Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Oven Issue

Options
  • 20-08-2019 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭

Hi,
    I had a new oven installed recently, and I'm having a little bit of bother.

With the old oven, we always switched off the mains switch (the one with the red light) when the oven or hobs were not in use.

However, the new oven has a clock (digital face) and everytime I turn on the oven, it is requiring me to reset the time on the clock. The problem is that I cannot adjust the temperature until the clock is reset.

So, my question is this - how do I get around this? Should I leave the mains on all the time? Or should I be doing something else?

The oven is a Zanussi

Thanks
    Asitis2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Leave the switch on all the time. The time display uses sod all juice. The red switch is a safety feature in case of fire or when you are changing the hob or oven, there is no need to switch it off every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

If you want the clock to keep time you need to keep the power on.
    We only turn ours off when leaving the house empty for a week or more.
    Just make sure the switches on the hob and the oven itself are set to 0/off especially when going to bed.
    Most newer ovens have this feature.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

With the old oven, we always switched off the mains switch (the one with the red light) when the oven or hobs were not in use.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,595 ✭✭✭✭looksee

2011 wrote: »
    Why?

Some people are just switcher-offers. I am a bit that way myself. Old habit I suppose.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

looksee wrote: »
    Some people are just switcher-offers. I am a bit that way myself. Old habit I suppose.

A bit strange as clearly the oven is designed to be left powered up :confused:

It’s ok once you accept that disconnecting an electrical clock from the power will mean that it will reset it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Turnrew

I don't recall too many fires from appliances on standby

I doubt they've got safer

Most fires seem to be fridges and dryers ,power supplies too

Constantly operating a maintenance switch (that’s what the oven isolator is after all) often leads to it failing prematurely (due to excessive wear) which in some cases results in it becoming a fire hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,461 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

With older hobs its easy to turn them on accidentally. No harm having those turned off at the wall. Unfortunately the oven is usually on the same switch

Advertisement