Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What type of haircut have you?

• 21-08-2019 2:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,998 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Up until a last year I used have curly hair that was a few inches long and I used get it cut a few times a years.(It looked terribly to be honest). It was also sort of graying.
    I got a 4 and 2 cut then and have messed around with similar style cuts in the past year 3 and 1/etc once got a scissors cut on top and sides was a 2.(It didn't look great).
    Go about every 3/4 weeks. Unsure what to get next time.
    Shorter without a doubt suits me better.

What type of haircut have you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭Liamalone

I only have hair on my balls, number three all around, no attachment on the actual balls.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

3 blade at the back and sides with a scissors cut at the top. I am a late convert to all things hair gel so maybe that would help OP.

On balls I go with a scissors too as I like the danger element.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,181 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Number three blade back-and-sides, scissors trim on top. No gel, no interfering with the Gentleman's Vegetables region or anywhere else. I do use a shot of conditioner now and then, this is due to the influence of Woman. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

pretty much the same, three on the sides and scissors on top - I tend to only use gel when it gets back to a certain length (probably 4/5 cm at the longest part of the top) as it gets fairly unmanageable otherwise. Normally, when I can't step out without gel and not be mistaken for someone who just finished setting up a wind tunnel, it's the sign I need to visit the barber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭uch

I'm almost completely white now, so I go for 1 on back and sides, 3 on top and blend in, benefit of being white is if I make an arsé of shaving it it's really difficult to spot, also being so short I don't need to worry about Gel or combing it as a quick splash in the morning with cold water and anything sticking up on my head is then flattened down

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,323 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Haven't had a haircut since I was 18. I'm 35 now.

Wife says as soon as I start balding it has to go, still look like Fabio so it's all grand for now :pac:

Shaven to the bone. I hate hair on me head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭source

Balding so, sides is a 2 blade blended into a 3 higher up and a tight scissor cut on top. Beard is a 3 blade all over.

When I had hair I used to do a 2 or 3 blade all over, regret not doing more with it now.

No idea why the balls were brought up but a slight trim every now and again keeps them neat. I dislike the discomfort that comes with cutting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Shaved head and beard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,069 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

37now so im going with a slight mullet normal on front with a bit longer at the back. Quite remarkably to my surprise it looks not too bad. Ive had most haircuts so i said id try it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

Number three all over.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Early 40's now; No1 back and sides, with scissor cut on top. Get it cut every month or so, as my hair is thick and nigh on impossible to manage when it gets longer.

In my younger years, it was genarally No.0? all over with home clippers. I sometimes lament back to having an easily cleaned stubbly noggin, but doubt it'd look well in my 40's :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,069 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

byte wrote: »
    Early 40's now; No1 back and sides, with scissor cut on top. Get it cut every month or so, as my hair is thick and nigh on impossible to manage when it gets longer.

In my younger years, it was genarally No.0? all over with home clippers. I sometimes lament back to having an easily cleaned stubbly noggin, but doubt it'd look well in my 40's :)
    Gas a few lads who i grew up with always had the hair skinnt, now have it long in their 40s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

2.5 back and sides with a scissors cut on top, done monthly. I hate when it doesn't sit right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Razor blade on the dome, or a no guard buzz cut if I'm lazy. Growing the beard in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Short back and sides. Side parting. My hair is thick, so used to keep a bit of length on the front; just enough to style it back into a semi-quiff style. Recently I've gone shorter - more of a straight side part, but that requires a touch of gel to tame it. (Mid 40s).
    Speaking of which - I could do with another cut.

As with a lot of things, check out Art Of Manliness for some good guides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

i can't understand why you guys go for such short haircuts. The guy who has cut my hair for over 30 years tells me that cutting you hair short (No. 2 or 3) weakens the hair and leads to baldness. I don't know if this is true, but that's what he told me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

Blade 1 all over, no cost as it's easily done with a shaver at home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Ah stop, started to loose mine when i got married[don't do it guy's] what's left gets a no3.

Slasher wrote: »
    i can't understand why you guys go for such short haircuts. The guy who has cut my hair for over 30 years tells me that cutting you hair short (No. 2 or 3) weakens the hair and leads to baldness. I don't know if this is true, but that's what he told me.

An old wives tell. Like the lark about shaving making the hair grow back thicker.

Bald(ing)ness is caused by the hair follicles not producing hair. Shaving has no impact on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Neckbeard look.
    Long hair and beard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,998 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Slasher wrote: »

I think it's only plucking/waxing that may cause a little damage.

I think the barbers wants to hold onto his customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Very few can cut mine well.

I see young lads in barbers getting very little cut off.

I wonder why they bother.:confused:

They must have very little else to do with their lives IMO.

I like to have mine longish.

Must find someone to cut it right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,731 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What's now called a fade to #3 and longer on top, which used to be in all sorts of ridiculous styles when I was younger.

I've got the same haircut for 21 years now. I used to bleach either the top of all of it for about 15 of those years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Forty Seven

Male pattern balding so I shave my own head at zero and trim my beard with clippers I bought 10 years ago. Saved me a fortune over the years. Got told I looked like Jason Stathan the other day so my technique must have improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Stigura

When I was younger, I was a 'Hippie' and just let it grow down my back.

Now ~ and for some years since (Decade or two) I've just used a bare bladed Wahl, using my glasses arms as a template above my beard. Leave it alone, once the air cools.

But, it does start to feel 'Wrong', once it gets past a certain length and thickness. I guess I just no longer like having hair on my head :confused:

Thing is though; I wear a hat :|

I guess I now use my hair more for natural thermoregulation then. What I look like isn't exactly a concern me. 'People' likely just see the hat and the beard.

Funny, that. Because I used to be clean shaven and my long hair was what it was all about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Same haircut since 1997.

3 at the back and sides and a scissors on top.

I was thinking of going to the grooming rooms in Dublin to get it cut. They will recommend what style suits you but I still haven't got round to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Zero skin fade up to a well blended in scissor top. Bit of gel and wear it messy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

2 or a 3 back and sides, scissors on top, whole lot brushed to the right. Never have been overly peculiar, used to get tighter sides (down to a 0.5 or 1) but not anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

1 back and sides, high fade, trim on top...

I'm contemplating letting the top grow out a bit but I've about 19 calf licks which makes it virtually impossible to manage my fringe.

Blowtorch to the balls once a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Couple of inches on the side, bit longer on top. I get the ends trimmed and get him to thin it out like there is no tomorrow when I go for a hair cut. It's mad thick so I have to go once a month to get it sorted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Blade 1 back and sides, scissors on top with a little extra growth at the front so I can put a bit of a spike or wave in it. Going salt and pepper dark brown/grey but told it looks good on me.

Grow a trimmed beard or goatee on and off every year at autumn/winter and usually go clean shaven for spring/summer, but that can vary.

Use a barber on NCR who does a pretty good job for €12, usually give him a tip to round it off to €15.

Thinking of growing it longer to a layered style but my OH wouldn’t be too keen on that. He’s not thrilled when I grow the beard but it’s my face!

Had very long hair in my grunge student days between 1993 and 1998. It was a complete bitch to keep straight after washing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭landofthetree

So will Coronavirus impact men's hairstyles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,998 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I got my last cut on the 20th of February 2 on top and 1 and o.5 on the sides.
    I nearly went longer because I planned to getting two more haircuts before Easter!(Well that didn't work out)

Advertisement