Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a scam?

• 20-08-2019 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

My sister was shopping yesterday and her debit card was declined twice so she called her bank. They told her that someone had phoned the bank and reported her card as missing. When she quizzed the bank official further he told her that it was a woman who had called; she had my sister's name (in a format only available on her bank statement), address, and bank account number. This woman apparently came a cropper when the official asked for her birthdate and she got that wrong. So they put a red flag on the account. She asked if they had a recording of the call - they did - but unfortunately they didn't have caller ID so they couldn't give her the phone number. She has reported it to the Gardai but they said it happens all the time. Has anyone else had that experience?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

lola1 wrote: »
    My sister was shopping yesterday and her debit card was declined twice so she called her bank. They told her that someone had phoned the bank and reported her card as missing. When she quizzed the bank official further he told her that it was a woman who had called; she had my sister's name (in a format only available on her bank statement), address, and bank account number. This woman apparently came a cropper when the official asked for her birthdate and she got that wrong. So they put a red flag on the account. She asked if they had a recording of the call - they did - but unfortunately they didn't have caller ID so they couldn't give her the phone number. She has reported it to the Gardai but they said it happens all the time. Has anyone else had that experience?

Sounds like someone has access to her post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

lola1 wrote: »
    She has reported it to the Gardai but they said it happens all the time. Has anyone else had that experience?

Sounds like some kind variatiuon on the account take over fraud, to get the bank to send a replacement card and new pin to the fraudster.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭lola1

Yeah, that was my thought too. However, she lives alone in a gated apartment block. She alone has access to her post box. And she's scrupulous about shredding anything with her details on it. It's puzzling and very disquieting. Thanks for the replies.

Advertisement