their delis used to be pretty good, it seemed that each store was independent and had relatively good quality food on offer. Now it’s the same plastic muck in every centra in every town in the country.

Musgraves are useless, see the same destruction of the old superquin stores.
    Frank and honest is muck, but even a teabag and hot water was 2€ last time i in one, travesty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

mbur wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Advertisement

What are people paying for a takeaway coffee (black) ? My local garage was €2 for years and just recently upped it €2.10 or still €2 if you have your own travel mug. It’s a decent Bewleys coffee as well.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Would rather go to the smaller, independent cafes than waste my time and money in these chain cafes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Frank and Honest is by far the worst petrol station coffee I have ever had. Genuinely influences which petrol stations I will go to.

Bif wrote: »
    Was ok when it came out first. It has really deteriorated.

Is this another pun on Grindr?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Esquires used to be ok if I remember right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement