Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lamping foxes , rabbits

Options
  • 20-08-2019 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

is lamping foxes and rabbits at night allowed , it was brought up in our agm recently and some lads said it’s illegal, first I heard of this , no better place to find out ,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Lamp away once you have land owners permission.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭retro d

Lamp away once you have land owners permission.

Thanks mate that settles that

One more thing since I’m here , I’ve landowner permission shooting foxes , and I’ve shot them during the day with the 6.5 x 55 , but my question is at night can I use this calibre , i know the area I shoot very well and I wouldn’t take a shot at a fox without a proper backstop day or night , and I’m shooting at 100 yards max and the nearest house is 2 km away so I won’t be disturbing anyone , I’m shooting a 6.5 at night so that’s gonna raise alarm bells ,

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

retro d wrote: »
    One more thing since I’m here , I’ve landowner permission shooting foxes , and I’ve shot them during the day with the 6.5 x 55 , but my question is at night can I use this calibre , i know the area I shoot very well and I wouldn’t take a shot at a fox without a proper backstop day or night , and I’m shooting at 100 yards max and the nearest house is 2 km away so I won’t be disturbing anyone , I’m shooting a 6.5 at night so that’s gonna raise alarm bells ,

With foxes there is no minimum legal calibre. You must use something that'll give them a humane death.

Yes using a 6.5 at night isn't a problem although you should only use it to shoot foxes if you had vermin control on your application for the license.

I'm sure some better informed members will post to elaborate on this.

Hi Pigeon man , yes I do have vermin control on all my guns , I have always given them a humane death , even a rat deserves a humane death I hate to see anything suffer , It’s the use of the 6.5 at night I don’t want trouble from Gardaí saying that’s too much of a gun for foxes at night where visibility is less , and given them ideas that I’m shooting deer , you know what I mean

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Lamping anything that doesn't have a season or wings is perfectly legal (and even some things with a season under license). This means vermin, rabbits, foxes, etc. are all fair game.

If you want i can give you the legislation to show the "expert" in your gun club, but suffice to say it's 100% legal.

As for caliber, no limit at all. Once you have a license for the firearm you can use whatever you want.

I've tried writing this a few times and i keep making it more complicated than normal so i'll try this one last time. If you ticked hunting on your FCA1 you're covered to hunt vermin at night with a lamp or by day.

Your gun license ALSO serves as your general license for game during the open seasons. IOW if you have a shotgun & shotgun license you don't need a separate license to hunt pheasant, etc.

There a a couple of exception such as the deer license, foreshore license, section 42, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Thanks Cass ,and it’s legal once you have landowners permission, yes I have ticked the correct boxes where I can shoot vermin, it’s just the use of the 6.5 at night it what I was worried about ,because one of the lads in the club said it was too dangerous to use that calibre at night , I’m shooting a long time and I’m very safety conscious so no worries , Thanks lads

....... it’s just the use of the 6.5 at night it what I was worried about ,because one of the lads in the club said it was too dangerous to use that calibre at night ..........
    I know where the people that say this are coming from. During the day you can see your backstop, and where your bullet will go. At night you may not have this peripheral or long range vision.

However a good knowledge of your permissions, your own ability, and a clear sight picture of your quarry and then bullet size doesn't matter.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭spray____

Cass wrote: »
    I've tried writing this a few times and i keep making it more complicated than normal so i'll try this one last time. If you ticked hunting on your FCA1 you're covered to hunt vermin at night with a lamp or by day.

Your gun license ALSO serves as your general license for game during the open seasons. IOW if you have a shotgun & shotgun license you don't need a separate license to hunt pheasant, etc.

There a a couple of exception such as the deer license, foreshore license, section 42, etc.

Sorry, but this part confuses me. I've been wondering recently about how this works.

When I filled out my licence application, I didn't check hunting, because I expected to only be using it for clays. Now I'm reconsidering. Does this mean I'm not allowed to use it for vermin or hunting? Does a licence reference this somewhere (mine doesn't seem to)?

spray____ wrote: »
    When I filled out my licence application, I didn't check hunting, because I expected to only be using it for clays. Now I'm reconsidering. Does this mean I'm not allowed to use it for vermin or hunting?
    Basically, yes.

When you apply using the FCA1 you have the option to tick Target Shooting, Hunting, Other (which includes Clays as well as vermin shooting, etc). You tick whichever box or boxes are relevant to your application. You may tick one, two or all three. You must provide proof of the intended use of your firearm.

Example #1. For a shotgun you could tick "Other", and "Hunting". This means you intend to use it for clays and hunting, including vermin. If the license is granted you are authorised to go clay shooting and hunting during the open season (duck, pheasant, Hare, and all vermin).

Example #2. For a rifle you may tick target shooting, hunting or Other. Now in the case of rifles Other and Hunting are basically the same so you're best of ticking hunting. You must provide land permissions of gun club membership details to prove you have a good reason for wanting the firearm for this reason. If you tick target shooting you must provide membership details of the authorised range you are a member of.
    Does a licence reference this somewhere (mine doesn't seem to)?
    No.

Any conditions would be on your grant letter that you get before the license. If the grant letter "condition box" is empty then the license has been granted for the reason for which you applied and ONLY those reason(s).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭spray____

Cass wrote: »
    Basically, yes.

When you apply using the FCA1 you have the option to tick Target Shooting, Hunting, Other (which includes Clays as well as vermin shooting, etc). You tick whichever box or boxes are relevant to your application. You may tick one, two or all three. You must provide proof of the intended use of your firearm.

Example #1. For a shotgun you could tick "Other", and "Hunting". This means you intend to use it for clays and hunting, including vermin. If the license is granted you are authorised to go clay shooting and hunting during the open season (duck, pheasant, Hare, and all vermin).

Example #2. For a rifle you may tick target shooting, hunting or Other. Now in the case of rifles Other and Hunting are basically the same so you're best of ticking hunting. You must provide land permissions of gun club membership details to prove you have a good reason for wanting the firearm for this reason. If you tick target shooting you must provide membership details of the authorised range you are a member of.

No.

Any conditions would be on your grant letter that you get before the license. If the grant letter "condition box" is empty then the license has been granted for the reason for which you applied and ONLY those reason(s).

Still a bit confused... The "condition box" you're referring to is the upper one, or the lower one?

IMG-20190823-063211.jpg

I'm guessing the only way to have this amended is to apply for a new licence , or change it on renewal?

Still a bit confused... The "condition box" you're referring to is the upper one, or the lower one?
    The top condition box is just your standard reasons that everyone has to abide by. IOW that the applicant has a good reason for wanting the firearm, has secure accomodation, is not disentitled, and for restricted firearms has met the criteria for applying.

There is no way to amend or "fight" this as its a prerequisite for owning a firearm. Its akin to a condition of getting a driving license being you know what a car is, how to drive it, etc.

The empty one below this is where the Super/Chief Super writes in any other conditions that s/he may feel is required. If the box is empty then there are no further conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

IMG-20190823-063211.jpg

I'm guessing the only way to have this amended is to apply for a new licence , or change it on renewal?

I just sent in a letter saying that I now intent to start hunting but will also continue clay shooting. I attached land permissions and there was no bother. It is unlikely that this would ever become an issue but it is best cover yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

you are allowed to lamp rabbit ,fox once you have permission from the farmer but just inform him you will be coming around at night to lamp see what he says some farmers don't like the idea of lamping. i have one permission from a farmer one of his terms are i'm not allowed to lamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

It’s the use of the 6.5 at night I don’t want trouble from Gardaí saying that’s too much of a gun for foxes at night where visibility is less

Don't worry, the average Guard will be delighted that you only have a 6.5, instead of one of those 22's, or heaven forbid, a 223!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Don't worry, the average Guard will be delighted that you only have a 6.5, instead of one of those 22's, or heaven forbid, a 223!

Garda hate me and my .223. They keep telling me to get a .308 for the rabbits and foxes

Nekarsulm , dodderangler , are you serious about the 22 and 223 that you’d get hassled from Gardaí,? or are ye pulling my leg , 223 is great for foxing probably the most used calibre for it I stand corrected ? And 22 would be also deadly on foxes at appropriate distance of course ,

Nekarsulm , dodderangler , are you serious about the 22 and 223 that you’d get hassled from Gardaí,? or are ye pulling my leg , 223 is great for foxing probably the most used calibre for it I stand corrected ? And 22 would be also deadly on foxes at appropriate distance of course ,

Pulling your leg man.

Pulling your leg man.
    haha good one yere some shower, ye had me confused

haha good one yere some shower, ye had me confused

That’s the hunting community man.
    We’ll always help when we can but we leave some room for banter brother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Twenty two is obviously a much bigger number than Six and a half, so must be a considerably bigger cartridge...

Local gun shop owner swears he had to take out the different cartridges to demonstrate to a Garda, who found it hard to get his head around the difference between a rim fire and a centre fire.

We need More banter the more the merrier

• Registered Users Posts: 32 duckshooter

Yes it’s allowed

Advertisement