Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed cameras on google maps

Options
  • 20-08-2019 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭

Is there any database or map of all the speed cameras on google maps anywhere.
    Just thinking when i am going somewhere it would be nice to have Google maps on and to get a notification of possible speed cameras zone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Never seen it on google maps. I believe waze has this feature built in to the app. You can also report the location of go safe vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭tphase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Aren't they signposted as well?

only when you enter them. The end of the zone is not signposted

• Registered Users Posts: 25,424 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Tom Tom have a mobile app (Go mobile) with a €20 annual subscription, it alerts you when you are entering a speed camera zone. Maps are all downloaded so the only data transfer is live traffic and updates to speed camera locations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭vandriver

Do we have any fixed speed cameras left?
    I thought it was all speed vans these days.

vandriver wrote: »
    Do we have any fixed speed cameras left?
    I thought it was all speed vans these days.

I haven't seen a fixed camera in a long time. The areas that the Gardai and the GoSafe vans pay special attention to are published on garda.ie (link below) so Garmin, Tom Tom etc. can feature the zones on their maps.

https://www.garda.ie/en/Roads-Policing/Safety-Cameras/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The GoSafe locations are signed. Gardai can setup anywhere they want, but they still stay away from the dangerous roads and shoot fish in a barrel.

This App beeps and warns you when you enter a speed check area. But it doesn't know if its active or not.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.althinking.safetycameraloc

I found thie easiet way to avoid speed traps is to set my cruise control at the limit by GPS and then concentrate on the driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Google maps have a feature now where you can report a speed van location, so other road users will know exactly where it is.

It's kinda a like more modern version of flashing the lights :)

CiniO wrote: »
    Google maps have a feature now where you can report a speed van location, so other road users will know exactly where it is.

It's kinda a like more modern version of flashing the lights :)

Is that not Waze? Which is owed by Google. I've never seen a report option on Google Maps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Del2005 wrote: »
    Is that not Waze? Which is owed by Google. I've never seen a report option on Google Maps.

https://www.newsweek.com/google-maps-speed-trap-mean-alert-how-report-new-features-iphone-android-1441141

It's possible though, that this feature is not available in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭kala85

I prefer Google maps.
    Just don't like the interface on waze.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I played around with Tom Tom speed cameras app. They only report on the speed enforcement zones like whats listed on the garda website, they don't report on specific known locations where Gardai and go safe vans have actually been seen...80% of those speed enforcement zones have never seen a speed trap imo. I know many roads wheres the gardai hide around on a regular basis doing speed detection and none of them are on the Tom Tom camera app.

I played around with Tom Tom speed cameras app. They only report on the speed enforcement zones like whats listed on the garda website, they don't report on specific known locations where Gardai and go safe vans have actually been seen.

When you're driving with the Tom Tom Go app and you pass a speed van, you can tap the arrow on the screen and a popup menu offers you the option 'report speed camera' How long they keep that spot flagged as an active speed trap I dont know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

I got a Garmin sat nav from CEX for €30 with free lifetime maps. I put the OSM maps on and also the 2019 Garmin maps and went from Mayo to Monaghan. It reported all safety van zones on the way but I spotted 1 Garda speed trap which it didn't report.
    It's a far better option than Google maps which I find often tells me turn just after I passed the turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

I rely a bit on facebook, I joined two groups that covers most of my travel areas. Before I set off anywhere I just go onto the group page and see if anyone has reported any speed vans. Of course its not 100% reliable but then common sense should be used to not go above the speed limit in these zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 KingBot

Would you all not just travel at the legal speed limit. No need to worry then and other road users are safe too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

KingBot wrote: »
    Would you all not just travel at the legal speed limit. No need to worry then and other road users are safe too.
    Is that you Shane Ross ? :P

Emmersonn wrote: »
    Is that you Shane Ross ? :P

Nope. Just a father of 3 boys under 5 who travels from Dublin to Letterfrack regularly and is shocked at the speed some people are going past when I am doing the limit + 10km or so over the limit some times. The cars are still blemming past doing at least 180 or more.

