Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

change of contract

Options
  • 20-08-2019 4:12pm

I have just started a new job 3 weeks ago which is weekly paid. I signed a contract and have been weekly paid for the last 3 weeks.

Today I was told it was the wrong contract and I am to be monthly paid. This week will be my last pay and I wont get paid again until 27 September.

I signed the contract based on the job being weekly paid as are all the other staff. Apparently there is a new practice being brought in of any new staff being monthly paid. I have already budgeted for weekly pay and will find it very hard to make this week's pay last until September 27th.

What are the legalities here? Please don't say I'm lucky to have a job and to be paid at all :rolleyes: - I just want to know where I stand as I have already signed a contract on the condition of weekly pay. Can they just tear that up?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Get a small loan from your bank or a friend. Or if you have a credit card use it for all purchases til payday (purchases should be interest free if the cc bill is paid on time)

Suck it up, in other words. Seems like an honest mistake from the company. I find it hard to believe you'd turn down a job because it was a monthly salary instead of a weekly wage.

antix80 wrote: »
    Get a small loan from your bank or a friend. Or if you have a credit card use it for all purchases til payday (purchases should be interest free if the cc bill is paid on time)

Suck it up, in other words. Seems like an honest mistake from the company. I find it hard to believe you'd turn down a job because it was a monthly salary instead of a weekly wage.

Where did I say I’d turn down a job if it was monthly paid? :confused:

I said I signed the contract based on the information I was given in writing :weekly paid. Simple . I didn’t say I won’t continue to work as monthly paid . I simply asked where I stood in terms of the legality of the contract. Everyone currently working there is weekly paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭corkboy38

This is very common in nearly every work place. some staff get paid weekly and some monthly depending on the area of the business.

Mistakes happen, move along.

corkboy38 wrote: »
    This is very common in nearly every work place. some staff get paid weekly and some monthly depending on the area of the business.

Mistakes happen, move along.

Yes was thinking that . Any other job I’ve been in was monthly paid so I’m more familiar with that, weekly was nice however and easier to manage for the last few weeks :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Where did I say I’d turn down a job if it was monthly paid? :confused:

Are you really so confused at the point i was making? :confused:

Non issue. Move along

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Understand completely. If you had known it was monthly you could have budgeted better.

Maybe ask them if you can stay weekly for September and start monthly from October.

Then you can plan it better and possibly change some payments

If you have a mortgage, it's very easy to change from early month to late month (takes a phone call)

Some other payments can be changed just as easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭Augme

Take a loan to cover the companies mistake? Must be having a laugh. The company made the mistake so the employee should not be punished for it.

Tell them as you had budgeted for weekly pay you don't have the money to cover yourself over for the next month so would it be okay if you were paid weekly for the next 4 weeks so you can budget accordingly for being switched to monthly pay come over October.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Augme wrote: »
    Take a loan to cover the companies mistake? Must be having a laugh. The company made the mistake so the employee should not be punished for it.

Tell them as you had budgeted for weekly pay you don't have the money to cover yourself over for the next month so would it be okay if you were paid weekly for the next 4 weeks so you can budget accordingly for being switched to monthly pay come over October.

For the love of all that is good - do not be telling your employer that you are so close to the wire financially that you need to be paid weekly! You want them to trust you, not to regard you as financially incompetent.

(Something to think about: what would happen if you got sick and couldn't work for a couple of weeks? Sure you would get invalid's benefit - eventually - but its not enough to live on .)

For the love of all that is good - do not be telling your employer that you are so close to the wire financially that you need to be paid weekly! You want them to trust you, not to regard you as financially incompetent.

(Something to think about: what would happen if you got sick and couldn't work for a couple of weeks? Sure you would get invalid's benefit - eventually - but its not enough to live on .)

Thanks for your comment Mrs OBumble. To be honest I couldn’t care less what the company think of my finances. It’s none of their business what my personal circumstances are and how many family and personal outgoings I may have !
    (i.e. I have a very ill family member that we in the family are having to buy expensive medical aids for at the moment -€550 per person this month for a special mobility chair ).

I don’t understand how me being stuck if they don’t pay me for the next 5 weeks (when I budgeted for weekly pay) has anything to do with them trusting me ??
    My commute alone costs €80 a week , that’s €400 before I get paid again .

On the illness/invalidity I’m not too sure .....but I’m only in the job 3 weeks so don’t feel it would be a good idea to go off sick already ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭Augme

Augme wrote: »

That's a fairly ridiculous statement to make given you have no how much she earns or her personal circumstances. it would be far more imcompotrnt of the employer to make that can of a judgement based on nothing but but assumptions. In the civil service all clerical officers (starts at 23kish) are paid week to week because expecting people on then level to survive on monthly making it a lot more difficult for them.

Also, it really doesn't matter if an employee is financial imcompondent unless they are in charge of budgets, makes no difference how most employees will perform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭C3PO

I’m very surprised at the negative attitude being shown to the OP by some of the posters on here. The mistake is the employers and unless they are extremely unreasonable they should have no problem in working with the OP to sort it out. The most obvious solution would be an agreed weekly sub which would be deducted from the first monthly pay cheque. Certainly the company I work for would have no issue with this arrangement in order to rectify their mistake!

Advertisement