Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living month to month

Options
  • 21-08-2019 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey.

I'm probably not the first here but me and my GF are renting a really nice house in Louth but after 6 months we are really struggling to keep afloat.
    It's a 2 bed house with the upstairs never used except only when friends are visiting.

I have a good relationship with my Landlord but I am uneasy about bringing up sub letting or Airbnbing the upstairs of the house to someone.

We are afraid of we do being it up it might be an excuse to try and get rid of us. The house was extremely sought after when viewing so getting another tenant is no problem to them.

Just looking for some advice we are only 10 min drive to Dundalk IT so ik sure we could get someone easily.

It would be great to ease the pain of renting as with Bill's and oil its costing is over €1500 a month.

Hope someone can offer some advice on what I could do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Do you not sleep upstairs???

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Davegrohl99

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Do you not sleep upstairs???

The house is a newly restored 1930's house with master bedroom with ensuite downstairs.

The upstairs was converted to a double bedroom and a full bathroom with bath but only family and friends use it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Have you considered moving? It would have to be an amazing place for me to pay that much in that location.

I live less than 5 minutes from the college so know the area really well, and I can't see why you would pay that much.

To answer your question though, look at the rent a room scheme rather than Airbnb its more tax efficient for you but would mean taking a lodger in permanently.

If you're there 6 months you've got Part 4 rights so asking to take someone on won't get you evicted, and Dundalk is an RPZ now so any rent increases are limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Sounds like you've overstretched yourselves... I'm sure the landlord didn't put the effort into restoring it so that it could be sublet or airBnB'd by the sitting tenents. You should consider whether to stay and continue to pay at the current or increased costs if LL choses to up the rent... or to move to somewhere more suitable for your needs & budget.

Have you considered moving? It would have to be an amazing place for me to pay that much in that location.

I live less than 5 minutes from the college so know the area really well, and I can't see why you would pay that much.

To answer your question though, look at the rent a room scheme rather than Airbnb its more tax efficient for you but would mean taking a lodger in permanently.

If you're there 6 months you've got Part 4 rights so asking to take someone on won't get you evicted, and Dundalk is an RPZ now so any rent increases are limited.

Do you need to be an owner of the property for the rent a room scheme?

I'm pretty sure in my tenancy contract subletting is not allowed.

What would be the best way to bring this up to the landlord just to be up front and say ae have no problem paying rent Bill's etc but we are barely surviving after that?

I presume Daft would be the best way to try and look for someone. I'm about 10 min drive from DKIT so it would suit a student who would like to stay out of the town in the countryside or a professional commuting to Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

What does your lease say?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

read your lease carefully. See what is specifically excluded, it should be clear if subletting or short term lets have been explicitly forbidden.

if its not in writing i would proceed discreetly as opposed to seeking permission.

+1 to the rent a room scheme, i know a couple of people who have or are renting 1 room in their house - it appear to work well.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Sounds like you've overstretched yourselves... I'm sure the landlord didn't put the effort into restoring it so that it could be sublet or airBnB'd by the sitting tenents. You should consider whether to stay and continue to pay at the current or increased costs if LL choses to up the rent... or to move to somewhere more suitable for your needs & budget.

Have been looking and to be honest there is no where else suitable at the moment.

Rent prices are through the roof and with little 1 bed apartments being nearly 1k a month now also in the area.

pc7 wrote: »
    What does your lease say?

3.12 Not to assign or sublet, part with possession of the property, or let or allow any other person live at the property without the Landlord's written consent and to pay to the Landlord any reasonable costs or expenses incurred in deciding this request whether consent is granted or refused.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

3.12 Not to assign or sublet, part with possession of the property, or let or allow any other person live at the property without the Landlord's written consent and to pay to the Landlord any reasonable costs or expenses incurred in deciding this request whether consent is granted or refused.

Well there is your answer, contact the landlord and ask are they open to you renting the room upstairs out. Explain you are struggling with the current amount, all they can say is no.

• Advertisement

Do you need to be an owner of the property for the rent a room scheme?

I'm pretty sure in my tenancy contract subletting is not allowed.

What would be the best way to bring this up to the landlord just to be up front and say ae have no problem paying rent Bill's etc but we are barely surviving after that?

I presume Daft would be the best way to try and look for someone. I'm about 10 min drive from DKIT so it would suit a student who would like to stay out of the town in the countryside or a professional commuting to Dublin.

No, as a tenant you can use the scheme. You'll have to declare the income to revenue but it's tax free (up to a limit you won't breach), income from Airbnb is fully taxable.

Daft, or a notice in the college, maybe check if there's an accommodation office there.

I wouldn't mention a reason to the landlord, just say you'd be interested in taking on another housemate and see what the landlord says.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Have been looking and to be honest there is no where else suitable at the moment.

Rent prices are through the roof and with little 1 bed apartments being nearly 1k a month now also in the area.

Those prices for Dundalk are Nuts but you have still picked the top end of rentals in your area and you overstretched yourself.

A 2 bed apartment for 1100 is 400 less a month, 4.8k less a year. Apartments are cheaper to heat and clean, have a lot of shared costs in the rent(bins/outdoor maintainence). Your looking at the difference of 5k a year in money out of your pockets by pushing hard for that house.

Those prices for Dundalk are Nuts but you have still picked the top end of rentals in your area and you overstretched yourself.

A 2 bed apartment for 1100 is 400 less a month, 4.8k less a year. Apartments are cheaper to heat and clean, have a lot of shared costs in the rent(bins/outdoor maintainence). Your looking at the difference of 5k a year in money out of your pockets by pushing hard for that house.

Sorry to clarify rent is €1100 for the 2 bed house with Bill's etc its bringing it closer to €1500 but just an estimate month to month.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

400 for bills is nuts, I'd be looking at that first.

I don't think the house is even in Dundalk, OP mentions it being 10 minutes from the college and in the countryside so I'm guessing Castlebellingham, Dromiskin or KNockbridge areas.

Either way, €1500 (incl. oil) for a 2 bed is crazy expensive.

Edit: I see rent is €1100.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Sorry to clarify rent is €1100 for the 2 bed house with Bill's etc its bringing it closer to €1500 but just an estimate month to month.

Are you including food shopping in that €400 per month. There is no way that heating, electricity and bins should be costing you €400 per month, if they are you seriously need to look at what you are doing wrong in that sense rather than the rent you are paying

I don't think the house is even in Dundalk, OP mentions it being 10 minutes from the college and in the countryside so I'm guessing Castlebellingham, Dromiskin or KNockbridge areas.

Either way, €1500 (incl. oil) for a 2 bed is crazy expensive.

Yes outside dundalk in a very scenic location.
    House came with an empty oil tank so we have hard to try slowly fill it up over the last couple of months approx €150-200 a month so bills will be lessened during winter
    Bill's are only about €200 a month but with the oil situation it brough it up for the first few months

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Thank God (your choice which one) theres no broadband out that far yet... you'd have another bill to pay...

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Thank God (your choice which one) theres no broadband out that far yet... you'd have another bill to pay...

I bet the OP is in Blackrock and the broadband there is great. Last time I checked mine it was close to 400mbps.

Have you an idea in your head of your proposal to the landlord? Eg you pay €800 other person pays €300? Is it worth losing your space for that? Lots of threads in A&P about hassle of sharing with a couple.

• Advertisement

pc7 wrote: »
    Have you an idea in your head of your proposal to the landlord? Eg you pay €800 other person pays €300? Is it worth losing your space for that? Lots of threads in A&P about hassle of sharing with a couple.

Wouldn't want to let a couple into the house it's small enough already.

Was thinking down the lines of a mature student or foreign exchange student for one of the colleges.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭YipeeDee

There’s your answer. No subletting is written into your lease agreement.
    You can however, ask their permission.

Wouldn't want to let a couple into the house it's small enough already.
    No I meant that people may not want to share with you, as you guys are a couple. But before you go planning who you want in it, you really need to discuss it with your landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Why not simply ask the landlord about getting another tenant in for the upstairs.

He cannot kick you out for dinky asking as you have part IV

i'd just get someone to move in and say nothing.
    In fact we did it for 12 months while saving for our house.
    Extra 6k towards our deposit after a year.

i'd just get someone to move in and say nothing.
    In fact we did it for 12 months while saving for our house.
    Extra 6k towards our deposit after a year.

You do realise you are recommending the tenant breaches the terms of their tenancy lease agreement?
    If they do that, the LL has the right to evict.

YipeeDee wrote: »
    You do realise you are recommending the tenant breaches the terms of their tenancy lease agreement?
    If they do that, the LL has the right to evict.

I do,
    But if he doesn't he's out anyway (cant afford it).
    I hadn't seen my LL in 6 years so wasn't ever worried.

I do,
    But if he doesn't he's out anyway (cant afford it).
    I hadn't seen my LL in 6 years so wasn't ever worried.

So you are knowingly advocating for people to break the law.
    If my tenant breached our tenancy agreement and sublet without my written consent.
    I’d be moving to evict them as soon as possible.

Advertisement