Nope. Just a father of 3 boys under 5 who travels from Dublin to Letterfrack regularly and is shocked at the speed some people are going past when I am doing the limit + 10km or so over the limit some times. The cars are still blemming past doing at least 180 or more.
    so it's OK for you to break the limit (only by 10kph and obviously when you feel it's safe to do so) but everyone else should obey them?

• Advertisement

tphase wrote: »
    so it's OK for you to break the limit (only by 10kph and obviously when you feel it's safe to do so) but everyone else should obey them?

Yes, safe to do 10km or so over. Trying to find out where cams are so you can stop speeding is insanity though. A big difference between 10km over and 60km over no? Or are you just trying to be argumentative and defend your excessive speeding?

KingBot wrote:
    KingBot wrote:
    Yes, safe to do 10km or so over. Trying to find out where cams are so you can stop speeding is insanity though. A big difference between 10km over and 60km over no? Or are you just trying to be argumentative and defend your excessive speeding?

10kph over will still attract points and a fine, if you're caught. Presumably you'd be happy enough with that. Or you could just stick to the speed limits like you expect the rest of us to do

Waze is better for reporting issues but not enough people use it here for it to be effective. I've seen the reports of Google maps having similar features and the ability to use voice to report them but it's not on my phone yet. The issue with Waze, and Google maps when the features are turned on, is that it requires someone to report the check so you can't rely on it as you could be the 1st vehicle to approach the check. Its easier to just set your cruise control to the limit and not worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Here’s the problem. Apparentlly these cameras are costing the state so they will be placed in areas where they will get as much revenue as they can rather than safety to keep the debt down. Also because of that you’ll probably get done for doing 1/2km over the limit.

Modern cars are so torquey that if you take your eyes off the speedo for a couple of seconds it’s very easy for a car to wander 5km over the limit without noticing it. Most tickets are probably issued to these awful dangerous individuals that are going to cause absolute carnage on the roads ;-)

tphase wrote: »

10kph over will still attract points and a fine, if you're caught. Presumably you'd be happy enough with that. Or you could just stick to the speed limits like you expect the rest of us to do

Garda themselves said there is a 10% allowance with their own cams. 120km = 12km over the speed limit. All within the safe zones.

Garda themselves said there is a 10% allowance with their own cams. 120km = 12km over the speed limit. All within the safe zones.

The gardai these days are like robots , i can tell you now a lot of them will do you for 122kmhr just to get their ticket wrote out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

when I am doing the limit + 10km or so over the limit some times.

So keep to the speed limit, but also don't?
    Bit hypocritical to be telling everyone they should be sticking to the limits, only to admit speeding yourself..

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Here’s the problem. Apparentlly these cameras are costing the state so they will be placed in areas where they will get as much revenue as they can rather than safety to keep the debt down. Also because of that you’ll probably get done for doing 1/2km over the limit.

Modern cars are so torquey that if you take your eyes off the speedo for a couple of seconds it’s very easy for a car to wander 5km over the limit without noticing it. Most tickets are probably issued to these awful dangerous individuals that are going to cause absolute carnage on the roads ;-)

Modern cars aren't torquey, you can't start a modern diesel in 2nd anymore. EVs are the only cars with torque.

With the built in over reading of speed if you drift over the limit on your speedo you won't be 5km/h over the speed limit.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Modern cars aren't torquey, you can't start a modern diesel in 2nd anymore. EVs are the only cars with torque.

With the built in over reading of speed if you drift over the limit on your speedo you won't be 5km/h over the speed limit.

Modern cars especially diesels at 80 km and above are torquey and very easy to drift over speeds. I know, i have access to 3 diesel cars. Stop talking nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Here’s the problem. Apparentlly these cameras are costing the state so they will be placed in areas where they will get as much revenue as they can rather than safety to keep the debt down.

Horse****. The spots are selected with the aid of the RSA and are signposted (you can get them downloaded directly to your sat nav, this is facilitated by the gardai) and have a daft low detection range.

You'd want to have serious issues if you miss a go safe van. But then again you'd most likely have some issues around mental agility if you blame someone else for something entirely within your own control.

Advertisement