Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting paid extra to teach remotely

Options
  • 20-08-2019 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

hi all

welcome back after the summer I hope you had a nice break, and are energised and ready to face the staff room and first staff meeting

I am just beginning to launch a remote teaching project offering remote teaching lessons in certain subjects and was looking for feedback from teachers and principals.
    q1 How would feel about offering remote teaching services ifyou had a free period?
    q2 Would you participate in a pilot project?
    q3 Is there a situation where you have heard of no qualified teacher being able to deliver a class?

sample text Looking for a flexible, remote teaching opportunity? We are seeking passionate educators to teach several secondary subjects online

Why Teach with us?
    Flexibility with no commute and no minimum hours - you can teach part-time
    Curriculum provided so that you can focus on just teaching
    Exclusive voluntary workshops to develop and fine-tune your teaching skills both inside and outside of the test platform
    Earn up to x/hr plus the opportunity to earn more through referral bonuses, teaching incentives and other promotions
    Enthusiastic and supportive community of 100+ teachers
    Optional local events and quarterly conferences

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

hi all

welcome back after the summer I hope you had a nice break, and are energised and ready to face the staff room and first staff meeting

I am just beginning to launch a remote teaching project offering remote teaching lessons in certain subjects and was looking for feedback from teachers and principals.
    q1 How would feel about offering remote teaching services ifyou had a free period?
    q2 Would you participate in a pilot project?
    q3 Is there a situation where you have heard of no qualified teacher being able to deliver a class?

sample text Looking for a flexible, remote teaching opportunity? We are seeking passionate educators to teach several secondary subjects online

Why Teach with us?
    Flexibility with no commute and no minimum hours - you can teach part-time
    Curriculum provided so that you can focus on just teaching
    Exclusive voluntary workshops to develop and fine-tune your teaching skills both inside and outside of the test platform
    Earn up to x/hr plus the opportunity to earn more through referral bonuses, teaching incentives and other promotions
    Enthusiastic and supportive community of 100+ teachers
    Optional local events and quarterly conferences

On the face of it its a good idea.

In reality you can't replace a real live teacher with a broadcast of a lesson. You'd still need a supervising teacher present also.

Equally, the teaching day is very busy. I don't know if it would be possible to do your teaching, marking, prep etc. and do this additional work also.

Where would you do it? In the school? Using school resources to teach kids in another school? Seems bizarre at best.

If you're booked to do an online lesson and something happens in your previous lesson or you have to stand in for a colleague or something how would that work - I assume the same level of punctuality etc. Would be required.

As an after school grinds type thing, yes. In school, no. In my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

On the face of it its a good idea.

In reality you can't replace a real live teacher with a broadcast of a lesson. You'd still need a supervising teacher present also.

Equally, the teaching day is very busy. I don't know if it would be possible to do your teaching, marking, prep etc. and do this additional work also.

Where would you do it? In the school? Using school resources to teach kids in another school? Seems bizarre at best.

If you're booked to do an online lesson and something happens in your previous lesson or you have to stand in for a colleague or something how would that work - I assume the same level of punctuality etc. Would be required.

As an after school grinds type thing, yes. In school, no. In my opinion.

I'd agree with all of this.

I can't even imagine being able to sit in my lab in peace for 40 minutes teaching lesson remotely without someone coming in and interrupting. You can't just tell a member of staff to leave as you are teaching a private lesson. I think the school day is too unpredictable to be able to plan for something regular during the school day.

I also think schools would take a dim view of teachers teaching private lessons on school time even if it was during a free class. There's too many things that crop up in a school day to commit to it. Student does something in your class that requires some disciplinary action and follow up after class, principal lands in and asks if you can meet parent who is downstairs, photocopier was broken this morning when you came in and had planned to get stuff done for the afternoon classes, so now the only time to do it is the free class in the middle of the day......

Not sure how it could work on the other end when someone would have to be supervising a class as they couldn't be left alone just watching a teacher on a screen. How would a teacher be paid for this when a teacher has to be paid to supervise as well?

it might work for grinds as evening work, cannot see how this would work during the regular school day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

There was something on the news or Nationwide, maybe, a few months ago showing this already in operation for island schools.

A VEC I worked for was trialling something similar for extra tuition around ten years ago. It was called Reach a Teacher I think. The teachers were in Asia. I was paid to sit supervising them while a teacher in India taught them my subject. It was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

perhaps a good money making scheme for grinds thats as far as it would go though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I don't see it as being feasible for teachers who are currently teaching, but it might be feasible for teachers who are not in school, for whatever reason.

If the money was right, I'm sure you'd find people who'd rather teach remotely, from home, than deal with people in person, colleagues, s&s, etc.

Advertisement