Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building works across the main road from Intel Leixlip?

• 20-08-2019 6:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm just wondering if anyone know whats being built there, is it the site of Intel's multi-story car park maybe?

:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭MickH503

They are "moving" the main road towards the canal for a short stretch from the roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The road realignment is to allow for works on the Intel site. The new multistory is already being build on site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

If this is a temporary re-alignment, hopefully when they restore the original, they won't have such an agressively anti-bicycle design. I honestly can't believe how they have gotten away with it up to now (not a cyclist, but have no idea how I'm supposed to pass them, and give them 1m, let alone 1.5m)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,612 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Notionally its temporary but in reality expect it to be permanent. It should meet current DMURS standards but this is Ireland (and KCC specifically!)

http://kildare65.rssing.com/chan-9562939/all_p6.html

The Part 8 planning number seems to be 1011 but I can't find the documents (somewhat ironically with my username!)

It basically gives Intel one contiguous landbank not two either side of a road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Rulmeq wrote: »
    If this is a temporary re-alignment, hopefully when they restore the original, they won't have such an agressively anti-bicycle design. I honestly can't believe how they have gotten away with it up to now (not a cyclist, but have no idea how I'm supposed to pass them, and give them 1m, let alone 1.5m)

You should stay behind them until after the islands and then pass. It is a horrible section to cycle along tho.. hopefully they will continue the cycle lane to kellystown lane as part of the works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

I get a 500 error when I click into the realignment item but I hope the road design solves the issue of traffic going to Intel causing 10-20 minutes worth of tailbacks in the morning around there. Dublin Bus is slow enough even without that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Rulmeq wrote: »
    I honestly can't believe how they have gotten away with it up to now (not a cyclist, but have no idea how I'm supposed to pass them, and give them 1m, let alone 1.5m)

They do what they want

When the Thomas Reid documentary was to be shown in Liffey Valley, allegedly they got it shut down before it was released

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,612 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Eh, Intel don't design the roads. Blame KCC for the quality of the old design, and the new one if still substandard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    They do what they want

When the Thomas Reid documentary was to be shown in Liffey Valley, allegedly they got it shut down before it was released

I can all of a sudden hear the theme tune to looney tunes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

mloc123 wrote: »
    You should stay behind them until after the islands and then pass. It is a horrible section to cycle along tho.. hopefully they will continue the cycle lane to kellystown lane as part of the works
    Hopefully not! Those cycle lanes are crap!
    They get a build up of stones, glass and other crap thrown left by the cars. This means that to safely cycle in them, you have to be close to the white line.
    However, some drivers believe that the white line somehow protects them from hitting cyclists and once they are on "their side" of the line then all is ok - it's not!
    The cycle lane over louisa Bridge itself is a death waiting to happen as the road narrows meaning traffic frequently comes very close to cyclists.
    Segregated cycle lanes or nothing IMO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

L1011 wrote: »
    Notionally its temporary but in reality expect it to be permanent. It should meet current DMURS standards but this is Ireland (and KCC specifically!)

http://kildare65.rssing.com/chan-9562939/all_p6.html

The Part 8 planning number seems to be 1011 but I can't find the documents (somewhat ironically with my username!)

It basically gives Intel one contiguous landbank not two either side of a road

Basically this , Thomas Reid held out, so KCC and intel found another way.

Rumors of some of the trackside land being earmarked for a potential future station but thats more pub talk than anything concrete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Hopefully not! Those cycle lanes are crap!
    They get a build up of stones, glass and other crap thrown left by the cars. This means that to safely cycle in them, you have to be close to the white line.
    However, some drivers believe that the white line somehow protects them from hitting cyclists and once they are on "their side" of the line then all is ok - it's not!
    The cycle lane over louisa Bridge itself is a death waiting to happen as the road narrows meaning traffic frequently comes very close to cyclists.
    Segregated cycle lanes or nothing IMO!

The cycle lane I am referring to is the one from the M4 down to the Intel roundabout. The properly separated ones, this would be ideal if extended around and down to Kellystown lane as part of the works. Apart from the occasional groups of women out walk 3-4 wide across both lanes, I find them quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

mloc123 wrote: »

It really is. Cars cannot get past you safely and there is no way to pull in left far enough to all it. Doesn't stop some cars scraping past you either. Really needs to be designed better when (if) they put it back.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Orion wrote: »
    It really is. Cars cannot get past you safely and there is no way to pull in left far enough to all it. Doesn't stop some cars scraping past you either. Really needs to be designed better when (if) they put it back.
    Hence why I cycle along there in the middle of the lane (as recommended in the Rules of the Road).
    This is completely legal and much safer than cycling towards the left of the lane which only encourages drivers to overtake dangerously

Advertisement