Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed cameras on google maps

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Horse****. The spots are selected with the aid of the RSA and are signposted (you can get them downloaded directly to your sat nav, this is facilitated by the gardai) and have a daft low detection range.

You'd want to have serious issues if you miss a go safe van. But then again you'd most likely have some issues around mental agility if you blame someone else for something entirely within your own control.

Maybe you don’t know what horse**** actually means? I know for fact of 2 roads where there was never a collision ( in my 49 years of existance) that are assigned, nice wide straights with a low speed limit for the area, 60kmhr that should be 80 kmhr.

Secondly theres a black spot i know of, someone recently killed but they decided to assigned a zone a mile down from the blackspot on a straight 60kmhr stretch, one i can never recall a collision on either.

If it’s not about revenue it must be the RSA members that need educating a bit better.

Oh i agree on one thing they are easy to spot, hence i haven’t been caught in 15 years and i drive 1000 miles a week.

I won’t mention about the gards sitting in handy areas to boost their ticket qouta instead of actually sitting on a dangerous road.

You can call it horse**** all day long, i see it everyday.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

KingBot wrote: »
    Garda themselves said there is a 10% allowance with their own cams. 120km = 12km over the speed limit. All within the safe zones.

Speed limit + 10km does not equal 10%. 60km + 10km = 70Km. 60km +10% =66km

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Are the new speed spots signposted?

Google maps doesn't tell you where they are, can it be added?

Or which ones tell you where they are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

FFVII wrote: »
    Are the new speed spots signposted?

No, and in fact the existing ones are being removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Has anyone figured out how to get the speed enforcement zones to show up on Google maps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭tphase

No, and in fact the existing ones are being removed.
    must get one before they end up in the dump

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

keano25 wrote: »
    Has anyone figured out how to get the speed enforcement zones to show up on Google maps?

My understanding of this feature it is beta and it that it only appears in certain markets. For example, we got it in Canada for a while and before that, it was only available on Android versions.

I'd recommend Waze over Google for this functionality as generally users of Waze are more astute in keeping things updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Regarding Waze, as we don't have fixed cameras it is reliant on user reports, and they should be marked as "Police - Visible" rather than a speed camera (as that is for fixed cameras only).

From the UK editing guide, but the same rules apply to Ireland:

https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/UnitedKingdom/Speed_Cameras#Speed_Cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Regarding Waze, as we don't have fixed cameras it is reliant on user reports, and they should be marked as "Police - Visible" rather than a speed camera (as that is for fixed cameras only).

Waze is great if people use it properly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,233 ✭✭✭highdef

Akabusi wrote: »
    common sense should be used to not go above the speed limit in these zones.

Excuse me if I sound silly but would common sense be to not go above the speed limit in ALL zones, not just some? Exceeding the speed limit in some zones does not sound like common sense to me. It reeks of stupidity.

• Advertisement

Lads please don't turn this into a you shouldn't be speeding thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I use waze pretty regularly and find it very helpful - you can see the increase in reports when using it on a busy route or at a busy time.

Tipping along at 3am its probably not much help but on a bank holiday or evening/morning commute it can be very helpful.

I'd suggest using it for a month when were back on the road and see how you get on.

I use Waze.. would just like to have the zones also the TomTom speed camera app doesn't have any new zones on it

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Lads, this is what OP have requested.
    Don't go offtopic please.
    kala85 wrote: »
    I prefer Google maps.
    Just don't like the interface on waze.

On topic, OP see if you can enable speed limits on Google Maps.
    https://techcrunch.com/2019/05/29/google-maps-adds-ability-to-see-speed-limits-and-speed-traps-in-40-countries/
    but it doesn't seem to be available in Ireland yet

• Registered Users Posts: 25,424 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

keano25 wrote: »
    I use Waze.. would just like to have the zones also the TomTom speed camera app doesn't have any new zones on it

Hope this doesn't count as going OT but the TomTom Amigo app is superb. It alerts you when you're entering and leaving an enforcement zone and the alarm for exceding the limit within such a zone is way more aggressive than if you're above the limit outside an enforcement zone.

But they haven't updated the maps with the new speed zones which were published in Feb. last. I reported it a few days ago on a TT discussion forum and a mod. said it would be reported to the development team....

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1123167/irish-speed-camera-locations-not-updated

coylemj wrote: »
    Hope this doesn't count as going OT but the TomTom Amigo app is superb. It alerts you when you're entering and leaving an enforcement zone and the alarm for exceding the limit within such a zone is way more aggressive than if you're above the limit outside an enforcement zone.

But they haven't updated the maps with the new speed zones which were published in Feb. last. I reported it a few days ago on a TT discussion forum and a mod. said it would be reported to the development team....

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1123167/irish-speed-camera-locations-not-updated

Yes this is my go to app but was looking at Google due to it not being updated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Waze on iOS/CarPlay in Ireland only has a single Police, no speed camera option

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Makes sense, as we don't have any fixed cameras and that is what that report type is intended for.

Advertisement