Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does every new TV now have Soarview?

• 20-08-2019 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

Possibly a stupid question but I've been living abroad for a while I'm not sure how it works.

My Mam has cancelled Sky so she can't get any channels now.

Wondering is the best option just getting a new TV that has the Saorview channels and as in thread title do all new TVs have these built in now?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

If it's new and has an RF connection then yes it can decode the digital Soarview signal.
    Many will also have a satellite receiver built in too. She can connect her old sky satellite dish to that and get all the free to air satellite channels too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭billbond4

Her sky box will still be getting free to air uk still

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,708 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Possibly a stupid question but I've been living abroad for a while I'm not sure how it works.

My Mam has cancelled Sky so she can't get any channels now.

Wondering is the best option just getting a new TV that has the Saorview channels and as in thread title do all new TVs have these built in now?

Suggest that she considers a combi Saorview/free-to-air sat TV that has the Saorview and sat channels in a single list, from Walker and Toshiba (Toshiba my recommendation). Saorview channels from 1 upwards, satellite channels from 301 upwards.

Examples
    https://powercity.ie/groups/10/12/603
    https://powercity.ie/groups/10/13/627

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭ei9go

Has she an aerial?

Can't get Saorview on SKY without paying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,206 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Look at swapping out the skybox for a Freesat box.

www.freesat.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭decor58

I have been using a Freesat box (Humax HDR 1100s) for a couple of years now with no issues, Sony Saorview tv and the Humax remote works both. You can swap out your Sky box for UK channels but you will need an aerial for Saorview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭greasepalm

But one has to remember where tv is bought as might not be that simple,are uk tvs different than irish tvs in freeview uk versus irish saorview..One reason to check the specs on tv if buying a sat and saorview model.If wanting to record what about a good enigma2 box and hdd for recordings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

greasepalm wrote: »
    But one has to remember where tv is bought as might not be that simple,are uk tvs different than irish tvs in freeview uk versus irish saorview..One reason to check the specs on tv if buying a sat and saorview model.If wanting to record what about a good enigma2 box and hdd for recordings.

I don't think there's a diference, I have a sony TV I got from Amazon UK and it works perfectly with saorview. Saorview uses the DVB-T system which is used all over Europe and lots of other parts of the world too.

Advertisement