Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Didn't use my bike for several months

Options
  • 20-08-2019 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I bought a brand new Giant ATX 2 June last year and I only used it a few times since then. The bike wasn't used at all for the past couple of months but I will start using it daily in order to commute to work.

I don't know much about bicycle maintenance therefore I wanted to know what i should do before starting to use it again? The chain and all other components are a little bit dusty but appear to be working well.

I wanted to know if there anything that I must do before riding the bike daily to work (on top of making sure that the tyres have the correct pressure) ? Should i just add some oil to the chain? Do you recommend any of Lidl products for this? https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/cycling-back-in-the-saddle/bicycle-cleaning-assortment/p23937

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

pump the tyres, oil the chain and bring it out for a quick spin to make sure everything is in working order.

the first product listed it an all weather chain spray - give the chain a light spray with that and wipe off any excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Give it a wash too, washing it is a good way to force yourself to find problems.

ED E wrote: »
    Give it a wash too, washing it is a good way to force yourself to find problems.

Great advice, many a time I've notice X is looking a little worn or Y needs replacing when washing the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Amouar

the first product listed it an all weather chain spray - give the chain a light spray with that and wipe off any excess.

I just bought the all weather chain spray from Lidl. Should I apply it on both sides of the chain or only on the top of the chain? Do I need to wait for it to dry before moving the pedals in order to apply it on the whole chain?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Amouar wrote: »
    I just bought the all weather chain spray from Lidl. Should I apply it on both sides of the chain or only on the top of the chain? Do I need to wait for it to dry before moving the pedals in order to apply it on the whole chain?

Thanks

Run the chain backwards by turning the pedals backwards and spray as you turn till you’ve the chain covered. Keep turning the chain to ensure it’s properly covered and then wipe the excess from the sides (get a cloth between fingers and thumb and grip the sides of the chain and turn the pedal/crank.

Make sure when you are spraying that you are not getting any on the alloy braking surface of the rear wheel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement